Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People (Specifically Mike Schopp) ripped the Bills when they hired Jauron and Gailey because nobody else was interviewing them to be their coach. This guy was interviewed (or scheduled to do so) by at least Buffalo, Cleveland, Philly, and San Diego.

21 years of coaching experience: experienced coach check

7 years nfl experience: nfl contacts check

Turnaround of a woe be gone program check

Affinity for upstate ny: check

Not a retread/proven failure check

Ugh! This just screams Russ Brandon and marketing. "Hey we maybe able to increase our regionalization efforts with this hire."

Then there is the Ralph methodology: "Well I don't really know these other guys. I better pick the one I do know."

Seriously, wha the f@!k is it with losers! I hate this f$ cking team! I hate the pick. Same old Bills.

Edited by voodoo poonani

It may not be applicable to your life experience, most well-adjusted adults can get along well with somebody not the same age, not from a similar geographic region, and do not have the same employers listed on their resume'.

While it's doubtful Nix will be around in a few year's time, the Marrone hiring is by no means confirmation of it.

lol --- love it when the "6 pack" is put in his place.

For those interested in his Jets years as o-line coach under Herman Edwards (2001-2005), the jets made the playoffs three times in the first four years and won their opening round twice. From 2001-2004, they gave up 19, 31, 32, and 31 sacks each year (an average of 28), which is very good. As for rushing yards, the Jets were 4th in 2001, 22nd in 2002, 25th in 2003, and 3rd in 2004.

The stats from 2005 are terrible across the board, but I put almost no stock in them because of the QB situation -- the hapless Brooks Bollinger started over half the games because of a shoulder injury to Pennington early on and the stark decline in 42 year-old Vinnie T's ability to play at an NFL level.

PS - In his three years with the Saints, they finished 1st, 4th, and 1st in offense. They also gave up 23, 16, and 13 sacks (averaging 17 per season). The larger takeaway is that he coached for a pretty successful rush-heavy team (the Jets) and a dominant passing team (the Saints). So he's had experience with both.

This is the first Bills hire in a long time (Gregg Williams?) who was hired while his career was on an upward trajectory. By all accounts this is a rising star who was gonna get a HC job very soon. By contrast, Lovie and Wiz had worn out their welcomes, just as Gailey, Jauron and Mularkey had done before the Bills hired them. (People don't remember it, but Mularkey was constantly besieged in Pittsburgh for running a gimmicky offense; Jauron was hated in Chicago for embodying mediocrity). This was the right hire to energize the fanbase. Unfortunately, this hire (and this thread, in particular) is going to be a lightening rod for mouthbreathing idiot zombies (i.e., your typical sports radio caller) until Marrone actually starts to show progress.

Ugh! This just screams Russ Brandon and marketing. "Hey we maybe able to increase our regionalization efforts with this hire."

Then there is the Ralph methodology: "Well I don't really know these other guys. I better pick the one I do know."

Seriously, wha t the! !!!!

I agree.

wha t the! !!!!

Not a done deal yet. That's what Howie Simon said on GR this morning

I would think Russell is watching the reaction on " The Stadium Wall" before confirming the possible hire.

Who are the "league sources" that leak this information anyway? Now you have this news item that the Bills have a new coach - BUT not really?

So it could be they agreed in principal and now it is up to the details like money and control - which likely won't be much coming from the Bills and could blow this thing up.

You believe everything on the internet?...yes, it wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true, and where did you hear that? the internet.....Bon Jour!!! :lol:

No but I believe Adam Schefter when he says its a done deal and then NFL.com says the same thing. You guys are just waking up now. At 5:30 am the news was flying around and we didn't know what to believe but when these sources reported it then yes I believed it

As a down state guy that played and coached football in the PSAL. Doug is a good man, a true New Yorker. Played FB in NYC, Coached all over NY. Has NFL experience and not another retread. Im proud the a NYC kid like myself is coaching the team I love. Coaching wise he is well respected, He has climbed the ladder to the top. Hopefully the Bills will continue to add more talent so Doug and his new staff can build a winner.

Don't know how he will do with the Bills but he turned a horrific downtrodden Syracuse into a 2 time bowl winner in his brief time as coach. When Greg Robinson left, Syracuse was absolutely horrible, void of any talent, it was bad. Marrone made them respectable immediately. I think the guy will do ok with the Bills.