Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

Won't be long now!

Most of you have at least 1 QB you like, mines this fella right here, Ryan Nassib.

NFL Draft is a fun time of the year, lately it seems to be the only time Bills fans can get excited about something.

Regardless of the out come we all love our team and there is not a doubt in my mind what football team has the most loyal fans in the world.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. There are certain throws that are specific to the NFL game that I just didn't see enough of from Nassib on video.

I'm talking about dropping the ball into the wideout's hands on 20-yard outs or corner end zone routes by throwing over the underneath coverage--rather than pitching a fastball as hard as you can throw like most of Nassib's passes. That's a skill the Brady's, Manning's, Rodger's of the world (and even Russell Wilson) excel at.

The only QB in this year's class that I've seen make that type of throw consistently is Manuel. While he's not as NFL-ready as Nassib or Barkley, he's got the arm skill to be more effective than either of these 'game manager-types' over the long haul, IMO...

1) aint no cuse wr with deep speed

2) cuse oline couldn't pass protect for more than 3 sec

3) knock on brady his first three years as a starter in the nfl was that he couldn't throw deep. Any questions on that now?

4) Marrone has the intel on Nassib... and trust me, he knows he can, and will, go deep given the horses around him. He heaved the seed 61 yds. In a qb competition. Thats 5 yds less than Manual, who supposedly has a canon for an arm.

Edited by Dr. Trooth

3) knock on brady his first three years as a starter in the nfl was that he couldn't throw deep. Any questions on that now?

4) Marrone has the intel on Nassib... and trust me, he knows he can, and will, go deep given the horses around him. He heaved the seed 61 yds. In a qb competition. Thats 5 yds less than Manual, who supposedly has a canon for an arm.

I'm not anti-Nassib as you know, but a few counter-points:

1) There are examples in games of 'cuse WRs getting open deep, and Nassib's deep throws to them leave something to be desired.

2) Doesn't this bode rather poorly for him if he's drafted by Buffalo, considering that his college coach is the head coach here? if he couldn't put an OL in front of him there, why should we expect different here?

3) HGH will do that B-)

4) It's not the arm strength that's the issue, it's his relative lack of touch on his deep ball...he throws rainbows that tend to sail something awful.

I'm not talking about arm strength (61 yrds) or deep balls, I'm taking about touch and the ability to put the ball where only the receiver can get it. I just don't see it with this kid, whether its the mediocre 'Cuse team or at the Senior Bowl where surrounding talent was not an excuse. Very few franchise QBs are just fast ball pitchers.

If Nassib didn't make those intermediate touch passes at the college level, I can't see how Marrone's 'NFL experience' would assure him that he could in the pros?

I'm not talking about arm strength (61 yrds) or deep balls, I'm taking about touch and the ability to put the ball where only the receiver can get it. I just don't see it with this kid, whether its the mediocre 'Cuse team or at the Senior Bowl where surrounding talent was not an excuse. Very few franchise QBs are just fast ball pitchers.

If Nassib didn't make those intermediate touch passes at the college level, I can't see how Marrone's 'NFL experience' would assure him that he could in the pros?

A lot of that may have a lot to do with Nassib's overly built up arms. He may not have that elasticity to make the deeper touch throws. Jim Harbaugh mentioned that Kaepernick needs to stay away from the weights a lot more.

A lot of that may have a lot to do with Nassib's overly built up arms. He may not have that elasticity to make the deeper touch throws. Jim Harbaugh mentioned that Kaepernick needs to stay away from the weights a lot more.

Someone got a little crush? :lol: Totally kidding but I see you point there. I think this is Brady Quinn's problem. Most QBs and pitchers aren't exactly cut or ripped up. I pretty sure Kelly's main exercise was 12 oz curls.

Marrone had the same problem with Nassib, made him tone it down a little,

allright...........we might have a problem now...........newest waltermock draft has us taking Nassib at #8 with Geno ON THE BOARD.

this is troubling........i hope i am wrong but Nassib is a project not a stud like I believe Geno will be from day #1.

Syracuse part 2, it's gotta be a tradedown with extra pick to make this move..........freaking out over hea....

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2013.php

Dooooooooomed.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Would love taking Ryan ay 2 or 3 but not in 1st round. Whewn was the lasttime a Big east QB made it big in NFL???? McNabb 15 years ago or so?

Uh, before Nassib, McNabb was the only cuse QB worthy of drafting. Nassib is the only really good QB they've had since then.

Eww Nassib at 8... makes me quiver.

If Marrone, his college coach, likes him enough to draft him at #8 that would make me feel pretty damn good.

Marrone not only knows a lot more about football than I do, but he also knows way more about Nassib than any scout, GM, or other coach possibly could. There would be no reason for me to second guess that pick under these circumstances.

If Marrone, his college coach, likes him enough to draft him at #8 that would make me feel pretty damn good.

Marrone not only knows a lot more about football than I do, but he also knows way more about Nassib than any scout, GM, or other coach possibly could. There would be no reason for me to second guess that pick under these circumstances.

That's where I have been on this from day one. I'm not sold on him myself although I am warming up to him as a prospect, but if Marrone is willing to bet his professional career on him by convincing Nix to pick him at #8, he must absolutely LOVE the kid as a player and potential franchise QB. And we pretty much have to trust that he knows what he is doing (if, of course, we hope to have any chance to succeed), or we're screwed anyway for the next three years or so.

So if we draft him, even though I am not completely sold on him, I think I will be pretty happy.

That's where I have been on this from day one. I'm not sold on him myself although I am warming up to him as a prospect, but if Marrone is willing to bet his professional career on him by convincing Nix to pick him at #8, he must absolutely LOVE the kid as a player and potential franchise QB. And we pretty much have to trust that he knows what he is doing (if, of course, we hope to have any chance to succeed), or we're screwed anyway for the next three years or so.

So if we draft him, even though I am not completely sold on him, I think I will be pretty happy.

IMO, this is all smokescreen stuff. There's no way the Bills draft Nassib at #8 especially over real QB prospects like Geno Smith or EJ Manuel. If they were to actually do this, it will be the worst draft pick in the history of the franchise. Not only that, but Doug Marrone would officially become Doug Moron in my book. I simply can not fathom Marrone thinking Nassib is franchise QB material. So I have to think that this Marrone/Nassib marriage talk is a smokescreen and they will draft a real franchise QB prospect instead, one who could actually win a Superbowl one day, within the first two rounds.

I will feel so embarrassed and sad for the Bills if they pick Nassib at #8.

Just reading between the lines...there's been a little too much gushing about Barkley from Marrone and he's strangely quiet about Nassib. I think this lends to the theory that Nassib is the guy they will take at #8. The Jets with 2 picks right after Buffalo will grab him if we don't. It's not out of the question for the Jets to leap ahead of Buffalo if they really like him.

IMO, this is all smokescreen stuff. There's no way the Bills draft Nassib at #8 especially over real QB prospects like Geno Smith or EJ Manuel. If they were to actually do this, it will be the worst draft pick in the history of the franchise. Not only that, but Doug Marrone would officially become Doug Moron in my book. I simply can not fathom Marrone thinking Nassib is franchise QB material. So I have to think that this Marrone/Nassib marriage talk is a smokescreen and they will draft a real franchise QB prospect instead, one who could actually win a Superbowl one day, within the first two rounds.

I will feel so embarrassed and sad for the Bills if they pick Nassib at #8.

So in other words, from your couch, you think you know more about Nassib than Doug Marrone.

So in other words, from your couch, you think you know more about Nassib than Doug Marrone.

I'd simply consider Doug Marrone out of touch with the NFL after four years at Syracuse. That he's been out of the league too long. The NFL is changing and Ryan Nassib is no where close to being part of that change. He's a QB from a bygone era that is not coming back. He's slow, unathletic and can't throw a deep ball with accuracy. If he is picked at #8, Marrone officially becomes a moron for thinking he can "manage" a Superbowl win with Nassib when you have QBs like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, Rodgers and Brees to go through first to get that ring. Sheer lunacy. This is a QB league and Nassib is NOT the QB to win you a Superbowl.

I'd simply consider Doug Marrone out of touch with the NFL after four years at Syracuse. That he's been out of the league too long. The NFL is changing and Ryan Nassib is no where close to being part of that change. He's a QB from a bygone era that is not coming back. He's slow, unathletic and can't throw a deep ball with accuracy. If he is picked at #8, Marrone officially becomes a moron for thinking he can "manage" a Superbowl win with Nassib when you have QBs like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick, Rodgers and Brees to go through first to get that ring. Sheer lunacy. This is a QB league and Nassib is NOT the QB to win you a Superbowl.

So in other words, your answer to Kelly's question is "yes."

The offense Marrone installed last year at Syracuse is exactly the kind of offense the NFL is heading toward. It's probably ahead of the curve. That is really a ridiculous assessment that he is out of touch.

I'd simply consider Doug Marrone out of touch with the NFL after four years at Syracuse.

Based on what? Your gut feel?

The speed with which he assembled a coaching staff suggests he has plenty of connections--not to mention a guy like Pettine signing on when he was a hot commodity league wide.

So in other words, your answer to Kelly's question is "yes."

If Marrone picks Nassib at #8, the answer is yes.

He'll be giving Dick MacPherson a run for his money as for which former Syracuse head coach was a bigger bust as an NFL head coach.

The offense Marrone installed last year at Syracuse is exactly the kind of offense the NFL is heading toward. It's probably ahead of the curve. That is really a ridiculous assessment that he is out of touch.

This is only based on if he picks Nassib at #8.

He'll be giving Dick MacPherson a run for his money as for which former Syracuse head coach was a bigger bust as an NFL head coach.

Well then you can rest easy, since Marrone won't be picking the player at 8. Buddy Nix is making the draft choice, with input from Doug Whaley and Marrone.

So, I guess your apprehension is completely unwarranted.

But Nassib thrived in that progressive offense that is equal to or ahead of the curve as to where the NFL is going. Nassib's play in that offense is the reason Marrone has the Bills job. How has the NFL passed him by again?

And what if Nassib winds up being a good quarterback in the NFL?

But Nassib thrived in that progressive offense that is equal to or ahead of the curve as to where the NFL is going. Nassib's play in that offense is the reason Marrone has the Bills job. How has the NFL passed him by again?

IMO, his physical limitations will prevent him have the same success in the NFL. There's no way I ever see Nassib competing with RGIII, Luck, Kaepernick or Wilson. You can't wish Nassib to be something he will never be.

This is ridiculous. /ignore

I will even go so far as to say that this whole idea of a "new NFL" with athletic QBs who do read-option stuff on the edges is nothing more than a fad.

It has never proven to be succesful in the NFL in the last 40 years. Randall Cunningham only lasted so long, Mike Vick wisened up, RGIII has already been beaten to a pulp, Wilson and Kaepernick are but infants in the league (and ultimately were defeated in the playoffs).

The only guys who hang in there long-term (and consistently go to/win SBs) sit in the pocket and distribute high-percentage balls (Montana, Warner, Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, etc) ... live to fight another down.

And calling Ryan Nassib unathletic is laughable at best, and only underscores your cluelessness.

I will even go so far as to say that this whole idea of a "new NFL" with athletic QBs who do read-option stuff on the edges is nothing more than a fad.

It has never proven to be succesful in the NFL in the last 40 years. Randall Cunningham only lasted so long, Mike Vick wisened up, RGIII has already been beaten to a pulp, Wilson and Kaepernick are but infants in the league (and ultimately were defeated in the playoffs).

The only guys who hang in there long-term (and consistently go to/win SBs) sit in the pocket and distribute high-percentage balls (Montana, Warner, Brady, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, Flacco, etc) ... live to fight another down.

And calling Ryan Nassib unathletic is laughable at best, and only underscores your cluelessness.

I strongly believe that Kaepernick and Wilson, especially the former, can sit in the pocket and pass too. The read-option may be a fad, certainly one that defenses can better prepare for in the future, but it's not like Kaep and Wilson are Tebow. There is absolutely no downside to having a QB that can scramble if necessary.

That said, I don't think Nassib is as athletic as them, but he is pretty mobile in the pocket from what I've seen.

Edited by Big C

I strongly believe that Kaepernick and Wilson, especially the former, can sit in the pocket and pass too. The read-option may be a fad, certainly one that defenses can better prepare for in the future, but it's not like Kaep and Wilson are Tebow.

Yup, especially Kaepernick at his size. I would worry more about Wilson being a pocket passer because he is really short for a QB and Brees, as good as he is, gets a bunch of passes batted down & he's taller than Wilson.

Things change. Running backs are the size of offensive linemen in the 60s. We have better athletes than ever. And coaches are realizing that just because a QB has good speed, they don't necessarily have to play a different position.

He's plenty athletic for the college game, I just don't see him being athletic enough for long term success in the NFL game.

IMO, his physical limitations will prevent him have the same success in the NFL. There's no way I ever see Nassib competing with RGIII, Luck, Kaepernick or Wilson. You can't wish Nassib to be something he will never be.

Well considering that Nassib or any Qb will be competing with the other teams defense, the point you're making is kind of silly.

I strongly believe that Kaepernick and Wilson, especially the former, can sit in the pocket and pass too. The read-option may be a fad, certainly one that defenses can better prepare for in the future, but it's not like Kaep and Wilson are Tebow. There is absolutely no downside to having a QB that can scramble if necessary.

That said, I don't think Nassib is as athletic as them, but he is pretty mobile in the pocket from what I've seen.

Precisely. Wilson is a pocket passer who happens to be able to scramble and run. Kaepernick fooled the experts because his passing touch, mechanics, and accuracy skyrocketed over the last two years. The pocket passing is why those two guys are good and maybe great. Running is a bonus.

Hmm. How long was Harbaugh out of the NFL?

Yes... I guess the game passed him by too. How long had Vermeil been out of the game when he signed on with the Rams... guess the game pased him by too. Geez... How long was Carroll out of the NFL before he came back? Looks like the game passed him by too. I guess Philly fans have nothing to look forward to...Chip Kelly has been out of the NFL forever.

Nassib is just anothed slow, old school QB, just like Eli, Peyton, Brady and Brees. When will people ever learn?