Crime in the NFL (pretty charts included)

So what your trying to say is that during football season, the number of arrests drops significantly. Ok, that settles it, football all year round for the sake of society.

Except if you compare the percentage of arrests of players on a football team against the percentage of arrests of people that work for FedEx, Home Depot or Avis. You may be surprised that society isn't in danger by the likes of a few bad NFL players.

fJeoSLsh.png

oh my god. The pats are even beating us here :bag:

Anyway, I think it said in the dem and chronicle today that the nfl arrest rate is roughly half that of the general population. I really don't think it is an actual issue.

Edited by sodbuster

What are the 14 arrests?

Ko Simpson, Lynch, that FB that got caught stroking it in public, who else?

14 seems high.

It does seem high.. Here are a few more..

Hargrove 2007 - Harassment, criminal mischief

Whitner 2009 - disorderly conduct

MacIntyre - exposure

MacIntyre - exposure

Corey Mac is the FB I was referring to.

Good call on Whinter.

So we got 5.

Except if you compare the percentage of arrests of players on a football team against the percentage of arrests of people that work for FedEx, Home Depot or Avis. You may be surprised that society isn't in danger by the likes of a few bad NFL players.

The surprise factor about NFL arrests is the high earnings potential of the guys being arrested.

We associate base salaries of $800,000/yr with designer suits, $5,000 watches, and fat investment portfolios, not with violence and dimwit lawbreaking

MacIntyre - exposure

Travis Henry, statutory rape and general stupidity.

Roscoe Parrish had a DUI.

Aaron Maybin, for theft... (Okay, but he SHOULD have been, for that first round contract the Bills were dumb enough to give him).

The surprise factor about NFL arrests is the high earnings potential of the guys being arrested.

We associate base salaries of $800,000/yr with designer suits, $5,000 watches, and fat investment portfolios, not with violence and dimwit lawbreaking

The surprise factor is in 2010 the nfl saw 2.0% in legal trouble (1 per roster, roughly), MLB 2.1%, general population I think was cited at 4.6% (it was 4.something according to cnn)

Given the number of guys in the nfl from troubled backgrounds its amazing its not higher, really. DUIs, and a lot of the minor arrests strike all income brackets. Truly, violent crime in the nfl is pretty darn low.

Vikings and "the party boat" really blew up that team's numbers!

Feel sorry for the cleaning crew after those clowns!

"The cleaning crew reported finding "used condoms, K-Y jelly, Handi Wipes, wrappers for sex toys" and said "it was just incredible how it was left. Never in the history of this group of people have they ever had anything like this.'"

:sick:

The surprise factor is in 2010 the nfl saw 2.0% in legal trouble (1 per roster, roughly), MLB 2.1%, general population I think was cited at 4.6% (it was 4.something according to cnn)

Given the number of guys in the nfl from troubled backgrounds its amazing its not higher, really. DUIs, and a lot of the minor arrests strike all income brackets. Truly, violent crime in the nfl is pretty darn low.

Money is an influencing factor. ?? Make more, have less problems. ?? You have to say, as an employer, the NFL pays very well.

This chart is very misleading. Houston has 9 arrests tied for the lowest but they didn't come into the league until 2002.

They are still averaging less than 1 per season. To say they are clearly #1 is erroneous, to say they are one of the better teams at weeding out trouble is more valid.

Very cool.

What is the source?

Thanks.

No source, found on Imgur, but dont have any real reason to doubt the numbers.

oh my god. The pats are even beating us here :bag:

Anyway, I think it said in the dem and chronicle today that the nfl arrest rate is roughly half that of the general population. I really don't think it is an actual issue.

Yeah, I was just putting the charts out there because I thought it was interesting to see the breakdowns and actual numbers.

Just wanted to pop in and say, I love charts.

At least we are top 10 well behaved teams. Lol need to win at something.

:thumbsup:

I think the real surprise with that is that most other rich people aren't under as much scrutiny, and/or are better at hiding their crimes.

Vikings and "the party boat" really blew up that team's numbers!

Feel sorry for the cleaning crew after those clowns!

"The cleaning crew reported finding "used condoms, K-Y jelly, Handi Wipes, wrappers for sex toys" and said "it was just incredible how it was left. Never in the history of this group of people have they ever had anything like this.'"

:sick:

HAHAHA, first thing I thought of when I saw that chart and the Vikings at the top. The party boat incident. Good lord.

This chart is very misleading. Houston has 9 arrests tied for the lowest but they didn't come into the league until 2002.

I dont know that Id say it's "very misleading". Even if you want to make an estimated adjustment and add 3 more, they are still towards the bottom of the chart.

Edited by DrDareustein

What is really sad is that not one team had zero arrests. I realize the NFL is a small sample size of society, but man that's just sad.

Considering the charts span 12-13 years, there are at least 4 teams that (by averages) had 0 arrests in at least 1 year. It's a numbers game. There are a LOT of people that play in the NFL. Things happen in people's lives. Especially when you come from the types of places a lot of players are from. As other's have pointed out, the NFL arrest rate is lower than the actual rate for the general population.

So what you're saying is that these players should move up to white collar crime and leave this low brow stuff to the poor.

What are the 14 arrests?

Ko Simpson, Lynch, that FB that got caught stroking it in public, who else?

14 seems high.

Travis Henry ? Not sure if the # is counted if he was a former player or counts only against your current team/

DATE PLAYER OFFENSE July 24, 2011 WR Paul Hubbard DUI; hit officer with car May 14, 2009 FB Corey McIntyre Indecent exposure; fondled self outside woman's home April 11, 2009 S Donte Whitner Disorderly conduct; stun gunned outside nightclub Feb. 11, 2009 RB Marshawn Lynch Gun possession; had loaded gun in car Jan. 1, 2009 S Ko Simpson Hindering police; interfered in friend's arrest May 31, 2008 RB Marshawn Lynch Hit and run; hit woman in SUV Feb. 17, 2008 WR Roscoe Parrish DUI Aug. 5, 2007 DE Anthony Hargrove Harassment; hit officer outside nightclub Nov. 5, 2006 S Donte Whitner Harassment; during domestic dispute Sept. 10, 2003 WR Rodney Wright DWI July 13, 2002 WR Charlie Rogers Assault, making terroristic threats July 2, 2002 WR Rodney Wright Hit and run June 26, 2002 TE Sheldon Jackson Marijuana possession Oct. 26, 2001 RB Travis Henry Sexual misconduct; tried to sleep with 15-year-old girl

NoSaint already mentioned that the full list was in the link so I'm not sure what all the struggling to remember stuff is all about.