How many WRs can a team carry?

I'll be disappointed if they're all NOT on the final roster. Kauffman to PS, B. Smith to the curb.

Absolute NO to cuttting B. Kaufmann! -Are you listening Marrone? NO WAY! The kid has what it takes to be the face of the Bills offense. All he does is hang on to big catches. No coverage can stop him once that ball is over his shoulder.

Why not cut a convicted scrub like Kolb or Hogan? IMO, There's simply too much young, speedy, talent for these "second chance" m0therf__rs to hang on. -Cut 'em all. Off-load TJ Graham too while your'e at it.

I'd keep Kaufmann, Easley, Woods, Goodwin and Rodgers. Dorin Dickerson and Nick Provo make my Roster too. -I'm fine with an embarassment of riches at WR.

Absolute NO to cuttting B. Kaufmann! -Are you listening Marrone? NO WAY! The kid has what it takes to be the face of the Bills offense. All he does is hang on to big catches. No coverage can stop him once that ball is over his shoulder.

Why not cut a convicted scrub like Kolb or Hogan? IMO, There's simply too much young, speedy, talent for these "second chance" m0therf__rs to hang on. -Cut 'em all. Off-load TJ Graham too while your'e at it.

I'd keep Kaufmann, Easley, Woods, Goodwin and Rodgers. Dorin Dickerson and Nick Provo make my Roster too. -I'm fine with an embarassment of riches at WR.

It was Grahams blocking that got CJ loose on the two runs. Me thinks the light has come on for that young man and he is going to have a great year.

Ed McCaffrey. Not the fastest tall white guy but he could get open enough and catch what needed to be caught. 101 receptions from Elway in 2000. Kaufman is intrigueing. It is complete unfounded speculation on my part but I think Kaufman should be the 7th wr kept on the roster.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you have more than five WRs on a roster? I realize you might be able to have a KR/PR guy sub in. Just wondering if there is an instance of a team carrying 5+ WRs

What is this, a trick question, the answer is 53.

There is no reason to keep more than 6. How often does the 6th or 7th WR get on the field?

In the past 7 might be a bit too much. From what I keep hearing this is a passing league now. In order to keep our 1's and 2's fresh we need quality backups. Since the league is gearing its rules to help wr's then our team needs more quality wr's to take advantage of such rules. We potentially have a stable of wideouts that can dominate if they live up to their potential. It's a passing league so I hear, so we need people who can take advantage of that. The more the merrier.

Of course this is completely my unfounded refutable whimsical speculation.

Go Bills!!!

I expect they'll carry seven. SJ, TJ, Woods, Rogers, Easely, Goodwin, Hogan. B Kauf to the practice squad. Brad Smith has shown nothing. Although, after he restructured, I thought he would be a roster lock. It's looking more and more like he'll be out of Buffalo fast than some hot wings through a truck driver.

I cannot imagine Summers making this team very easily.

CJ does not run in ways condusive for a FB to benefit him. Jackson does, however. He will have more limitted time this year and if he is unable to cut and move quick enough a FB is going to get in his way.

If Larry Centers was around he'd make this team in a heart beat. If Sam Gash was here I would say 50/50 with our running backs. And I loved Gash.

Not only will Summers make the team as a FB, his special teams work will help his cause. See the Goodwin return.

i also expect Choice to be cut. In favor of Gaskins.

I also think Dickerson makes the team. As a TE/FB. Kind of a Chris Cooley type of role here.

I think we go shorter on DL a little bit because of our depth there. Guys like Kule and Dareus that can play both DE and DT. And guys like Carrington that can do that as well as fill in as a LB(we've seen it before) not like I expect that though. There are others on the DL that are very versatile and then there's Scott that I could either see as a cut, or as a keeper because he can okay both S and LB in a pinch.

Choice will make team over Gaskins due to his pass protection ability. Gaskins to practice squad.

In the past 7 might be a bit too much. From what I keep hearing this is a passing league now. In order to keep our 1's and 2's fresh we need quality backups. Since the league is gearing its rules to help wr's then our team needs more quality wr's to take advantage of such rules. We potentially have a stable of wideouts that can dominate if they live up to their potential. It's a passing league so I hear, so we need people who can take advantage of that. The more the merrier.

The other argument for keeping 7 wideouts besides what you mentioned is that it's possible that the Bills run 10-20 more offensive plays per game than what is considered average.

That adds up to a lot more running of patterns.

Not only will Summers make the team as a FB, his special teams work will help his cause. See the Goodwin return.

Actually Goodwin's returns.

Summers was instrumental on both big returns and in fact, both plays were very similar.

In the 53 argument, the real important number is 46, the number of players you dress. If you keep 7 Wrs, you very likely only dress 5, which is a waste of a roster spot. There is little chance we keep 7 especially because we have problematic back-ups at OL and CB where we may need more bodies.

Exactly. And I want to keep them all somehow. Well, at least the top 6. stevie, goodwin, graham, woods, da'rick, and easley

I also like Kaufmann. I like them all. I think we will carry 6 with the O that we are planning to run. I'm guessing the Steelers and Pats will be picking up whoever we cut. Most likely the Pats. Wonder if we can "trade" them to another team for nothing. Or a conditional 7th rounder if the individual plays so many games/yards, etc.

Our pre-season superstars are not "trade bait." Teams don't trade draft picks for UDFAs who haven't played a game in the league...

I'm not sure this is true. When our guys are raking it in preseason, and SD has a legit QB with no one to throw the ball to, it could be tempting for them to trade something. Even a conditional 7th. Better than cutting and getting nothing and having the Pats* get them.

Well, at least you're not getting ahead of yourself.

I expect the Bills to keep 6 WRs at this point, possibly 7, but only if that seventh player is B. Smith.

SJ/Woods/Graham/Goodwin are all virtual locks at this point, barring injury.

D. Rogers still needs to prove himself, but his size/speed/hands/youth/potential are too great to cut him, especially for a team that is going with the youth movement.

Easley showed me that he can be a consistent pass catcher. He is another big, athletic WR who can outmuscle a lot of the CB competition. If he can continue to win the inside position on his pass routes he will likely make the team as the #6 WR.

B. Smith is the wildcard, especially now that he has taken a significant pay cut. Smith is extremely valuable because he can contribute to the team in so many ways. He is a coach's dream for that reason and will be very difficult to cut when determining roster spots #51, #52, and #53.

FB F. Summers will play a big role in the final decision more so for his ST contributions than anything else. If he continues to play and block the way that he has on ST (he was the guy who was springing Goodwin for the long runs) he could force his way onto the roster as player #53.

At this point, I could see the Bills taking Rogers/Smith/Summers ahead of Easley because Rogers and Easley are essentially the same body type with Rogers having a higher ceiling.

Easley faces an uphill battle for those reasons.

I'd like to seem them keep 7 WRs and just two TEs. I hate the idea of carrying horrible players just becasue of positional scarcity. Obviously there are certain positions you can't short (OL, QB etc) but keeping 3 TEs from this crop seems like a waste. Certainly one of these guys can be stashed on the practice squad.

On the dark side of my mind I almost cringe at the depth we have at the WR position. Why you ask? Because I'm fairly certain we will be forced to let good players go. They will end up in NE. They will teach Bellicheat the playbook. They will burn us.

Paranoia I suppose,

I think the Wr situation needs to get resolved sooner than later. I am guessing that after game 2 of the preseason they will have their minds made up. And, I think chemistry between QB and receivers is better when more work together is accomplished. So, haveing 12 candidates seems like the work is spread around to much. I would like to see the young talent all stay. Willing to let Brad Smith go, he is at best a journeyman receiver, and maybe not even that, since he has done so many other things in his career.

the undrafted guys who can play are really a problem, since the Bills staff is so mentally invested in the draft choices. DaRick needs time to mature, he looks like a stud to me...hope they keep him. Kaufmann was undrafted, and I would like to see him on the practice squad...those speed guys are great until they get hurt. Frankly, I was not impressed with Wood at Indy. Easley is an real question mark. If he is so good now, how come he didn't see the field at all last year as a receiver when he was active? (ran back a kickoff for a TD I recall) Something wrong there, maybe he doesn't have it between the ears. Don't know. He sure looked good at Indy, and I don't understand him being showcased like that unless he/Tuel have some chemistry the others do not.

Frankly, I was not impressed with Wood at Indy.

Really? Why not?

I know there is a lot of love for our WRs right now. But I'm not feeling it. What we have at WR is a lot of POTENTIAL which as HOF Bill Parcells says, it means you haven't done anything yet.

Could be great, could be more of the same as we've had around here. I read every year that we're stacked at WR, so I guess it's not surprising.

SJ - A real NFL player.

Robert Woods - This cat looks good and chances are he will be good.

TJ Graham - A real question mark last year. Played well Sunday but is by no means a lock to be good this year.

Goodwin - Greezed Lighting Fast. But really, we already had good kick returners. They didn't even throw a ball to him Sunday. Not sure if he was even in at WR.

Easley - Looked great Sunday. But couldn't get on the field the last 3 years. Could be more a reflection on Coach Gailey than Marcus. I really like what I saw Sunday, but in pre seasons past he seemed to have problems catching the football in traffic.

Da'Rick Rogers - Looked good catching the TD pass Sunday. Was good in college if he stays out of trouble. By no means a lock to produce.

Hogan - Dropped one Sunday. Not a good sign.

Kaufman - Honestly I don't know much about this guy.

Brad Smith - Has played WR for us in the past. If it's a perfect pass while he's open he'll probably catch it. Not the quality of WR a team needs to win.

Did I miss anyone?

I hope this turns out good because we've been lacking at WR since at least 2009.

Edited by reddogblitz

Really? Why not?

I know there is a lot of love for our WRs right now. But I'm not feeling it. What we have at WR is a lot of POTENTIAL

Odds are a few will work out, a few fail miserably. Even if only a few work out, were in pretty good shape at WR. Not elite, but nfl caliber - which is a step up. If we get lucky the sky's the limit.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you have more than five WRs on a roster? I realize you might be able to have a KR/PR guy sub in. Just wondering if there is an instance of a team carrying 5+ WRs

I'm hoping for 6!

The other argument for keeping 7 wideouts besides what you mentioned is that it's possible that the Bills run 10-20 more offensive plays per game than what is considered average.

That adds up to a lot more running of patterns.

That's a really good point. With the extra offensive plays expected to be run this season along with the idea of stretching the field, the Bills wideouts run the risk of getting winded. They'll get the chance to run other defenses ragged but hopefully not at the cost of running our wideouts ragged as well. Keeping 7 would help keep the stable fresh.

Exactly. And I want to keep them all somehow. Well, at least the top 6. stevie, goodwin, graham, woods, da'rick, and easley

Agreed 100%...

And honestly...Despite the old-school-Gailey-era-garbage-theory I heard spewed this AM on WGR by Joe B (And I like Joe B...I just disagree with his take on this point...) about how important Brad Smith's leadership is in this locker room...If the Bills final Roster does not include those 6 WR's you listed, I'm going to be pissed off...Not that it matters, or that it's any surprise that I'm angry...I'm pretty much angry all the time... :D

This is a new era...A new talented Coaching Staff that...hopefully...has their eyes on a future prize much bigger than the leadership a part-time WR, and solid Special Teams player, is going to offer the locker room for one season...Brad Smith is no better than the 4th or 5th WR on ANY NFL team...Easley and Rogers have legit #2 WR skills...Granted that may take time to develop...But those skills are not going to develop at all sitting behind a 30 year old jack-of-all-trades-type...

I like Brad Smith...But sorry Joe B...This is not Ralph/Gailey's Bills any longer...And it's time to move on from these past thoughts and theories that led to years of losing...Give these Coaches the most talented kids and let them grow up together...I think that's the way this team should be built...And with that being said...No way would I cut Rogers or Easley... B-)

Agreed 100%...

And honestly...Despite the old-school-Gailey-era-garbage-theory I heard spewed this AM on WGR by Joe B (And I like Joe B...I just disagree with his take on this point...) about how important Brad Smith's leadership is in this locker room...If the Bills final Roster does not include those 6 WR's you listed, I'm going to be pissed off...Not that it matters, or that it's any surprise that I'm angry...I'm pretty much angry all the time... :D

This is a new era...A new talented Coaching Staff that...hopefully...has their eyes on a future prize much bigger than the leadership a part-time WR, and solid Special Teams player, is going to offer the locker room for one season...Brad Smith is no better than the 4th or 5th WR on ANY NFL team...Easley and Rogers have legit #2 WR skills...Granted that may take time to develop...But those skills are not going to develop at all sitting behind a 30 year old jack-of-all-trades-type...

I like Brad Smith...But sorry Joe B...This is not Ralph/Gailey's Bills any longer...And it's time to move on from these past thoughts and theories that led to years of losing...Give these Coaches the most talented kids and let them grow up together...I think that's the way this team should be built...And with that being said...No way would I cut Rogers or Easley... B-)

its not the gailey era, but if the sean payton saints are any indication, there could be a spot for brad smith on the roster - they have carried a wr thats a key special teams return man/gunner over more talented projects several years. If brad smith ends up being this rosters courtney roby i wont be that upset.

Edited by NoSaint

its not the gailey era, but if the sean payton saints are any indication, there could be a spot for brad smith on the roster - they have carried a wr thats a key special teams return man/gunner over more talented projects several years. If brad smith ends up being this rosters courtney roby i wont be that upset.

No thanks...I just don't think this team is at the point where they can have a luxury like Smith while allowing a talented younger player to get away...And I don't see how it's possible Smith can be a bigger contributor in any phase of the game than he has been here the past couple years, simply because there is more competition now for playing time...And it's not like he set the world on fire since he's been here, even with a major rash of injuries at the WR position...

Brad Smith is a solid vet...Don't get me wrong...But this is a unique situation...If the Bills keep Smith they are chancing cutting a legit

young talent at WR, while trying to build a talented roster for the future...The Saints are at a completely different organizational point...They are thinking about winning the SB every year, and did just 4 seasons ago...I think Brad Smith would be perfect for a lot of teams...Just not the Bills right now... B-)

I see the team keeping...I see them keeping 6 at least.

safe: SJ, woods, Goodwin, Graham

likely: Rodgers---in terms of upside potential of those remaining he has the highest ceiling.

battling for a spot: Easley, Hogan, and Brad Smith

I can see them cutting a player first to put someone else on the in season IR then resign the player.

Brad smith has an edge because he can be used in the return game/special teams and an emergency QB.

PS: Kauffmann

safe: SJ, woods, Goodwin, Graham

Why is Graham safe? He looked pretty good Sunday, but his hands are hugely suspect unless something changed from last year to this. I remember him dropping 4 passes in one game last year.

Coach Marrone worked for Coach Peyton. Peyton's theory is you gotta have guys that catch the football. If you can't he'll get someone who can. I don't think Graham is safe. Hopefully he catches everything thrown his way Friday night. Hopefully everyone does for that matter.