Jaws rates Fitz #30 of 32 Starting NFL QBs

Jaws obviously hasn't watched the film. Fitz has been better than Cassel, Weeden, Romo, Sanchez, Kolb, Palmer, Russell, Tannehill, Locker, Newton, Stafford.

No doubt he has been out performed by the likes of Brady, Big Ben, Eli, Peyton, Cutler, Rodgers, Rivers, Dalton, Smith, Ponder, RG3, Luck.

I'd rank Fitz in the top 20 around 19. He'd be even higher if not for his 2 late game picks against New England in garbage time.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaws obviously hasn't watched the film. Fitz has been better than Cassel, Weeden, Romo, Sanchez, Kolb, Palmer, Russell, Tannehill, Locker, Newton, Stafford.

No doubt he has been out performed by the likes of Brady, Big Ben, Eli, Peyton, Cutler, Rodgers, Rivers, Dalton, Smith, Ponder, RG3, Luck.

I'd rank Fitz in the top 20 around 19. He'd be even higher if not for his 2 late game picks against New England in garbage time.

NO he is not. He may lead the league in TD's, but 4 have come in garbage time (if you are going to count Garbage time INT's), and 3 were on screen/dump passes with a lot YAC yards by the receiver. I would take any of those QB's minus Sanchez over FItz.

Edited by CountDorkula

Ok, you guys have NO CLUE to what a ranking is do you. It makes sense now...let me help you people understand what Jaws ranked. He did not rank them BY STATS! If you want a stats ranking go to ESPN.com and sort the QB's by whatever stats you want. He ranked them on who he feels is an actual better QB based on potential, past success, current success, etc.

No one in the world would ever choose Fitz over Stafford, Newton, etc....but you just disagreed that Stafford, Newton, etc should be ranked higher because of stats (which are fools gold on Fitz as he compiles a lot of them in garbage time). No GM in the NFL would choose Fitz over most of the people on your list.

WRONG again. There is no argument using numbers that will convince anyone Fitz is a better QB than Vick. I dont like Vick, but there is no doubt he is a more talented QB than Fitz and he has a better track record to prove it. He has been struggling this year, but he has also rallied his team to wins and has proven over his career he can play at a high level and WIN in this league, where as Fitz sucks again, just like every year of his career and LOSES us games rather than wins us games.

Not sure what you've been watching or what criteria you've used, but Vick hasn't done a good job of being an NFL quarterback since 2010. Even his adopted father, Andy Reid, is dropping hints about possibly replacing him with Foles. I live in the heart of Eagles country and I can tell you that sports talk radio down here is very critical of Vick and his slipping performance level over the past year-plus. Coincidentally, not too long after he signed his big contract. Sound familiar?

But, go on believing what you will.

Not sure what you've been watching or what criteria you've used, but Vick hasn't done a good job of being an NFL quarterback since 2010. Even his adopted father, Andy Reid, is dropping hints about possibly replacing him with Foles. I live in the heart of Eagles country and I can tell you that sports talk radio down here is very critical of Vick and his slipping performance level over the past year-plus. Coincidentally, not too long after he signed his big contract. Sound familiar?

That Eagles O line is down right terrible. I watch Eagles games, I haev a certain fondness of them. Vick is getting beaten every game. He is sporing a Kevlar vest for petes sake. Has he been good this year, no. But previous stats suggest he will get on track and put up decent numbers. Vick has always been carelss with teh ball but he is a 2 demensional QB.

Teams go into Eagles games with Gameplans to Limit Vick's 2 demensional game. Teams go into Bills games thinking make Fitz throw the ball and we will get our chances.

Please show me where I said Vick was a good QB. I compared him to Fitz...not the rest of the NFL. I dont even like Vick, but he has at least proven he can win games in the NFL, be a pro bowler, and be a better all around weapon while Fitz has proven time in and time again that he is a journeryman QB who can once in a while get hot in PARTS of a game while being bad far too often.

Edited by Alphadawg7

That Eagles O line is down right terrible. I watch Eagles games, I haev a certain fondness of them. Vick is getting beaten every game. He is sporing a Kevlar vest for petes sake. Has he been good this year, no. But previous stats suggest he will get on track and put up decent numbers. Vick has always been carelss with teh ball but he is a 2 demensional QB.

Teams go into Eagles games with Gameplans to Limit Vick's 2 demensional game. Teams go into Bills games thinking make Fitz throw the ball and we will get our chances.

Good points on Vick. Imagine if an average NFL QB were afforded the kind of protection and throwing lanes that Fitz has had this year where he's missed on several throws that would have lead to drive sustaining plays or TDs in some cases.

Looking at the talent that the Bills have at their disposal on Offense and the plays that Chan has drawn up, a more fundamentally sound QB would have the Bills at least at 3-1.

Fitz just isn't good enough. Statistics be damned!!!

Can we get through one discussion of another team's QB without blaming their troubles on everything other than that QB? Many of you just don't want to be fair when we have discussions. Fitz has a bad game and no one is allowed to bring up the defense or the play calling or the dropped passes, etc. Otherwise they're Fitz homers. But, when Cutler or Romo or Vick come up, it's a laundry list of excuses.

Not saying Fitz is a model QB, but neither are most of these other guys that some people talk about dreamily. If he were QB in Buffalo, I wager 75% of you would be looking to toss him off the Peace Bridge after a 4-INT game or "taking" 5 sacks, etc.

Vick has played some downright garbage games this year...and last year...and late 2010...etc. The "proven track record" thing also doesn't do it for me. What has he won recently? He is a on a team blessed with offensive talent and a top-3 RB, but where have the results been? Now, if you want to put the blame on Andy Reid for his atrocious play calling, I might give you a mulligan. But, for someone who is so blessed with talent, ought we stop making so many excuses?

hes more 15-20... i mean come on.

Based on what? You just pick an arbirtray number? How can you put him at say 15 and justify him being ahead of some of the guys that would be lower than that? There is no logical justification anywhere that could put him anywhere in the teens at this point, let alone 15. I would not rank him 30, but it definitely wouldnt be any higher than 24 and thats being very generous. I did my own ranking and had him at 27.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Can we get through one discussion of another team's QB without blaming their troubles on everything other than that QB? Many of you just don't want to be fair when we have discussions. Fitz has a bad game and no one is allowed to bring up the defense or the play calling or the dropped passes, etc. Otherwise they're Fitz homers. But, when Cutler or Romo or Vick come up, it's a laundry list of excuses.

Not saying Fitz is a model QB, but neither are most of these other guys that some people talk about dreamily. If he were QB in Buffalo, I wager 75% of you would be looking to toss him off the Peace Bridge after a 4-INT game or "taking" 5 sacks, etc.

Vick has played some downright garbage games this year...and last year...and late 2010...etc. The "proven track record" thing also doesn't do it for me. What has he won recently? He is a on a team blessed with offensive talent and a top-3 RB, but where have the results been? Now, if you want to put the blame on Andy Reid for his atrocious play calling, I might give you a mulligan. But, for someone who is so blessed with talent, ought we stop making so many excuses?

You can say all the same things about Fitz, except FItz is on a team with a better O line and TWO top 5-10 running backs. Andy Reid has a lot to do with the Eagles and how bad they are. Lesean McCoy is probably the best open field back there is in the game today, yet he never runs the damn ball.

You can say all the same things about Fitz, except FItz is on a team with a better O line and TWO top 5-10 running backs. Andy Reid has a lot to do with the Eagles and how bad they are. Lesean McCoy is probably the best open field back there is in the game today, yet he never runs the damn ball.

Agreed

The disdain for Fitz and his shortcomings and/or "low ceiling" among roughly half of Bills fans pretty much matches the current feelings of half of Cowboys fans towards Romo, half of Philly fans towards Vick, and half of Jets fans toward Sanchez. OK maybe 75% of Jets fans since everyone loves Tebow before he actually takes snaps and shows his limitations and slingshot release.

Additionally, I will say that probably half of Ravens fans whined about Flacco up until this year, and half of Falcons fans thought Ryan would never get it done until now. They have now been as quiet as those "Eli is no Peyton" crowd as of lately. Good, consistent NFL QBs are so very damn hard to find.

Flutie aside, I still favor Fitzy over all the bums and wusses we have anointed since Jimbo because he is a tougher, better leader than we have had. Deflects any credit and takes all of the blame, just like Jimbo or any respected veteran QB does. Plus who remembers the nasty shot he took from James Harrison shortly before launching the would-be game winning TD versus Pittsburgh that Stevie dropped?

I am not happy with his production since the contract, but he is not paid exhorbitantly as a starting NFL QB goes. I do hope they draft a guy fairly early next spring to groom under him, but I fully support Fitz in 2012. Do you really want to see Thigpen or T. Jackson? C'mon man.

I would bet big money you have seen nothing other than ESPN highlights for the most part of the Dolphins. And yes, one of my closet friends is a Dolphin fan and we watch our games together.

Would you like to know my logIn for NFL Rewind? Maybe then you can watch them yourself, again.

You would bet big money and be wrong. I watch lots of games. Hence why I have NFL rewind. Not that you'll believe me or I can prove it.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

The disdain for Fitz and his shortcomings and/or "low ceiling" among roughly half of Bills fans pretty much matches the current feelings of half of Cowboys fans towards Romo, half of Philly fans towards Vick, and half of Jets fans toward Sanchez. OK maybe 75% of Jets fans since everyone loves Tebow before he actually takes snaps and shows his limitations and slingshot release.

Additionally, I will say that probably half of Ravens fans whined about Flacco up until this year, and half of Falcons fans thought Ryan would never get it done until now. They have now been as quiet as those "Eli is no Peyton" crowd as of lately. Good, consistent NFL QBs are so very damn hard to find.

Flutie aside, I still favor Fitzy over all the bums and wusses we have anointed since Jimbo because he is a tougher, better leader than we have had. Deflects any credit and takes all of the blame, just like Jimbo or any respected veteran QB does. Plus who remembers the nasty shot he took from James Harrison shortly before launching the would-be game winning TD versus Pittsburgh that Stevie dropped?

I am not happy with his production since the contract, but he is not paid exhorbitantly as a starting NFL QB goes. I do hope they draft a guy fairly early next spring to groom under him, but I fully support Fitz in 2012. Do you really want to see Thigpen or T. Jackson? C'mon man.

Ummmmmm, Yea

Has Jaws seen what Sanchez or Romo are doing recently? I generally like Jaws' commentary, but every so often he comes up with something that makes me sit up and go "What the !@#$?"

Did you see waht Romo has done recently? the first 3 of those 5 picks v the Bears where all on the WRs, or what should have been ruled a sack/fumble. Maybe the last two were on him, idk I went to bed, but Romo had his O driving for a score and then his team let him down.

Who cares about Vick? This is a Fitz debate and his raw numbers aren't indicative of his performance. Can he throw the entire route tree? Nope, and Gailey doesn't ask him to. Does he turn it over? Yep, to the tune of 7 times in 4 games. Does he hit his receivers in stride? Not frequently enough and he tends to get his guys injured or they absorb big hits.

I have to say Chandler has proven me wrong in certain respects. I considered him a Buddy Nix bluelight special, but he's demonstrated decent hands and made some plays. He'll never run by anyone like a Jimmy Graham, but he's been reliable in the receiving game.

Which "part of the route tree" have you NOT seen Fitz throw? Technically, if he has poor accuracy he can't throw ANY part of the route tree. But I'd be interested in knowing which part of the tree Chan has made off limits. He has the green light on go routes so that's not it and that's one of the lowest percentage plays to begin with. Deep middle isn't so much off limits as it is a priority for defenses to take away for obvious reasons. So, what has Chan expressly prohibited him from throwing?

GO BILLS!!!

I find it amazing that people blame this current teams failures on Ryan, dude running a offense that is putting up more then 21 points a game. Has to deal with a defense that can't stop a cold but it's his fault we lose and not the ****ty defense that's in the field.

I find it amazing that people blame this current teams failures on Ryan, dude running a offense that is putting up more then 21 points a game. Has to deal with a defense that can't stop a cold but it's his fault we lose and not the ****ty defense that's in the field.

21 points for the Bills per game. In all fairness how many points is he putting up for the opposition (directly or indirectly) per game? That's part of the issue here.

Uhhhh he's has Tannehill ranked as the 2nd best QB in the AFC East. And this is what he says:

"It is incredible the way Tannehill not only has adapted to becoming an NFL quarterback, but simply just a quarterback overall. After all of his time playing wide receiver in college, I wondered if Tannehill could make the rapid transition. Through four games, it seems like he can and has."

Yet Tannehill is 1-3 as a starter..... Has 2 Tds to his 6 interceptions.... Has a completion 55.4%.... and has a passer rating of 66.4 which puts him as 2nd to last in the NFL.

But yea, he's definietly the 2nd best QB in the AFCE.

He's right. Tannehill is only 2nd to Brady in AFC East. Its funny how Fitz apologusts always use excuses like the oline, receivers etc etc for his poor performances, but won't cut any slack to s rookie with 4 career starts on a team in clear rebuild mode. And BTW on potential alone Wilson and definitely Weeden over Fitz. We've seen what Fitz can do and it aint much.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I think it's pretty clear that Fitz is not in the upper half of talent in the league, but at the same time, fitz is a veteran signal caller with guts and smarts those intangibles.... and once in a while can get hot. I am sure that Buddy and Company are looking for a QB and I am sure the deal for T. Jackson has implications in the Bills trying to improve without have to groom a rookie which will take some time unless you use a high #1 pick. We still need a Wideout that is dominant in the red zone. Stevie is good, and Chandler is a solid option but we need the Jump-baller type too...

I still say its not the offense or Fitz, but the porous defense! Even Special Teams hasn't been so special.... so its more than just Fitz, and as bad as Fitz has been, he has not lost a game for us.

Edited by UticaBill

But...but...but...Fitz has 7.4 YPA (15th in the league) and that's the most important QB statistic. Where's Edward's Arm when ya need him?

Which isn't good enough, Jaws rating or Fitz? (I know, I know, the OP means Fitz). But seriously - all the time I hear Jaws dissed as unbearable, now 'cuz he dumps on Fitz he's genius and knows what he's talking about? Smooching on Tannehill after 4 games his rookie season, and dumping on Fitz, seems bizarre to me, but Whatevs.

My $0.02, Fitz is a middle-of-the-pack QB until he proves otherwise - maybe upper middle, maybe lower middle. Right now he's in the bow-wow house for # of INTs - deservedly so, right along with Vick, Cutler, Cassel, Romo and oh yeah, Weedon and Tannehill. His completion percentage is way lower than it was last year, way lower than I want to see it - you know, down there at #22 4 slots above Tannehill, along with Vick Cutler Bradford Brees and Cutler. That doesn't matter only wins matter? Well, we're 2-2.

It's early in the season for stats to mean too much, other than INTs and fumbles....Fitz isn't playing as well as I'd like to see, in which he can take a number and join a line of guys wearing Bills uniforms.

I'm actually more interested in seeing whether the prediction on nfl.com that Schaub will have a hard time against the Jets secondary has any merit.

I don't see his leadership. I see him pouting on the sidelines after interceptions. He even pouts after interceptions while the play is going on. Great leadership. I don't see it. Is he a great leader because he was voted a team captain and his players say they believe in him? They said the same thing about JP and Trent. They say what they're supposed to say. After being overthrown multiple times while being wide open last week, you don't think Stevie was thinking "man, I wish I had a QB that throw an accurate pass CONSISTANTLY over 5 yards". I bet he wasn't thinking "it's ok fitz, you'll hit me next time, I believe in you". His body language showed it. To answer your question, yes, I'd love to see Tavaris Jackson as our starter. I know what fitz can do in a chan Gailey led offense and its unimpressive. 5 yard pass after five yard pass. Defenses challenging us to throw deep because they know fitz isn't consistent with the long ball, yet we rarely throw the deep ball. Why? Because gailey doesn't want him to or because Fitz is afraid to throw it. He's a "gunslinger" that slings 5 yards passes all over. It seems like Everytime he throws it 15 yards its a pick or off target. I don't know what tjack can do in a Gailey led offense. I'd like to see it. The alternative is making me ill

But...but...but...Fitz has 7.4 YPA (15th in the league) and that's the most important QB statistic. Where's Edward's Arm when ya need him?

Which isn't good enough, Jaws rating or Fitz? (I know, I know, the OP means Fitz). But seriously - all the time I hear Jaws dissed as unbearable, now 'cuz he dumps on Fitz he's genius and knows what he's talking about? Smooching on Tannehill after 4 games his rookie season, and dumping on Fitz, seems bizarre to me, but Whatevs.

My $0.02, Fitz is a middle-of-the-pack QB until he proves otherwise - maybe upper middle, maybe lower middle. Right now he's in the bow-wow house for # of INTs - deservedly so, right along with Vick, Cutler, Cassel, Romo and oh yeah, Weedon and Tannehill. His completion percentage is way lower than it was last year, way lower than I want to see it - you know, down there at #22 4 slots above Tannehill, along with Vick Cutler Bradford Brees and Cutler. That doesn't matter only wins matter? Well, we're 2-2.

It's early in the season for stats to mean too much, other than INTs and fumbles....Fitz isn't playing as well as I'd like to see, in which he can take a number and join a line of guys wearing Bills uniforms.

I'm actually more interested in seeing whether the prediction on nfl.com that Schaub will have a hard time against the Jets secondary has any merit.

> But...but...but...Fitz has 7.4 YPA (15th in the league) and that's the most important QB statistic. Where's Edward's Arm when ya need him?

Right here! :thumbsup:

Yes, his YPA is up for the year. But the underlying problem (his lack of accuracy) is still there. One would have to do some number crunching to determine why his YPA stat for the year does not correctly illuminate his lack of accuracy. Maybe the high YPA is because his receivers are giving him a lot of YAC yards. Maybe it's some other factor.

Unless he improves his accuracy, I would expect his YPA for the season to be significantly lower than it is right now.

> My $0.02, Fitz is a middle-of-the-pack QB until he proves otherwise

One of the reasons why the above is difficult to quantify is because Fitz is better than most NFL QBs at some aspects of the game--such as making quick, good decisions. He's worse than most QBs at other things--such as throwing the ball accurately. A lot of where you rank him depends on how much you value good decision-making versus throwing accuracy. We can get caught up in a four page debate about how our inadequate quarterback stacks up to other teams' inaccurate quarterbacks. Or we can come to a consensus that the Bills will not win a Super Bowl with Fitz under center.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

been saying it for 2 years now...BEST BACKUP IN THE LEAGUE.

You are INSANE if you think this team will ever get anywhere with Fitz as the QB. The Bills are soon to be, AT BEST, 3-6.

It makes me feel so sad for anyone that does not realize or cannot see how bad of a Quarterback Fitzpatrick really is.

"He is a leader, he has great character"...blah blah blah. Sure, but he is NOT a "winner". He will NOT be the QB of the Bills by year end and he will not be on the team next year.

been saying it for 2 years now...BEST BACKUP IN THE LEAGUE.

You are INSANE if you think this team will ever get anywhere with Fitz as the QB. The Bills are soon to be, AT BEST, 3-6.

It makes me feel so sad for anyone that does not realize or cannot see how bad of a Quarterback Fitzpatrick really is.

"He is a leader, he has great character"...blah blah blah. Sure, but he is NOT a "winner". He will NOT be the QB of the Bills by year end and he will not be on the team next year.

...and that is all the QBs fault, right? Maybe the other 52 guys in uniform, and the apparent incompetence of the coaching staff might also play a role in your thinking they will be 3-6 soon. :doh:

He's right. Tannehill is only 2nd to Brady in AFC East. Its funny how Fitz apologusts always use excuses like the oline, receivers etc etc for his poor performances, but won't cut any slack to s rookie with 4 career starts on a team in clear rebuild mode. And BTW on potential alone Wilson and definitely Weeden over Fitz. We've seen what Fitz can do and it aint much.

So now Tannehill/Weeden are allowed excuses? Amazing.

Fitzpatrick worked with a QB guru all during the offseason and has nothing to show for it. Something tells me there isn't any more room for improvement. He is what he is at this point. Don't get mad at Jaws because he was off by maybe 2 or 3 spots on the list.

That's right. And at this point he's the league leader in TD's with a 2-2 record. The sky is surely falling. :rolleyes:

Did you see waht Romo has done recently? the first 3 of those 5 picks v the Bears where all on the WRs, or what should have been ruled a sack/fumble. Maybe the last two were on him, idk I went to bed, but Romo had his O driving for a score and then his team let him down.

If people spent more time defending Bills players as much as they do the opponent's players this board would be a lot better. Your post is the perfect example of "grass is greener syndrome". wow.

Edited by bobobonators

Kind of hypocritical thinking don't you think?

You blame the Cowboys/Romos failures on the "team" and yet those similar failures for the Bills are all and solely blamed on Fitz and all his fault. Man, I can't believe people actually think like that.

If this ranking is all an opinion about "QB futures," much like a stock analysis, then I could respect it more. Probably not agree with it, but I'd be able to see where it's coming from. If it's about their production and their ability to help their team win in the here and now, then this ranking is way off base. There is a certain failure rate with every QB. I see it in every game I have ever watched. If you don't look at both the successes and failures and attempt to see how they balance out, then I won't respect your opinion. Until Fitz squanders a good/great defensive effort with some poor overall play, I will still believe he will help more than hurt their cause this year. We have 75% of the season left to see how the story develops.