Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else get the feeling that Russ is in charge of the team at the moment?

If Nix gets fired, it'll be because Russ wanted it.

That certainly is the feeling although Brandon is the Bills CEO so in that regard he is Buddy's boss.

In a nutshell, the team has to figure out if/where Buddy fits with a new head coach. Do they know each other? Can they work together? If the long term doesn't look good is there a feasible exit strategy for Buddy?

The situation is naturally complicated by the personnel department and all the scouting that's already been done to this point.

It's a difficult situation but one several teams find themselves in at the moment.

Anyone else get the feeling that Russ is in charge of the team at the moment?

If Nix gets fired, it'll be because Russ wanted it.

True. Russ is in charge for Ralph.

Brandon is a big improvement over Ralph.

The record does not support this. Since Brandon has been around and in key postions the Bills are in their longest playoff drought in team history.

Any coincidence that the Bills franchise has declined since Russ Brandon became a major player?

That is a major oversimplification. Too many contributing factors to count.

On the business side, he's the best thing that ever happened to the franchise. And you might say you don't care about that, but you have to if you want the Bills to stay in town.

That is a major oversimplification. Too many contributing factors to count.

On the business side, he's the best thing that ever happened to the franchise. And you might say you don't care about that, but you have to if you want the Bills to stay in town.

First thing I'd do is fire Brandon and announce when you build a winning culture marketing will take care of itself, and that has NOT been happening!

Personally I don't see any dilema for OBD. Brandon is in tune as well as any fan is, so are others in the FO. Look at Nix's 3+ drafts. They don't look so good other than the obvious precious few players. He needs one safety at least. Several linebackers, a wide receiver, his depth is maybe average at best. Those depth players were drafted as eventual starters too. Some of them hopefully won't be in Buffalo next season.

The Merriman payout to ROI was bad. Cornell green? Really? On and on. Can he be ready and trusted for the task of hiring a complete coaching staff, plus get a true starting quarterback, and filling all those holes, plus the new ones. Cut bait and run, should be the thinking this week on Buddy Nix.

Any coincidence that the Bills franchise has declined since Russ Brandon became a major player?

Brandon's tenure began in '98 after he worked for the (World Series champion) Florida Marlins previously. I'm not a big fan of Mr. Smithers, but he's not the main issue at OBD.

The "coincidence" is the personnel department never maintained the level of production coming off the Butler era and the GM did not identify good HC's.

First thing I'd do is fire Brandon and announce when you build a winning culture marketing will take care of itself, and that has NOT been happening!

Yep. Brandon was involved in football decisions once, anybody remember that disaster? Brandon is part of the losing culture, and gets more credit than deserved.

Yep. Brandon was involved in football decisions once, anybody remember that disaster? Brandon is part of the losing culture, and gets more credit than deserved.

Yeah it's a disater no one cares to admit. His input from the business side is WAY OVERRATED. Get rid of him.

Reading Buddy's reaction to Chan's firing it seems obvious he is NOT in charge of football matters. Buddy made it sound like it was someone elses decision.

I'm not a fan of Brandon. How did he get to where he is? Does he have incriminating evidense on Mr WIlson?

He's a marketing guy full of gimmicks (ala T.O.) and smoke and mirrors. His MO is to dupe the fan base.

Dick Jauron? Chan Gailey? Really? Did any of you think these guys were going to being us to the big dance?

Let's see who they present us with .... this time.

Yeah it's a disater no one cares to admit. His input from the business side is WAY OVERRATED. Get rid of him.

Hey Joe. How're you liking that new lease?

Reading Buddy's reaction to Chan's firing it seems obvious he is NOT in charge of football matters. Buddy made it sound like it was someone elses decision.

Buddy's reaction to Chan's firing?

Where did you see that?

The usual suspects are always at the epicenter of the Bills personnel woes. If they chose another bogus GM/HC combination I am going to take a recess from contributing even one red cent to the NFL in any way shape or form for a while. It seems that when I wear these autographed Roddy Piper shades and look at Russ Brandon I see a money sucking leach.

Hey Joe. How're you liking that new lease?

Buddy's reaction to Chan's firing?

Where did you see that?

My bad! It was a quote from Buddy Nix mid Season ... Nix expressed his distaste for the Bills’ revolving door at the head-coach’s office at midseason.

“The age-old thing – and they’ve done it around here for years – is to start over about every three years,” Nix said. “What that does is make damn sure you don’t make it. ... You change every three years and you never quite get there. That’s my take.”

My bad! It was a quote from Buddy Nix mid Season ... Nix expressed his distaste for the Bills’ revolving door at the head-coach’s office at midseason.

“The age-old thing – and they’ve done it around here for years – is to start over about every three years,” Nix said. “What that does is make damn sure you don’t make it. ... You change every three years and you never quite get there. That’s my take.”

Well you sure as hell don't "quite get there" by starting 16-32...That's for sure... B-)

This is how ridiculous we've become. Why don't we fire the secretaries and janitors too. They are part of the "losing culture" too. Anything to satisfy our blood lust. Heads must roll. Any will do.

PTR

Are you suggesting that Russ Brandon has as much impact on winning and losing as the janitor? Come on man.

He's the CEO of the damn team. While he doesn't have the same degree of impact as a coach or GM, he certainly needs to be held accountable when the team loses. I think Smithers wants the best for the team but is he the best man for the job? With no playoffs since 1999 everything should be on the table.

Oh good. I thought I missed a public statement by Nix today.

So as far as we know he hasn't met with the media yet.

I believe that anyone who thinks that Russ Brandon ever had any say on football matters prior to the last few weeks is sorely mistaken. What,do you think, Marv Levy turned to Nix on draft day and asked his opinion on who to draft?

Do you think Buddy Nix asked him how he felt about Chan Gailey? These guys ran the football side and he ran the business.

Now with Ralph at 94, Russ has had enough of the losing and is asserting himself which is absolutely nescessary as Ralph has run the football end into the ground. We'll see how much control Ralph has given him if Nix is fired.

I believe that anyone who thinks that Russ Brandon ever had any say on football matters prior to the last few weeks is sorely mistaken. What,do you think, Marv Levy turned to Nix on draft day and asked his opinion on who to draft?

Do you think Buddy Nix asked him how he felt about Chan Gailey? These guys ran the football side and he ran the business.

Now with Ralph at 94, Russ has had enough of the losing and is asserting himself which is absolutely nescessary as Ralph has run the football end into the ground. We'll see how much control Ralph has given him if Nix is fired.

Really, what scares me, and has even before Brandon with Ralph too is "quick, make a decision to sell tickets THIS YEAR" and not "let's build a champion" but that could be said about any team.

If the decision today was based in "boy did you see those empty seats" instead of dissecting his play calls - then ill be disappointed even if I may agree with the end result.

We know what happened last time Russ Brandon tried to get in the football decision business. It was just as bad (or worse) that what we have now. Remember when he went "scouting"? Yeah, that was awesome, wasn't it?

I'm concerned again that we have a marketing guy making football decisions again, and we're going to spin our wheels again.