"You're in the right neighborhood" - Nix on 2013 Draft QBs

I don't know if any of you were listening to Buddy Nix's Friday interview on WGR550 this morning or not. But Sal Capaccio asked if Nix had a chance to look at Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, or Mike Glennon as of yet. He replied that he did. Sal then asked him if he had anything to say about any of the three. His reply was interesting:

"No..... but you're in the right neighborhood".

Everyone knows Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are near the top of the draft as far as QB's go. So if Sal's "in the right neighborhood", then Nix isn't just looking at a QB. He's looking at one near the top *thumbs up*

Edited by BillsFanForever19

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have a feeling at least 1 or 2 will be available by the time we probably pick (7-10ish).

The only qb I do not like whatsoever is Tyler wilson.

I'm with you ! Wilson i think will make a good NFL QB , Barkley will be the next (Sanchez, Palmer , Lienhert, R.Johnson) & for sure if we take him he will be more to the R. Johnson than any of them.

Laundry Jones is another that flat out scares me very inconsistant & we already have that !! The whole Nassib hype i don't get ? I watched tape on him throwing incompletions & interceptions & again i say we have that !!

I just hope we don't do like Donahoe did with Losman & jump to get a prospect that isn't worth the pick at the round taken ,It would be a lot easier to take if a QB was taken later & didn't work out than blowing draft picks to move up & then have them not work out ...

Again we have already done that enough T. Jack , Carder & others

I'm with you ! Wilson i think will make a good NFL QB , Barkley will be the next (Sanchez, Palmer , Lienhert, R.Johnson) & for sure if we take him he will be more to the R. Johnson than any of them.

Laundry Jones is another that flat out scares me very inconsistant & we already have that !! The whole Nassib hype i don't get ? I watched tape on him throwing incompletions & interceptions & again i say we have that !!

I just hope we don't do like Donahoe did with Losman & jump to get a prospect that isn't worth the pick at the round taken ,It would be a lot easier to take if a QB was taken later & didn't work out than blowing draft picks to move up & then have them not work out ...

Again we have already done that enough T. Jack , Carder & others

Your reading comprehension skills are hilarious.

The comparison of Barkley to the other USC QBs is awful and lazy.

Not necessarily. Barkley had decision making problems, consistently, this season. He's not athletically elite.

He also had accuracy issues this season. And he never had the strongest arm to begin with. Living in

SoCal I have to watch more SC games than I'd prefer. Barkley might turn out to be good, but he has legitimate

question surrounding him that were created by his play.

Glennon will be the top QB taken in this draft....book it

Disagree. Smith will be. Why? He is the QB of the modern NFL. Glennon is a traditional pocket passer. A very good one, but do you really think, if all things are equal coming out of the combine and individual workouts that Glennon would go before Smith? Or that the Bills, specifically, would draft Glennon over Smith? QB's who can throw and provide a run element are more desireable. Now Smith isn't RGIII or Newton by any means, but he's more mobile than Glennon.

Edited by purple haze

He doesn't compare to those prospects at all. Best comparison is Pennington before his arm went full noodle. I've also watched more USC games than i would have liked. Kiffen is god-awful and puts him in a position to fail. The play calling is mind numbingly bad. his two WR are wickedly talented but headcases. They run wrong routes or quit on their routes frequently. his arm strength isn't elite but it's certainly good enough. he can make all the throws necessary. he has made some poor decisions, but IMO they been mostly a product of him knowing he has to carry that sack of **** team on his back. yes, you can point to all their talent, but as a team they are horrendous. eagles of College football.

Glennon will be the top QB taken in this draft....book it

I don't think so...But I do think he will be the 2nd QB taken, and both could go in the Top 5...

At the end of the day Glennon's athletic ability is going to knock him down ever so slightly...He's actually not a bad athlete for his length, but he's no Kaepernick...That's for certain...I think between the two I like what Geno brings to the table just a bit more because he is a dual threat...Not to the level of RGII or Cam Newton...But Geno is a decent running QB, he's just a pass 1st QB...

But anyway...I'd take either for The Bills in a heartbeat... B-)

I wouldn't at all be upset with Geno Smith, and I have been tooting the Glennon horn since around Halloween. On the other hand, I would say no to Barkley and Tyler Wilson like others have in this thread. If we are talking 2nd-4th rounders, I wouldn't be upset with Landry Jones, Aaron Murray, or Ryan Nassib...depending on the round

He doesn't compare to those prospects at all. Best comparison is Pennington before his arm went full noodle. I've also watched more USC games than i would have liked. Kiffen is god-awful and puts him in a position to fail. The play calling is mind numbingly bad. his two WR are wickedly talented but headcases. They run wrong routes or quit on their routes frequently. his arm strength isn't elite but it's certainly good enough. he can make all the throws necessary. he has made some poor decisions, but IMO they been mostly a product of him knowing he has to carry that sack of **** team on his back. yes, you can point to all their talent, but as a team they are horrendous. eagles of College football.

I mostly agree...Though I do worry about his arm strength and size...I don't think Barkley is a 1st Round QB Prospect...I just don't...That's not to say that I don't think he's got some ability...Because he does...I have said all along that the kid is though as nails, and that the situation at USC is not where near as good as some folks think it may be...That O-Line is just terrible at pass blocking...Just awful...And Barkley got pummeled behind it...Just go back and watch the Stanford game...I felt bad for the kid...He got absolutely battered in his Sr. season... B-)

Te'o first.....trade back into 1st and get the best QB in the mid-late 20's. Have a feeling Glennon/Landry Jones/Nassib will be right there.

I think you, and quite a few others, have prematurely jumped on the Te'o train before all the facts are in...Don't get me wrong, the kid is a great person and a very good player...Just wondering what all of these Te'o backers will say if the kid can't run Sub 4.7...Don't assume that he can do in the NFL what he did in College...He's not Patrick Willis, or Ray Lewis coming out...He's not that caliber athlete...And you can get good LB's later, especially in the 2nd Round...The last thing The Bills need to do is assume they can Trade back into the 1st Round for a QB that ends up going higher than they think he will...Then your guy is gone and once again it's slimmer pickings...If they like a QB in the 1st, they damn well better take him with their 1st Pick...Period...You don't pass on a potential Franchise QB, especially when you basically have nothing at the QB position on your current Roster, for an ILB...Ever... B-)

I think you, and quite a few others, have prematurely jumped on the Te'o train before all the facts are in...Don't get me wrong, the kid is a great person and a very good player...Just wondering what all of these Te'o backers will say if the kid can't run Sub 4.7...Don't assume that he can do in the NFL what he did in College...He's not Patrick Willis, or Ray Lewis coming out...He's not that caliber athlete...And you can get good LB's later, especially in the 2nd Round...The last thing The Bills need to do is assume they can Trade back into the 1st Round for a QB that ends up going higher than they think he will...Then your guy is gone and once again it's slimmer pickings...If they like a QB in the 1st, they damn well better take him with their 1st Pick...Period...You don't pass on a potential Franchise QB, especially when you basically have nothing at the QB position on your current Roster, for an ILB...Ever... B-)

Well put....but...if he is in the zone in terms of combine measurables.....his leadership potential, competitive fire and heart....are off the charts. I'll take him high if he's the next London Fletcher. One could argue that we need leadership and fire in the middle of that defense as much as we need a new QB.

Draft Landry Jones! He is the best prospect right now and has done more that any of the other QB's to warrant being drafted. He also is a 4 year starter, is big, has a strong arm and plays in a pro-style offense. He also has set almost all of the NCAA records at QB and at OKLa, all with being under pressure as Okla "D" has been awful this year. I just don't understand how people don't put him in the conversation when, to me, he is the logical pick for the Bills at QB.............

Glennon doesn't move the needle for me at all..........vs crappy ACC defenses he did okay i guess...........human statue 5.0 though.

Seems like a high "bust" factor to me.

He's not a human statue...He's a pocket passer playing behind an average ACC O-Line...He's going to have to play QB in the NFL the way Brady and Flacco do...He's not going to give you a running threat...But I will say this much...His pocket presence, in College at least, is better than Fitz's...He will slide in the pocket to buy that extra second or two...And when he takes off he's definitely faster than Brady...So there is a path for success for a big-armed guy like Glennon...I think he's no higher bust factor than Flacco was... B-)

"Glennon doesn't move the needle for me at all..........vs crappy ACC defenses he did okay i guess...........human statue 5.0 though.

Seems like a high "bust" factor to me."

Totally agree. too much risk, especially when you consider that there are other QB's like Landry Jones with a far better resume

Agree about the play calling. Between that and his general shadiness, Kiffen isn't long for USC. Pennington was a decent QB, but never elite. Like, I said, Barkley could turn out to be good, but it's no sure thing.

Well put....but...if he is in the zone in terms of combine measurables.....his leadership potential, competitive fire and heart....are off the charts. I'll take him high if he's the next London Fletcher. One could argue that we need leadership and fire in the middle of that defense as much as we need a new QB.

One could argue that certainly...I would disagree only because it's QB we're talking about...Any other position and I'm with you 100%...

What I think is actually more likely would be for Te'o to drop a bit due to a average 40 time...Now, if the Bills snagged a QB 1st then traded back into the 1st for Te'o I would be thrilled...You never know... B-)

Draft Landry Jones! He is the best prospect right now and has done more that any of the other QB's to warrant being drafted. He also is a 4 year starter, is big, has a strong arm and plays in a pro-style offense. He also has set almost all of the NCAA records at QB and at OKLa, all with being under pressure as Okla "D" has been awful this year. I just don't understand how people don't put him in the conversation when, to me, he is the logical pick for the Bills at QB.............

He's moving up (again) I will say that much...He's going to battle Tyler Wilson for the 3rd QB taken...At least that's the way I see it...He's a definite possibility for The Bills because Smith and Glennon may both be gone before they pick in the 1st...I give Landry credit...There was a time when it looked like he was lost and had squandered all his hype...He bounced back quite well this year and had some absolutely monster games when he could have just crumbled...That tells me something about the guy...You have to like him for that much... B-)

Zac Dysert is the QB that has the perfect skill set for Buffalo.

1 - strong arm

2 - touch/accuracy

3 - great pocket presence

4 - can throw the ball with accuracy on the move

Dysert reminds me a lot of Roethlisberger, and not just because he plays for the same school, Miami (Ohio). He has the same tough, hang in the pocket to the last second and deliver the ball downfield mentality.

One thing thats become painstakingly obvious watching the Bills this year, is Fitz has absolutely no abililty to move around in the pocket while still keeping his eyes downfield to throw the ball. As soon as Fitz has to relocate in the pocket he immediately takes off

running and will never keep his eyes upfield to make a play downfield with his arm. This attribute is sorely missing in our offense. Watch how many times the good QB's (Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brady, Luck, Wilson) are flushed out of the pocket, but are able to recompose and deliver a dart downfield to a wide open receiver. It's something you just don't see in Buffalo, and it's an area that Zac Dysert excels in. I'm all for Dysert in the 2nd round.....or more likely having to move up into the back end of round 1 to ensure we get him.

While I'm a Barkley defender, my endorsement is Nassib. He has "all of the tools", plays in a pro style offense and most importantly has shown substantial improvement every year. He will go down as the best QB in this draft IMO. I think the bills take Barkley or Glennon though.

I keep seeing people talk about Te'os 40 time, Brandon Spikes ran a 5.1 40 and whether you like the guy or not he's doing pretty well.

This is the second time you've posted this comment. What records has he set? I see 13 school records but no national ones. I understand you like him so maybe you can tell me more about this report from cbssports:

Jones has NFL height and good body flexibility with the mobility to use his legs to extend the play. Jones has good arm strength and average accuracy, but his ball placement is too erratic at each level and he tends to make highly questionable decisions every game. He stares down targets and his accuracy dips when forced to go away from his first read, showing poor footwork when rattled as he struggles to reset and step into his throws.

Jones has put up big numbers as part of a pass-happy offense, lining up in a hybrid pistol/shotgun formation, and is reminiscent of Jay Cutler ? frustrating passer and it doesn't always look pretty, but the tools are there and he gets results. He still has room to improve and needs to show more of a clutch gene and improve his ball placement before he'll be a first round pick.

I'm not completely against him either I just don't know who is the best prospect for the Bills yet FWIW.

If we get lucky and Teo falls to us we got to take him. We need LB's just as bad as QB.

The only way we get Geno Smith is to trade up. I would love for the Bills to do just that but I dont see it happening. What if they go and get say Alex Smith. They could get Smith, Teo and still draft a QB like Nassib.

If they go into next season with Fitz as QB they just wont sell any tickets. I think they finally realize that Fitz is a backup. What took them so long God only knows lol

I have such a hard time believing any QB coming out this year is worth a first round pick. This class reminds me so much of the class from 2 years ago. A lot of Ponders, lockers, and Gaberts, in this class. I also have difficulty with the fact that we are talking about QBs that that didn't get any heismen consideration.

I have such a hard time believing any QB coming out this year is worth a first round pick. This class reminds me so much of the class from 2 years ago. A lot of Ponders, lockers, and Gaberts, in this class. I also have difficulty with the fact that we are talking about QBs that that didn't get any heismen consideration.
Since when does Heisman consideration translate to NFL QB Potential? See Gino Torretta, Eric Crouch, Danny Weurffel, and Tim Tebow as prime examples. Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I don't know if any of you were listening to Buddy Nix's Friday interview on WGR550 this morning or not. But Sal Capaccio asked if Nix had a chance to look at Matt Barkley, Geno Smith, or Mike Glennon as of yet. He replied that he did. Sal then asked him if he had anything to say about any of the three. His reply was interesting:

"No..... but you're in the right neighborhood".

Everyone knows Geno Smith and Matt Barkley are near the top of the draft as far as QB's go. So if Sal's "in the right neighborhood", then Nix isn't just looking at a QB. He's looking at one near the top *thumbs up*

if we pick those guys we will be looking for another one in 3 years.

Landry Jones is the answer.

He plays Manziel in the Cotton Bowl monday the 4rth 8:00, last chance to see our QB in action.