Mario Williams is the cancer that is dragging this Defense down

Although his teamates did not mention his name, it is obvious to me that they are calling Mario out now for not putting forth any effort "I don't care who you are".

He needs to be benched immediately to make a statement but we all know Chan will not go there. Hell, if his teammates see the effort he is putting forth and

knowing what he is making, don't you think that they are going to say - Why should I play 100% ?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF the problem with Mario all revolves around effort, benching him will not do any good. He has his "payday", and if because of that money, he has put it in cruise control, there is nothing the Bills can do except wait for a point in the contract where it becomes cost effective, and cut him.

It is mind boggling that Bills fans went from the highest of highs when Mario was signed, to today. :(

Edited by LabattBlue

IF the problem with Mario all revolves around effort, benching him will not do any good. He has his "payday", and if because of that money, he has put it in cruise control, there is nothing the Bills can do except wait for a point in the contract where it becomes cost effective, and cut him.

It is mind boggling that Bills fans went from the highest of highs when Mario was signed to today. :(

Why would it not do any good ? We would get someone in his place that wants to play. It would make a statement that if you are not going to put in 100% effort then sit down ! I think that the rest of the defense would respond positively.

there is nothing the Bills can do except wait for a point in the contract where it becomes cost effective, and cut him.

This.

And it !@#$ing sucks.

Why would it not do any good ? We would get someone in his place that wants to play. It would make a statement that if you are not going to put in 100% effort then sit down ! I think that the rest of the defense would respond positively.

I don't think any of the jokers with guaranteed contracts would give a damn if they play or not. They have their money, as far as they are concerned the fans and the city don't matter in the slightest.

This.

And it !@#$ing sucks.

I don't think any of the jokers with guaranteed contracts would give a damn if they play or not. They have their money, as far as they are concerned the fans and the city don't matter in the slightest.

Mario = Albert Hanneworth

This.

And it !@#$ing sucks.

well, if they are smart they care some. you know, for future contracts, endorsements, incentives they could still reach.... pride hopefully....

we will see what happens. very frustrating to watch this team currently.

Although his teamates did not mention his name, it is obvious to me that they are calling Mario out now for not putting forth any effort "I don't care who you are".

He needs to be benched immediately to make a statement but we all know Chan will not go there. Hell, if his teammates see the effort he is putting forth and

knowing what he is making, don't you think that they are going to say - Why should I play 100% ?

I don't doubt that he is "one of" the players they talk about, but there was an "s" at the end of player. He isn't the only one who isn't living up to the hype. Dareus has taken a major step backwards from his rookie season, he seemed like he was destined for the Pro Bowl this year, not even close. People on this board criticize Kelsay all the time, but if more of the players played with the heart and leadership he does, they might not be, once again, in the bottom 2 or 3 of defenses in the entire NFL.

Fans keep trying to point towards "the" problem.

There are several problems on this team.

Our coaches are stubborn and/or stupid.

Our quarterback sucks.

Our $100 million free agent doesn't appear to be making a full effort.

Our #3 overall pick from a year ago seems to be regressing.

Our linebackers are possibly the worst in the league.

Our young players are not getting better - especially our starting middle linebacker and one of the cornerbacks.

Our starting strong safety is suddenly a major liability.

Our new punter shanks kicks at the worst possible times.

Every single one of these issues is contributing to our team sucking. Mario Williams is only one player. If he is dragging everyone else down, they need to man up.

Our quarterback sucks.

Our young players are not getting better - especially our starting middle linebacker and one of the cornerbacks.

Every single one of these issues is contributing to our team sucking. Mario Williams is only one player. If he is dragging everyone else down, they need to man up.

Exactly, people want to point all the fingers at Mario Williams because he makes the most money, well that is a joke. The entire defense has sucked, every single player. Aaron Williams is the worst CB in the NFL. Gilmore is young and promising, but he has been toasted over and over. Dareus has been invisible. Kyle Williams, maybe playing the best of anyone on the defense, but still hasn't been as good as he has in the past. The defense can't tackle. I have never seen a defense leave the opponents best receiver wide open on a regular basis. Defense is a team game, and even if one or two players were playing great, with the rest of the defense sucking, the result is going to be sucktitude all the time.

So you would have run Julius Peppers out of Chicago too? MArio has started off better in Buffalo than Peppers did in Chicago!

Give it some time.

I watched some of Julius Peppers last night. Wow. That defense is fast. They make Buffalo look like they are running half speed. Then again, almost any defense make them look that way.

Mario Williams=Jarmacus Russel 2.0. Got his money, now he's lazy as crap and does not care. Someone should re-title the thread Williams=Russell.

Our quarterback sucks.

You have summarized well many of the problems. Mario is a huge one. These are other ones. A new HC would go a long way to solving these issues.

I wonder if they're talking about the play of some of our LBs or DBs... It's not Mario's job to cover the middle of the field 15 yards from scrimmage. Matt Hasselback, aka Bald Joe Montana, was hitting that part of the field like it talked dirty about his sister.

So you would have run Julius Peppers out of Chicago too? MArio has started off better in Buffalo than Peppers did in Chicago!

Give it some time.

Im in this camp.

WAAAAYYYYY too early to call him "the problem" or "the cancer."

It's funny how we all celebrated the Mario signing and it's actually bringing this defense down to "Historically" bad levels. One guy on the D-line dogging it hurts but couple that with some slow LB's and the DB's having a poor season just magnifies everything. One unit cannot cover for the shortcomings of another.

I watched some of Julius Peppers last night. Wow. That defense is fast. They make Buffalo look like they are running half speed. Then again, almost any defense make them look that way.

peppers had an awful first season there. sometimes these things take time. hopefully it sorts out.

peppers had an awful first season there. sometimes these things take time. hopefully it sorts out.

The sports landscape in ALL sports is littered with big time free agents that took a long time to settle in to their new teams and produce at a high level.

You gotta give Mario more time.

An interesting article from a Toronto hockey guy talking about the similarities between the Bills and Leafs and why losers keep losing.

http://editorinleaf....ses-remain-bad/

To paraphase one moral of the story, stating your accountable, and we'll look at what we're doing, means nothing if you do nothing to follow it up with action.

Accountability means the owner holds the GM accountable, the GM holds the HC accountable, the HQ holds his coaching staff and the players accountable. And the players hold each other accountable. And there are consequences to failure.

The fact that Kelsay, a player on the defense, has to step up and call people out for lack of effort means nobody in the organization above the level of players on the field is holding anyone accountable for what is going on here. While Mario's performance is an issue, IMO his situation is more a symptom of the problem than the cause of the problem. There a lots of players in the NFL with 'guaranteed' contracts and they are not coasting through the game each week. Ownership is soft, the front office is soft, the coaching staff is soft. So the players play soft too.

Years ago I remember seeing a note our VP sent to my boss on a recurring problem. It said 'get results now or I will!' Raplh needs to send one of those notes to Buddy, and Buddy needs to kick some coaching backside ASAP. This team needs to develop a mean and nasty attitude and carry that onto the field against the opposition on every play. You don't get there by making excuses and ducking the obvious.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Not making excuses for the guy...at all, as I believe he's done nothing to get the benefit of anyone's doubt, but I do know the LDE position (played it for many years at ahigh level). the "injury" he says he has is detrimental to the performance of a LDE. It's his "punch" hand, his leverage hand...every pass rush move is predicated on that hand. that being said, benching him makes sense...at least until he's healthy, right? He's a $100M investment, you don't run the guy out of town, you find a way to make him effective, give him the chance to get healthy. The guy is a tremendous player and he'll get back in the swing. It's unfortunate that anyone is pointing fingers at the players. Our coaching staff has no balls and too much pride...bottom line.

While I don't think Mario is this D's biggest issue, right now, Kyle Moore is the best DE on the team. He may not be the most talented, but he's playing hungry and he has made things happen late in the last 2 games. I've lost count of how many times he's gotten QB hurries and pressures with very limited playing time. If he doesn't start over Mario immediately, it's only based on that $100 million contract, not reality.

Not making excuses for the guy...at all, as I believe he's done nothing to get the benefit of anyone's doubt, but I do know the LDE position (played it for many years at ahigh level). the "injury" he says he has is detrimental to the performance of a LDE. It's his "punch" hand, his leverage hand...every pass rush move is predicated on that hand. that being said, benching him makes sense...at least until he's healthy, right? He's a $100M investment, you don't run the guy out of town, you find a way to make him effective, give him the chance to get healthy. The guy is a tremendous player and he'll get back in the swing. It's unfortunate that anyone is pointing fingers at the players. Our coaching staff has no balls and too much pride...bottom line.

Then start him as a RDE

It is clear as crystal, this idiot needs to get out of my city yesterday. He has reached all time despised player status in my book.

Wow. You work fast.

The fact that Kelsay, a player on the defense, has to step up and call people out for lack of effort means nobody in the organization above the level of players on the field is holding anyone accountable for what is going on here. While Mario's performance is an issue, IMO his situation is more a symptom of the problem than the cause of the problem. There a lots of players in the NFL with 'guaranteed' contracts and they are not coasting through the game each week. Ownership is soft, the front office is soft, the coaching staff is soft. So the players play soft too.

One of the things Kelsay said was that the message had been coming from the coaches and he hoped it would be heard differently coming from the players

Right ! It is all about attitude. You lookl at the Chicago D and you can just see the difference in the attitude of the players. And if attitude seems to be the issue, why is Wannstead 200 yards away up in the booth ? he should be down on the field in these players faces !

Give it some time.

Count me as another in this camp. Mario and the entire defense is not being put in situations to succeed and their play is reflective of that. The play calling is vanilla and atrocious.

Wanny is like the guy who buys a Ferrari but does not know how to drive a standard.

Right ! It is all about attitude. You lookl at the Chicago D and you can just see the difference in the attitude of the players. And if attitude seems to be the issue, why is Wannstead 200 yards away up in the booth ? he should be down on the field in these players faces !

THIS is the one thing Chan needs to do. Bring Wanny down to the field.

This isn't high school or pop warner.

You can't motivate a pro football player except with money. He's got that.

Has it occured to anyone that Mario isn;t that good anymore?

This isn't high school or pop warner.

You can't motivate a pro football player except with money. He's got that.

Has it occured to anyone that Mario isn;t that good anymore?

The guy has talent.

As said previously in this thread, he is preforming better at this point in the season than Peppers was in Chicago. And think about the fact that Peppers was coming into a defense that was ranked much much higher than the Bills defense.

I wonder if they're talking about the play of some of our LBs or DBs... It's not Mario's job to cover the middle of the field 15 yards from scrimmage. Matt Hasselback, aka Bald Joe Montana, was hitting that part of the field like it talked dirty about his sister.

No, Unfortunately though are genius coaches tried to have Kyle Williams drop back into coverage a few times last week. He's a quick bull-rusher and we've got him dropping into coverage. Give ne a break!!! :wallbash:

Im in this camp.

WAAAAYYYYY too early to call him "the problem" or "the cancer."

The voice of reason...where you least expect it! :nana:

Sometimes I am not sure what is worse...the Bills, or the hysteria (good or bad) that ensues every develoment regarding the team.

Wannestadt is not an "in your face" kind of coach... he is a "player's coach", the stigma that dogged him in Miami.

Edited by Buftex

It is mind boggling that Bills fans went from the highest of highs when Mario was signed, to today. :(

You are right - benching MW won't change a thing. He wouldn't care and would enjoy the time off.

If he was a real football player, a leader with integrity, and was benched I guaratee you he wouldn't let it happen again. The guy plays with no heart and is a disgrace to this team and the NFL.

Edited by Azucho98