McKelvin May Have A Thin Superior Temporal Sulcus

It's been frustrating to watch McKelvin cover receivers well, and then fail at the "Moment of Truth" as he watches the nearby receiver catch a ball right next to him. Turns out, there may be a scientific explanation for this - - if you're curious about it, read this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/athletes-minds-excel-motion-tracking-145606624.html

The article explains that professional athletes excel at 3-D motion tracking (in comparison to other population groups). They also have a thicker part of the brain called the "superior temporal sulcus."

While it is unclear if innate ability or experience explains the differences among people, all groups can improve their 3-D motion tracking with visual training.

Seems to me like:

1. the Bills should see if McKelvin could benefit from such visual training exercises; and

2. the Bills should test DBs and receivers for this ability before drafting them.

WOW & i thought it was just another bad move by our scouting department !!

Maybe his Temporal Sulcus isn't as superior as we thought A ? Poor guy ... :cry:

I was thinking that b/c he didn't do as well at DB what might happen if they did with him what they did with G. Wilson & change him to a WR ?

We need a burner on the outside but if his Temporal Sulcus isn't that superior then scratch that idea :thumbdown: !!

It's been frustrating to watch McKelvin cover receivers well, and then fail at the "Moment of Truth" as he watches the nearby receiver catch a ball right next to him. Turns out, there may be a scientific explanation for this - - if you're curious about it, read this link:

http://news.yahoo.co...-145606624.html

The article explains that professional athletes excel at 3-D motion tracking (in comparison to other population groups). They also have a thicker part of the brain called the "superior temporal sulcus."

While it is unclear if innate ability or experience explains the differences among people, all groups can improve their 3-D motion tracking with visual training.

Seems to me like:

1. the Bills should see if McKelvin could benefit from such visual training exercises; and

2. the Bills should test DBs and receivers for this ability before drafting them.

I think McKelvin could benefit more from a coach putting his foot in his a__ (hee haw hee haw).

Edited by thebambino

I think McKelvin could benefit more from a coach putting his foot in his a__ (hee haw hee haw).

Well, I don't know about kicking him in the a$$, but stimulating the posterior portion of his superior temporal sulcus might help:

http://www.psych-it.com.au/Psychlopedia/article.asp?id=416

The superior temporal sulcus is a long trench, called a sulcus, in the temporal lobe. In essence, this region is vital to social competence. To a significant extent, the anterior portion of this sulcus is primarily involved in the processing of speech. The posterior portion is more involved in an array of other tasks, including facial processing, motion processing, the integration of audio and vision information, as well as theory of mind--or deciphering the beliefs and perspectives of other people.

And I thought it would just be a case of a decent secondary coach telling him: "when you see the receivers pupils widen as their brain tells the vision center to focus the eyes on the ball coming towards them, turn your head around toward the line of scrimmage and look for the ball that is flying through the air towards you and the receiver"!

McKelvin has elite talent. This guy is going to play another 5-8 years in the NFL. You can't coach speed, quickness, and change of direction. We know he can't turn and track balls very well. Can this be improved? Maybe? Can he be put in a better situation? Yes. I thought he was going to excel in the slot. He can jam recievers and then go with them usually on short crossing routes or out patterns. He struggles with fly patterns more than anything. In the slot he would have a safety over the top. Williams getting hurt forced him to the outside again. I hope he is resigned to a fair contract and the new staff convinces him to stay. They can say we made Revis a star and we can do the same for you.

Seems to me like:

Haha, love this post.

I'm thinking TJ Graham may suffer from the same condition.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The good news is that our new offensive coordinator has a degree in neurobiology, and here's a direct quote from him:

http://wgr550.com/Bi...NFL-OC/15360055

I think it's so critical to study everything," Hackett remarked. "Just like getting your Ph.D. in anything you're going to do, you have to keep studying.

So for all we know, he may already be working on thickening Graham's superior temporal sulcus.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

McKelvin has elite talent. This guy is going to play another 5-8 years in the NFL. You can't coach speed, quickness, and change of direction. We know he can't turn and track balls very well. Can this be improved? Maybe? Can he be put in a better situation? Yes. I thought he was going to excel in the slot. He can jam recievers and then go with them usually on short crossing routes or out patterns. He struggles with fly patterns more than anything. In the slot he would have a safety over the top. Williams getting hurt forced him to the outside again. I hope he is resigned to a fair contract and the new staff convinces him to stay. They can say we made Revis a star and we can do the same for you.

You stated, They can say we made Revis a star and we can do the same for you.

McKelvin is definitely a dumb jamoke, but even he wouldn't buy that bullsh-t. He may be stupid, but NOT that stupid!

Seems to me like:

Nah. McK's problems arise form an apparently thin cerebral cortex.

Anyway, the Bills only known pre-draft testing is having potential QBs stand next to a cardboard cut-out of a kid that says "you must be taller than me to play for the Buffalo Bills".

It's all in the scouting report.... Duh

Leodis McKelvin, CB and return-man extraordinare, from Troy. McKelvin posted the 7th best 40 time at the Combine with his 4.38. An All-American his senior year, McKelvin registered 60 tackles, forced three fumbles, had two INTs, and broke up nine passes. Scouts say he isn't the best ball-hawk in the draft, but his overall skills as a CB are legit. His wiry frame should allow him to put on 5-10 pounds without compromising his stand-out quickness and speed, something that will be necessary as he adjusts to making plays in the running game in the far more physical and demanding professional game. He has a notoriously under sized superior temporal sulcus but an adequatly sized corpus callosum.

McKelvin's true value however, rests in his abilities as a punt and kickoff returner. His 8 total returns (7 punts, 1 kickoff) ties an NCAA record, and his total return yards of 3,817 snapped Deltha O'Neal's previous best mark of 3,455 yards.

Leodis McKelvin, CB and return-man extraordinare, from Troy. McKelvin posted the 7th best 40 time at the Combine with his 4.38. An All-American his senior year, McKelvin registered 60 tackles, forced three fumbles, had two INTs, and broke up nine passes. Scouts say he isn't the best ball-hawk in the draft, but his overall skills as a CB are legit. His wiry frame should allow him to put on 5-10 pounds without compromising his stand-out quickness and speed, something that will be necessary as he adjusts to making plays in the running game in the far more physical and demanding professional game. He has a notoriously under sized superior temporal sulcus but an adequately sized corpus callosum.

To the bolded above, I remember scouts saying that this was the exact reason that Talib and Rodgers-Cromartie were better prospects. Also at the combine, McKelvin's Parietal Node measured small.

• 2 months later...

If we can just add Karl Deisseroth and/or Kwanghun Chung to the training staff, we will have the ability to make McKelvin's brain transparent:

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2013/april/clarity.html

The mound of convoluted grey matter and wiring that is the brain is a complex and inscrutable place. Neuroscientists have struggled to fully understand its circuitry in their quest to comprehend how the brain works, and why, sometimes, it doesn't.

Transforming human brains into transparent-but-stable specimens with accessible wiring and molecular detail may yield improved understanding of the structural underpinnings of brain function and disease.

Let's hire these guys so we can see just exactly how thin McKelvin's superior temporal sulcus really is, and trace the neuron pathways in his brain. Maybe then the Stanford guys can figure out why he ran that kickoff return out of the end zone against New England and fumbled the game away.

Kwanghun? Maybe his parents named him after the K-gun offense, and he'll work cheap. What have we got to lose?

Seems to me like:

This is actually good news to me. When I read the subject line I was like "Damn, I think is the thing that made Derrick Burroughs retire"

Leodis McKelvin, CB and return-man extraordinare, from Troy. McKelvin posted the 7th best 40 time at the Combine with his 4.38. An All-American his senior year, McKelvin registered 60 tackles, forced three fumbles, had two INTs, and broke up nine passes. Scouts say he isn't the best ball-hawk in the draft, but his overall skills as a CB are legit. His wiry frame should allow him to put on 5-10 pounds without compromising his stand-out quickness and speed, something that will be necessary as he adjusts to making plays in the running game in the far more physical and demanding professional game. He has a notoriously under sized superior temporal sulcus but an adequatly sized corpus callosum.

McKelvin's true value however, rests in his abilities as a punt and kickoff returner. His 8 total returns (7 punts, 1 kickoff) ties an NCAA record, and his total return yards of 3,817 snapped Deltha O'Neal's previous best mark of 3,455 yards.

On the positive side of some scouting reports, McKelvin should benefit from an above average corpora cavernosa.

Edited by Ramius

Fascinating. If I was a coach on a pro team I would definitely look into this to see if it had any validity. Testing and training results could be incredible and cost effective if it actually had any reasonable validity

Get the Analytics Department on this, STAT!

this is a very interesting topic. i haven't heard of this, but it really could benefit everyone on the bills not just the wr's and db's it would be interesting to see this integrated into testing players and perhaps even an additional set of conditioning.