Does anybody else think that Kolb could be a surprise cut

bufffan031

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuel looks good! Kolb better get back on the field quick. Forget being a starter, as of now he's just fighting for a roster spot

What is your basis for that statement? Provide a link. Or is that just another negative "I hate Kolb for no reason whatsoever" comment?

It has become very obvious to me that you hate Kolb for no reason. You sound like a guy that really doesn't know very much about football.

You'll call him out for 1, 2, maybe even 5 years and once he's gone you'll say..."told ya so".

Let things play out, man ! Kolb may well end up being a very valuable addition to this franchise when its all said and done.

jb

What is your basis for that statement? Provide a link. Or is that just another negative "I hate Kolb for no reason whatsoever" comment?

It has become very obvious to me that you hate Kolb for no reason. You sound like a guy that really doesn't know very much about football.

You'll call him out for 1, 2, maybe even 5 years and once he's gone you'll say..."told ya so".

Let things play out, man ! Kolb may well end up being a very valuable addition to this franchise when its all said and done.

jb

Kevin is that you? C'mon man quit trollin the TBD forums and get back on the field. Jeff Tuel is going to take your roster spot!

Edited by kdiggz

Put a player A / player B situation in play without thinking about what a player has done in the past, and it doesn't look as good for Kolb. It's really a situation where the experience and having seen different situations on field could come to benefit Kolb. If Kolb gets cut, it'll be because the team has (I worry, outsized) faith in the ability of two rookies to step in and keep the machine running without having worked with anything like it for very long.

Good thing no one is overreacting to the 1st preseason game of the year. Carry on.

To be fair, the thread was started before the game. But yes. people saw things they were excited about in it. It's exciting, but even one good regular season game can be deceptively promising (see: Johnson, Rob).

To be fair, the thread was started before the game. But yes. people saw things they were excited about in it. It's exciting, but even one good regular season game can be deceptively promising (see: Johnson, Rob).

You're right. But does anyone really think we are only going to keep 2 rookie QBs? EJ is going to struggle at some point and will need to be replaced once in awhile. Even though we all think we're rebuilding there are some vets who want to win now. The best thing to take from this game is our rookies have talent and seemed comfortable on the field.

You're right. But does anyone really think we are only going to keep 2 rookie QBs? EJ is going to struggle at some point and will need to be replaced once in awhile. Even though we all think we're rebuilding there are some vets who want to win now. The best thing to take from this game is our rookies have talent and seemed comfortable on the field.

I think it is highly unlikely Kolb gets cut and it would be a big mistake. I am not even sure Marone has written him off for the starting role. Tuel looked great against the junior varsity, and although promising, it does not make him a potential starter. Best case for him is they keep him a the third QB rather than risk losing him before they can sign him to the PS. Kolb would be a great backup and insurance policy for a couple of years.

I think it is highly unlikely Kolb gets cut and it would be a big mistake. I am not even sure Marone has written him off for the starting role. Tuel looked great against the junior varsity, and although promising, it does not make him a potential starter. Best case for him is they keep him a the third QB rather than risk losing him before they can sign him to the PS. Kolb would be a great backup and insurance policy for a couple of years.

Agree with all of this.

Kolb has a role to play as the only veteran qb, but I see him now fighting for the number 2 spot with Tuell. I see us keeping three qb's and I suspect the rest of the preseason will be primarily Manuel and Tuell getting the reps. It would be time for a real heart to heart with Kolb as to his potential role on this team.

I'm 100% in agreement.

Also: I wonder if they don't give serious thought to keeping Tuel off of field for most of camp to try to slip him through to the PS.

This only happens if they are really worried about letting go of another vet to keep Tuel. And it is a risk.

Not at all. Injury prone (already shown at Philly and Arizona), reminds me of check down Edwards, and we only need two QB's. The only reason I would keep him on is for veteran QB leadership. If EJ is in a slump...who does he go to besides a coach? I say see how the preseason goes then make a decision but Tuel looked pretty good yesterday

This still is correct. Tuel's impressive performance against future practice squad players did nothing to change it. There's no way the team risks Tuel's departure by sending him to the PS, but there's also no way it cuts Kolb. Tuel will be the third QB while he learns, whether Manuel (my preference) or Kolb starts. In a couple of years, Tuel might be the Bills' version of Matt Cassel, whom they can trade for assets.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Kolb has fell far behind over the last week and when he has been in practice he has not played well. Ej and Tuel have been doing very well in practice and Ej has pulled ahead of Kolb so far for the starting roll. With Ej starting this week and Tuel being the second qb out, they both have a chance to take the top two qb jobs and run with them if they play very well. If Kolb comes out with the third stringers and doesn't play well and is continually bad in practice, I think its a possibility he could be among the final cuts that doesn't make the roster. I don't think its to likely that we go into the season with two rookie qb's but I wouldn't rule it out either.

We MUST start EJ from get go and its not like Kolb is a savvy vet who can be like a 2nd QB coach to help groom him. Fitz would have served better in that role. ONLY good advice Kolb may have would be for which pain killers are good for different ailments! he;s hurt just about everything in his career and spent a ton of time in training room.

I for one, would love to see an extra WR or CB as 53rd guy. We have a ton of guys competing at those positions and a lot of different guys have shown flashes of solid potential. Seeing Roby make that tackle on that flanker screen with a blocker engaged on him that thing of beauty. For guy his size to take on block yet still have the tackle was a very pleasant sight. I REALLY hope he makes team.

I've mentioned this several times. Put, lets put it in perspective. We're down to final cuts, EJ clearly above Kolb, Tuel looking like Frank Reich. Do you want to keep Kevin Kolb over:

Arthur Moats? No.

Many Lawson? Absolutely not.

Bryan Scott? Maybe.

Brad Smith? Yes.

Lee Smith? No.

Chris Gragg? No.

Chris White? Yes.

Mike Caussin? Yes.

Nick Provo? Yes.

Dorin Dickerson*? Yes.

Kourtney Brown? Yes.

OL Player X?

*listed at WR

There, I just removed 6 players from the roster for Kolb.

I suppose you could take a chance, if EJ is going to be the starter, sit Kolb down, tell him EJ is the starter, you're making too much to be the backup. You got your signing bonus, now we want to renego your contract. Or tell him, we're cutting you, but will bring you back again with a reduced contract. The Bill''s are taking a chance someone else may sign him, but they may be willing to take risk. I think the Bill's would like him around, but maybe at less money if he's the backup.

This still is correct. Tuel's impressive performance against future practice squad players did nothing to change it. There's no way the team risks Tuel's departure by sending him to the PS, but there's also no way it cuts Kolb. Tuel will be the third QB while he learns, whether Manuel (my preference) or Kolb starts. In a couple of years, Tuel might be the Bills' version of Matt Cassel, whom they can trade for assets.

I agree with this. Marrone has not committed to keeping 3 QBs, but Tuel is playing so well that they may have to. And there's no way that they go into the season with 2 rookie QBs as the only options.

I suppose you could take a chance, if EJ is going to be the starter, sit Kolb down, tell him EJ is the starter, you're making too much to be the backup. You got your signing bonus, now we want to renego your contract. Or tell him, we're cutting you, but will bring you back again with a reduced contract. The Bill''s are taking a chance someone else may sign him, but they may be willing to take risk. I think the Bill's would like him around, but maybe at less money if he's the backup.

Kolb's contract does not have to re-done if he is the backup.

I'm surprised this thread still has legs. Kolb isn't going anywhere this year. It's not like the Bills have 4 QBs in camp and one has to go. Any QB they bring in will be starting from scratch and there's no way in hell they go into the season with only 2 rookie QBs and no safety net. I don't even know why there's speculation about Kolb being cut other than every time a poster doesn't like a player they start a thread about that player being axed.

I'll tell you right now Brad Smith makes the roster as well.

The idea situation would be E.J. as the starter, Kolb the Vet backup. Tuel on the P.S. squad.

But if Tuel continues to play well with his reps he gets in the preseason games he might not clear waivers...somebody will pick him up for sure.

The Redskins went with 2 rookie QB's last year. It worked out well for them.

Interesting indeed, want to see if Tuel can play like he did in Indy against better comp.

Herm Edwards thinks EJ is ready for the starting job.

"All indications tell me right now - the way he played in that first preseason game - he should be the starter."

Herm was effusive in his praise of EJ.

http://espn.go.com/v...=espnapi_public

Does that make Kolb - and his NFL experience - expendable?

Edited by hondo in seattle

Herm Edwards thinks EJ is ready for the starting job.

"All indications tell me right now - the way he played in that first preseason game - he should be the starter."

Herm was effusive in his praise of EJ.

http://espn.go.com/v...=espnapi_public

Does that make Kolb - and his NFL experience - expendable?

wonder what John Gruden thinks ? lol

But Herm is right... lets play the kid, he learns quickly it seems and the only way to find out in this league is to play.

I'm surprised this thread still has legs. Kolb isn't going anywhere this year. It's not like the Bills have 4 QBs in camp and one has to go. Any QB they bring in will be starting from scratch and there's no way in hell they go into the season with only 2 rookie QBs and no safety net. I don't even know why there's speculation about Kolb being cut other than every time a poster doesn't like a player they start a thread about that player being axed.

I'll tell you right now Brad Smith makes the roster as well.

Me also, as It does seem like crazy talk to me to go into an NFL season with 2 QB's that haven't even played a full game against a 1st string NFL defense. I'm thinking both EJ and Tuel have only seen a portion of the offense and against mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers. I'm still awaiting to see some mid to deep pass plays with TJ & Marquise. The longest pass play so far has been for 29 yards to Easley / Kaufman.

Wow, everyone coming out bold now. There were many here irrationally ready to cut him without much more reasoning then "he sucks."

My theory was that if he was cut it was to increase the play of young guys. Kolb doesn't suck, he is just average based on past merits.

Wow, everyone coming out bold now. There were many here irrationally ready to cut him without much more reasoning then "he sucks."

My theory was that if he was cut it was to increase the play of young guys. Kolb doesn't suck, he is just average based on past merits.

Average? :lol:

He is not even average by Bills standards for the last 13 years. I mean, Fitz was maybe the 25th-27th best QB in the NFL last year and he is miles ahead of Kolb. Kolb has no merits.......he's done nothing. The guy hasn't even registered 10 TD passes in a season in his career and he has merits?

Foolish preseason fans think that having a veteran backup is some sort of guarantee that the QB will keep the team in games. Kolb is guaranteed alright, a guaranteed POS. :thumbsup:

He is not even average by Bills standards for the last 13 years. I mean, Fitz was maybe the 25th-27th best QB in the NFL last year and he is miles ahead of Kolb. Kolb has no merits.......he's done nothing. The guy hasn't even registered 10 TD passes in a season in his career and he has merits?

Foolish preseason fans think that having a veteran backup is some sort of guarantee that the QB will keep the team in games. Kolb is guaranteed alright, a guaranteed POS. :thumbsup:

Yup. Go ahead, Mr Marrone. Just keep on hating. Just keep hating Kolb. You sound like you have a tremendous amount of knowledge. Just keep on hating Bro. Boo as loud as you can. And then Boo again when your potential bust of a #1 round draft pick stinks up the place. EJ is made of glass and you know it. He gets hurt in a pre-season game? Must be he sucks, just like Kolb ey, Einstein ? Using your convoluted short bus logic.

You are the first and definately not the last I'll be putting on the ignore list.

So clueless on so many levels and a great fan of some team...not sure which team but it sure as hell aint Buffalo.

Have mommy make you a glass of chocolate milk and STFU. You have nothing whatsoever intelligent to add to the situation.

This site is a joke. Well, no. The fans of Buffalo are a joke. Pretty sure I'm done here. Good God. What a bunch of idiots.

I think we should still cut him b.c his curse is spreading to EJ. ;)

That right there is heady stuff. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Must be EJ sucks ey meathead? Yea, he got hurt. Just like Kolb. You've said ad nauseum that Kolb sucks because he got hurt. Obviously EJ sucks too since he got hurt. Yea, I think I have this whole thing figured out.

Bills fans, the smartest football fans on the planet. Yupper !!

Loser.

Yup. Go ahead, Mr Marrone. Just keep on hating. Just keep hating Kolb. You sound like you have a tremendous amount of knowledge. Just keep on hating Bro. Boo as loud as you can. And then Boo again when your potential bust of a #1 round draft pick stinks up the place. EJ is made of glass and you know it. He gets hurt in a pre-season game? Must be he sucks, just like Kolb ey, Einstein ? Using your convoluted short bus logic.

You are the first and definately not the last I'll be putting on the ignore list.

So clueless on so many levels and a great fan of some team...not sure which team but it sure as hell aint Buffalo.

Have mommy make you a glass of chocolate milk and STFU. You have nothing whatsoever intelligent to add to the situation.

This site is a joke. Well, no. The fans of Buffalo are a joke. Pretty sure I'm done here. Good God. What a bunch of idiots.

That right there is heady stuff. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Must be EJ sucks ey meathead? Yea, he got hurt. Just like Kolb. You've said ad nauseum that Kolb sucks because he got hurt. Obviously EJ sucks too since he got hurt. Yea, I think I have this whole thing figured out.

Bills fans, the smartest football fans on the planet. Yupper !!

Loser.

Well thought out post. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

Kobb essentially is Kelly Holcomb all over again. Maybe the Bills should put out a feeler to see what Holcomb's up to these days. We know Kobb is but a sneeze away from a ribcage injury.