How awesome would it be?

How awesome would it be to have a QB situation like San Fran where your head coach can BENCH a starter who's what, 21-6 in his last 27 starts for a guy who he likes better?

IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLAYOFF RUN!

First world problems, my friends. First world problems.

How awesome would it be to have a QB situation like San Fran where your head coach can BENCH a starter who's what, 21-6 in his last 27 starts for a guy who he likes better?

100% agree Joe...But at this point it's like salt on an open wound...The thought that we could have had Kaepernick, or Dalton, and all we would have to give up is Aaron Williams...That thought alone is enough to send a few Bills fans to one of those padded rooms...Or the nearest bridge... ;)

Let alone Nix made that Pick KNOWING that Ryan Fitzpatrick was our Starting QB, and Tyler Thigpen was our Back-Up...He did know that...Right?... :huh:

CK seems not quite right to me. I think someone is going to figure him out and relegate him to flutie or Vick status.... you know more of a side show attraction. But we'll see.

Bellicheck loves finding qb strengths and taking them away, exposing their weaknesses and they happen to play 12/16.

Didnt the Bills do that with Flutie and RJ?

SF's plan will work great - if they win. If they lose, people will be calling for Harbaugh's hide!

It's not like Smith was completing only 70% of his passes at 8 yards a clip with 13 tds and only 5 picks or anything like that.... Oh wait. The one thing Smith was pretty bad is he has a high sack rate once every 9 passes. For comparison Sake Ryan Fitzpatrick gets sacked once every 18 pass attempts. From that perspective I understand Harbaugh wanting to find someone whos going to be a bit more of a game changer than a game manager. The only thing thats questionable is the timing

I like Kaepernick, but I think it is a terrible idea to bech Smith at this point and go with CK.

Reminds me of the Flutie/Johnson fiasco.

Except in the 49ers case both QB are good, not the other way around... ;)

I thought it was a mistake at first...But now I'm not sure...Kaepernick's ceiling is a mile high...We'll see... B-)

Bellicheck loves finding qb strengths and taking them away, exposing their weaknesses and they happen to play 12/16.

We'll see...This Pats Defense can look REAL bad at times (they're 27th in the league...The Bills are 26th so...)...It could go either way... B-)

Who cares.

Smith blows big chunks. Its all about Frank Gore and the Defense.

Alex Smith is at least twice as good as Fitz. Davis is a dominant TE and the WRs look pretty good to me.

It kills me that we passed on so many QBs over the past 3 years. Kaepernick, Dalton. Cousins. Heck, even Wilson. How do do you, as a coach, know that Fitz is the answer without having other talent around to compare him to.

This is Nix's #1 failing as a GM.

I like Kaepernick, but I think it is a terrible idea to bech Smith at this point and go with CK.

I question nothing a Harbaugh does.

Exactly - careful what you hope for, benching your winning qb for a more talented but unproven one you traded for

Alex Smith is at least twice as good as Fitz. Davis is a dominant TE and the WRs look pretty good to me.

It kills me that we passed on so many QBs over the past 3 years. Kaepernick, Dalton. Cousins. Heck, even Wilson. How do do you, as a coach, know that Fitz is the answer without having other talent around to compare him to.

A-freaking-men...Agree 100%... B-)

100% agree Joe...But at this point it's like salt on an open wound...The thought that we could have had Kaepernick, or Dalton, and all we would have to give up is Aaron Williams

So now we are lamenting on Kaepernick? After he's played two good games? Give me a break.

First off the 49'ers are a complete team. Have you not seen their defense?

Also, while Kaepernick has played good, he did not singlehandedly beat the Saints. The Niners got 2 defensive touchdowns in that game, that was the difference.

Kaepernick may turn out to be good, but let's not give him that Hall of Fame bust just yet.

Want to feel even worse?

The Bills are probably paying Fitz n Thigpen more then the Niners are paying Smith and Kapernick

100% agree Joe...But at this point it's like salt on an open wound...The thought that we could have had Kaepernick, or Dalton, and all we would have to give up is Aaron Williams...That thought alone is enough to send a few Bills fans to one of those padded rooms...Or the nearest bridge... ;)

Let alone Nix made that Pick KNOWING that Ryan Fitzpatrick was our Starting QB, and Tyler Thigpen was our Back-Up...He did know that...Right?... :huh:

I hated the Aaron Williams pick and couldn't believe how many ppl on here liked it

How many high picks has this team wasted on corners that can't cover? Who exactly is evaluating the coverage skills of DBs on this team?

Edited by Max997

This thread separates a lot of us. Just like Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie...CK/Alex Smith. We could have, we should have...this or that. In 10 years maybe we'll rewrite history to be happy for Fitzpatrick. Soon we will be saying how Kelly Holcumb was this close to Pro Bowl...

So now we are lamenting on Kaepernick? After he's played two good games? Give me a break.

Also, while Kaepernick has played good, he did not singlehandedly beat the Saints. The Niners got 2 defensive touchdowns in that game, that was the difference.

Kaepernick may turn out to be good, but let's not give him that Hall of Fame bust just yet.

Who's giving him a bust?

The only question here is, right now, would you rather have Kaepernick or Fitz? Compared to what we have, the dream of a kid like Kaepernick would understandably take most Bills fans into fantasy land...He's a wet dream compared to what we see on most Sundays...

I'm pretty sure any Bills Fan would take their chances with Kaepernick, noob or not, over our current situation...I don't think Kaepernick has proven much...But he's got a massive upside compared to Fitz...At this point any Bills Fan who would not LOVE to have, at minimum, the hope that Kaepernick brings...Well...You would have to be a massive glutton for punishment... B-)

Or it could remind you of the Bledsoe/Brady situation which is more similar and that worked out pretty good for NE. I am sure Buff will now trade at least a first round pick and then some for Alex Smith next year who will be useless here too

I looked at every draft in another thread since the 2007 Trent Edwards, and the only pick where we passed on someone we clearly should have picked, knew it on draft day, and are getting it clearer as time passes is A.Williams over Dalton/Kaepernick. There is nowhere else where a good pick is picked relatively soon after our pick who was a consensus success. So for all the hair pulling, it should be Dalton that angers us if anything. If you disagree, please name the pick and round and player that was a clear good pick for us for a QB in our spot. Mallet over Sheppard? Freeman over McKelvin? Some other hindsight ones, but not draft day dumb decisions.

This is Nix's #1 failing as a GM. I question nothing a Harbaugh does.

Fitz is on par with Alex Smith, as he was a foregone conclusion before Jim Harbaugh arrived in SF, they couldn't trade him to anybody, and he was stinking it up worse then Fitz. The right offense can make any QB look good as it did for Smith. Harbaugh needs to know if Kaepernick can keep winning, plus he is much more versatile with his mobility.

Look at what a difference the right head coach and the right assistants he hires can make vs an inept staff like the Buffalo Bills have. All it would take at this point is to hire the right GM & HC

The people who liked the Aaron Williams pick saw that many mock drafts had Williams going in the first round. I was praying for dalton or Kap, couldn't believe we passed on him. I was happy we drafted a guy I thought would be good. I was apparently wrong about Williams, but still preferred dalton or Kap

Fitz is on par with Alex Smith, as he was a foregone conclusion before Jim Harbaugh arrived in SF, they couldn't trade him to anybody, and he was stinking it up worse then Fitz. The right offense can make any QB look good as it did for Smith. Harbaugh needs to know if Kaepernick can keep winning, plus he is much more versatile with his mobility.

Look at what a difference the right head coach and the right assistants he hires can make vs an inept staff like the Buffalo Bills have. All it would take at this point is to hire the right GM & HC

And find a QB that doesn't absolutely suck at throwing passes over 15 yards.

The people who liked the Aaron Williams pick saw that many mock drafts had Williams going in the first round. I was praying for dalton or Kap, couldn't believe we passed on him. I was happy we drafted a guy I thought would be good. I was apparently wrong about Williams, but still preferred dalton or Kap

And find a QB that doesn't absolutely suck at throwing passes over 15 yards.

NFN, but Fitz wasn't quite this bad in past years! My take is the new QB coach is screwing with his technique and mechanics, as this is the first year anyone has tried to work with Fitz. The old saying ":you can't teach an old dog new tricks" has some merit. When you have a QB that has been around as long as Fitz, it has to be supremely difficult to try and teach a QB new ways of doing things. drafted in 2005-2012 It may take a few years to develop Fitz properly, and he may never change his ways.

Just look at Tim Tebow who has been trying to change his mechanics since entering the league and hasn't gotten it done yet.

Not to mention opposing teams have gotten enough film of Gaileys quick short passing scheme, and have learned how to defeat it. Yet Gailey keeps calling 5 WR empty backfield sets, and forcing the QB to try and win it all, instead of relying more on his two superstar RB's. The entire world population of almost 7 billion know Fitz is an average QB, everyone except Chan Gailey that is....

Kaepernick should have ours like I wanted back then :angry:

Yeah, but we have Brad Smith

:lol:

pretty much the same as Kaepernick :D

reminds me of Bledsoe/Brady.

Didnt the Bills do that with Flutie and RJ?

SF's plan will work great - if they win. If they lose, people will be calling for Harbaugh's hide!

Man I hope so then we can just transplant him, the staff and FO right over here.... time to get that billboard fired up in San Fran :devil: :devil: :devil:

Let's trade for Smith in 2013...make him sit out the whole year...then not activate him at all...and make Thigpen number #2 QB again

YES!!! :worthy::lol:

Mark, no one is claiming that CK is great or will be great. But there were many here that thought he was one of the better QBs in the draft at the time. He's showing it so far. He will most likely be the starting QB of the 49ers for years to come. He could have been taken by any team in the league. And yet, with Futz as our starting QB being as limited as he is, we decided in Aaron Williams instead. The people here that are all pissed off isn't the issue, the real issue is our FO and its inability to find talent at possibly the most important position in the game and its been that way since Jim Kelly left.

Yeah, but we have Brad Smith

Game, set, match, BFF.

No one will be calling for Harbaugh's hide. He's a deity already.

Exactly - careful what you hope for, benching your winning qb for a more talented but unproven one you traded for

Except that CK was someone the Niners and their quarterback guru loved and traded up to draft.

I looked at every draft in another thread since the 2007 Trent Edwards, and the only pick where we passed on someone we clearly should have picked, knew it on draft day, and are getting it clearer as time passes is A.Williams over Dalton/Kaepernick. There is nowhere else where a good pick is picked relatively soon after our pick who was a consensus success. So for all the hair pulling, it should be Dalton that angers us if anything. If you disagree, please name the pick and round and player that was a clear good pick for us for a QB in our spot. Mallet over Sheppard? Freeman over McKelvin? Some other hindsight ones, but not draft day dumb decisions.

It's a bit too early to say that it was definitely the right move but lots of people would have been happy with Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins instead of TJ Graham.

Anyways regarding the Niners QB situation, yes CK has an extremely high ceiling but as a very inexperienced QB, he has a lower floor than Alex Smith.

At least with Smith you have a known quantity (quality NFL starter).

Undoubtedly the opposing DC are gonna cook up some things that CK hasn't seen yet and there'll be some rough spots as there always is for young QBs.

The Niners hope is that his growing pains don't result in a loss that hurts their playoff seeding or knocks them out of the playoffs.

CK is auditioning now and the Niners can evaluate on a continuing basis. If CK does anything to create too much doubt, they'll go back to Smith.

I think the risk is minimal.

The 2011 draft class may turn out to be a very special year for QBs, and the fact that the braintrust at obd didn't think it was wise to select one of the available qbs speaks volumes about the state of the franchise.

Show me the baby Buddy.

Harbaugh can beat you with His vs Yours, then beat you with Yours vs His.

Aaron Williams may be a great Safety one day, but not a QB that can lift a franchise. Need to balance that risk vs Reward. Regardless of the record the team has a foundation of talent. Buddy can swing for the fences more in the 2013 draft. Take 2 QBs in the first 3 picks. Do It!

This reminds me of the Bledsoe/Brady situation where Tommmy boy got his chance after Bledsoe got knocked out for a couple of games. The Pats went on to win the Superbowl and the rest is history. I feel bad for Alex Smith, but Harbaugh is a good coach and knows exactly what he is doing.