Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marone is rotating them each practice until one shows they are clearly the better QB. He did not give a timeline, but I would think that he wants to chose a clear #1 and #2 ASAP. For now it will be a rotation on who gets first reps.

Fully understood that given the description of today. I was only registering my lack of surprise that Tavaris went first today. It could be completely random, but after watching the previous workouts, I'm not surprised. I expect the order to be different tomorrow, as with the following days.

i think it's worth noting that kolb and manuel where the only two qb's noted as making plays, espicially since the tavaris was said to have gotten the most work. while the qb battle wont really get going until pads are involved, it is seems to be a 2 qb contest

I caught some reruns of the jets hard knocks.... Love the way Pettine coaches and calls out guys...

For a real good look at Pettine, check out this documentary on his father, a legendary high school coach. Mike Pettine jr is featured heavily in it and it is one of the best football documentaries I've ever seen.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000W5H9M

For a real good look at Pettine, check out this documentary on his father, a legendary high school coach. Mike Pettine jr is featured heavily in it and it is one of the best football documentaries I've ever seen.

http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B0000W5H9M

I feel strongly that Coach Pettine IS the real deal.

I am leaning towards a substantiative yes in regard to Paul Hackett and Doug Marrone too.

This is quite a good bit of fun being a fan right now. Everything going on at OBD just feels different. And i'm fairly well pleased where this team is aimed.

Thanks for link FluffHead ! :worthy::thumbsup:

Nice to see #11 out there making a lot of catches. Of course, without Stevie, Woods, and Goodwin there were limited options, but he appeared to be finding open spots over the middle.

Anybody else notice Carrington get the "sack" on TJax? I remember listening to the SiriusXM guys at camp last year, and Tim Ryan said Carrington looked "unblockable." Glad to see Wannstedt utilized him so well -- maybe we see what a real DC can do this year.

Concur.

Fewell was a joker when he was here.

Here's hoping Pettine is the real deal.

I thought Perry Fewell did a good job with the available talent. On the other hand, Jerry Gray was pathetic.

What a frenetic pace. Love it!

One thing to consider is how this will affect the defense? Yes, there will be times that a 3 & out will hurt by putting the defense back on the field, but, I think that there is benefit to practicing this way. A defense with multiple fronts, multiple player positions from play to play and a new defense to boot is difficult to get the hang of. Practicing against that pace day in day out will force the defense to get better, learn assignments more quickly. Plays will have to be called more quickly, substitutions made on the fly etc. To me that will help when the real games start. A 2 minute drill won't phase the defense (hopefully) because they are used to the pace from practicing against it every day. In this case what makes one (offense) better makes the other (defense) better. We're perhaps expecting some growing pains on both sides of the ball, getting the players used to pressure situations in practice (cue Iverson) can only help in the long run.

Anybody else notice Carrington get the "sack" on TJax? I remember listening to the SiriusXM guys at camp last year, and Tim Ryan said Carrington looked "unblockable." Glad to see Wannstedt utilized him so well -- maybe we see what a real DC can do this year.

Nix was on with Ryan and Kirwin yesterday. They asked how he felt Mario did last year...to paraphrase

"Well, the other team certainly knew where he would be every snap"

I knew you would love that....just amazing gu did not get fired mid season

Nix was on with Ryan and Kirwin yesterday. They asked how he felt Mario did last year...to paraphrase

When you think about it that way, 10.5 sacks sounds pretty amazing. Eff Wanny.

I want to se the scores of the first three games before I drop my skeptical approach. The Bills haven't done anything to convince me that they are different from the past decade +. Talk is cheap in May.

One thing to consider is how this will affect the defense? Yes, there will be times that a 3 & out will hurt by putting the defense back on the field, but, I think that there is benefit to practicing this way. A defense with multiple fronts, multiple player positions from play to play and a new defense to boot is difficult to get the hang of. Practicing against that pace day in day out will force the defense to get better, learn assignments more quickly. Plays will have to be called more quickly, substitutions made on the fly etc. To me that will help when the real games start. A 2 minute drill won't phase the defense (hopefully) because they are used to the pace from practicing against it every day. In this case what makes one (offense) better makes the other (defense) better. We're perhaps expecting some growing pains on both sides of the ball, getting the players used to pressure situations in practice (cue Iverson) can only help in the long run.

That's the downside of this offensive playbook, the Defense better be in shape and ready to be on the field a lot. At this pace 9/12 for a TD takes a little over 2 minutes (assuming the goal is snap to play is 10 seconds), mix in some runs and we're talking about marching down the field in 3 minutes if succesfull. If we'll go unsuccesfull heh... Even less time for the D to rest. I hope the D has been frantic in the offseason program too. Then again the D has been conditioned during season the last couple of years well enough due to their lack of getting themselves off the field. Offense sure sounds like crazy fun to watch though, hopefully the D will be too under Petine.

i think it's worth noting that kolb and manuel where the only two qb's noted as making plays, espicially since the tavaris was said to have gotten the most work. while the qb battle wont really get going until pads are involved, it is seems to be a 2 qb contest

Mango, You might want to take that O.J. avatar down before he gets a posse together and takes it back the hard way.

Didn't hear this, so don't know the context. But are you sure that rather than taking a dig at Wannstedt, he didn't simply mean the other team had to game plan around Mario (i.e., implying Mario was good, from that respect)?

I can't see Buddy taking a cheap (even though true) shot at Wannstedt. I can see him defending Mario's overall play by highlighting the respect that opposing teams had for him.

I want to se the scores of the first three games before I drop my skeptical approach. The Bills haven't done anything to convince me that they are different from the past decade +. Talk is cheap in May.

Tremendous grasp of the obvious.

Tremendous grasp of the obvious.

Who started at LG?