Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

I don't care that the Bills blocked the Jets from taking Austin and got extra picks in the draft.

I don't care that they trade down and got the #1 QB on their board still.

I don't care that he is the most physically gifted and best leader among the QBs.

I don't care he played the whole season while stressing about his mother battling breast cancer.

I don't care that the Eagles loved the guy and would have tried to draft him.

I just care that he was the #5 QB on community college grad Mel Kiper's draft board. The Bills are jokes once again.

Nothing like sarcasm in the afternoon :)

CBF

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

love the "Hey Hey Hey Hey" chant at 55sec mark!!

I heard that too - awesome!

Some guys see a punch bowl and think, "Hey, nice party."

Others can't wait to drop trou.

Every day we all get to choose which of those guys to be.

Phenomenal.

I like the pick. Don't need to explain why, most here have their opinions and they won't change no matter what I write. I don't believe he's ready to step in and play immediately, but that's why they signed Kolb. He has time to watch and learn and be eased into the system. I thought it was a great 1st round for the Bills, looking forward to this evenings picks.

Sorry, wrong number: E.J. Manuel gets early phone call meant for third pick Dion Jordan:

Manuel was taken offguard earlier in the night, however, when someone accidentally dialed a wrong number and gave him a slight rush of excitement over the possibility of top 5 money.

Here's what Manuel told the Dan Patrick Show on Friday (via the show's producer):

E.J. Manuel said his green room hotline phone rang at pick 3. He got excited, then the voice asked if they could talk to Dion Jordan.

Well, that must have been awkward. Did Manuel call Jordan across the green room and say "Uh, it's for you? It's the Dolphins?" Did he consider impersonating Jordan and say there's no way he'd take his talents to South Beach if drafted? Did he just say "wrong number?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/sorry-wrong-number-e-j-manuel-gets-early-145113384.html

Edited by papazoid

I like the Pick EJ Manuel is a good QB & a Great Kid I just don't the pick at 16 we could have Drafted Tavon Austin & Still got Manuel we only got a 2nd & 7th round pick & we moved down from 8th & 71 where the Patriots traded the 29th pick (basically a 2nd Round Pick) for a 2,3,4 & 7th round pick Buddy Nix got played by the Rams

I think you must have not counted the fact that we gained pick #16 or that New England didn't gain #52 as an extra pick, but as the swap for their pick.

To simplify, I am going to drop off the seventh rounders and our third round swap:

Rams moved 8 spots from 16 to 8 and paid #46

Vikings Moved 23 spots from 52 to 29 and paid #82 and #102

Falcons moved 8 spots from 30 to 22 and paid #92

49ers moved 13 spots from 31 to 18 and paid #74

Fish moved 9 spots from 12 to 3 and paid #42

The Raiders got hosed on value, but got the player they were going to pick at #3 anyway. The Bills got pretty good value and the player they wanted while picking up a top 50 pick. I am fine with this.

I also think we could have picked Tavon at #8 if we liked him, and paid something like a third to move up from the second to the late first and still get Manuel, but again that is risking losing the guy you want. Even in comparing those, you have to decide between Tavon vs #41 AND #46 AND our 3rd. I think we very likely get two good starters at #41 and #46 and am happy with our moves. We didn't squeeze every drop of value possible, but a second trade down or staying at #8 and waiting or trading back up are both gambles, and not getting the QB you want is too big a price to pay for that.

I like it...........a lot. We get an extra pick so that we should get 2 starters from the second round. We get the QB that we wanted. Not the second or third picked so that you hear "we wanted this guy all along". EJ seems to have the demeanor and skills to go a long way. I myself felt he had more upside than Barkley or Nassib who have plenty of question marks themselves.

Hey and if Nix, Whaley, and Marrone are wrong about the QB pick, in probably 3 years or so they will pay for it with their jobs

It will be interesting to see what the Bills do in round 2.

I think it will say a lot about what their vision is for EJ.

If they take a WR and a TE in round 2 then I think they are pretty much setting EJ up to be the starter.

I think the key will be if they draft a TE in round 2. Every rookie QB can benifit from a good TE

CBF

Most mocks have us grabbing a linebacker and that could happen - I really have nothing against Te'o and if he is there he would be an upgrade in the middle of our defense. He was a tackling machine and the key player on a pretty good Irish defense and had high marks till the whole poor bowl game and hoax thing that was too overblown. I am not overly concerned with ILB's and their 40 speed - just how hard they hit the holes, are they instinctive, and are they solid tacklers - he's a football player and should be a productive one for any team that picks him up.

If we do go receiver I really like USC's Woods, and Zach Ertz at TE; although there are some pretty decent TE's that can be had in the 3rd - I doubt Ertz falls that far.

the only people not laughing at this pick Are bills fans once again justifying a ridiculous move by the FO. Is EJ a bad pick? time will tell. was picking him in the first When He absolutely would have been available in the second a stupid move? absolutely.

I'm not too sure your "absoluteness" is as absolute as you think. I agree that he "may" have been there, but then again, he may not have been. I few teams were pretty high on him.

Some guys see a punch bowl and think, "Hey, nice party."

Others can't wait to drop trou.

Every day we all get to choose which of those guys to be.

Scott should make a splash screen of this that pops up every time someone enters the board. Well said.

I'm not too sure your "absoluteness" is as absolute as you think. I agree that he "may" have been there, but then again, he may not have been. I few teams were pretty high on him.

i couldve easily seen the eagles snagging him to sit behind vick for a season possibly at 34. he mightve been a good chip kelly qb. as it sits now, they might get geno instead but i dont think anyone wouldve pegged ALL qbs falling out of the first.

My apologies. Missed it. I think I was blinded by all the negative karma floating around :D

Haha. No worries. It gets tiresome though, doesn't it? There is nothing dumber than rushing to conclusions on draft picks the day after they are made.

I don't see how people can fault the Bills' thought process here. They traded down, got more picks, and got the top qb on THEIR board. Now whether or not, he is the right guy is another story. But to even risk losing their top QB to pick up an extra 3rd pick is just stupid.

The simple truth is that if you were willing to gamble on whether Manuel would be there in the second -- and make no mistake, it would be nothing short of a gamble -- then you probably didn't really want him that much.

The only gambling you should be making about a pick like this is on the player himself, not whether he'll be around later so you don't have to listen to people mock you.

Haha. No worries. It gets tiresome though, doesn't it? There is nothing dumber than rushing to conclusions on draft picks the day after they are made.

I don't see how people can fault the Bills' thought process here. They traded down, got more picks, and got the top qb on THEIR board. Now whether or not, he is the right guy is another story. But to even risk losing their top QB to pick up an extra 3rd pick is just stupid.

Is that what most wanted? I agree. Criticism is a bit overboard and way too early.

A few things:

1 - I love this kid. Just great personality. Has both parents :doh: . His highlight films look the best of everyone. And oh yeah, we got extra picks with him.

2 - We got our guy. Can't argue that. We had our pick of anyone and he was it. I wonder if other teams had him this high on their board? You can complain about Geno, Nassib, or Barkley all you want, but they are still available for a reason

3 - With this being their pick, people complaining need to let it go. This team is only as good as the people making the decisions. This will always be the case. We know they did their homework and if this is their guy, then you have to believe this was their best option. Especially if we passed on guys that Marrone have seen first hand.

Now let's get him some weapons!!!

Since he was planning to go to the NFL, I would say the biggest game of his career would have been the Senior Bowl. How did he fare under the same circumstances as the other top prospects under the glare of NFL execs and scouts?

So a game where the defense can't blitz and can only run one front is his biggest game? Really?

I would disagree and say the last game of his Senior year against his biggest rival, Florida, in Talley was just a bit bigger. UF came in ranked #4 and If FSU, who only had one loss, wins that game they leap frog everybody and only need a loss by ND to possibly get into the championship game. EJ choked.

EJ's line? 3 ints and a fumble. That's his biggest game of his career and everybody watching has seen this act from EJ in big games before. The talent on FSU is enough to beat anybody in the country but their QB could never put them on his back and win a game by himself (See NCst game).

I'm not rooting for him to fail but I think this pick is another in a long line of gaffs by this joke of a FO headed by king moron Buddy Nix.

FWIW, I loved the Marone pick and defended him. I can't do the same with EJ.