DeadSpin - Convo Between Nix and Tampa GM

That's hysterical. If you think this phone call had anything to do with Fitz's release you probably also beleive the moon landing was faked and the pyramids were built by aliens. Do you sleep with all that tinfoil on your head?

A number of us had laid out months ago (in great detail) exactly what was going to happen with Fitz, not by guesswork, but with logic and deductive reasoning. And you know what? It happened exactly as we said it would. The only question left after the Nix story was how soon would the kooks show up to blame his release on a leaked phone call. That question just got answered too.

ESPN bobbleheads just laughed at the Bills method of operating. The Nix comments being called idiotic in particular.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills offered him a very small contract, before this came out, at only 3m a year for four years. And he and everyone else knew that they also signed Tjax to be a back-up and they would be drafting a QB high. This very likely had ZERO to do with his decision. He will get that money easily on another team. I thought they would offer him a lot more, for like two years. If I were him, I would have turned it down immediately, too, with nothing to do with the tape.

It's possible the tape simply made the decision a little easier, but ultimately had zero effect on his decision.

Wouldn't it have been incentive laden to make up the money?

Wouldn't it have been incentive laden to make up the money?

There was about 4 mil in incentives, too, built into the deal, based on being the starter as well as other stuff. But he wasn't going to be the full time starter. That's not a lot of money. I would bet anyone right now that he signs on as a back-up for a team for more money than the Bills offered him.

There was about 4 mil in incentives, too, built into the deal, based on being the starter as well as other stuff. But he wasn't going to be the full time starter. That's not a lot of money. I would bet anyone right now that he signs on as a back-up for a team for more money than the Bills offered him.

at 3m per with 4m in incentives?

i dont see substantially more in his future.

at 3m per with 4m in incentives?

i dont see substantially more in his future.

Chase Daniel just got 3m +. Matt Moore got 2-8m to be back-up. I think Fitz easily gets 4-5 per for 2 years. He very likely wasn't going to reach any incentives being the full time starter for any team including the Bills..

The lack of knowledge most posters have when it pertains to running a business, and PUBLICLY managing that business and employees is painfully obvious. People here expect our GM to give the media completely honest answers right from the hip. They'll site Nix backing Fitz in the media previously, as if he could have said anything else.

It's just posters showing their typical ignorance in order to find something to complain about.

Exactly my point. I hate to call anyone ignorant because at the end of the day we're all Bills fans, but it amazes me how the people with the most to say and who say it most vehemently seem to know the least about how the world works, especially the business world. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some (most) people's opinions are just plain wrong.

Does this fall under wiretapping? I don't think so but a lawyer I'm not dadgummit!

I was wondering that too. But the kids called the TB GM and Nix called the kids (returning a call they made), and the kids just made it a conference call i gather.

Doesn't sound like wire tapping to me, but I also am no lawyer.

Chase Daniel just got 3m +. Matt Moore got 2-8m to be back-up. I think Fitz easily gets 4-5 per for 2 years. He very likely wasn't going to reach any incentives being the full time starter for any team including the Bills..

i think he gets pretty close to moore as a general guess, and solidly a backup wherever he ends up.

jason campbell got a 1 year 3.5m for instance too. kyle orton was a 3 year 10m. just some more names in that 3-4 range that are solid backups with starting experience gone wrong.

i dont think he comes close to 5 per, but thats just my guess.

Edited by NoSaint

They recorded a conversation between two people without their knowledge and/or consent.

Huh?

Does this fall under wiretapping? I don't think so but a lawyer I'm not dadgummit!

I was wondering that too. But the kids called the TB GM and Nix called the kids (returning a call they made), and the kids just made it a conference call i gather.

Doesn't sound like wire tapping to me, but I also am no lawyer.

This was a prank call they recorded. If Buddy hadn't been so persistent and hot to talk to the Tampa GM, this event never would have happened.

Wiretapping is, well, wiretapping.

Jesus. I don't think Buddy said anything we didn't already know, but that's f***ng embarrassing.

Will Brandon fire the hick now? Dadgumit!

Well, he hand picked Gailey, picked FItz as the QB of the future and went from the 43 to a 34 and back to a 43. In Buddy's manifesto named, "Rebuilding the BIlls", those 3 moves were under Chapter 1 titled 'The Foundation".

He deserves more than Bashers.

Edited by FeartheLosing

I'm not a big Buddy fan, but this is just gross. Congrats to whoever got pseudo-famous for 24 hours at the expense of a secretary, who is probably upset beyond belief. All over a "story" that broke no significant news and will likely disappear in the next news cycle unless the NFL and/or the Feds decide to pursue the media group, in one way or the other.

Bud-man is just doing his job, networking with other GMs. I have no problem with this. if it does hurt anyone its Fitzpatrick because now you have the inside scoop from his former GM that he's only backup material while he's a FA trying to find a starting position somewhere else.

Will Brandon fire the hick now? Dadgumit!

Posted Today, 05:42 PM by FeartheLosing

snapback.pngeball, on 12 March 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

Jesus. I don't think Buddy said anything we didn't already know, but that's f***ng embarrassing.

Will Brandon fire the hick now? Dadgumit! Edited by FeartheLosing, Today, 05:44 PM.

snapback.pngJohn Cocktosten, on 12 March 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

Well, he hand picked Gailey, picked FItz as the QB of the future and went from the 43 to a 34 and back to a 43. In Buddy's manifesto named, "Rebuilding the BIlls", those 3 moves were under Chapter 1 titled 'The Foundation".

He deserves more than Bashers.

Uh-oh !! ...

Uh-oh!! ...And here I was thinking Buddy's positives out weighed his negatives. I actually had to look up the spelling of "uh-oh" (yes, guilty) and this was someone's definition: " word or words for 'suspecting a problem' ". That's about the only thing I have to say about all this.

Uh-oh!!

Edited by Yonder_d7

I think Fitz will get between 3-4 to hold a clipboard or maybe take a slightly better incentive laden deal in AZ. Why would you offer Fitz 4 more years if you decided he wasn't the guy?

I think Fitz will get between 3-4 to hold a clipboard or maybe take a slightly better incentive laden deal in AZ. Why would you offer Fitz 4 more years if you decided he wasn't the guy?

They decided he wasnt the guy but that he was a good back-up. Three mil is a small contract for even a back-up.

They decided he wasnt the guy but that he was a good back-up. Three mil is a small contract for even a back-up.

And they will end up paying that much to a worse backup, unless they draft two QBs

And they will end up paying that much to a worse backup, unless they draft two QBs

As of today, I think they go into the season with a high draft pick rookie, TJax, another rookie and Smith as emergency, who may even get some snaps at QB in packages with run option plays. TJax could even start opening day. There just isn't anyone decent around, IMO.

On NFL Network Billick said he thinks that Fitz just didn't fit the new offense Marrone wants to run. So that is probably what led to the low ball offer.

Bud-man is just doing his job, networking with other GMs. I have no problem with this. if it does hurt anyone its Fitzpatrick because now you have the inside scoop from his former GM that he's only backup material while he's a FA trying to find a starting position somewhere else.

It seems that, until today, you and Buddy were the only two souls who felt this was secret, privileged information...

In Florida, generally all parties must consent to the recording or the disclosure of the contents of any wire, oral or electronic communication. This means phone calls! Recording, disclosing, or endeavoring to disclose without the consent of all parties is a felony, unless the interception is a first offense committed without any illegal purpose, and not for commercial gain. Florida Statute section 934.03.

Felony if for profit or second offence....

I got a feeling, Nix is getting another earful right now from someone upstairs.

I'm also getting a worse feeling that Nix is still in charge.

Bucs offering Hambone Meredith back to the Bills? For real?

" And he kept calling back. Into Thursday evening, resuming again on Friday morning, Nix's personal number kept lighting up their cell phone. They ignored it, until they came up with a plan. "

I wonder if Buddy left any voicemail messages ?

Maybe like a pathetic love-sick loser (come on, we've all been there! :unsure:). Somebody should parody this, dadgummit.

The jokes just write them selves.

Edited by Yonder_d7

Somewhere in the 18 pages did someone bring up Buddy Nix saying "bad time to need one" in reference to a QB?

I'm pretty sure that means he agrees with me that this draft sucks for QBs.

A QB @#8 may not be a foregone conclussion.

Somewhere in the 18 pages did someone bring up Buddy Nix saying "bad time to need one" in reference to a QB?

I'm pretty sure that means he agrees with me that this draft sucks for QBs.

A QB @#8 may not be a foregone conclussion.

Or he thinks the top 2 are gone by 8

8 is always a tough spot to need one - too low for a sure thing too high for a project

This very well could have killed the Fitz restructure. For all we know he may have been willing to take less, guy dug the town, the organization, the fans. He had never been more successful, then Buddy goes and ***** on him to other teams. Why would you take a pay cut to work for an employer who just told you, you suck at your job. He'll make the same as a restructured deal with another team either competing to start or I wouldn't be suprised if he became the backup in San Fran

I agree. I like what Buddy had to say, and if that's what got Fitz out of here, that's a good thing...........Great guy, but having him around as a backup would not be good, and as a starter would be demoralizing.

Why isn't anyone calling for Nix' head? Is he still worthy of sitting in the GM seat? Would we be worse off firing him now?

You want to fire a GM one day into FA? Yeah, good idea. The team already has a successor in place and it sounds like this is Buddy's last offseason as GM anyway, there's no need to fire the guy other than to make your already dysfunctional team appear even more so (if that's actually possible.)