Worst SuperBowl Winning team

On my way in to work this morning, a great topic came up on the local morning sports show, which was the worst superbowl winning team in NFL history, I thought it was an interesting look into some of the teams that won.

My first pick was the 2005 Steelers, and really had to think about this one. Who would you pick as the worst?

Whatever team Trent Dilfer QB'ed. The Ravens? Brian Billick probably the worst coach to win a SB too.

PTR

Come on man. Along with the '85 Bears, the greatest defense of my lifetime. I know it's cliche to cite Dilfer as the worst Super Bowl winning QB but that team was awesome. They beat the crap out of a Giants team that just beat the crap out of the Culpepper/Moss/Carter Vikings the week before. They were not an offensive juggernaut (although they did have two hall of famers on offense- Jonathan Ogden and Shannon Sharpe- not to mention Jamal Lewis in his prime) but if a team had as good an offense as any in NFL history and an average defense, something tells me you wouldn't have mentioned them here.

Boy..I wish we had been the worst team to win the superbowl instead of maybe the best team to ever lose a superbowl (against the Giants).

Uhhh the 16-0 Patriots? The 2007 Patriots were easily the most dominant regular season football team I've ever seen.

Didn't the Giants win the Superbowl with a 9-7 team? That was also a "relatively" bad team that just got hot at the right time and got lucky with a sticky helmet catch.

Yeah, but they get a pass because they, you know, beat the Pats*.

We have a winner! How about the 10 win Ravens this past season?

This year's Ravens team is in the conversation. But it's such a layered conversation because they beat the heavily favored Broncos and Patriots on the road. It was a fantastic playoff run. Are we talking worst regular season team? Because by the time they got to the Super Bowl, they were a hell of a football team. Same with the two Giants teams of the last decade.

The '01, '03, '04 Spygate Patriots.

They won all three Super Bowls by 3 points each.

I would have to say the '01 Patriots are your winner. The '03 and '04 teams were great teams and were heavily favored in the Super Bowl, but the first team that beat the Rams was really flukey. That's my final answer. I'm out.

I don't really know what most people read as the worst team to win a superbowl but I'm going with the 2002 Bucs. Just came out of no where from 5-11 to finish 11-5 then put up a 7-9, 5-11 the next two years. Just seems like the team got it together for that one year and then disappeared.

1972 Fins because they JUST WONT GO AWAY

I also hate that team very much, and will also give it another sympathy vote.... as much as I hated to see the paytoilets in the superbowl again in 2007, I REALLY wanted them to beat the Gnats JUST so those douchebags would no longer be the only team.

The Baltimore Ravens team that beat the Giants in 2000. I think they went on a 5-6 game stretch where they didn't even score a touchdown. The 9-7 Giants of recent years is also up there. The Pats team that beat the Rams was also mediocre at best- I think we all agree that their taping of the Rams practices gave them a big advantage.

1970 Baltimore Colts. Finished 11-2-1. Beat the Bills by 6 and tied them. Bills won 3. Beat the Patriots twice. Pats won 2 games. Beat the Jets twice. They won 4. Beat SD 16-14. Chargers went 5-6-3 that year. 3 ties! Beat the Oilers by 4. They won 3 games. Beat Philly. They won 3. Beat Chicago & Green Bay who were both 6-8. Split with Miami. Lost to the Chiefs who were 7-5-2. Regular season they only won one out of three games against a team with a winning record. Playoffs they got Cincinnati in the first round. Cincy was 8-6 and in their 3rd year of existence. Beat the Raiders at home in the AFC Champ Game. George Blanda was at QB for the Raiders. He was only 43 at the time. Had a decent game except for the 3 picks he threw. Beat Dallas 16-13 in the Super Bowl. Baltimore had 7 turnovers in the game and still managed to win. Craig Morton was the Dallas QB. Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall were the Baltimore QB's. Both in their late 30's. Unitas got knocked out in the 2nd quarter. Some say it was the worst Super Bowl ever played. 11 turnovers, lots of penalties and punts. Dallas LB Chuck Howley was the MVP- only time a player from the losing team was named MVP. Colts had a very, very easy schedule and caught Oakland and Dallas while they were starting to build their great 1970's teams.

I also hate that team very much, and will also give it another sympathy vote.... as much as I hated to see the paytoilets in the superbowl again in 2007, I REALLY wanted them to beat the Gnats JUST so those douchebags would no longer be the only team.

Haha. I was the only one at my party rooting for the Patriots, for that very reason............And those 72 Dolphins were lame. Their schedule was so weak. I don't think they played a playoff team or a team over .500 - something crazy like that. I know the Bills had a bad record and came within a point or two of beating them............In fact, they are the worst team to ever win the Super Bowl!

Well, the '68 Jets lost to lowly Denver, barely beat KC in the opener, lost to us (our ONLY win of the season!), nearly lost to us again 3 months later, lost to the Raiders in Heidi and just slipped past Oakland in the the AFL title game.

Lucky for them, they met an over-rated Colts team in Miami (tongue in cheek)..

I have to go with this year's Ravens. They were one 4th and 26 play away from not even making the playoffs, a blown coverage by the Broncos got them into the superbowl and they needed a pass interference to stop the 49ers from scoring a game winning TD. Obviously they weren't a BAD team to have gone that far, every SB winner has some luck along the way, but those 3 instances were huge.

Green Bay Packers = Super Bowl #1

If the Bills beat KC & get into the first Super Bowl, we would have won!

I've always thought that myself. Kemp had a great offensive line, great receivers and a hell of a running game, and the defense was out of this world. Plus you had Gogolak to kick field goals. On the other hand I think the Packers were still a very good football team and probably not the worst to win the superbowl two years running.

The Baltimore Ravens team that beat the Giants in 2000. I think they went on a 5-6 game stretch where they didn't even score a touchdown. The 9-7 Giants of recent years is also up there. The Pats team that beat the Rams was also mediocre at best- I think we all agree that their taping of the Rams practices gave them a big advantage.

Well that and Martz refusal to give the ball to Faulk.

I have to go with this year's Ravens. They were one 4th and 26 play away from not even making the playoffs, a blown coverage by the Broncos got them into the superbowl and they needed a pass interference to stop the 49ers from scoring a game winning TD. Obviously they weren't a BAD team to have gone that far, every SB winner has some luck along the way, but those 3 instances were huge.

To be fair they sat everyone in week17 so they might've made the playoffs w/out the 4th&26 miracle. The Denver play was a miracle but they also gave up two kick return TD's in that game and soundly beat the Patriots - that has to be worth something.

The '01 Pats were unbelievably lucky in literally every single playoff game (Tuck Rule, 2 Special Teams TD's in Pittsburgh, doubled by the Rams in yardage...) not to mention a chicken***t fumble call vs a 3-13 Bills team gave them a bye and the division.

That 2000 Ravens team had one of the all time great defenses. The reason they went 5 or so games without a touchdown and kept winning was an incredible ability to shut out the opponent as they got into the redzone. Offense wasn't great but it's the last of those old ground and pound and rely on our D teams of the pre pass happy NFL.

It's not the best team to win a Super Bowl but it's pretty good overall.

Wouldn't the keyword, here, be "WON?"

Ok, kraftie

Boy..I wish we had been the worst team to win the superbowl instead of maybe the best team to ever lose a superbowl (against the Giants).

It just adds to the aura and mystique of the franchise, along with the music city miracle and the greatest playoff comeback in nfl history.