Fitz due roster bonus in March

first_and_ten

Ryan Fitzpatrick is due a roster bonus in March. What do the Bills brass do? Do they cut him? Do they restructure his contract? Or do they pay it and go forward as is? My opinion is they will try to restructure his contract. This is the only way to really save on the cap. If he won't restructure, which would be foolish of him, then they cut him. Either way they will not pay that roster bonus.

Even though there are rules against it, most teams more or less know if they won the bidding war on free agents by the end of the Combine. Keep in my that Nix told us well before free agency last year that the bills would be a "big player" in free agency last year. So if the bill come up with a plan for the QB position prior to March something might be done.

Edited by auburnbillsbacker

If he does not restructure he is gone. No way they pay him the roster bonus when he is most likely a backup. Plus, if he does not restructure, that gives you some insight into his attitude about being demoted to second string. Don't need that negativity for the new QB. He could go to AZ. He's prob good enough to get the ball to Fitzgerald.

If he does not restructure he is gone. No way they pay him the roster bonus when he is most likely a backup. Plus, if he does not restructure, that gives you some insight into his attitude about being demoted to second string. Don't need that negativity for the new QB. He could go to AZ. He's prob good enough to get the ball to Fitzgerald.

I disagree. He saves nothing against the cap if cut. He has a head for the game and he will be a great mentor to any drafted QB. I don;t foresee the Bills being big players in a trade for Alex Smith either so that pretty much makes Fitz the QB vet we keep by default

Plus he'll restructure, the only way he wouldn't restructure is if he believed he can make big money somewhere else, other wise Fitz knows his best payday is to stay put and restructure

I disagree. He saves nothing against the cap if cut. He has a head for the game and he will be a great mentor to any drafted QB. I don;t foresee the Bills being big players in a trade for Alex Smith either so that pretty much makes Fitz the QB vet we keep by default

Plus he'll restructure, the only way he wouldn't restructure is if he believed he can make big money somewhere else, other wise Fitz knows his best payday is to stay put and restructure

He can make money but what kind of contract do backup QB's get? A deal w someone Like Green Bay behind a very good QB he could do well when needed and enough to win. A 3 yr contract? $4mm/yr?

Dudes. Bills aint cutting Fitz. Come back and show me the love on March 4th.

The logic?

1) Cutting Fitz gives the Bills only a 450k benefit this year. So, virtually no cap relief this year.

2) Cutting Fitz gives the Bills no qb at all. No qb at all means Bills have no leverage in trades, no leverage in negotiating for a FA qb, and no leverage in any potential trade up in the draft.

With that, my friends, do you think the Bills are really that stupid to cut Fitz without having a SIGNIFICANTLY better option at qb RIGHT NOW???... like before he's cut.

The logic?

1) Cutting Fitz gives the Bills only a 450k benefit this year. So, virtually no cap relief this year.

2) Cutting Fitz gives the Bills no qb at all. No qb at all means Bills have no leverage in trades, no leverage in negotiating for a FA qb, and no leverage in any potential trade up in the draft.

With that, my friends, do you think the Bills are really that stupid to cut Fitz without having a SIGNIFICANTLY better option at qb RIGHT NOW???... like before he's cut.

Cant argue with this

CBF

The logic?

I agree Fitz is leverage. For the other team.

The logic?

This^

There is no benefit to letting him go now. None, zero zip. It just creates another hole. Not a good idea to go into the draft needing to draft a QB in order to have, well anyone capable of playing QB in August

Ryan Fitzpatrick is due a roster bonus in March. What do the Bills brass do? Do they cut him? Do they restructure his contract? Or do they pay it and go forward as is? My opinion is they will try to restructure his contract. This is the only way to really save on the cap. If he won't restructure, which would be foolish of him, then they cut him. Either way they will not pay that roster bonus.

Fitz has to restructure. There is no other viable way he's worth keeping around. also cutting Kelsay and Mcgee will save us 10.5million. those things all need to happen for us to have a bit of FA money, sign our own ( Byrd and Levitre), and be able to sign the rookie class.

Edited by LVBillsBackr

The logic?

In my opinion Tooth you are missing the boat. This is not really a money decision. This is a talent decision. I seriously think the days of the "old Bills" are over. No more Chan Gailey to misevaluate every player on this roster. Marrone has no allegiances to Fitz whatsoever. And make no mistake this is not Buddy Nix's team anymore. This is Russ Brandon and Doug Marrone's team. Marrone will have the FINAL decision on all personnel moves. If he thinks Fitz is garbage, which I think most of us think he is. He will be GONE. What benefit is there to keep a QB that is a perennial loser? I would just assume go into camp with TJack, Matt Moore and a rookie. Or Alex Smith, and two rookies.. Or T Jack and two rookies, or Matt Moore and two rookies. Haven't the past three years of Fitz shown everyone including you Dr Tooth that the guy is just not good enuf to play QB in the NFL? He has NO UPSIDE!! Don't you all want this team to get better? So start changing your thinking. Marrone is not the same clowns who have run this team for years. He understands what it takes to win in the NFL. He coached on one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL (Saints) Give the "bring back Fitz BS" a rest.

The logic?

I think you're obviously right on. The contract, as it is, virtually prohibits them from cutting him. It also virtually prohibits them from going after a guy like San Fran's Alex Smith. He would demand near 10 million a year, I'm guessing, if not a little more, and that, combined with Fitz's current pay (regardless of being here or gettin cut) would put Buffalo on the hook for near 20 million towards a QB that would be pretty unanimously NOT elite.

Compare that to keeping Fitz and drafting a QB - getting talent with a higher ceiling than Smith, and paying a combined 12 or so million a year for a QB - and that's if they get a 1st rounder - and that secures a very good backup/mentor type for the first, difficult year.

To me there really isn't a choice - unless Fitz restructures, lowering his cap hit, and even then - at a reduced price, with his particulars (intelligence, locker room friendliness) he'd be a great backup/stop-gap QB - but more near the 5 million a year rate for now.

His only value to the team is if he restructures and cuts his cap number by more then half. As a player he is rather useless

Paying him ten million is different then a cap number of ten. Either way the situation sucks

Yeah ole Buddy really screwed the pooch with that Fitz contract.

No he didn't. In the grand scheme of QB contracts, Fitz received average QB money. Just turned out Fitz ain't

worth average QB money. For a while he looked like he was. No shame in giving him the contract he got. If

he had gotten top 12 money then you could say he screwed the pooch.

The logic?

Its real cash out the door and the cap savings extends beyond 2013. Its bogus to keep saying we're economically indifferent to cutting or keeping

In my opinion Tooth you are missing the boat. This is not really a money decision. This is a talent decision. I seriously think the days of the "old Bills" are over. No more Chan Gailey to misevaluate every player on this roster. Marrone has no allegiances to Fitz whatsoever. And make no mistake this is not Buddy Nix's team anymore. This is Russ Brandon and Doug Marrone's team. Marrone will have the FINAL decision on all personnel moves. If he thinks Fitz is garbage, which I think most of us think he is. He will be GONE. What benefit is there to keep a QB that is a perennial loser? I would just assume go into camp with TJack, Matt Moore and a rookie. Or Alex Smith, and two rookies.. Or T Jack and two rookies, or Matt Moore and two rookies. Haven't the past three years of Fitz shown everyone including you Dr Tooth that the guy is just not good enuf to play QB in the NFL? He has NO UPSIDE!! Don't you all want this team to get better? So start changing your thinking. Marrone is not the same clowns who have run this team for years. He understands what it takes to win in the NFL. He coached on one of the best offenses in the history of the NFL (Saints) Give the "bring back Fitz BS" a rest.

Well said. Time to move on. No upside. Consistant loser. Consistant failure in the clutch. I'd rather have tjack as our QB next year and that's scary.

No he didn't. In the grand scheme of QB contracts, Fitz received average QB money. Just turned out Fitz ain't

worth average QB money. For a while he looked like he was. No shame in giving him the contract he got. If

he had gotten top 12 money then you could say he screwed the pooch.

"Just turned out Fritz ain't worth average QB money".....that says it all. Yes, buddy screwed the pooch.no we have a QB that's going to cost 10mill vs the cap regardless of if he's cut or not. It's obvious that we need to replace him. Yet his contract may keep us from replacing him this year. It was a MAJOR blunder on nixs part giving him that money after 5 games, when he's done nothing but lose his entire career.

I think Fitz will restructure, its pretty clear he knows that this would be his best chance to play in the NFL as a starter. Knowing the roster getting a chance to compete for the starting job, that's more then he would have going into a different situation.

This^

There is no benefit to letting him go now. None, zero zip. It just creates another hole. Not a good idea to go into the draft needing to draft a QB in order to have, well anyone capable of playing QB in August

The benefit as I see it is not sitting through another season of 4th quarter INTs, zero passing game beyond 10 yards and an incessant amount of insane arguments on this board with people you'd swear were related to Fitz somehow, some way.

This x a lot.

Has anyone seen the last issue of SI? (before swimsuit). Two page picture of Fitz getting sacked leading article titled "You Got It Or You Don't" (conclusion on Fitz, he don't). This could have been JP, Trent Edwards, Rob Johnson....... Another in a long line of embarassments at QB. Put this mistake behind us please! Anyone can lose us 13 games.

The benefit as I see it is not sitting through another season of 4th quarter INTs, zero passing game beyond 10 yards and an incessant amount of insane arguments on this board with people you'd swear were related to Fitz somehow, some way.

A-freaking-men!!! :thumbsup:

I wish the OP could add a simple Poll on this thread...

1) Keep Fitz no-restructure

2) Keep Fitz with restructure

3) Cut Fitz

I'm just interested in the overall sentiment because I'm too lazy to read every Fitz-related post at this point... :P

3) Cut Fitz

I'm just interested in the overall sentiment because I'm too lazy to read every Fitz-related post at this point... :P

As others have pointed out, a restructure is also distinct from a simple pay cut so Keep Fitz with pay cut would also be a choice.

3) Cut Fitz

1) keep Fritz pay cut

2) keep Fritz restructure

3) cut fitz

If anyone votes that we should keep fitz at his current salary, they are either A) Fritz himself B) related to Fritz C) a troll.

1) keep Fritz pay cut

2) keep Fritz restructure

3) cut fitz

If anyone votes that we should keep fitz at his current salary, they are either A) Fritz himself B) related to Fritz C) a troll.

I'd argue that for 1) or 2). The attachment to him on this board is so strong and unwarranted I honestly suspect at least some of it is coming from family, friends, or his agent.

A lot of ya are still missing the point. I get that Fitz sucks and, for the Bills, change is necessary at QB. But, if Fitz were cut it's basically cap neutral and the Bills would still have to pay at least $7m for a starting QB (and potentially a draft pick). There is no one out there that is a significant upgrade over Fitz unless the Bills chase Flacco in FA... and that will bury them cap wise for a few years). And, please, Alex Smith aint an upgrade and neither is Flynn.

Biting the bullet on Fitz for one more season. The real problem with this team is on defense anyway... and not just a little problem. They haven't been ranked higher than #23 in years... that's pathetic and that causes problems for any offense... especially one that has been playing with a QB who has limitiations, only one competent wr, a barely adequate TE, and an offensive line that seemingly can't play a full season without losing three starters for a significant # of games. Considering the circumstances this year, the offense is the only reason the Bills won 6 games. Had they played down to the level of the defense, we'd easlly be looking at the #1 pick right now.

A lot of ya are still missing the point. I get that Fitz sucks and, for the Bills, change is necessary at QB. But, if Fitz were cut it's basically cap neutral and the Bills would still have to pay at least $7m for a starting QB (and potentially a draft pick). There is no one out there that is a significant upgrade over Fitz unless the Bills chase Flacco in FA... and that will bury them cap wise for a few years). And, please, Alex Smith aint an upgrade and neither is Flynn.

Biting the bullet on Fitz for one more season. The real problem with this team is on defense anyway... and not just a little problem. They haven't been ranked higher than #23 in years... that's pathetic and that causes problems for any offense... especially one that has been playing with a QB who has limitiations, only one competent wr, a barely adequate TE, and an offensive line that seemingly can't play a full season without losing three starters for a significant # of games. Considering the circumstances this year, the offense is the only reason the Bills won 6 games. Had they played down to the level of the defense, we'd easlly be looking at the #1 pick right now.

The "real" problem. Lol. The "real" problem is that we haven't had a good QB since Jim Kelly. Yes, our D sucks. Fritz sucks too. QB is the most important position and the guy we have playing it, sucks. Don't kid yourself.

I agree

I want him gone last year. Good guy, tough but cant make your team win. He had 3 yrs.

If you cut some more of these guys who cant win and bring in some guys who can maybe, just maybe we might be on to something.