Gailey's Stubborness - "Fitz Gives Us Best Chance"

Mr. T

When I read a report that Gailey's response to questions yesterday about whether he would give Thigpen or Jackson a chance this Sunday was that he was sticking with Fitz "because He (Fitz) gives us the best chance to win", I about lost it. This to me sums up the primary flaw (and it's a BIG one) with Gailey and the entire coaching staff. They are just too damn stubborn, or prideful, to admit they could be wrong, and are unwilling to adjust or change their ways.

Exhibit A - Fitz was proclaimed, by Gailey and Nix, last year and he is their only option. Hence no drafting of anyone who could compete for the position. Trading for TJ and NEVER even dressing him out. It is obvious that TJ was brought in ONLY as an emergency contingency plan X if their man, Fitz, got hurt.

Exhibit B - Sticking with the platooning of Spiller and Jackson even after it was SOOOO obvious to everyone, except Gailey, that Spiller should have been the go to guy. Gailey made the decision during preseason and he wasn't going to change, regardless.

Exhibit C - Wannstadt's defensive game plan. Rush four, rush four, rush four, .........

Exhibit D - (Probably the most depressing) Nix stating he would prefer to maintain the status quo in order to maintain continuity. In other words, let's just keep losing until we get it right.

I've been a diehard Bills fan for the past 40+ years and I can't remember a more discouraging time to be a fan of this team.

Changes needed to be made during the season, and most diffinently after this season so mercifully comes to an end this weekend. They were not made during the season and they are likely not going to happen after the season. "Pride cometh before the fall." I think we have witnessed enough pride, let's just hope the fall comes very soon.

Edited by Mr. T

Gailey needs to stay with Fitz because he is all in with him. They haven't drafted a QB competitor since he's been here and the free agents they've brought in have either been waived or relegated to clipboard duty. There is no one else, by choice. Fitz is the guy.

Gailey has bet his NFL coaching career that Fitz is a playoff caliber NFL QB in a pass first system and he's about to be fired because of it.

Who else is Gailey gonna play? Thigpen? TJax? Brad Smith? Fitz is the "best chance" of that bunch.

PTR

How do you know? I'd like to see TJax see the field before agreeing with that proclamation.

Edited by Marauder24

One thing about Chan is he is right! Arguably the most important position on the feild and we have two backups, one third string and 1 qb that makes a very servicable wide receiver. The two backups are TJ and Fitz. TJ should be released, Fitz should get clip board duty. Thigpen needs to be cut. And Smith should be kept for the third stringer slash wr spot. Then Bills need to draft a stud in the first and someone in later rounds of udfa. The stud should be starting day on and the later round or udfa should compete for starting job or backup. problem solved....oh and Chan needs to be gone.

When I read a report that Gailey's response to questions yesterday about whether he would give Thigpen or Jackson a chance this Sunday was that he was sticking with Fitz "because He (Fitz) gives us the best chance to win", I about lost it. This to me sums up the primary flaw (and it's a BIG one) with Gailey and the entire coaching staff. They are just too damn stubborn, or prideful, to admit they could be wrong, and are unwilling to adjust or change their ways.

Exhibit A - Fitz was proclaimed, by Gailey and Nix, last year and he is their only option. Hence no drafting of anyone who could compete for the position. Trading for TJ and NEVER even dressing him out. It is obvious that TJ was brought in ONLY as an emergency contingency plan X if their man, Fitz, got hurt.

Exhibit B - Sticking with the platooning of Spiller and Jackson even after it was SOOOO obvious to everyone, except Gailey, that Spiller should have been the go to guy. Gailey made the decision during preseason and he wasn't going to change, regardless.

Exhibit C - Wannstadt's defensive game plan. Rush four, rush four, rush four, .........

Exhibit D - (Probably the most depressing) Nix stating he would prefer to maintain the status quo in order to maintain continuity. In other words, let's just keep losing until we get it right.

I've been a diehard Bills fan for the past 40+ years and I can't remember a more discouraging time to be a fan of this team.

Changes needed to be made during the season, and most diffinently after this season so mercifully comes to an end this weekend. They were not made during the season and they are likely not going to happen after the season. "Pride cometh before the fall." I think we have witnessed enough pride, let's just hope the fall comes very soon.

I couldn't agree more. It is Chan's stubborness that makes me so angry. Not sure if anyone has yet to clarify why they gave up a 7th rounder for a guy that they won't even dress for ONE game!! ONE!! And then to say that Fitz gives us the best chance to win?? Sure he does, but OUR SEASON IS OVER...what are we playing for? Pride? The difference between maybe a #4 pick and and a #10 pick? Give someone else a shot! Everyone knows what we have in Fitzpatrick. Winning the game Sunday means absolutely nothing. If I'm wrong someone tell me. What will winning the game Sunday show us? The Bills have fight in them? They believe in their head coach? They want to have some momentum heading into next season?

I am ready for Chan to be shown the door. And take Fitz with you......since you are so loyal to him...

One thing about Chan is he is right! Arguably the most important position on the feild and we have two backups, one third string and 1 qb that makes a very servicable wide receiver. The two backups are TJ and Fitz. TJ should be released, Fitz should get clip board duty. Thigpen needs to be cut. And Smith should be kept for the third stringer slash wr spot. Then Bills need to draft a stud in the first and someone in later rounds of udfa. The stud should be starting day on and the later round or udfa should compete for starting job or backup. problem solved....oh and Chan needs to be gone.

You don't get relegated to clipboard duty when you have a contract the size of Fitz's.

Who else is Gailey gonna play? Thigpen? TJax? Brad Smith? Fitz is the "best chance" of that bunch.

PTR

True so then why spend a 7th round pick on T Jackson? They must of thought he had something?

That move was almost as dumb as trading up in the third round to select Graham and bypassing a solid QB prospect.

Nix is not a GM, he is a Scout. He appears to be working without a plan.

Gailey is not a HC, he is an OC.

You don't get relegated to clipboard duty when you have a contract the size of Fitz's.

Please.

Ok, then New England should have let Bledsoe have his starting job back instead of Brady. Bledsoe was making much more than a 6th rounder.

True so then why spend a 7th round pick on T Jackson? They must of thought he had something?

That move was almost as dumb as trading up in the third round to select Graham and bypassing a solid QB prospect.

Please.

Ok, then New England should have let Bledsoe have his starting job back instead of Brady. Bledsoe was making much more than a 6th rounder.

And how long was Bledsoe in NE after that?

Edited by jjmac

We were all bamboozled by the apparent "rib injury" that made Ryan play terribly the end of last year. Then in preseason when he played horribly he said " Wait until the regular season begin". Now that the season is one game from being over there are no more excuses for him. He's always been a backup QB and will always be a backup. i just hope the Bills organization learned that you DON'T need a Harvard education to play quarterback in the NFL! I wonder now if Ryan will do the right thing and redo his contract?

PTR

How do you know? I'd like to see TJax see the field before agreeing with that proclamation.

Agreed...Based on their careers so far it's tough for anyone to come to the conclusion that Jackson would be worse...And at some point you would think they would be curious themselves...But more than anything this reeks of Gailey and Nix going down with the ship they built... B-)

Agreed...Based on their careers so far it's tough for anyone to come to the conclusion that Jackson would be worse...And at some point you would think they would be curious themselves...But more than anything this reeks of Gailey and Nix going down with the ship they built... B-)

Jackson's been shown the door in 2 places, has 50+ games of live footage. Go watch it. Much like fitz - he's a good backup or a poor starter. Seeing 1 or 2 games of him in a blue jersey will not change that fact long term.

Maybe he wins an extra game, maybe he loses an extra. Unless the question is "who's your back up?" He's not a great answer. No shame in that - its a valuable role.

Edited by NoSaint

That may be the only thing Gailey is right about. #14 the best stiff among stiffs! I can't believe anyone could think that Cooter would be a good offensive coordinator. In what year? 1995? '85? Norv Turner, can't we find anyone older?

One thing about Fitz, I have never seen anyone close to taking the hits he takes and continues to play. What if he got knocked out, who would we have to fill in? Incredibley scary, All of our backups don't even belong in the NFL. Our starter is at best a backup. Who's fault is that Mr. Nix?

I think Chan is right. TJax was picked up as insurance in case Fitz got hurt. TJax is not the answer going forward. He has a one year contract. It is too late to see if he can make enough of a difference to get the team a few more wins this year. All the people screaming for TJax to play over Fitz at this point would be screaming even louder if TJax was proclaimed the starter next year and the offense was no better than it is now (which would be likely, IMHO). Next year should involve a rookie either starting, or taking over for Fitz after a few games. TJax does not fit into that picture.

PS: I was never impressed with Chan and I hope he is replaced in the offseason, and as much as I think Fitz is a good guy, he does not have the skills needed to be a starting NFL QB.

PTR

You would think that logic would dictate that since the Bills used a draft pick to obtain Tavaris Jackson they should see if he is a "keeper" in the Buffalo offense. They don't even want to see what the guy can do in a regular season game before the season ends? Oh Wait! are they are afraid it might show how flawed that O line might actually be.

At this point who really shivs a git about winning the game. Its actually better to lose out and obtain a better draft pick while letting the Jets win and letting them have a crappier pick. JMO

This is just another reason why this entire regime should be crap canned. :bag:

We should be pleased. Fitz gives us the best chance to get a better draft pick. Some fans want us to throw the game in order to improve our draft position. Well leaving GAiley and FItz to their normal standard of play gives us the best chance to achieve that.

I liked Chan but he is now irrelevant in any discussion about decisions made by a head coach.

I agree. Booger, Cooter and Fitz all need to be let go right after the Jets game.

We were all bamboozled by the apparent "rib injury" that made Ryan play terribly the end of last year. Then in preseason when he played horribly he said " Wait until the regular season begin". Now that the season is one game from being over there are no more excuses for him. He's always been a backup QB and will always be a backup. i just hope the Bills organization learned that you DON'T need a Harvard education to play quarterback in the NFL! I wonder now if Ryan will do the right thing and redo his contract?

Yup.... I was suckered, convinced that the injury was the problem and convinced health plus a mechanics guru was the answer. We should have listened to Fitz. He stated all along the rib injury was not a problem and he minimized what mechanics adjustments would do for his game. He was right. What we saw is what we have.

T jax need to play. If nothing he could toss a deep ball to Graham. I am tired of an offense that prizes intellect over athleticism. It cost us years of spiller production, kept Graham off of the field, and has resulted in garbage under center.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

PTR

I agree, but in terms of what is best for the team in the long run, I would rather have a higher draft pick and a "real bullets" evaluation of TJax preparing all week and starting against the Jets here at home.

He led his team to the playoffs last year, had over 3000 yards passing, the Jets have no film on him as a Bill, and if he can't play lets find that out now and use the $3m next year to help keep Levitre and Byrd.

Having Fitz play and squeaking out a 16-13 win at home to end the season is the exact opposite of what we need right now.

Chan is not seeing things clearly. Fitz has been a loser for 3 seasons now. What more do you want to see ?? I have seen enough.

The OP is correct...Chan is so stubborn , his man love for Fitz it's gonna cost both men their jobs.

Why they didnt make T. Jackson a gameday backup is beyond me. So what they saying is Thigpen is that much better than Jackson??

T. Jackson never had a chance in Buffalo.

Including the win over the Bills?

I imagine if that's your only reference point, it's easy to be curious. Instead of demanding he be played, go watch more of him. You'll see that, though he's got some talent, he's also not the answer. This isn't a rookie that's never seen an nfl field. Getting excited about his potential is much like getting excited about fitz a few years ago.

PTR

"best chance" for what? They are 5-10 with Fitz as the starter this year. So none of those other guys gives them an equal chance at losing?

The read option seems to be the current trend in NFL offenses. I would wager that either TJax or Brad Smith could run it better than Fitz. Too late now, but it might have been worth a look at midseason when they still had something to play for. We already knew that Fitz wasn't going to get us there.

It's hard to admit you made a mistake when you sign a guy to that kind of contract.

Meh. Fitz is paid like what he is - a lower mid-tier QB (#18 or so), but that's besides the point.

Look at it this way folks: suppose TJax comes in and lights the place up against a beaten-up dysfunctional Jets team. Isn't that the worst thing that can happen?

His track history says TJax is Fitz 2.0: more arm, perhaps a little less complex mentally. If he lit the place up, it would seem like maybe we have a QB.