Ryan Nassib - QB - Syracuse

"Nassib may be the top overall QB from a physical tools standpoint in this draft."

http://nflsfuture.co...couting-report/

"Arm Strength: Nassib is loaded with arm talent. He throws the ball with a ton of velocity and can fit the ball into tight windows. There isn’t a throw on the field that Nassib can’t make."

"I came away very unimpressed with his ability to throw the deep ball. For someone with his arm speed, his throws vertically down the field lack accuracy and often fall short of the target"

"Accuracy: Year to year, Nassib has grown in the accuracy department. As a redshirt sophomore he really struggled with overall accuracy. Fast forward to 2012 when he threw at a 62% clip. Nassib excels with accuracy on short to intermediate throws. His accuracy on deep balls leaves a bit to be desired. I have concerns with his ball placement at times. In a clean pocket with open receivers he too often will throw the ball in areas that cause the receiver to transition. While it’s a catchable ball, he will need to work on putting the ball in optimal spots to allow for YAC."

Like I stated in an earlier post, His arm strength / accuracy issue has more to do with his deep ball misses. But then like pointed out by others, it simply could be that he has never had the talent at WR or O line for protection to make those deep throws on a consistent basis. So consequently with no practice he can't make it perfect.

No QB in this years draft is worthy of that #8 pick, so why reach for a QB when you solidify other areas of the team, and take a decent QB to develop in the 2nd round.

This column was dated January 16th. Before Nassib's awful performance in the Senior Bowl and his not so great showing at the combine. It says that he runs a 4.70 forty yard dash when the reality is his 5.09 time at the combine. He was slower than 12 offensive lineman and everyone on defense who was not a defensive tackle at the combine.

Now, how in the world can someone write "There isn’t a throw on the field that Nassib can’t make"…

and immediately follow that statement with…

"I came away very unimpressed with his ability to throw the deep ball. For someone with his arm speed, his throws vertically down the field lack accuracy and often fall short of the target."

Nassib is a slow, short, unathletic QB who is simply not NFL starting material let alone franchise QB material. He can be tough and smart all he wants, he won't be able to get past his physical limitations. It's very hard to find any recent articles touting Nassib's as a future NFL franchise QB. Last night on the NFL channel, after they showed footage of Nassib's pro day, Mike Tannenbaum compared him to Matt Moore and Daniel Jeremiah compared him to Ryan Fitzpatrick. On NFL.com, Gil Brandt recently compared him to a taller Colt McCoy. On NFL radio, Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller think he's an awful QB prospect.

So it's not just Bucky Brooks. Nassib's stock is falling. The QB that I think Bills fans should start to focus on is Matt Scott (also Smith and Manuel). That kid has it all. Better arm than Nassib, very fast, very athletic, just as competitive if not more so, better resume of teams he beat up on (Stanford, USC) in 2012. That's the guy who's stock is rising and will be drafted ahead of Ryan Nassib. If we're lucky, hopefully by the Bills.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no better judge of Nassib than Marrone and Hackett.

They know better than anyone. Period.

I consider them intellligent men and expect them to give a fair report to Nix and Whaley.

Nix wants him at eight he probably got good intel.

be surprised though .

I like the kid.

I am hoping that the scouts that matter(the NFL team scouts) don't rate Nassib above a mid 3rd round talent......and that he quickly fails in the NFL.

This is nothing personal I have against him.

It's just that if it is apparent that he is not a good QB prospect(or good QB), then it shines favourably upon Marrone/Hackett as they managed to have relative success with a lesser talent.

Conversely, if Nassib is a high 2nd rounder or better prospect/talent....and he quickly becomes a good QB in the NFL......this will imply that there was an element that Marrone/Hackett rode on the coattails of their talented QB.

Fingers crossed that Nassib is rated quite low and then fails dismally. :D

I am hoping that the scouts that matter(the NFL team scouts) don't rate Nassib above a mid 3rd round talent......and that he quickly fails in the NFL.

This is nothing personal I have against him.

It's just that if it is apparent that he is not a good QB prospect(or good QB), then it shines favourably upon Marrone/Hackett as they managed to have relative success with a lesser talent.

Conversely, if Nassib is a high 2nd rounder or better prospect/talent....and he quickly becomes a good QB in the NFL......this will imply that there was an element that Marrone/Hackett rode on the coattails of their talented QB.

Fingers crossed that Nassib is rated quite low and then fails dismally. :D

consider this please then. Nassib was well developed and has become what he is by way of these coaches.

It takes two to Tango of course but if Marroon and Hackem made good use of Ryan and developed him into what he is ? well its the coaches.

I think it's a two way street this instance and both parties are skilled folks.

consider this please then. Nassib was well developed and has become what he is by way of these coaches.

It takes two to Tango of course but if Marroon and Hackem made good use of Ryan and developed him into what he is ? well its the coaches.

I think it's a two way street this instance and both parties are skilled folks.

That's a good point.

(I'll have to readjust my flippant theory :))

I don't understand why you refer to Marrone/Hackett in a derogatory manner though(Marroon/Hackem).

Thanks Dr Trooth,

Some of you guys just can't handle the Trooth!!!

That article is from November 23rd...it's ancient history. Please show us a current Eagle blog where they are loving them some Ryan Nassib...lol

Edited by 1billsfan

All this Nassib BS reminds me of the Naamen Rosevelt talk, trying to trump up a guy who was a star in a mediocre local talent pool on a bad team, in an inferior program against second or third tier competition.

The guy might be a good player, but how people here feel they have any clue how to judge the difference between an NFL caliber arm and a collegiate arm is beyond me.

The guy obviously had an arm or he wouldn't by a collegiate QB, but there is a reason why Kapernick was wowing pundits and playing for a Super Bowl while Fitz has everyone screaming for the next option.

To suggest Bucky Brooks is no expert is fine but the maroons who then go on to offer their own opinion as if they have any clue on gods green earth as to what an NFL arm is, is so hilarious.

Oh yeah Dr Trooth, Bucky is no authority, he's just a paid NFL commentator and analyst, but you as a randomn blog poster and what a ups truck driver or retail furtiture store manager, you somehow possess real NFL insight, because you watched three you tube videos,, played madden football last weekend and subscribed to NFL red zone..... the NFL just hasnt found you yet. Yeah sure... Priceless

There is no better judge of Nassib than Marrone and Hackett.

They know better than anyone. Period.

I consider them intellligent men and expect them to give a fair report to Nix and Whaley.

Nix wants him at eight he probably got good intel.

be surprised though .

I like the kid.

There's no worse judge for Nassib that Marrone and/or Hackett.

The only know their mediocre college QB. Period.

I consider them intelligent men, but DON'T expect them to give a fair report to Nix and Whaley. In fact, I expect their report to be be pretty f_____g biased.

Nix wants him at eight, but if he's getting his intel from the same guy who scouted TJ Graham, we're screwed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy blew this pick.

I have nothing personal against the kid. -But I've watched him play and he's not an NFL starting prospect.

-No offense intended to 3rd and 12, -I've watched Nassib for YEARS, and think he could someday be a serviceable backup.

Edited by #34fan

There's no worse judge for Nassib that Marrone and/or Hackett.

The only know their mediocre college QB. Period.

I consider them intelligent men, but DON'T expect them to give a fair report to Nix and Whaley. In fact, I expect their report to be be pretty f_____g biased.

Nix wants him at eight, but if he's getting his intel from the same guy who scouted TJ Graham, we're screwed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy blew this pick.

I have nothing personal against the kid. -But I've watched him play and he's not an NFL starting prospect.

-No offense intended to 3rd and 12, -I've watched Nassib for YEARS, and think he could someday be a serviceable backup.

:nana:

No worse judge, lol, ya lets not take the opinion/ evaluation of the coach that knows Nassib the best, brilliant #34

brilliant...

That article is from November 23rd...it's ancient history. Please show us a current Eagle blog where they are loving them some Ryan Nassib...lol

[Edit: fixed link, sorry!]

Not an Eagle blog but perhaps this link is of interest. I posted this link in the old "What Qualities do we want in our Next QB?" thread but it seems to have degraded into sarcasm.

"Football Outsiders" is similar to "Cold Hard Football Facts", an outfit which tries to generate predictive metrics.

Surprisingly, they rate Nassib as the 4th best QB prospect, behind Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and "The Asterisk" who got their top rating....Landry Jones of Oklahoma.

(read the article, complicated to rehash - essentially "our formula coughed him out at the top and it makes us suspect our formula...we got a similar rank with Wilson last year and look what happened).

Excerpts:

"There are seven variables involved in the Lewin Career Forecast:

• Career college games started
  • Career completion rate. Because of recent rises in completion rate across college football, this is a logarithmic variable, so that as a quarterback's completion percentage goes down, the penalty for low completion percentage gets gradually larger.
  • Difference between the quarterback's BMI and 28.0. This creates a small penalty for quarterbacks who don't exactly conform to the "ideal quarterback size."
  • For quarterbacks who come out as seniors, the difference in NCAA passer rating between their junior and senior seasons. (For quarterbacks who come out as juniors or redshirt sophomores, this variable is always 5.0, which is the average increase for the seniors in our data set.)
  • A binary variable that penalizes quarterbacks who don't play for a team in a BCS-qualifying conference.
  • Run-pass ratio in the quarterback's final college season.
  • Total rushing yards in the quarterback's final college season.

The projection number represents an estimate for passing DYAR in years 3-5 of a player's career. (DYAR, or Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement, is explained here.) The top prospects will be above 1,200 DYAR, and you should avoid quarterbacks below zero."

"Ryan Nassib, Syracuse: 1,506 DYAR

Nassib is a three-year starter who improved significantly in his final season, although his career completion rate isn't as high as you would like (only 60.4 percent). He seems to be climbing up the draft boards of the various draft experts across the Web, although that doesn't tell us what teams think about him. After the Bills hired his college coach Doug Marrone, Nassib to the Bills in the second round is too obvious not to happen."

I would really prefer to draft a QB who is considered to be the best choice available, rather than one whose choice is "too obvious not to happen"

No worse judge, lol, ya lets not take the opinion/ evaluation of the coach that knows Nassib the best, brilliant #34

It's a point that all teachers who work intensively with students (music, etc), coaches included, become very close to their top students, almost "in loco parentis".

This has an inevitable benefit in mutual committment and in inevitable drawback in loss of objectivity.

Edited by Hopeful

It's a point that all teachers who work intensively with students (music, etc), coaches included, become very close to their top students, almost "in loco parentis".

This has an inevitable benefit in mutual committment and in inevitable drawback in loss of objectivity.

Kinda like when Gailey and his staff coached Kelvin Sheppard in the Senior Bowl and fell in love with him?

Not an Eagle blog but perhaps this link is of interest. I posted this link in the old "What Qualities do we want in our Next QB?" thread but it seems to have degraded into sarcasm.

"Football Outsiders" is similar to "Cold Hard Football Facts", an outfit which tries to generate predictive metrics.

Surprisingly, they rate Nassib as the 4th best QB prospect, behind Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, and "The Asterisk" who got their top rating....Landry Jones of Oklahoma.

(read the article, complicated to rehash - essentially "our formula coughed him out at the top and it makes us suspect our formula...we got a similar rank with Wilson last year and look what happened).

Excerpts:

"There are seven variables involved in the Lewin Career Forecast:

• Career college games started
  • Career completion rate. Because of recent rises in completion rate across college football, this is a logarithmic variable, so that as a quarterback's completion percentage goes down, the penalty for low completion percentage gets gradually larger.
  • Difference between the quarterback's BMI and 28.0. This creates a small penalty for quarterbacks who don't exactly conform to the "ideal quarterback size."
  • For quarterbacks who come out as seniors, the difference in NCAA passer rating between their junior and senior seasons. (For quarterbacks who come out as juniors or redshirt sophomores, this variable is always 5.0, which is the average increase for the seniors in our data set.)
  • A binary variable that penalizes quarterbacks who don't play for a team in a BCS-qualifying conference.
  • Run-pass ratio in the quarterback's final college season.
  • Total rushing yards in the quarterback's final college season.

The projection number represents an estimate for passing DYAR in years 3-5 of a player's career. (DYAR, or Defense-Adjusted Yards Above Replacement, is explained here.) The top prospects will be above 1,200 DYAR, and you should avoid quarterbacks below zero."

"Ryan Nassib, Syracuse: 1,506 DYAR

Nassib is a three-year starter who improved significantly in his final season, although his career completion rate isn't as high as you would like (only 60.4 percent). He seems to be climbing up the draft boards of the various draft experts across the Web, although that doesn't tell us what teams think about him. After the Bills hired his college coach Doug Marrone, Nassib to the Bills in the second round is too obvious not to happen."

I would really prefer to draft a QB who is considered to be the best choice available, rather than one whose choice is "too obvious not to happen"

I find these kind of rating systems interesting as well. However, they even recognize that their system has faults (See Colt McCoy and Brady Quinn). The one thing that should disqualify Ryan Nassib from this evaluation system is this...

"The system is only meant to be used on players chosen in the first two days of the draft"

I think Nassib has been the most over rated prospect by the mock drafters of the world. Other than Mayock who compared him to Andy Dalton, I can't find one draft expert who compares him to a starting NFL QB. So it stands to reason that he is backup material and therefore should be drafted on the third day. Gil Brandt has Nassib in his top five QBs in the class and he compares him to Colt McCoy. That's really not good! If Colt McCoy were in this draft he'd go where?...6th round?

Two more things about this system...

1. How in the world did Nassib get more points than EJ Manuel? Given the parameters there should be no way Nassib grades higher.

2. How in the world does your 40 speed not factor in? They factored in the size measurables. Nassib ran a horrible 5.09 at the combine. Ever since then, the Nassib hype in the NFL draft media finally started to simmer down.

Edited by 1billsfan