Has anyone seen this team worse off than right now?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys gotta understand how Buddy Nix operates, he spent the big money on super Mario last year. This year he is willing to let dust settle and scoop up the cheap FA's, after all the big names have been signed elsewhere.

BTW, the Titans signing Andy Levite is some small revenge because the Titans wanted desperately to sign Mario after they lost out on Peyton Manning.

Anyway, now with Levite gone and his backup Rinehart off to the Chargers the Bills are lacking in guards. No worries tho, Nix is good at finding replacement scrubs off the waiver wire.

1. The market is what it is. If your a good player, someone will over pay you to have you on there team.

2.What I consider a solid player? Someone who has been a starter for a few years. Someone who isn't a back up. I am not saying they may not someday become solid starters. But players who have played for a couple teams and still doesn't start, is not a solid player. IMHO. But I believe a solid player for the Bills could be considered a back up for a good team. It's all relative.

You mean someone like Kevin Boothe?

based on the contracts and Bills cap space, what would have made you 'feel' good?

What I "feel" has nothing to do with it. Let me ask you a question Jeremy. What in the last three years leads you to believe this front office can turn this losing culture around?

Prozac ??

maybe rose colored glasses?

You mean someone like Kevin Boothe?

I like Boothe. He would be a solid stop gap player. Isn't he in his early thirties? Seems like he has been around a while. I have always liked Giants linemen. The way they play I mean.

I like Boothe. He would be a solid stop gap player. Isn't he in his early thirties? Seems like he has been around a while. I have always liked Giants linemen. The way they play I mean.

Boothe will be 30 in July. He's a guard who, in a pinch, can also be plugged in at OT or center. He would bring with him 2 Superbowl rings and some veteran leadership.

His salary last year was $1.5 M. He's on the Bears' radar, and supposedly considering mutliple offers. Let's hope one of them is from the Bills.

Twitter really is ruining free agency for me. Everyone thinks because the bills aren't feeding every numbnuts with a twitter account gossip that they are doing nothing.

The Lawson signing proves we have no idea what's going on inside OBD.

We aren't a big media darling, we aren't hitting a top 5 target, and we aren't feeding info to the press so clearly nothing is happening

Boom. Buffalo is not a media darling. If you look at the FA list on NFL.com, they don't have Buffalo listed as interested in anyone. Why? Either because nobody asked or the Bills are not talking. What the Bills do in FA in the 2nd/3rd day or FA is just not newsworthy.

I think the plan is to build a dominant defense as they do not believe they will be able to acquire a franchise QB this year. Nix said on the Tampa call something like, "now is not a good time to need one." In other words he doesn't love any QB in the draft. We have quality talent on defense and the hope is Pettine can make them come together to become a top defense. Then maybe get a guy like Nassib, a receiver to compliment Stevie. Of course we have Spiller. I think Graham has potential if someone can hit him on the deep ball. Let Marrone innovate with those players and put together a respectable offense to compliment a top defense. No question the Bills are in a tough spot. It's very hard to win without a franchise QB and the chips have not fallen to where the Bills can get one. That's why they may try to do it with defense.

What I "feel" has nothing to do with it. Let me ask you a question Jeremy. What in the last three years leads you to believe this front office can turn this losing culture around?

I never made any statements to that effect. I understand how they would be helpful to your narrative, but they did not occur.

Which players that were signed at their respective contracts would you have signed? If you're more interested in just being angry than looking at the options, I understand.

The plan is to wait.

Signing a guy next week can potentially save the Bills alot of money, compared to signing the same guy today.

There are atleast 20 teams that haven`t done much in FA yet. You think none of them are gonna do anything?

Here`s a good article on the first days of FA:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9046691/bill-barnwell-first-day-nfl-free-agency

I do believe they have a plan. They can't tell anyone their plan....other than the Buddy Nix taped phone call......if they told everyone their plan, there would be serious ramifications. You can't tell people that your plan is to lose big in 2013. That goes against everything sports are supposed to be about but it does happen. They would not sell any more tickets in 2013 if they said "Plan is to be the worst team in the NFL" They really have to bottom out. They need a franchise QB. Those guys are in college until 2014. The plan does not include Buddy Nix making decisions. Look at the 2014 QB Draft Class. Just look at it. Seriously look at it. It's 1,000x better than 2013. If they draft a QB in the 2013 draft in the first three rounds than I would have to believe that they really are clueless. Do not listen to the fans. Do not listen to Buddy Nix. Do not try and win this year. We'll see what happens. What they should do is get a few scraps in UFA as nothing more than stopgaps and roster fillers, trade the 8th this year and get two 1st round picks and an extra second. Fill needs in this draft. LB's, WR's, TE, DB, OL. Stay as far under the cap as allowed. Let TJax start and play every game. Evaluate all throughout 2013 who stays and who goes moving forward (i.e. all of Buddy's previous draft picks). Resign Wood. Get Spiller locked up long term. Draft the franchise QB with one of the top few picks in the 2014 draft. By 2015 they will be back in the playoffs.

Buddy Nix reminds me so much of Bullough with some of the odd things he says. I think even Stew Barber was a better GM then Nix.

As so many others have stated I still have no idea why Mr Catfish is still the Bills GM.

This era is bad guys, perhaps the very worst in Bills history, 13 years long.

Sorry for the snarky comment. I was going for levity not offense. My apology if i offended. Still, the answer is the same with either wording - yes i have. Still wondering if it was a serious question though. :-)

No worries at all. It was a serious question. Most of us on this board have been fans for a long time, some a llittle longer than others. There is no doubt there has been seasons that were horrible and just tough to watch. What I am pointing out is have we seen the organization as whole from the top down be so inept? I have thought of Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough years and they were very bad. I just dont remember the whole thing being this bad. Thats all and apology accepted. We all need to remember we are on the same team. Its nice to come here and just left off some steam.

The Bills lose 1 starter off the and I quote "MOST TALENTED TEAM IN YEARS", and all of a sudden it`s the worst Bills team this millenium.

This board really cracks me up.

Its not just about Levitre, I think we all or most expected him to go. Its the lack of direction and the serious mismanagement of the team. When you have 13 years of no playoffs that sums it up.

You can't say this team doesn't have it's deep positions, it just so happens that the team is a bit top heavy. Guys like CJ, Stevie, Byrd, Wood, Williams (both) are among the best at their positions. We just need a QB, simply put.

You can't say this team doesn't have it's deep positions, it just so happens that the team is a bit top heavy. Guys like CJ, Stevie, Byrd, Wood, Williams (both) are among the best at their positions. We just need a QB, simply put.

I am not sure I am reading you right so please elaborate. Sure the guys you mention are great players. There is no denying that. And our O line is still pretty good. But for DE who do we really have opposite Mario. And Fred Jackson has really begun to slow down. Sure some is due to injury but we cant ignore his age and that when RB's take a huge nosedive. And your right, A great qb can definitel mask some things.

I do believe they have a plan. They can't tell anyone their plan....other than the Buddy Nix taped phone call......if they told everyone their plan, there would be serious ramifications. You can't tell people that your plan is to lose big in 2013. That goes against everything sports are supposed to be about but it does happen. They would not sell any more tickets in 2013 if they said "Plan is to be the worst team in the NFL" They really have to bottom out. They need a franchise QB. Those guys are in college until 2014. The plan does not include Buddy Nix making decisions. Look at the 2014 QB Draft Class. Just look at it. Seriously look at it. It's 1,000x better than 2013. If they draft a QB in the 2013 draft in the first three rounds than I would have to believe that they really are clueless. Do not listen to the fans. Do not listen to Buddy Nix. Do not try and win this year. We'll see what happens. What they should do is get a few scraps in UFA as nothing more than stopgaps and roster fillers, trade the 8th this year and get two 1st round picks and an extra second. Fill needs in this draft. LB's, WR's, TE, DB, OL. Stay as far under the cap as allowed. Let TJax start and play every game. Evaluate all throughout 2013 who stays and who goes moving forward (i.e. all of Buddy's previous draft picks). Resign Wood. Get Spiller locked up long term. Draft the franchise QB with one of the top few picks in the 2014 draft. By 2015 they will be back in the playoffs.

this.

I think the best way to approach the '13 draft is to take a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and plan on starting him. Best case scenario the rook is good and he takes the team to the playoffs. If not, the team should be completely open to drafting one of the elite guys in '14.

Essentially Im willing to burn a 2nd/3rd round pick on a one year tryout for one of these QB's. The worst thing the Bills could do is commit to one of these guys long term...we'll just be back here again 5 years from now.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

The Bills lose 1 starter off the and I quote "MOST TALENTED TEAM IN YEARS", and all of a sudden it`s the worst Bills team this millenium.

This board really cracks me up.

I'm not sure about your counting. Personally, I count Barnett, Wilson and Fitz as starters, and Kelsay as a key backup, all gone, with no one but Manny Lawson to replace them, granted it's early in FA. If they can bring in another LB z(Burnett orDansby or Connor Barwin, please), a TE (I hope Keller doesn't sign with Miami), Brandon Moore and a decent WR, they may salvage something, but I highly doubt much, if any, of the foregoing will come to pass. It kind of looks like they're not really trying right now....

Yeah I have. I remember back when this team didn't have Manny Lawson

Lol....that's very clever.

I don't think the Chicken Littles will understand the simple subtlety of it though.

But its truth makes it impossible not to laugh.

I personally hope we have the #1 pick next year and use this one to just shore up several holes. Grab the top QB and then start the playoff runs.

Wouldn't mind that. Get some good OL, LB, WR help in this draft. Trade up to #1 or #2 next year and get Manzel or Bridgewater.

I agree, but you still need some level of competence and vision. Even the best Civil War General Robert E. Lee was defeated by an army with superior resources. I don't care how smart Doug Marrone is, if we can't execute in the front office he won't be able to produce W's.

We lost a guard and an older safety. Both potentially to be replaced with acceptable players still

We may have gotten better at qb

We upgraded with a quality LB

Last year it was playoffs or bust, now it's the worst team ever? Really?

I think the plan is to build a dominant defense as they do not believe they will be able to acquire a franchise QB this year.

Nix has been pursuing that for 3 years. Last year, the defense was the worst in Bills history. Building a dominant defense does not look like an area of expertise.

I have a feeling the #Bills are getting set to shop the clearance section in free agency. The point of analytics is value. So they are sitting back watching people over pay for the name brand.....then shopping the clearance when it goes on sale:) any savvy female can see the reasoning behind this :)

Agreed......but not on your use of the word analytics.

Analytics literally means......the science of logic analysis.

It astounds me that it has only been in recent times that multi-billion dollar companies have switched to more logical processes of running their businesses. Perhaps it was a catch 22. One needs logic to figure that it is better to use one's brains to make decisions rather than one's gut.....one's heart.....or one's arse.

Actually it just occurred to me why it was that Buddy was in such a hurry to hire Ken Wisenhunt. This roster is very similar to last year's Cardinals roster, minus Larry Fitzgerald. The defensive styles will be similar, the QB position will be similar, and the shoddy offensive line will be similar. Wiz would've been perfect.