Seems pretty quiet around here

5 Wide

I'm a bit perplexed, it's less than 3 days from the start of the season and there seems to bit a lull in activity around here. In 3 days, a season most of us haven't been this optimistic about in over a decade is about to start and all there is to be seen is a bunch of tempered enthusiasm. A hated division rival, on the road, to open the year, and all anyone is saying is, "well we need to prove it first", "i'm optimistic about our chances", "we'll see about the matchups".... Has all the losing really slowed the pulse of the fan base this much? I for one am stoked and am soaking up as much of this lead-in to the game as possible. Not trying for a rally cry here or anything, i'm just ready to see a fight on Sunday. I wanna see the boys from upstate march down to Jersey and rip some respect out of the Meadowlands. I'm ready for the Bills to stop being a punchline or a charity case and ready to start watching some meaningful football in November and December. I want the Ralph to stop being just a good place to drink with your friends and go back to being hell on earth for opposing teams. The road to redemption starts on Sunday and I'm damn ready for it to begin.

Let's Friggen Go Buffalo.

Edited by 5 Wide

I think for once in a long time the season really matters. In the Jauron days and the last two seasons under Chan we have always been a underdog, a team that was always a year away. So it didn't feel like too much was on the line for the Bills, if we lost hey we were expected to lose, and if we won well then hey.

But this year We are expected to make a serious bid for the playoffs. There is a lot on the line this season, If we go 6-10 or 7-9 we could be looking at a long road ahead of the franchise. But a 10-6 wildcard birth could be huge for the team. I have a lot of nervous energy for this season. And it doesn't help that our opener is against a team that we will likely be competing for in regards to a playoff spot.

Its a huge game, can't wait.

Yeah, I haven't been this worried about a season in awhile.But then again I'm only 20 and haven't seen too many seasons

Young fella. I was 20 when it seemed like an eternity watching Norwood line up that last second kick in the 1991 Superbowl vs. the Giants.....gray hair started that next morning. Look in Rite Aid and Walgreen's sales flyers each Sunday for "Just For Men" hair products and stock up///you'll need it for the next 20 years as a Bills Fan.

Most Bills fans know how important this game is, in terms of a division title. Like myself, I think most fans are still contemplating if the Bills did enough this off season to take the division.

Will the LBers be able to stop the run or will they let the team down?

Will Wannstache really build a top ten defense? Lord knows that there is 100 million reasons that the defense should be very improved.

Will having only one decent WR limit the offense again this year. (SJ now hampered again with a groin injury)

Will that 3rd round reach for TJ Graham have any impact at all?

Will the rookie LT need a few weeks of playing time before he settles into an all pro form, or fall on his face?

Will Fitz be able improve his play despite the team around him not greatly improving?

Do the Bills have enough depth to survive if they have another year of rash injuries everywhere?

Will Chan Gailey call nothing but 4-5 WR sets and forget the run game again?

Will Bills fans see "the light of day"? Will they see that proverbial baby?

So many questions to be answered, all we can do is wait....

There's definitely a different feel to this season, and it's reflective here on the board.

I think when a team finally has legit playoff possibilities, the reaction to a season opening division game on the road becomes more of a " finished product first" reaction as opposed to a typical "we're gonna kill 'em" rant.

That and maybe people are growing sick of being left out on the ledge with their foot in their mouths...

Either way, I expect the Bills to win convincingly Sunday afternoon, or so says my prediction post.

Most Bills fans know how important this game is, in terms of a division title. Like myself, I think most fans are still contemplating if the Bills did enough this off season to take the division.

Will the LBers be able to stop the run or will they let the team down?

Will Wannstache really build a top ten defense? Lord knows that there is 100 million reasons that the defense should be very improved.

Will having only one decent WR limit the offense again this year. (SJ now hampered again with a groin injury)

Will that 3rd round reach for TJ Graham have any impact at all?

Will the rookie LT need a few weeks of playing time before he settles into an all pro form, or fall on his face?

Will Fitz be able improve his play despite the team around him not greatly improving?

Do the Bills have enough depth to survive if they have another year of rash injuries everywhere?

Will Chan Gailey call nothing but 4-5 WR sets and forget the run game again?

Will Bills fans see "the light of day"? Will they see that proverbial baby?

So many questions to be answered, all we can do is wait....

Good post. couldn't agree more with everything you just said!

I've noticed too, IT IS VERY QUIET around here these days.......WTF!

GO BILLS!

I call it the "First 5 game blues" Even if the Bills win 5 straight it doesn't mean much because we have all seen it before. A nice start just to miss the playoffs.

Kind of puts the damper on the beginning of the season.

Edited by HOUSE

Like I said in the pregame rituals thread, I've been sitting on the floor all week, hugging my knees to my chest, rocking back and forth repeating my mantra: "Do a good job, do a good job, do a good job..."

No time for the Internet when you have the neuroses of a Bills fan.

We're !@#$ing terrified.

This. I mean I always get nervous but like others have said this year is just different. With all the activity this offseason, the optimism, the hype it would be so devastating to have another clunker of a season. Hell if we finish with a winning record and are still playing for a playoff spot with a week or 2 left I'll probably be ok with it if we are seeing progress that can be built on. I really just want to have some fun this season and still be relavent in mid December. I want playoffs bad but I guess I just have that "set low expectations" mentality that comes with being a Bills fan. Having said that, by the second quarter Sunday I'll be convinced were either going to win the Super Bowl or finish 3-13. Go Bills!

I'm a bit perplexed, it's less than 3 days from the start of the season and there seems to bit a lull in activity around here. In 3 days, a season most of us haven't been this optimistic about in over a decade is about to start and all there is to be seen is a bunch of tempered enthusiasm. A hated division rival, on the road, to open the year, and all anyone is saying is, "well we need to prove it first", "i'm optimistic about our chances", "we'll see about the matchups".... Has all the losing really slowed the pulse of the fan base this much? I for one am stoked and am soaking up as much of this lead-in to the game as possible. Not trying for a rally cry here or anything, i'm just ready to see a fight on Sunday. I wanna see the boys from upstate march down to Jersey and rip some respect out of the Meadowlands. I'm ready for the Bills to stop being a punchline or a charity case and ready to start watching some meaningful football in November and December. I want the Ralph to stop being just a good place to drink with your friends and go back to being hell on earth for opposing teams. The road to redemption starts on Sunday and I'm damn ready for it to begin.

when you lose and lose bad for so many years, the talk gets old. its time to shut up and win..

Had my first Bills dream in quite a while and the Jets stomped us. I want a win so badly heading into that home opener and I just hope they can pull it off. I want the crowd in old school mode and a win would go soooo far to make that happen (especially a statement win).

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

I'm not excited because the Bills havent proven anything. They have to show me they can win in both the first and second halves of the season

How can you not be excited about the return of Bills football. Temper your expectations all you want but, I don't see how you can't be excited about the return of Bills football.

Traffic on this site seems down in the whole. Is another message board taking over?

I think that people are just tired of discussion. Just a feeling… not really sure.

I was gonna start a live game thread on the Giants and Dallas because those are always fun but I got distracted by something else.

Yea we're optimistic but at the same time we are nervous and scared to optimistic, at least for us Bills fans who have been her for decades. Alot of people would rather take the viewpoint of I would rather be surprised in a good way then to be overly optimistic and be disappointed-AGAIN!

Speaking only for myself, I haven't really thought about too much else this week other than the game Sunday...totally neglecting work/family/etc..you know, all the stuff that doesn't really matter.

As for the lack of action here, I agree. It's been quiet. I think that's more just a combination of nervous paralysis and the fact we have hashed and rehashed every imaginable topic already.

Adding to what others have said, it's not just that we've hashed and rehashed every imaginable topic, it's that we've already discussed them to death. :thumbsup: I'd love it if someone posted some new analysis that makes me feel optimistic, but don't expect it to happen.

The recent articles on the o-line and Steve's groin are successfully lowering my expectations. They are likely just prudent PR moves and don't mean we're worse off than we knew already. But, I'm expecting a bit less on Sunday than I was before.

I'm so exceited to see a real game it's going to be hard to get through the next couple days doing justice to the activities I take on.

I'm loud and proud. I have my bet in for the Jets to cover and I already know how I'm spending my winnings.

woo hoo

Close game in the first half and then the Bills lie down and it's over. Rinse and repeat. Same thing we've seen for over a decade. Nothing's really changed this year. We're using a backup QB as our starter, we have no Oline and therfore no rush, and we have an average D.

I suppose this could be one of those years where we rattle off five early wins and then go 6-10 for the year. I truly feel for BUF sports fans this year. No Bills team (again) and a likely hockey lockout. Time to plan for that big indoor renovation project. You'll have the time and money this winter.

I call it the "First 5 game blues" Even if the Bills win 5 straight it doesn't mean much because we have all seen it before. A nice start just to miss the playoffs.

Kind of puts the damper on the beginning of the season.

It won't take 5 games! This board, along with all Bills fans enthusiasm will explode should they beat the Jets on Sunday. The higher the Bills score the more enthusiastic everyone will be.

Conversely, should the Bills lose badly...you can expect a fleet of WWWWAmbulances to converge on two Bills drive.

Sunday feels like its 2 weeks away..

I have been trying to think of ways to alter physics so that Sunday can get here faster. :)

I'm wondering if Jones can be a legit number two on this team?

I'm wondering if Nelson brings it Sunday?

Can Fitz get the baal to TJ downfield, does he trust him enough to throw it up and ahead of him?

Will Chandler and Dickerson play solid?

Will our Oline hold up on pass rush and can they beast on running plays?

Will we see the CJ and Freddie of last year? Will Freddie lead the team in yards?

Will Mario and the Dline live up to the hype?

Will our LB's spoil the party for us?

Can our DB's cover man?

Can we contain Tebow and force the throws?

All important questions for a successful season.

Go Bills!! Please for the love of God (YOU see I'm not a democrat.. LOL) Beat the Jets!

Tim-

I'm really excited, but I think I am more nervous than anything. I mean I'm so nervous, that a couple days ago I was think about the game, and I had a laughing fit because my body couldn't cope with all the stress. But I have a right to be nervous because I am young. I have never seen the Bills good, except for 1999, but I was still very little. So now for the Bills to be "good" I can't imagine what its like because I have never seen it, I hope this season turns that all around!