Chandler determined to be ready.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/07/01/chandler-determined-to-be-ready/

“My guess I’m not just going to go in there all the way,” Chandler told Buffalobills.com of his participation in camp practices. ”I’m just worried about getting my lungs in shape and my legs. That’s what this next month and a half is for. It’s not vacation. It’s nothing like that. I’m going to be working just as hard as I have been and I’m going to be ready to go.”[/Quote]

He's a month ahead of schedule. This is something we can all be happy about. I know I feel much better knowing we will have Chandler out there.

Edited by Ralph W.

thats great news. being ready for week one was my big concern seeing him carted off in december.

between a potential young qb starting, and a definitely young WR group he will be a nice asset.

Edited by NoSaint

thats great news. being ready for week one was my big concern seeing him carted off in december.

between a potential young qb starting, and a definitely young WR group he will be a nice asset.

No doubt, the big fella with provide a nice big target for whoever is qb. With the speedsters the Bills now have i would look for Chandlers numbers to increase some.

I hope he's back and in good shape. He's not a game changer, but he's one of those guys that has hands you can depend on, and with a young WR group, that'll be a great thing to have.

I think he IS a game changer. 40 catches and 6 td's every year for a TE is great. He had just as many TD's as Stevie Johnson and CJ last year. Runs tough routes, great hands, huge target at 6 foot 7. You're right about the young WR's and the need for experienced targets out there. He's going to be EJ's first NFL TD pass.........

Hooray, this is great news--though I still wish we had another decent TE to complement Chandler so we could run some double TE packages like certain other evil teams (used) to do. I wonder if Dickerson or Gragg can step up to play such a role this year?

I think he IS a game changer. 40 catches and 6 td's every year for a TE is great. He had just as many TD's as Stevie Johnson and CJ last year. Runs tough routes, great hands, huge target at 6 foot 7. You're right about the young WR's and the need for experienced targets out there. He's going to be EJ's first NFL TD pass.........

I guess I mean game changer in the "flashy" sort of way, sorry for the miscommunication.

Great post ... Every QB needs a reliable or fall back target and TEs often fill this role,

No doubt, the big fella with provide a nice big target for whoever is qb. With the speedsters the Bills now have i would look for Chandlers numbers to increase some.

Indeed. I'm hoping the speedsters open up a lot of space over the middle and underneath for Chandler to exploit.

Stevie will lead the team in REC this season but I'm thinking Chandler and Spiller will both ending up having 50+ or close to it. Rookie QB means dump-offs and and a TE who can be a great safety valve.

Great post ... Every QB needs a reliable or fall back target and TEs often fill this role,

Especially rookie QBs

i tend to agree with you. moving the chains, providing a huge red zone target, and providing an outlet that your (hopefully rookie) qb can trust could absolutely be a game changer,

This kid is a great red zone threat very hard to defend in the short area and great target.

Dependable and consistent.

As you guys nailed , the whole Bills world changes when the deep passing game develops and the field opens up.

Love the Chandler

He just might be a watered down version of Jimmy Graham in Marrone's offense. The physical measurable seems to be fairly comparable except that Graham is significantly faster. I wouldn't be too surprised if our offense favored a Parcells' type of game plan, play some safe power football, taking some calculated shots down the field, having one to two game changing plays and not going into a game with a heavy play book. Playing error free football is more important than having a complex strategy (Chan Gaily). Marrone/Hackett has clearly stated that our offense will be uptempo and simplistic. I suspect that Marrone is hammering fundamental football to our players on both sides of the ball.

Amazing to think he injured himself in December, had surgery in January, and was back last month for minicamp.

Kind of scares me. Even if his muscle strength is back to 100%, the actual ACL needs to rebuild. I've had two replaced myself. It's a weird procedure. They thread a cadaver's ligament into where the old one was, then new ligament grows around it. It takes time. I hope they're not rushing him.

Indeed. I'm hoping the speedsters open up a lot of space over the middle and underneath for Chandler to exploit.

Thinking the same thing myself. With all those burners on the wings it's got to open up the underneath stuff and Chandler's got good hands.

Kind of scares me. Even if his muscle strength is back to 100%, the actual ACL needs to rebuild. I've had two replaced myself. It's a weird procedure. They thread a cadaver's ligament into where the old one was, then new ligament grows around it. It takes time. I hope they're not rushing him.

The ACL doesn't need to rebuild. The graft tunnel needs to heal.

Bobby Chandler?

Bobby Chandler was a great reciever. Great hands. He led the NFL in receptions from 1975-1977 with 176. I was very happy he got a chance to win a superbowl before his career ended. He was my favorite player as a kid. He died way too young. RIP Bobby

Thinking the same thing myself. With all those burners on the wings it's got to open up the underneath stuff and Chandler's got good hands.

Exactly my thought. The Bills will have to hit a couple 30+ passes early on in the year to keep teams honest. They have the guys now to get behind the DB's, lets hope Manuel or Kolb can make the throw on the money.

Bobby Chandler was a great reciever. Great hands. He led the NFL in receptions from 1975-1977 with 176. I was very happy he got a chance to win a superbowl before his career ended. He was my favorite player as a kid. He died way too young. RIP Bobby

This!! : (

A consistantly favorable match up for the bills since his acquisition. A nice find and seems like they handled his contract situation well to keep him.

I think he has been one of the more under-appreciated Bills the past few years.

He is consistent, makes catches, and scores touchdowns. The one knock on him--according to the professional scouts (I guess, I don't have the expertise or film to evaluate it)--is his blocking ability. But I've read a few times where he has improved in that.

Anyhow, having him back is a big plus. Hopefully at full strength and ready to go.

I think he has been one of the more under-appreciated Bills the past few years.

He is consistent, makes catches, and scores touchdowns. The one knock on him--according to the professional scouts (I guess, I don't have the expertise or film to evaluate it)--is his blocking ability. But I've read a few times where he has improved in that.

Anyhow, having him back is a big plus. Hopefully at full strength and ready to go.

Well, for a HC and OC who want their receivers to be faster, Chandler doesn't exactly fit.

He's a Buddy guy, not a Marrone/Hackett/Whaley guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them feature him less in their offense between the 20s in favor of more WR's given his lack of speed.

Hooray, this is great news--though I still wish we had another decent TE to complement Chandler so we could run some double TE packages like certain other evil teams (used) to do. I wonder if Dickerson or Gragg can step up to play such a role this year?

I am hoping that Gragg becomes the guy on the other side. I think he has a pretty high ceiling.

Well, for a HC and OC who want their receivers to be faster, Chandler doesn't exactly fit.

He's a Buddy guy, not a Marrone/Hackett/Whaley guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see them feature him less in their offense between the 20s in favor of more WR's given his lack of speed.

He's got 4.76 speed which, while not blazing, isn't turtle speed. He's a big reliable target which would help a rookie QB out a lot.

He's got 4.76 speed which, while not blazing, isn't turtle speed. He's a big reliable target which would help a rookie QB out a lot.

Is that what you think he'll run when he's recovered from his ACL surgery? Or are you going from combine results 6 years ago?

I know most people like to quantify things with statistics or combine results, but when I watch games I see someone who isn't getting behind defenders. It's not his game and the current staff seems intent on improving team speed. Chandler's going to be even slower post-surgery than he was in 2011-12.

Is that what you think he'll run when he's recovered from his ACL surgery? Or are you going from combine results 6 years ago?

I know most people like to quantify things with statistics or combine results, but when I watch games I see someone who isn't getting behind defenders. It's not his game and the current staff seems intent on improving team speed. Chandler's going to be even slower post-surgery than he was in 2011-12.

Haven't had the chance to time him recently. He could be just as fast as before. But the speed thing is about crating mismatches and Chandler's size creates a mismatch.

ill agree with docs follow up that its about mismatches.

ill also say that i hope they are considering more than JUST speed, because using speed as the only thing that matters is nonsense... while its a great attribute to value, its just one of many that can be used productively. if they are going to black ball a productive player just because hes average speed... well... chandler and stevie are out the window and we are left with about 12 catches combined remaining on the roster. i have to believe they will use him and use him effectively, even if they keep an eye out for a chance to improve the position in the along the way.

Chandler is not going to get behind defenders because that is not the type of receiver he is, or most TEs are. He is primarily an underneath receiver who will be more effective with the speed receivers added to the roster. Chandler runs good routes and he has terrific hands. You rarely see him drop a pass. Another asset is that with his height and size he is adept at coaching TDs passes when the offense is near the goal line.

The offense is going to be playing to his strengths, not his weaknesses. With better wideouts there should be more open space inside for him to catch the short and medium range pases i.e. the type of routes that Kolb favors.

Edited by JohnC

Chandler is not going to get behind defenders because that is not the type of receiver he is, or most TEs are. He is primarily an underneath receiver who will be more effective with the speed receivers added to the roster. Chandler runs good routes and he has terrific hands. You rarely see him drop a pass. Another asset is that with his height and size he is adept at coaching TDs passes when the offense is near the goal line.

The offense is going to be playing to his strengths, not his weaknesses. With better wideouts there should be more open space inside for him to catch the short and medium range pases i.e. the type of routes that Kolb favors.

Teams are indeed taking TE's that can run by people and eschewing the slower footed types who are safety valve types like Chandler. Nothing against Chandler, but with teams playing more Cover 2, having a guy be able to run the seam and attack secondaries is important. The Bills haven't had that in forever and that won't change in 2013.

He's coming off an ACL tear and will be inhibited early on, perhaps most of the season. Unfortunately, there's nothing behind him and definitely not anyone adept at catching passes. This is a position that hasn't been adequately addressed because they were too busy drafting defensive players to facilitate converting from a Cover-2 to a 30 front and back to a 40 front defense.

ill agree with docs follow up that its about mismatches. ill also say that i hope they are considering more than JUST speed, because using speed as the only thing that matters is nonsense... while its a great attribute to value, its just one of many that can be used productively.

Not to mention (never understood that expression btw) that when you spread the field with 5-6 skill players, you don't need every one of them to possess speed.

It makes as much if not more sense to have a nice mix of a few different skill sets.

Teams are indeed taking TE's that can run by people and eschewing the slower footed types who are safety valve types like Chandler. Nothing against Chandler, but with teams playing more Cover 2, having a guy be able to run the seam and attack secondaries is important. The Bills haven't had that in forever and that won't change in 2013.

He's coming off an ACL tear and will be inhibited early on, perhaps most of the season. Unfortunately, there's nothing behind him and definitely not anyone adept at catching passes. This is a position that hasn't been adequately addressed because they were too busy drafting defensive players to facilitate converting from a Cover-2 to a 30 front and back to a 40 front defense.

They have no one proven at the NFL level, but Gragg has TE size and WR speed and has the ability to run the seam and attack secondaries.

The ACL doesn't need to rebuild. The graft tunnel needs to heal.

Depends on the type of surgery that was elected by Chandler/his doctors. Option 1 is to use part of the Patella tendon with attached bone to replace the ACL. Option 2 is use use multiple threads of the hamstring to replace the ACL. Option 3 is the cadaver. From the research that I've read (I recently tore my ACL), the cadaver option is NOT recommended for athletes because the strength of the cadaver's ACL is unknown, plus your body could reject the foreign object. There doesn't seem to be conclusive evidence which of the options is better at this point, although you do tend to heal fast with option 1 because the only healing that needs to occur is bone to bone since the patella tendon was never detached, plus the hamstring doesn't need to have it's strength rebuilt.

Depends on the type of surgery that was elected by Chandler/his doctors. Option 1 is to use part of the Patella tendon with attached bone to replace the ACL. Option 2 is use use multiple threads of the hamstring to replace the ACL. Option 3 is the cadaver. From the research that I've read (I recently tore my ACL), the cadaver option is NOT recommended for athletes because the strength of the cadaver's ACL is unknown, plus your body could reject the foreign object. There doesn't seem to be conclusive evidence which of the options is better at this point, although you do tend to heal fast with option 1 because the only healing that needs to occur is bone to bone since the patella tendon was never detached, plus the hamstring doesn't need to have it's strength rebuilt.

Option 1 is the first choice unless there is something wrong with the patellar tendon. Not sure what is #2.

Chandler is what he is: a dependable short to medium range route runner who is not going to out run his coverage, something that most TEs can't do. What many teams resort to is spreading the field with multiple receiver sets that often don't include a TE in that formation. If you want a TE who can get past the coverage then get in line with the majority of other teams searching for such a big play receiving TE.

The Patriots were unique offensively when they built a good chunk of their passing game around their two superb TEs. Their wideouts were average at best with more emphasis placed on Welker (now departed) to run the short interiour routes. The Bills can't duplicate such a TE centric offense because they simply don't have and haven't ever had that type of quality TEs.

I agree with you that the Bills for a very long time haven't effectively addressed the TE position in the draft. What's new about that? Even with the positions they have drafted for they still have missed with a high percentage of their draft picks. The central drafting weakness isn't about any particular position so much it is about evaluating prospects in general, regardless of position. Teams that draft well and make a high percentage of their picks count can address their remaining position needs throught free agnecy. With the Bills you create a hole and then go back and refill it. It is a cycle of ineptitude that maybe will be slowed down with this new regime.

Chandler is what he is: a dependable short to medium range route runner who is not going to out run his coverage, something that most TEs can't do. What many teams resort to is spreading the field with multiple receiver sets that often don't include a TE in that formation. If you want a TE who can get past the coverage then get in line with the majority of other teams searching for such a big play receiving TE.

The Patriots were unique offensively when they built a good chunk of their passing game around their two superb TEs. Their wideouts were average at best with more emphasis placed on Welker (now departed) to run the short interiour routes. The Bills can't duplicate such a TE centric offense because they simply don't have and haven't ever had that type of quality TEs.

I agree with you that the Bills for a very long time haven't effectively addressed the TE position in the draft. What's new about that? Even with the positions they have drafted for they still have missed with a high percentage of their draft picks. The central drafting weakness isn't about any particular position so much it is about evaluating prospects in general, regardless of position. Teams that draft well and make a high percentage of their picks count can address their remaining position needs throught free agnecy. With the Bills you create a hole and then go back and refill it. It is a cycle of ineptitude that maybe will be slowed down with this new regime.

The Pats got lucky (for a time) with their TE selections in that 2010 draft. Prior to that they (and Belichick with the Browns) had drafted or signed many TEs with limited success. But that luck came at a price. Gronk doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy, which is why he dropped to the 2nd, and likewise Hernandez' pre-draft concerns have come home to roost. Hopefully they can get similar luck with Gragg, but if not, I expect TE to be high on the list next draft.

The Pats got lucky (for a time) with their TE selections in that 2010 draft. Prior to that they (and Belichick with the Browns) had drafted or signed many TEs with limited success. But that luck came at a price. Gronk doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy, which is why he dropped to the 2nd, and likewise Hernandez' pre-draft concerns have come home to roost. Hopefully they can get similar luck with Gragg, but if not, I expect TE to be high on the list next draft.

If Gronk and AH never play again you have to acknowledge that they got excellent production from these drafted players. The coaching staff smartly and uniquely taylored their offense to maximize the talents of their TEs. Whether or not these two players ever play again they still got more production from that position than the Bills have ever gotten out of their TEs in more than a half century of being in the NFL.

If Gronk and AH never play again you have to acknowledge that they got excellent production from these drafted players. The coaching staff smartly and uniquely taylored their offense to maximize the talents of their TEs. Whether or not these two players ever play again they still got more production from that position than the Bills have ever gotten out of their TEs in more than a half century of being in the NFL.

They got 1 excellent year from each, a good one from Gronk, and 3 mediocre ones. In Hernandez's case, it wasn't nearly worth it. In Gronk's, it's arguable.

They got 1 excellent year from each, a good one from Gronk, and 3 mediocre ones. In Hernandez's case, it wasn't nearly worth it. In Gronk's, it's arguable.

I'll repeat what I said in the prior post: They got more production out of their TEs over the past few years than the Bills have gotten out of their TEs in a half century of playing.

I'm aware that AH will probably never play pro ball again. From a physical standpoint it is an open question whether Gronk will ever be what he was. But even given the short duration of playing the team got maximum production from a position that the Bills haven't gotten much production from over its history of playing.

With respect to Chandler he is a productive TE. He has terrific hands and he runs good routes. He is far from being a dynamic player but he is still a solid player He was a good pickup for us. A few more good value pickups like him will help bolster the roster and make this team more competitive.