Bills contact Fitz to Restructure

justnzane

That's right, I'm going to defend Fitz...

Now, I'm all onboard with trying to find that QB of the future, a franchise guy (even if it means drafting two QBs this year, whatever it takes)...

And I'm fine with those saying Fitz would be a great backup but they don't want him starting (that's reasonable).

But to those who are saying that he is absolutely horrible, shouldn't even be a backup (3rd stringer at best), etc.

Well, I just have to assume you are not the "so-called" realists on the board.

So, what is reality? Yes, I'm going to bring those damn stats into the discussion...

In 2012 Fitz ranked:

18th in yards with 3,400

16th in completions with 306

18th in completion % with 60.6 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

13th in TDs with 24

8th in Ints with 16

In 2011 Fitz ranked:

11th in yards with 3,832

6th in completions with 353

10th in comp. % at 62 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

10th in TDs with 24

1st in Ints with 23

What do the stats seem to say? Fitz is an average starting QB in this league. Of course, we all want

better than average, but to say he's not even good enough to be a backup is just ridiculous.

The two things that jump out is that his stats regressed in 2012 and that he has thrown too many INTs

over the past two years. But, with the defenses we have had, we were always playing from behind and

Fitz had to force it more, which leads to picks. That doesn't excuse him from throwing that many picks,

but it does factor in.

By the way, Fitz's annual salary in 2012 ranked 18th among starting QBs. About where his stats rank him.

So, if the FO got him to restructure, I would be more than happy to keep Fitz as backup and even let him compete

for the starting job. What if we whiff on drafting a QB. Then what? And what FA could we bring in that would be a significant

upgrade to Fitz? You could make a case for Alex Smith maybe (although I'm dubious of that) but after him, who? Fitz is a team guy,

not a prima donna, so I don't think there would be any disruption in the locker room if he doesn't start. I would trust him coming into

a game if the new starter went down. And not only is he smart, but he's been in the NFL 8 years and has started 74

games. How would that experience not be a help to a young QB learning the ropes?

How any wins has your average QB averaged as a Bill? Just curious because the Fitz backers who were non existent here for the last half of the season are seeming to feel quite comfortable coming out of the woodwork now. #noplayoffsthiscentury'lldothattoyou

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is good news. Fitz either agrees to a reduced contract and competes for the starting job or they show him the door. I would like to see what he can do in the new system, though I agree he's not the answer long term. Right now, as in today, he's the best option Buffalo has. Draft a QB, sign one from FA, and let them battle it out. If Fitz ends up winning the job, I'll support him....until we find a better option.

How any wins has your average QB averaged as a Bill? Just curious because the Fitz backers who were non existent here for the last half of the season are seeming to feel quite comfortable coming out of the woodwork now. #noplayoffsthiscentury'lldothattoyou

I'm not saying Fitz should continue starting. I'd love an upgrade just like everyone else.

Just pointing out that he's not as bad as some are making him out to be. Average stats as a starter

is a big difference from 3rd stringer. And he makes for a good insurance policy.

I have definitely been a Fitz supporter, but I was also supportive of drafting a QB last year. If we had,

we wouldn't be in this place now, we'd already have a young guy ready to take the reins this year.

For that matter, I wanted to draft Kaepernick the year before. But we didn't, so I supported Fitz and

really thought he could get it done. But he didn't. I don't think it's all his fault, there was coaching,

the horrible defense, injuries, etc. But he wasn't able to put the team on his back like a Franchise guy

can and that's what we all want. So, the team needs to be proactive in finding that guy, but Fitz isn't

even the worst starter in the league let alone a third stringer (as one person said).

Think of it this way, he's shown he can only win about 5 or 6 games as a starter, so how many is he going to come in and win you as a backup?

He wins roughly 1/3 games he starts. So if he's your backup and he comes in and starts 6 games you can expect to go 2-4.

Just about any journeyman QB can get you wins 33% of the time.

All I ask is that you give Ryan an outstanding O-Line, then we can judge Ryan on his abilities ! I believe the 49ers and Ravens had outstanding O-Lines ! That's how you judge if your QB is worth keeping .I'm not big on our O-Line !I love Wood and Glenn ! Other than those 2 ,I think we need someone better !Levitre is good not great !Keeping Ryan doesn't bother me at all ,I even payed for my 2013 season tickets yesterday !

What are you drinking? We have a great line with only the RT needing an upgrade. Fitz has 8 yrs to figure it out and he never will for the simple fact he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy to play the position.

the Bills have what 19-20 mill in cap room? They had to ask Fitz to redo his contract. It was smart of them to do so.

He plays like a backup so pay him like one. I think Fitz is smart enough to at least consider it. He has to know they are looking to replace him. Being a backup in the NFL is not a bad job.

I don't like the fact the Bills put themselfs in this situation but it is what it is.

Fitz had been the starter for three years. It's very clear where his ceiling lies. With a half dozen solid spot starter back ups on the market why not bring in somebody else. They sAy the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Let's see how Moore ,Campbell,tjax or smith can do. We have already witnessed the very best if fitz.

Ur hatred is foolish. Have you bothered to look at backup QB's around the league? I think fitz has a lot to offer

I like Fitz a lot, but I think there is some truth to what Joe says. If you are going to start over, start over. I think everyone likes Fitz, personally, but if you watched the games this year, you can't help but have serious concerns about how good he is. And, I make this point all the time, he would be a terrifice backup QB option, but maybe not for the Bills. We are all basing our postive feelings for the guy after observing him as a "nobody" who came off the bench and usurped our starting QB (Edwards), when we didn't have any other options. He performed decently at times, but lets' face it, the longer he played, the less effective he was. And, if we take him at his word, he still feels like he is an NFL caliber starting QB. We really don't know how good of a backup QB he would be, in Buffalo, after being asked to take a pay-cut, and losing his job.

My feeling also, when the rest of the team worked so did Fitz.

You are overlooking a lot of poor performances by Fitzpatrick. He is sub-par in accuaracy, which, IMO, affects the whole offense.

Last time I checked, you like the Bills too. Fitz is on the Bills, therefore by association he's YOUR average QB too. Accept it or have a mental breakdown. The choice is yours.

That's right, I'm going to defend Fitz...

Now, I'm all onboard with trying to find that QB of the future, a franchise guy (even if it means drafting two QBs this year, whatever it takes)...

And I'm fine with those saying Fitz would be a great backup but they don't want him starting (that's reasonable).

But to those who are saying that he is absolutely horrible, shouldn't even be a backup (3rd stringer at best), etc.

Well, I just have to assume you are not the "so-called" realists on the board.

So, what is reality? Yes, I'm going to bring those damn stats into the discussion...

In 2012 Fitz ranked:

18th in yards with 3,400

16th in completions with 306

18th in completion % with 60.6 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

13th in TDs with 24

8th in Ints with 16

In 2011 Fitz ranked:

11th in yards with 3,832

6th in completions with 353

10th in comp. % at 62 (QBs with at least 100 Atts, i.e. starting QBs)

10th in TDs with 24

1st in Ints with 23

What do the stats seem to say? Fitz is an average starting QB in this league. Of course, we all want

better than average, but to say he's not even good enough to be a backup is just ridiculous.

The two things that jump out is that his stats regressed in 2012 and that he has thrown too many INTs

over the past two years. But, with the defenses we have had, we were always playing from behind and

Fitz had to force it more, which leads to picks. That doesn't excuse him from throwing that many picks,

but it does factor in.

By the way, Fitz's annual salary in 2012 ranked 18th among starting QBs. About where his stats rank him.

So, if the FO got him to restructure, I would be more than happy to keep Fitz as backup and even let him compete

for the starting job. What if we whiff on drafting a QB. Then what? And what FA could we bring in that would be a significant

upgrade to Fitz? You could make a case for Alex Smith maybe (although I'm dubious of that) but after him, who? Fitz is a team guy,

not a prima donna, so I don't think there would be any disruption in the locker room if he doesn't start. I would trust him coming into

a game if the new starter went down. And not only is he smart, but he's been in the NFL 8 years and has started 74

games. How would that experience not be a help to a young QB learning the ropes?

Well said.

http://queencityspor...trick-contract/

I don't know how reliable this source is, but it looks like we will have Fritzy for a couple more years.

EDIT: somebody reputable is chiming in.

Thanks John

Aren't us long time Bills fans suffering enough? There can't be any worse news imaginable then keeping FItz around. I am not sure about other Bills fans, but I am in dire need of a winning team and it isn't going to happen with Noodle Arm around. People can throw out stats, and stats don't mean crap. Just watch him play. If the game is on the line, you can bet your paycheck he will choke. Edited by BuffBill

I like Fitz a lot, but I think there is some truth to what Joe says. If you are going to start over, start over. I think everyone likes Fitz, personally, but if you watched the games this year, you can't help but have serious concerns about how good he is. And, I make this point all the time, he would be a terrifice backup QB option, but maybe not for the Bills. We are all basing our postive feelings for the guy after observing him as a "nobody" who came off the bench and usurped our starting QB (Edwards), when we didn't have any other options. He performed decently at times, but lets' face it, the longer he played, the less effective he was. And, if we take him at his word, he still feels like he is an NFL caliber starting QB. We really don't know how good of a backup QB he would be, in Buffalo, after being asked to take a pay-cut, and losing his job.

You are overlooking a lot of poor performances by Fitzpatrick. He is sub-par in accuaracy, which, IMO, affects the whole offense.

His career completion % is higher than Alex Smith's. What really affected the offense in about 75% of the games (IMO) this season and last, is a defense that is ranked about last in every critical category.

His career completion % is higher than Alex Smith's. What really affected the offense in about 75% of the games (IMO) this season and last, is a defense that is ranked about last in every critical category.

Fitz would have looked a lot like Smith if he played on SF with their dominant defense. Smith is a slightly better version of Fitz. But I want a young guy we draft to start. Levi Brown praised Fitz for the way he helped him learn the playbook. Fitz could be Frank Reich 2.0 to Geno or Barkley and would we love the guy.

Fitz would have looked a lot like Smith if he played on SF with their dominant defense.

For real? Does defense make a QB more accurate? SF's defense was ranked top-5 in 2009, when Smith put in a very "Fitz" year.

These past two years he was more accurate likely in part due to Harbaugh's coaching and his offensive system.

If you want to argue against Smith, argue that Fitz would excel with Harbaugh (though I don't see it) and that without Harbaugh, Smith is nothing (I think a guy doesn't necessarily lose what he's learned from a good situation).

For real? Does defense make a QB more accurate? SF's defense was ranked top-5 in 2009, when Smith put in a very "Fitz" year.

These past two years he was more accurate likely in part due to Harbaugh's coaching and his offensive system.

If you want to argue against Smith, argue that Fitz would excel with Harbaugh (though I don't see it) and that without Harbaugh, Smith is nothing (I think a guy doesn't necessarily lose what he's learned from a good situation).

Though Alex had an INSANE 70% comp percentage this year before his injury, when they went to the NFC championship game in 2011, Alex had a completion % of 61.3%. Fitz had a completion% of 62% in 2011. In 2011, Alex was nothing more than a game manager leading the niners into the playoffs.

I don't think it's a matter of Alex Smith learning anything with Harbaugh. It's a matter of Harbaugh making the offense work for Alex Smith. Of course, if Alex Smith goes to another team and continues his progress, than i'm wrong!..lol

Edited by bobobonators

Fitz would have looked a lot like Smith if he played on SF with their dominant defense. Smith is a slightly better version of Fitz. But I want a young guy we draft to start. Levi Brown praised Fitz for the way he helped him learn the playbook. Fitz could be Frank Reich 2.0 to Geno or Barkley and would we love the guy.

I have never seen a defense that can make a quarterback's arm stronger, more accurate or have more touch? We need a defense like that! WOW?

Though Alex had an INSANE 70% comp percentage this year before his injury, when they went to the NFC championship game in 2011, Alex had a completion % of 61.3%. Fitz had a completion% of 62% in 2011. In 2011, Alex was nothing more than a game manager leading the niners into the playoffs.

Well, with the caveat that he ARRIVED in that playoff game against the Saints. So couldn't one argue he is getting better and better and is on the rise, and is hence a hotter commodity than Fitz? We have really seen that Alex Smith at least can reach a ceiling that is higher than anything Fitz has accomplished. And despite only a year or so of evidence, I just don't see how they are remotely equal right now.

Well, with the caveat that he ARRIVED in that playoff game against the Saints. So couldn't one argue he is getting better and better and is on the rise, and is hence a hotter commodity than Fitz? We have really seen that Alex Smith at least can reach a ceiling that is higher than anything Fitz has accomplished. And despite only a year or so of evidence, I just don't see how they are remotely equal right now.

I think you're probably right that Smith > Fitz. I just don't think it's clear cut is all. Smith still has a lot to prove IMO..you can't just forget the previous 6 years of his career before Harbaugh got there.

I'll just wait until he does it elsewhere without Harbaugh before i say that Smith is clearly better than Fitz. Because looking at Smith pre-Harbaugh, he was a disaster.

Like most here, I don't want to see Fitz suit up as our starting QB ever again.

But I don't want to see him cut either - at least not yet.

I find the idea of having ZERO QBs on the roster frightening. Any QB we draft may turn out to be worse than Fitz and there aren't any impressive FA QBs available. I mean, this is the friggin' NFL - you can't go into the draft without a single QB under contract.

Even if we do draft a good QB, he would benefit from a smart mentor.

It seems to me, under the circumstances, restructuring Fitz (if true) would be the best option. Hopefully they restructure would allow us to cut him later without a huge cap hit.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I think you're probably right that Smith > Fitz. I just don't think it's clear cut is all. Smith still has a lot to prove IMO..you can't just forget the previous 6 years of his career before Harbaugh got there.

I'll just wait until he does it elsewhere without Harbaugh before i say that Smith is clearly better than Fitz. Because looking at Smith pre-Harbaugh, he was a disaster.

I'll buy that. I'll also admit that I am intrigued by Smith in part because he proves my thesis that there is a class of players that isn't destined to succeed or fail, but whose success is entirely dependent on the right fit with coach and system. We use the term "system QB" derisively, or that Harbaugh is steroids for QBs and the like, but some players are really transformed by that connection with a system and coach that works for them (paired with the player's work ethic). Kurt Warner comes to mind. It seems like a lot of these players also fail when partnered with defense-first coaches with a weak OC.

Does anyone really think it is a good idea to bring back a guy you know is not ever going to be great?

You know what you have in Fitz. Excuses for why he is what he is are all over this board. But after this much time, why should anyone believe he is more than what we have seen for 2+ seasons?

I do not like the idea of bringing him back for a few reasons. Mostly because it could upset the locker room. If you do draft a rookie, and he starts to show promise, but has a bad game or two, the 'put in FITZ' crowd will be very hard to ignore.

The Bills need to make a decision to bring him back or cut him. But this something in the middle has disaster written all over it.

Like most here, I don't want to see Fitz suit up as our starting QB ever again.

But I don't want to see him cut either - at least not yet.

I find the idea of having ZERO QBs on the roster frightening. Any QB we draft may turn out to be worse than Fitz and there aren't any impressive FA QBs available. I mean, this is the friggin' NFL - you can't go into the draft without a single QB under contract.

Even if we do draft a good QB, he would benefit from a smart mentor.

It seems to me, under the circumstances, restructuring Fitz (if true) would be the best option. Hopefully the restructure would allow us to cut him later without a huge cap hit.

Totally agree. If they restructure Fitz, I think many sensible Bills fans can surely see the logic in the move. And I interpret it as essentially Marrone's move (by way of Buddy) after reviewing the tape and meeting the guy.

I am no apologist for, or advocate of Fitz as a starting NFL QB after last year's performance. But I have long thought of him as the perfect backup QB, a well-respected character guy who will actually help groom the new guy, put more of a Frank Reich-type effort into the role, and be ready if need be.

Fitz could definitely help shorten a new QBs learning curve, and based on what we know, we can't possibly count on Thigpen or Jackson to do the same. Even Trentative has a backup job in the league, and he mentioned that he tried to be exactly that for Nick Foles, mostly because he likes NFL game checks, but also because he did not have that type of guy to show him the ropes when he was in Buffalo.

Not every backup QB gives a Frank Reich-type effort in making the guy in front of him successful. Remember Flutie/Johnson? It's also, I think, part of why Sexy Rexy and the Jets went with McElroy last year in lieu of Tebow (who looked like he barely payed attention to the offense during games).

Who knows, with Fitz's brainpower and a younger, stronger arm, it could be the recipe for Nathaniel Hackett to develop, in a Dr. Frankenstein sort of way, a QB prototype/wunderkind to finally replace #12 for us!!!

I think Fitz is a very good backup to have, and would be quiet about the demotion. My problem is that if a rookie comes in and has a bad game you start seeing tweets from SJ, etc. about putting Fitz back in. I'd completely cut ties with the past problems at QB position and flood it with FA's and draft picks. Perhaps get him to restructure, and then trade him.

For those who hate actual in-depth statistical analysis on QB's, and how poorly Fitz stacks up...Please don't hit the following link...You WILL be disappointed...Again...http://www.footballs...=509345&start=0

Joe Flacco

17 Passes Dropped

57 Overthrown (11.1%), 1 INT

5 Underthrown (1%)

34 Thrown Wide (6.6%)

96 "Bad Throws" (18.7%), 1 INT

9 Passes Batted At Line (1.8%)

Adjusted QBR: 101.3

Ryan Fitzpatrick

27 Passes Dropped

41 Overthrown (8.2%) 1 INT

17 Underthrown (3.4%), 2 INTs

28 Thrown Wide (5.6%)

86 "Bad Throws" (17.3%), 3 INTs

13 Passes Batted At Line (2.6%)

Adjusted QBR: 99.8

Eli Manning

28 Passes Dropped

35 Overthrown (6.7%) 1 INT

14 Underthrown (2.7%), 1 INT

26 Thrown Wide (5.0%), 1 INT

75 "Bad Throws" (14.4%), 3 INTs

10 Passes Batted At Line (1.9%)

Adjusted QBR: 101.1

Andrew Luck

33 Passes Dropped

53 Overthrown (8.8%), 2 INTs

17 Underthrown (2.8%), 3 INTs

38 Thrown Wide (6.3%), 3 INT

108 "Bad Throws" (17.9%), 8 INTs

13 Passes Batted At Line (2.2%)

Adjusted QBR: 91.6

Looks pretty good to me, using these stats.

Matt Flynn isn't available and there is no Russell Wilson in the draft. Perhaps they can bring in Orton or Seneca Wallace? T Jackson is available....Or perhaps you were thinking of pairing Matt Moore with Nassib?

Not many thought there was a Russell Wilson in last years draft either.

Smart move, I think they are going to get some cap room (5-7 million) and have some competition at QB either a draft choice or vet. I like Fitz I think that he was hung out to dry by Chan's schemes and a horrendous defense. Blame Fitz for some of the loses but we lost multiple close games (Titans and 2nd Pats* game come to mind) when the offense put up over 30 points. Had the defense taken the step up we thought it would I think we would have seen a much better record.

Yeah Fitz stunk at times and we need another QB for the future but I think Fitz could be a good mentor to a young guy or be better than a trade or free agent type (Or at least provide competition)

Does anyone really think it is a good idea to bring back a guy you know is not ever going to be great?

Yes, as long as you acknowledge he is not ever going to be great and don't let his presence deter you from trying to get better.

You know what you have in Fitz. Excuses for why he is what he is are all over this board. But after this much time, why should anyone believe he is more than what we have seen for 2+ seasons?

I do not like the idea of bringing him back for a few reasons. Mostly because it could upset the locker room. If you do draft a rookie, and he starts to show promise, but has a bad game or two, the 'put in FITZ' crowd will be very hard to ignore.

The Bills need to make a decision to bring him back or cut him. But this something in the middle has disaster written all over it.

This is probably the best argument for getting rid of Fitz outright, but honestly I think you're too scarred by past QB fiascoes. If the team brings in a rookie, yes, they need to stick with him through a bad patch, but I don't want to see a rookie handed the job outright. Make him beat out Fitzpatrick. Anoint someone the starter just because you drafted him high, and you're back to the Losman days.

Joe Flacco

17 Passes Dropped

5 Underthrown (1%)

34 Thrown Wide (6.6%)

Ryan Fitzpatrick

27 Passes Dropped

28 Thrown Wide (5.6%)

Eli Manning

28 Passes Dropped

Andrew Luck

33 Passes Dropped

Gotta love stats. They make terrible QBs look better than hall of fame QBs, future and present. And then some people watch the games and base their analysis on what they see when they watch them play.

He was not in the Top 17 of any of the 5 extended categories (bad throw %, over-throw, under-throw, thrown-wide, batted at the line)...Not in the top 17!!! Are you freaking kidding me? Looks pretty good? Compared to my Nephew's Pee Wee QB? Good grief... :doh:

I'm not defending Fitz, but you didn't read the article closely enough. Only those QBs with an adjusted QBR of 100 or greater qualified to be considered for those lists. Fitz came in just under 100 at 99.8, so that's why he wasn't listed in any of the rankings.

Joe Flacco

17 Passes Dropped

5 Underthrown (1%)

34 Thrown Wide (6.6%)

Ryan Fitzpatrick

27 Passes Dropped

28 Thrown Wide (5.6%)

Eli Manning

28 Passes Dropped

Andrew Luck

33 Passes Dropped

I'm not defending Fitz, but you didn't read the article closely enough. Only those QBs with an adjusted QBR of 100 or greater qualified to be considered for those lists. Fitz came in just under 100 at 99.8, so that's why he wasn't listed in any of the rankings.

Ahhh...OK my bad...

Still I did notice his adjusted QB Rating was lower than most...But anyway... B-)

The vast majority of players on the Bills are never going to be "great." Do you only want to keep Pro Bowlers and let everyone else go? The vast majority of players on the Bills are associated with a "losing Bills culture." Should we release all of them too?

Fitz is a very solid backup NFL QB and can be an effective game manager as a starting QB with a better head coach, another starting WR, and a supporting defense that is not regularly among the worst in franchise history. He's a well-liked guy in the locker room, and he would be a great tutor for the next true "franchise" QB.

The Fitz haters are getting out of control with their irrationality at this point in time. Stop taking 13 years of misery out on individual players.

Fitz is a very solid backup NFL QB and can be an effective game manager as a starting QB with a better head coach, another starting WR, and a supporting defense that is not regularly among the worst in franchise history.

Disagree. Fitz is a very solid back up? Well if the bills play KC every week maybe. The dude beat one winning team in years as a starter. His record is very substandard by any measure.

Gailey was fired for a good reason, but to assume a better head coach could do better, is wrong. Fritz was a career mediocre backup and was signed by DJ to continue that role. Gailey actually got the most out of a mediocre QB who may have been out of the league if not for the bumbling Bills, including their clueless 72 year old GM.The love for a below mediocre, noodle arm here sometimes borders crazy. Lets cut the players who just cannot play at a successful NFL level and move on. Everyone will be better off for it. I'd rather watch a new QB grab our 5 or 6 wins next season. Than ever go through the turnstiles unless comped, to see Fritz stink it up yet again. Does anyone think people will pay to see that clown for yet another year?

Edited by Best Player Available

Joe Flacco

17 Passes Dropped

5 Underthrown (1%)

34 Thrown Wide (6.6%)

Ryan Fitzpatrick

27 Passes Dropped

28 Thrown Wide (5.6%)

Eli Manning

28 Passes Dropped

Andrew Luck

33 Passes Dropped

I think the difference is that Fitz is consistently mediocre every game. He does not have the "great" games that Flacco, Manning and Luck have. He also does not have the terrible games either it seems, he is consistently medicore.

Disagree. Fitz is a very solid back up? Well if the bills play KC every week maybe. The dude beat one winning team in years as a starter. His record is very substandard by any measure.

Gailey was fired for a good reason, but to assume a better head coach could do better, is wrong. Fritz was a career mediocre backup and was signed by DJ to continue that role. Gailey actually got the most out of a mediocre QB who may have been out of the league if not for the bumbling Bills, including their clueless 72 year old GM.The love for a below mediocre, noodle arm here sometimes borders crazy. Lets cut the players who just cannot play at a successful NFL level and move on. Everyone will be better off for it. I'd rather watch a new QB grab our 5 or 6 wins next season. Than ever go through the turnstiles unless comped, to see Fritz stink it up yet again. Does anyone think people will pay to see that clown for yet another year?

I will stand by my assertion that Fitz has value as an above average backup NFL QB.

If he could beat playoff-caliber teams in spite of a bumbling head coach, no #2 WR, and one of the worst defenses in franchise history, then he wouldn't be a back-up NFL QB in the first place...he'd be a top-10 NFL QB...an assertion that I have never made.

Your expectations for a back-up NFL QB are unreasonable. Wise up, son.