Why I am not optimistic about this team

The Bills were pro-active in addressing their QB and head coaching positions this offseason, their two primary areas of failure over the past 13 years.

So why shouldn't we be optimistic? IMO an old joke about convenience stores sums it up:

Open 24 hours.....but not in a row.

Over the last 13 years the Bills have shown that sooner or later, they get around to addressing each of their problems........but there is such a decided lack of urgency. By the time they address one....another one or sometimes even MORE problems pop up.

Turning around an organization is no longer about 5 year plans. It's not even about 3 year plans. It's about getting competitive right away.

The ideal situation is bringing in a new coach and giving that coach the tools to be successful while the message is still new and before a lack of results compromises that message.

Teams like San Francisco and Seattle are the standard. While strong coaching has helped those two fast turnarounds, the personnel departments of those teams have been very aggressive.

IMO, the Bills personnel department was tentative this offseason. It seems like they are still working in the era of 3 year and 5 year plans.

They somehow came away with a net loss of personnel this offseason, which is just not what you want your rookie head coach coming into. Marrone is confident, but ALL new head coaches are confident.

I hope I am wrong and EJ Manuel is a revelation and Marrone and Hackett/Pettine take the league by storm but on paper this team looks a disfunctional mess waiting to happen. Maybe Marrone can pull it together.

What I AM excited about is the tailgating. Can't wait for that!

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To flesh out the offseason a bit:

Additions

Player Pos. 2012 team Acquired via EJ Manuel QB Florida State 2013 NFL Draft - Round 1 Kevin Kolb QB Cardinals Free agent Jeff Tuel QB Washington State Undrafted free agent Kendall Gaskins RB Richmond Undrafted free agent Drew Smith RB Albany Undrafted free agent Frank Summers FB N/A Free agent Robert Woods WR USC 2013 NFL Draft - Round 2 Marquise Goodwin WR Texas 2013 NFL Draft - Round 3 Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech Undrafted free agent Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington Undrafted free agent Kevin Norrell WR Stony Brook Undrafted free agent Chris Gragg TE Arkansas 2013 NFL Draft - Round 7 Zack Chibane OG Syracuse Undrafted free agent Ryan Turnley C Pittsburgh Undrafted free agent Alan Branch DL Seahawks Free agent Izaan Cross DL Georgia Tech Undrafted free agent Aaron Tipoti DL California Undrafted free agent Manny Lawson OLB Bengals Free agent Jerry Hughes OLB Colts Trade with Indianapolis Kourtnei Brown OLB N/A Free agent Jamie Blatnick OLB N/A Free agent Keith Pough OLB Howard Undrafted free agent Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon 2013 NFL Draft - Round 2 Marcus Dowtin ILB Eagles Waiver claim Nickell Robey CB USC Undrafted free agent Vernon Kearney CB Lane Undrafted free agent Jumal Rolle CB Catawba Undrafted free agent Kip Edwards CB Missouri Undrafted free agent Duke Williams S Nevada 2013 NFL Draft - Round 4 Jonathan Meeks S Clemson 2013 NFL Draft - Round 5 Jordan Dangerfield S Towson Undrafted free agent Dustin Hopkins K Florida State 2013 NFL Draft - Round 6 Brian Stahovich P N/A Free agent

Subtractions

Player Pos. Departure 2013 team Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Released Titans Tyler Thigpen QB Free agency unsigned Corey McIntyre FB Free agency unsigned Donald Jones WR Free agency Patriots David Nelson WR Free agency Browns Ruvell Martin WR Free agency unsigned Joe Sawyer TE Released unsigned Adam Grant OT Released unsigned Andy Levitre OG Free agency Titans Chad Rinehart OG Free agency Chargers Kyle Moore DE Free agency Bears Chris Kelsay DE Retired N/A Shawne Merriman DE Retired N/A Spencer Johnson DT Free agency unsigned Nick Barnett ILB Released unsigned Kelvin Sheppard ILB Traded Colts Kirk Morrison ILB Free agency unsigned Terrence McGee CB Released unsigned George Wilson S Released Titans

Well to start off with, I would say the only significant loss of the offseason was Andy Levitre.

I was sorry to see Chas Rheingold leave but his loss was certainly offset by the addition of Doug Legursky so that's a wash.

On the other side of the ledger, besides what I consider a strong draft, a good undrafted free agent crop and a good new coaching staff, significant additions include Kevin Kolb, Manny Lawson, Alan Branch, and I'll say it… Jerry Hughes.

Jairus Byrd is a wild card.

For me it isn't necessarily about this season. Optimism for this team should and is centered around Manuel. I'm all about seeing how the rest of the team progresses in preparation of E.J.'s potential emergence as the future leader of this's team. I believe we have an opportunity as other teams have done to build the team until this occurs. These two roads will meet at some point and its going to be interesting to see where the team is when it's chosen QB takes over.

how many years was it from making whitner the highest paid d guy to them making the superbowl? If history bodes well, then the bills will be there in a few years too...but probably not... but just maybe... i'm gonna go out on a limb and say "why not"?...but i'm only gonna whisper it, when no one else is around (and the door is locked)...

Well to start off with, I would say the only significant loss of the offseason was Andy Levitre.

I was sorry to see Chas Rheingold leave but his loss was certainly offset by the addition of Doug Legursky so that's a wash.

On the other side of the ledger, besides what I consider a strong draft, a good undrafted free agent crop and a good new coaching staff, significant additions include Kevin Kolb, Manny Lawson, Alan Branch, and I'll say it… Jerry Hughes.

Jairus Byrd is a wild card.

you misspelled chester rhinegarden...again

My wife put the upcoming season in perspective for me: I was cheering John McCain's announcement that he was going to war against the NFL's blackout rule when she grounded me by saying, "So you actually want to watch the Bills screw up on TV more often?"

With that, and after a giant step backward toward reality, I've lapsed into the traditional wait-and-see stance that has characterized the past decade plus. Probably see the same old cycle of promises, take my money and my heart, then slam me to the turf of mediocrity once again.

It's easier to expect failure. 31 teams fail every year.

PTR

I love the way you cut right to the chase with so few words PTR. So....odds are extremely high we'll fail this year by not winning the SB. I suppose we can hope for this miracle, but it would be more realistic to hope that we're entertained by the 2013 Bills, and not end the season with that familiar sick feeling of having so far to go.

This was a good offseason. We're building a team to win for many years to come. Likely just not for next season, but not because of a lack of urgency, only due to QB play.

My prediction: We'll be both painfully sloppy and exceptional on O and will field a respectable D. Final record 8-8.

I may never watch another NFL game, so pizzed am I that "they" let Chris Reinheitsgebot get away.

Quality player, that guy. Difficult to live up to his standards.

Edited by eball

The Bills were pro-active in addressing their QB and head coaching positions this offseason, their two primary areas of failure over the past 13 years.

So why shouldn't we be optimistic? IMO an old joke about convenience stores sums it up:

Over the last 13 years the Bills have shown that sooner or later, they get around to addressing each of their problems........but there is such a decided lack of urgency. By the time they address one....another one or sometimes even MORE problems pop up.

Turning around an organization is no longer about 5 year plans. It's not even about 3 year plans. It's about getting competitive right away.

The ideal situation is bringing in a new coach and giving that coach the tools to be successful while the message is still new and before a lack of results compromises that message.

Teams like San Francisco and Seattle are the standard. While strong coaching has helped those two fast turnarounds, the personnel departments of those teams have been very aggressive.

IMO, the Bills personnel department was tentative this offseason. It seems like they are still working in the era of 3 year and 5 year plans.

They somehow came away with a net loss of personnel this offseason, which is just not what you want your rookie head coach coming into. Marrone is confident, but ALL new head coaches are confident.

I hope I am wrong and EJ Manuel is a revelation and Marrone and Hackett/Pettine take the league by storm but on paper this team looks a disfunctional mess waiting to happen. Maybe Marrone can pull it together.

For 50% of game fans, the tailgate IS the game. If suddenly, tailgating were prohibited, I wonder what would happen to attendance at Bills games. I really wonder. The parking lot drinkfest is the draw for most fans IMO.

On the team front, they are making the right moves; in fact a sign and trade for Byrd (who obviously wants out regardless of the money issue) for a high draft pick or picks would regrettably be a good next move. The fact that most fans don't recognize is when they canned Gailey, Nix, Fitz, Barnett, Jones, Nelson, etc and crew, THEY BLEW IT ALL UP and are for the most part starting over from scratch with new offenses, new QBs/WRs (who are the key to NFL offenses today) New Defenses (we have 4-3 personnel suddenly stuck back in a 3-4.. never woudl have gone after Mario under the new regime, for example as he is a 4-3 DE) . We have like one NFL experienced LB as we fired all the guys the prior management brought in. Yes they were not Pro Bowl players, but now we have rookies and inexperienced players being stuffed into a scheme some have never played in. Gonna be a long year people. For this year, Enjoy the tailgate and watch the replay on NFL Rewind. You'll have a better time and saving a couple hundred bucks a game.

This was a good offseason. We're building a team to win for many years to come. Likely just not for next season, but not because of a lack of urgency, only due to QB play.

My prediction: We'll be both painfully sloppy and exceptional on O and will field a respectable D. Final record 8-8.

Dream on. 4-12, hopefully Kolb for 8 games at 1-7, canned for EJ week 9 who goes 3 - 5 but shows glimmers of hope. You know that is how its going to go. Lots of historical precedent for this. This is the NFL. Young building program teams get killed by the top 15 teams all year. Bunch of O Line guys go on IR because they are playing from behind all year and throwing 45 passes a game. Spiller gets pissed b/c he isn't getting the ball, decides to leave. The storyline is so easy to write. They blew it up. The franchise is starting over (again) and this is the honeymoon season for Marrone, Whaley and Co. where the record is not held against them. "they are trying to build a team" ,etc etc. 4 - 12, "but on the way up" . :)

For 50% of game fans, the tailgate IS the game. If suddenly, tailgating were prohibited, I wonder what would happen to attendance at Bills games. I really wonder. The parking lot drinkfest is the draw for most fans IMO.

On the team front, they are making the right moves; in fact a sign and trade for Byrd (who obviously wants out regardless of the money issue) for a high draft pick or picks would regrettably be a good next move. The fact that most fans don't recognize is when they canned Gailey, Nix, Fitz, Barnett, Jones, Nelson, etc and crew, THEY BLEW IT ALL UP and are for the most part starting over from scratch with new offenses, new QBs/WRs (who are the key to NFL offenses today) New Defenses (we have 4-3 personnel suddenly stuck back in a 3-4.. never woudl have gone after Mario under the new regime, for example as he is a 4-3 DE) . We have like one NFL experienced LB as we fired all the guys the prior management brought in. Yes they were not Pro Bowl players, but now we have rookies and inexperienced players being stuffed into a scheme some have never played in. Gonna be a long year people. For this year, Enjoy the tailgate and watch the replay on NFL Rewind. You'll have a better time and saving a couple hundred bucks a game.

On the other hand, some fans do realize this is another push of the reset button; and, yes that is "another" as in nothing new about that.

how many years was it from making whitner the highest paid d guy to them making the superbowl? If history bodes well, then the bills will be there in a few years too...but probably not... but just maybe... i'm gonna go out on a limb and say "why not"?...but i'm only gonna whisper it, when no one else is around (and the door is locked)...

you misspelled chester rhinegarden...again

It doesn't matter how you spell it, the fact is, Chas was a serviceable TE (although he could stand losing a few pounds) and now the Chargers are going to try him on the O Line. We should have done that.

You are wrong when you make the point that there hasn't been much change over the past year. There has been dramatic change that has cleansed this contaminated franchise from the bizaare world of an inscrutable owner. Ralph Wilson is no longer involved in the operation. That in itself has allowed this suffocating franchise an opportunity to breathe.

The befuddled Nix was gracefully let go and his position was taken over by a younger and more open minded GM. Hopefully, the old school restrictive mentality has been replaced by a fresher and more modern approach to running a franchise. A Doug Marrone hiring would not have happened if the old guard was still in place. I'm not prematurely declaring him a success but hiring him was a clear signal that things are changing. When Whaley finally took over the reigns he brought in some new personnel people. Although there wasn't much publicity over the new hires it signals that Whaley is adding younger and brighter staff to this very crusty organization.

Without a doubt this year's draft had a different feel to it. The draft board was set up by Whaley. I can't say for sure but it seems to me that Whaley and Marrone were very influential in Buddy's last draft, moreso than Buddy himself.

A number of inconsequential players were let go this year from a roster of mostly inconsequential players. It's going to take another couple of drafts to redo what Nix bungled. There was no doubt in my mind that Brandon ordered the drafting of a qb with the first or second round draft pick. Whaley and the coaching staff made the Manuel selection.

How does one measure the success and failure of this year's season? For me there is only one way to do it: Determining whether Manuel can be a legitimate franchise qb. Don't get bogged down with the sideshow issue of this year's record. In this year success is measured by how the young qb performs. If he demonstrates that he is up to the task then the season is a success. If he demonstrates that he is not up to the taks then it is back to the drawing board. In the NFL of today the foundation for any franchise is the qb. Until that issue is addressed nothing else matters.

For me the real issue is not about the team, it never has been. It is about the quality of the organization. If the organization is healthy then the roster will eventually be competitive. So far I am more than encouraged that things are moving in the right direction.

Not in my view, just achieving a winning record is a successful season to me. That is, if you are in rebuilding mode for 13 years.

This.

A 9-7 record would be cause for great celebration around WNY, as the turn in fortune will create REALISTIC hope.

After more then a decade of crap I finally like the direction of this team but I am not expecting much this year. They could surprise but realistically speaking we are probably in for another long year

I'll be optimistic when the Bills show something to be optimistic about. Like WINNING a few games and showing some talent. I have seen the Bills make every mistake in the book...from poor drafts to not keeping the actually good players they do end up getting to overpaying players who haven't panned out to lackluster coaching to poor trading. That stuff has to change.

The loss of C. Reinhart (?) was puzzling, he was a starting guard for two years. (13 starts I think) with Levertre's departure, should have kept him. I think there is something we don't know about that situation......the deep thinkers (yeh, if we have any?) maybe tought he was not complete enough...he was a bull on the run , but struggled with the agility moves a little. anyhow, deeper into the bench we go, and who knows how it will turn out. Not sure our running game will produce what we had last year in the Spiller breakaway threat.

The loss of C. Reinhart (?) was puzzling, he was a starting guard for two years. (13 starts I think) with Levertre's departure, should have kept him. I think there is something we don't know about that situation......the deep thinkers (yeh, if we have any?) maybe tought he was not complete enough...he was a bull on the run , but struggled with the agility moves a little. anyhow, deeper into the bench we go, and who knows how it will turn out. Not sure our running game will produce what we had last year in the Spiller breakaway threat.

He was so good, you don't even know his name. It was Cheshire Reinhartshausener.

I guess they did blow it up. Ralph removing himself from the decision making process was the most significant. The rest reminds me of a building I once saw demolished. it was in such bad shape that there was no fixing it. Two taps with a back hoe and it collapsed. Foundation stayed however.

Is anyone going to miss any of those people whose names you mentioned? Coaching would have to be better, it couldn't be worse. Same for LBs and WRs. I think this team has a good foundation. Lines, RBs are good, secondary is a wait and see.

I am more optimistic than I have been in a long time, mostly because Ralph is not involved. This off season was not the same old same old.

I'm a bit split. There's been pros and cons at almost every position of need... I'm cautious, as usual.

HC... overall .500 in college. BUT, he's new and exciting and different, so maybe it's what the team needs.

QB... replaced a mediocre guy with another... BUT we drafted a guy who could very well be a stud (accurate, strong armed, intelligent, big, fast, etc)

WR... got rid of experienced players... BUT drafted a NFL ready guy, picked up a speedster and also took a chance on someone who could turn out to be a game changer.

OL... let our best player go... BUT we had/have some solid depth there, so maybe it'll be ok?

DL... underachieved last year... is really good on paper, so hopefully with a new DC, they'll live up to it.

LB... picked up a couple mediocre players, drafted a guy that might be decent... new DC could also help, so maybe we'll get better here.

CB... need more talent at this position... hopefully with more pressure on the QB, our weaknesses here will be mitigated.

S... refusing to extend our most talented player behind the DL... BUT... reports say we have a former CB that might fill in nicely.

I'm a bit more optimistic but yes. Can not wait for tailgating

If I still lived in B-town, I would agree that at least there is the tailgating. But being limited to DTV (where I can pause the game and mow the lawn if need be), I'm looking forward to the season for the first time in years (ok, I was a little excited after signing Mario, but that was tempered by my concern for the offense).

Win, lose or draw, this year appears to offer something different (yeah, I know, familiar refrain). The defense has a few blue chip players and perhaps an aggressive play-caller will get us out of our seats more than in the recent past.

On offense, we have a coach who wants to use our best weapon, an improved (at least on paper) cast of characters surrounding Stevie, and a potential franchise QB who will play based upon ability and not because we have no one else on the roster. Sure there will be stumbles and fumbles, and Andy was a real loss, but the hope and possibility are there.

In fact, had we retained Andy and signed Jarius, I would be pumped for the season. As it stands, as least thus far we have avoided the double loss of O-lineman - defensive stud that occurred with the departure of Jennings and big Pat. Maybe we are turning a corner.

... or maybe I was born in Buffalo, doomed to a lifetime of anticipation followed by disappointment. Hey, at least there is always next "off-season."

If I still lived in B-town, I would agree that at least there is the tailgating. But being limited to DTV (where I can pause the game and mow the lawn if need be), I'm looking forward to the season for the first time in years (ok, I was a little excited after signing Mario, but that was tempered by my concern for the offense).

Win, lose or draw, this year appears to offer something different (yeah, I know, familiar refrain). The defense has a few blue chip players and perhaps an aggressive play-caller will get us out of our seats more than in the recent past.

On offense, we have a coach who wants to use our best weapon, an improved (at least on paper) cast of characters surrounding Stevie, and a potential franchise QB who will play based upon ability and not because we have no one else on the roster. Sure there will be stumbles and fumbles, and Andy was a real loss, but the hope and possibility are there.

In fact, had we retained Andy and signed Jarius, I would be pumped for the season. As it stands, as least thus far we have avoided the double loss of O-lineman - defensive stud that occurred with the departure of Jennings and big Pat. Maybe we are turning a corner.

... or maybe I was born in Buffalo, doomed to a lifetime of anticipation followed by disappointment. Hey, at least there is always next "off-season."

Exactly. At the very least, with things being "new" (again), it'll be exciting for a year... maybe two.

Any predictions or worries based on the track record of the "past 13 years" are spurious.

We have a new GM, HC, OC, and DC. And as San Jose points out, there's been huge changes to the roster. I'm not sure yet what this is, but it isn't the Bills of old.

And I don't get how on paper the Bills look like a "disfunctional [sic] mess." Other than the big question mark at QB, they look a lot like most other NFL teams: some good players, some not-so-good.

Any predictions or worries based on the track record of the "past 13 years" are spurious.

Hmmmm are you sure. Do you think the pats* will make it to the playoffs this season? Is that based on past history?

True enough that there were big changes to the Bills. But the same big changes happened 3 years ago as well.

The past 13 years don't guarantee failure this coming season. But they are cause for concern.

We have a new GM, HC, OC, and DC. And as San Jose points out, there's been huge changes to the roster. I'm not sure yet what this is, but it isn't the Bills of old.

You could have, and probably did, have the same feeling when Gailey et. al. came to town.

The faces may have changed from the Bills of Old, but the rebuilding dance still continues.

All I want at this point is a home playoff victory. After a decade is that asking for too much?

it might be. You are not only asking for them to make the playoffs, which they haven't done for 13 years, but you want them to qualify high enough to get a home game, AND win that game. :)