Kenneth Davis - remember him?

I loved Kenneth Davis. His red-zone game play was a huge compliment to Thurman Thomas, and a huge part of our success during our Super Bowl runs. As in so many other ways the Bill's K-Gun and offensive rotation was years ahead of it's time, sharing carries between the two great backs.

I'll always miss seeing his #23 coming out of the backfield. One of my all-time favorite lunch-pail Bills.

I loved Kenneth Davis. His red-zone game play was a huge compliment to Thurman Thomas, and a huge part of our success during our Super Bowl runs. As in so many other ways the Bill's K-Gun and offensive rotation was years ahead of it's time, sharing carries between the two great backs.

I'll always miss seeing his #23 coming out of the backfield. One of my all-time favorite lunch-pail Bills.

+1 and don't forget about Rob Riddick either!

Whew! I'm so glad.

I was waiting for either a.) He died

or

b.) He was arrested for some drug/ weapon or drug and weapons charge.

Nice to know another class act is doing well for himself. :thumbsup:

He was the perfect compliment to the thurmanator...the offense and running game never seemed to miss a beat when kennith Davis was in there.

He was a great Bill. He seemed to be able to get some nice runs and yardage, anytime his number was called. He was a huge player for big games and never let the team down.

I loved Kenny. He was not as pretty a runner as Thurman was, but I think he actually had a better burst.

He was quicker through the holes at the line. One of his best games was against Atlanta where he rushed for 181 on 20 carries and Thomas had 103 on 13 carries.

According to WGR:

Thurman also talked about the running back position and remarked how the presence of both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller reminds him of when he and Kenneth Davis were partners in the backfield. As were many Bills fans, Thomas was impressed with Spiller’s performance last season after Jackson went down with a season ending injury in week 11.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Was key player in one of best games I went to see in person. Against the Redskins he was on fire on both him and Thomas had over 100 yards rushing, but Kenneth's runs were more impressive to watch, as they were after Bills had lead and were just running every down to run out clock. He was breaking tackles like crazy and was dragging people with him.

Was a great compliment with his style. Bills got lucky to get a player like him off freeagency at time.

Kenny was great! Though he did have somewhat of a funny stride, but always got downfield quick. Great Bill!

I was going to say that he had one of the funniest running styles. Didn't really seem to lift his legs/knees. Almost looked like he was walking really, really fast.

wasn't kenny d. on an SI cover during the '93 super-bowl run? i was looking for it online but i couldn't find it. or maybe it was the feature photo for the article inside the magazine...i am thinking it was the fish game?

anyone else remember this?

at any rate he is one of the underappreciated Bills of that era.

Often forgotten is that he, along with Frank Reich were instrumental in the famous comeback win over the Oilers. Thurman, Kelly, and Bennett were all sidelined for that game. Davis was the perfect role player and the chemistry that Polian brought to the Bills were the reason they were so successful.

Whew! I'm so glad.

I was waiting for either a.) He died

or

b.) He was arrested for some drug/ weapon or drug and weapons charge.

Nice to know another class act is doing well for himself. :thumbsup:

+1

A little more about Kenneth Davis with these excerpts from my book about the Bills: “Then Levy Said to Kelly…”.

Plan B was K.D.

Elijah Pitts was a standout player, a terrific coach, and when Kenneth Davis showed up at Rich Stadium during the

1989 Plan B free-agency period, he proved to be an outstanding recruiter as well. His candor attracted and impressed the fourth-year running back.

"I think coming in and talking with him, he was being real honest with me and frank about what was going on and where the organization was trying to go with their athletes," said Davis, who had spent the previous three seasons with Green Bay. "And letting me know that he did have other guys that were ahead of me [on the depth chart]. He would give me an opportunity to compete, but also an opportunity to contribute to a team that he felt was going to do a lot of great things.

"He didn’t mention any specific role [i would have with the Bills]. He just told me that he felt that we had a good, young team that was going to be successful and that I could be an integral part of that success. He didn’t know how much or how little. That’s something that he couldn’t promise me. He said that those opportunities would be left up to me."

Davis accepted Buffalo’s offer and joined the team, which had just made it to the AFC Championship Game and had a solid running back in Thurman Thomas, who would be entering only his second season. Certainly, he knew he would be second string, but with his attitude, that did not bother him.

"To be able to have an individual come off the bench and go in there and make some plays and make some things happen, that’s part of being successful," Davis said. "You’ve got to be able to do what it takes to win by being a starter or a backup. I came off the bench, but I always prepared as a starter. I didn’t look at it any other way because I felt that when it was my time to go into the game, I was the starter! That’s the only way to look at it. You have to go in there and give your best because you don’t know what play is going to be the key play to win or lose the ballgame."

Role Player Rolled Out the Door

For six seasons, Bills running back Kenneth Davis was as reliable as duct tape. A backup to Thurman Thomas, he would have likely been a starter on many other NFL clubs. Yet he was happy with his role and was a sound contributor to the team’s four consecutive AFC championship titles.

And while he had many fine moments on the field during the regular seasons, Davis seemingly glowed during the playoffs: scoring three touchdowns against the Raiders in the 1990 AFC Championship Game; totaling 319 rushing yards during the four-game 1992 postseason; starting in Super Bowl XXVI when Thomas was temporarily helmetless; and leading the Bills in rushing in the following two Super Bowls. But during the 1995 off-season, Davis was reminded that professional football was not just about Xs and Os; it was at times a somewhat brutal business.

"I think one of the hardest things in my life was when the Bills told me they didn’t want me back. I felt I wasn’t through playing," said Davis, who originally signed with Buffalo as a Plan B free agent in 1989. "It was a decision that they made that they didn’t need me back or want me back or whatever. I went in to talk about the situation. What were we going to do about the season coming up? Were we going to start working on my contract now or later? John Butler said, ‘We’re not going to re-sign you.’

"When I left, John Butler pretty much knew that I really didn’t want to go play anywhere else. Maybe it was selfish or stupidity on my behalf, but that’s just how much I cared about the organization and playing under Coach Levy. I could have gone to a couple other teams; the Carolina Panthers offered me a contract. I didn’t take it. I just felt confined to Buffalo. It was where I wanted to be, where I had been. I didn’t want to be a player that just bounced all around the league. So I just got out. It was time to accept that and move on. Buffalo is a very special city to me. And it was a very special team."

LOVED KD! (Still do.) I'll always have fond memories of my first time at Rich Stadium for a Bills game and watching Kenny (181 yds., 2 TDs) and Thurman (103 yds.) and even Carwell (34 yds.) run roughshod over the Falcons. (Thanks to pro-football-reference.com for the exact stats.) I remember Kenny popping out for a long run from scrimmage (64 yds., I'm reminded).

I also remember Tasker wrapping and standing up Deion for the next man downfield on punt coverage to level after Deion had prime-timed on a kickoff return for a TD in a previous posession (it was already 0-38 in the 2nd quarter before that return). But that's a Tasker story, not a KD story. I digress.

Thanks, Kenneth Davis for being a Bill and for some great memories!