Chip Kelly HC! (possibly for the Browns)

13player

Totally agree. If I had to guess, I think he goes to Philly. According to a few people I trust who are pretty wired in, Kelly has an enormous ego, and maybe Buffalo isn't the right place to stake his claim. The ego part I very much believe and have heard it elsewhere. The not Buffalo part I am not so sure of. Cleveland isn't any better. Philly is a much bigger city and stage, but it also comes with other problems. All in all, I would say there isn't a clear cut better option for him, all three cities and franchises offer unique advantages and disadvantages. I still give us less than a 50-50 chance though.

Playing it up a little bit here, because I am not so sure I believe in what I am about to say, but its an entertaining thought to kick around:

If the man has such a huge ego, wouldn't Buffalo BE a good fit for him? His hubris would make him think he cannot possibly fail. Building off that, he would see a place with a fiercely loyal fan base that would treat him like a G.D. rock star if he were the coach to bring them back from a decade and a half of complete irrelevance. He would be revered across half of the state and I am sure ESPN would fire up the hype machine for the man who resurrected the lowly Bills.....

On the other hand, Philly is notorious for crapping all over everyone related to their sports franchises if they aren't performing up to par and the Browns....are as bad as the Bills with possibly less talent.

Edited by JM57

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing it up a little bit here, because I am not so sure I believe in what I am about to say, but its an entertaining thought to kick around:

If the man has such a huge ego, wouldn't Buffalo BE a good fit for him? His hubris would make him think he cannot possibly fail. Building off that, he would see a place with a fiercely loyal fan base that would treat him like a G.D. rock star if he were the coach to bring them back from a decade and a half of complete irrelevance. He would be revered across half of the state and I am sure ESPN would fire up the hype machine for the man who resurrected the lowly Bills.....

Sure, but after all that Philly has been through, why wouldn't the same apply to them and their fans?

Do I think Kelly will succeed? I have no idea. But even if he doesn't, it sure would be fun to root for a team that thinks outside the box for a change.

No it wouldn't. Losing is not fun no matter how you slice it. We all loved Coach Gailey's "Mega Mind Offense" when were on the 5-1 run in 2011. Then the losing set in and he was a moron. Same would go for Kelly. We'd say it was a stupid hire and what were thinking that a snot nose college coach could come in and show the NFL guys how it's done.

Winning is fun. Losing (even with Chip Kelly) is not.

I would take winning every game 6-3 with a 3 yards and cloud of dust offense than some innovative out-of-the-box whizz bang BS that doesn't work. Not saying Coach Kelly will fail, but if he does, let's not kid ourselves into thinking we'll like it anyway.

Ya your right, I was thinking more of the hurry up aspects of the K Gun. But when Kelly did run, he usually got some yards.

The K=Gun was a complete failure in the SuperBowls 0-4. That system does not work against an elite NFL defense. Just watch the "low-lights" of the Bills Superbowl's.

Chip Kelly' s gimmick college offense will never work against quality NFL defenses. He is the next Steve Spurrier. No thanks. I want an NFL team with an NFL offense.

Type it over and over again and see if that makes it so.

There are plenty of posts suggesting your assertion is incorrect. There's also a substantial amount of evidence to back it up.

Sure, but after all that Philly has been through, why wouldn't the same apply to them and their fans?

Just addressed them in the edit. Look back at Andy Reid's tenure. Those fans were calling for his head because they lost THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. They're absolutely brutal. its almost as if they expect 19-0 from the Eagles, 193-0 from the Phillies, 98-0 from the Flyers and 98-0 from the Sixers because every single loss is treated like the end of the world. They just crap all over their coaches and players.

Spurrier was an NFL QB. Albeit for the 0-14 Buc's - we can discuss whether or not that was really like being in the NFL! :rolleyes:

Before Tampa Bay, Spurrier was drafted and played for the 49'ers. A moment not many people remember, and with good reason.

My dad is a Niners fan and he would lament on how the 49'ers could have had Bob Griese.

The K=Gun was a complete failure in the SuperBowls 0-4. That system does not work against an elite NFL defense. Just watch the "low-lights" of the Bills Superbowl's.

Oh so it was the offense that lost when the defense allowed a combined 82 points to Dallas? Yeah, their offense wasn't up to par in either game. But you don't win football games allowing 30 points, and you sure as hell don't win them allowing 52.

Just addressed them in the edit. Look back at Andy Reid's tenure. Those fans were calling for his head because they lost THE NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. They're absolutely brutal. its almost as if they expect 19-0 from the Eagles, 193-0 from the Phillies, 98-0 from the Flyers and 98-0 from the Sixers because every single loss is treated like the end of the world. They just crap all over their coaches and players.

i will second that! i have lived here 4 years, their fans are truly very fickle.. to put it mildly..

Yes - I meant it's not like the K Gun. The K Gun didn't have a season with 100 designed runs for Jimbo...

There are some similarities though:

Both designed to spread the defense.

Both flex the TE.

Both seek to establish a dominant running game.

Both run lots of counters to the RB.

Both only use a handful of plays predominantly.

And certainly both like to push the pace and get off as many plays as possible.

There are other similarities as well.

GO BILLS!!!

again, you dont actually get what the system is if that is the argument.

The next Steve Spurrier. His gimmick offense will never work against a quality NFL defense.

What's the "gimmick"? He runs an up-tempo spread offense. There's nothing gimmicky about it. Levey had success with the no-huddle K-Gun. Gailey tried to find success with the spread. Others use the spread more successfully. Chip Kelly's offense is a clever amalgam of old, good ideas. But what probably sets Oregon apart is that they execute it really, really well because of the way Kelly prepares his teams.

I'm not sure how well his offense would work in the NFL but it's not a gimmick. Kelly's just a good college coach. He's good at X's and O's and good at getting his players to execute with speed and precision.

On the other hand, Philly is notorious for crapping all over everyone related to their sports franchises if they aren't performing up to par and the Browns....are as bad as the Bills with possibly less talent.

Who cares if he has a big ego. You probably need a big ego to succeed in this business.

What's the "gimmick"? He runs an up-tempo spread offense. There's nothing gimmicky about it. Levey had success with the no-huddle K-Gun. Gailey tried to find success with the spread. Others use the spread more successfully. Chip Kelly's offense is a clever amalgam of old, good ideas. But what probably sets Oregon apart is that they execute it really, really well because of the way Kelly prepares his teams.

I'm not sure how well his offense would work in the NFL but it's not a gimmick. Kelly's just a good college coach. He's good at X's and O's and good at getting his players to execute with speed and precision.

yup - the speed and knowing when to take risks is the only gimmick, and neither of those are gimmicks. the former is common, the latter is only noteworthy in that he is so much better at it, that it looks like it should be wrong just because it does stand out.

This is a win/win for me.

If we hire Kelly then that would be awesome and it would be exciting that we landed the biggest HC prospect.

If we dont sign him then we still get a quality HC in Lovie Smith who knows how to win and we all dont have to worry if Kelly can bring his college success to the NFL

CBF

There are some similarities though:

Both designed to spread the defense.

Both flex the TE.

Both seek to establish a dominant running game.

Both run lots of counters to the RB.

Both only use a handful of plays predominantly.

And certainly both like to push the pace and get off as many plays as possible.

There are other similarities as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Somebody call Brandon - sounds like another selling point for his pitch today! We've seen his offense work here!

Whatever...OK...That's really far from the point of my post...I was responding to a post that was basically saying that because the Bills Coaches were not being mentioned for open Coaching Positions right now that meant the rest of the NFL was of the belief that The Bills problems were mainly Coaching not talent...And I'm not saying Coaching was not a problem...I'm just saying it was not all of the problem...The talent Buddy brought in was a big part of it too...That's all... B-)

To be clear - you are talking about the reality of the Bills' problems - I am specifically talking about the league's perception of the problems.

This is an amazing opportunity and I'm excited it's even a possibility. A week ago it would not have been. Some people really need to screw that fact into their brains.

Also, consider the Bills' competitors here. Cleveland has no talent on its roster at all, so Kelly would have to sign up for a total rebuild. Philly has talent, sure, but it has an aging defense and a very weak offensive line. Plus in Philly you have a very difficult fanbase and a somewhat difficult FO dynamic (Lurie is very loyal to Roseman, who has a questionable reputation when it comes to player personnel skills). Sure, Kelly could always opt to stay at Oregon. But the Bills will make a hard sell and finally have the roster and the FO structure to get it done.

Just think, we never would've thought that Mario would entertain the thought of coming here. Brandon had a lot to do with getting that done. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Do I think Kelly will succeed? I have no idea. But even if he doesn't, it sure would be fun to root for a team that thinks outside the box for a change.

I agree with everything you've said, except the bold portion. Have you read the game day threads this season? Aside from that, I think the fact that the Bills have a lot of options more than one option for a head coach is a huge improvement over three years ago and a nice first step..