Brian Moorman a Dallas Cowboy

JoeF

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeHaven doesn't trust his coverage unit, and probably hasn't since that Kerley TD punt return in the first game. So, instead of being on the hot seat, he tells Moorman to kick everything out of bounds? That's some brilliant ST coaching.

In a certain respect I admire DeHaven. The guy has proven to be a below-average ST coach, most well-known for the Music City Disaster, and he knows it. The solution? John Potter, who kicks everything through the endzone. And directional punts out of bounds. No more screw-ups on the kick coverage.

There's a difference between instructing a punter to punt it out of bounds and instructing him to place the ball between the sidelines and the hashmarks to narrow the field for the coverage team.

There's a difference between instructing a punter to punt it out of bounds and instructing him to place the ball between the sidelines and the hashmarks to narrow the field for the coverage team.

So, are what you suggesting is that DeHaven wanted Moorman just to angle it near the sideline, but keep it in bounds, and Moorman basically couldn't/didn't do that and just kicked it out of bounds?

So, are what you suggesting is that DeHaven wanted Moorman just to angle it near the sideline, but keep it in bounds, and Moorman basically couldn't/didn't do that and just kicked it out of bounds?

Could be, but jw added more fuel on the fire by hinting that DeHaven sandbagged Moorman in the Cleveland game.

There's a difference between kicking it out of bounds 45-50 yds. downfield, and pooching it out of bounds 25 yds. downfield, basically 15-25 yards.

That's my take anyway. I think alot of teams are trying to get away from guys returning punts, and instead focusing on directional kicking. Moorman looked to not be able to successfully do that, so what good would keeping him do?

Exactly. That's what directional punting is.

This is sort of inferential, but I think dehaven wanted moorman to kick the ball out of bounds the last 2 games because he didn't want any returns (we were playing again 2 good returners). I thought moorman did a nice job against KC and a so-so job against cleveland doing what I am presuming he was asked to do.

But, regardless, as I think more about it, how do they do cut him right before the patriots? It's possibly the worst timing. The risks of bringing a new punter and holder are huge, esp given the Bills' notorious bad luck.

This is sort of inferential, but I think dehaven wanted moorman to kick the ball out of bounds the last 2 games because he didn't want any returns (we were playing again 2 good returners). I thought moorman did a nice job against KC and a so-so job against cleveland doing what I am presuming he was asked to do.

But, regardless, as I think more about it, how do they do cut him right before the patriots? It's possibly the worst timing. The risks of bringing a new punter and holder are huge, esp given the Bills' notorious bad luck.

It's true, nix should account for bad luck and buffalo curses far more in his personnel choices

This confirms what we've seen.

DeHaven doesn't trust his coverage unit, and probably hasn't since that Kerley TD punt return in the first game. So, instead of being on the hot seat, he tells Moorman to kick everything out of bounds? That's some brilliant ST coaching.

In a certain respect I admire DeHaven. The guy has proven to be a below-average ST coach, most well-known for the Music City Disaster, and he knows it. The solution? John Potter, who kicks everything through the endzone. And directional punts out of bounds. No more screw-ups on the kick coverage.

You do know that directional punting doesnt mean simply kicking OOB, dont you? Its kicking outside the hashmarks to limit the return possibilities.

You do know that directional punting doesnt mean simply kicking OOB, dont you? Its kicking outside the hashmarks to limit the return possibilities.

Yeah, I get that. But I don't think (again, basing this on inferences) that's what he was asked to do in the last few games. Sounded like from the articles that I read that they didn't want any returns with these guys, not just pinning the guy near the sideline in order to better cover.

I am not one to second guess football decisions by any stretch. In the time it takes me to type this sentence, Buddy Nix will forget more about football than I'll ever know in my lifetime. But cutting a respected veteran and captain on the team the week of our biggest game of the season to date? Obviously one of the things our team has going for it is clubhouse chemistry, that's been clear pretty much since the beginning of the Chix regime. I really, really hope this doesn't backfire.

Congrats to Brian on landing with the Cowboys.

With respect to the Bills, I, and several others on this board, openly suggested Moorman's job was very much in doubt at the start of training camp. His numbers -- particularly net average and punts inside the 20 -- had been in steady decline and the Bills brought in a highly-regarded rookie in Powell.

To my surprise (and, truthfully, probably the Bills' as well), Moorman had a "lights out" camp (sorry Shawne) and preseason. I believe the Bills were ready and willing to give Moorman the boot, but they couldn't based upon his play this summer. Then, after seeing a pretty dismal performance during the first three games, they could finally make the move they wanted to make all along.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't for a second believe any of this "Dehaven didn't like him" b.s.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I don't for a second believe any of this "Dehaven didn't like him" b.s.

I don't think it was "not liking" him, but I wouldn't doubt that there was a disagreement over strategy. Gailey could have come right out and said there was no disagreement, but he was sort of cryptic about it (from bb.com):

On if releasing P Brian Moorman was due to him having a conflict with a coach:

I do not know if we would go that far. We all talked about it and we made the decision. It ultimately falls on me, but we made the decision that it was what we needed to do at this time.

I don't think it was "not liking" him, but I wouldn't doubt that there was a disagreement over strategy. Gailey could have come right out and said there was no disagreement, but he was sort of cryptic about it (from bb.com):

On if releasing P Brian Moorman was due to him having a conflict with a coach:

I do not know if we would go that far. We all talked about it and we made the decision. It ultimately falls on me, but we made the decision that it was what we needed to do at this time.

Yeah, but none of this makes sense if the very punter they brought in is also a "booming" kick sort of punter, which is how Powell is characterized.

This confirms what we've seen.

Only bad things have happened to the Bills on ST...In fact in all the yrs following the Bills in retrospect I cant remember one good play that won a game in the playoffs for the Bills on special teams concerning the kickers..Only ones that cost the game...

http://www.brianmoorman.org/

Class act all the way.

You can say that again!

People around the country know that Bills fans are passionate, but what they don't know is how big their hearts are. Year in and year out, I am amazed at how this community rallies to support any cause that rises up regardless of the region's economic struggles. That is the only reason why the P.U.N.T. Foundation has been able to help so many children with cancer, and why we will be able to continue to try and make their lives a little better. My wife Amber and I are committed to continue the P.U.N.T. Foundation's mission-- no matter where I land on my feet professionally-- and I hope that the community will continue to support the cause no matter where I am.

Finally, just thank you.

Thank you to Mr. Wilson, for being so kind and generous to me over the years. It has been an honor to play for your team and be a part of your organization.

Thank you to all of my fans, especially those of of you that have worn number 8 over the years (a special thanks to those kids that told me they wore them to school for me today).

Why would the Bills try to make him look bad?

PTR

Because they're like any other organization where an incompetent middle manager tries to cover up his shortcomings by blaming underlings?

Please remind me again about Bruce DeHaven's greatness when he didn't have Tasker & Pike on the roster.

From our resident Canadian lush scribe

"I don't want to say anything that would denigrate Brian in any way,'' DeHaven said. "He had a great career here. He's got a great reputation in town. The move has been made and I don't want to say anything that might be misconstrued as something negative about Brian, to be honest with you.''

Moorman's agent, Ron Raccuia, questioned DeHaven's comments.

In a text sent to The Associated Press, Raccuia wrote: "Now isn't the time to discuss Bruce DeHaven, but it's nice to hear that he's done saying things to denigrate Brian.''

Why is this such a big deal, many have asked. During the last 12 years we have had little, if anything, to be excited about. The fact that Bills fans often labeled our punter as "the best player on the team" is both sad (because of the inherent meaning behind punting) but also a testament to Moorman. The guy embraced WNY. He was the Bills. And he performed excellently.

Over dramatic? You bet. But to tell me a guy who spends less than a week on the market gets picked up by Jerry tells you something.

Were his best days behind him? Yes.

Did he deserve the respect (while in absolutely no way "harming" the team) to at least keep wearing a Bills jersey for the rest of this season? Holy **** YES.

Edited by stevestojan

Because they're like any other organization where an incompetent middle manager tries to cover up his shortcomings by blaming underlings?

Please remind me again about Bruce DeHaven's greatness when he didn't have Tasker & Pike on the roster.

Unreal. Very clear that DeHaven ousted him. Ridiculous.

Perhaps this move is representative of what has plagued the Bills for many years. The player talent is good enough to be respectable. It is the coaching and other behind the scenes activities that have been holding the team back.