Jarius Byrd

NFL game rewind is amazing first off. I have watched every game several times and have come up with several conclusions. The first one is that Jarius Byrd will be the best safety in the NFL next season.

This guy is always around the football and knows where the ball is at all time, he never misses tackles and makes hard hits too. He is a pretty good blitzer too. Watching some of his highlight videos from last year in addition to the game film, he looks like Ed Reed. He makes plays and he is a difference maker. Mark my words, best safety in the NFL next year: Jarius Bryd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80WikC8l-4&feature=related

for comparrison

Slow down there buddy. I agree Byrd he has tremendous ball skills but his tackling while improved is still suspect. I expect he will have a good season if he can stay healthy. But let's not put in him Ed Reed's class who's a first ballot hall of famer. That's just being a delusional bills fan not seeing things objectively.

Edited by Mr. Wonderful

Slow down there buddy. I agree Byrd he has tremendous ball skills but his tackling while improved is still suspect. I expect he will have a good season if he can stay healthy. But let's not put in him Ed Reed's class who's a first ballot hall of famer. That's just being a delusional bills fan not seeing things objectively.

Byrd isn't there yet but he's going to be. he has played well for 3 seasons and now with that pass rush Ed reed has had his whole career in front of him, he will be even better

You might be acting like a little bit of a homer as far as BEST in the NFL this coming year. But I would say one of the better ones and in the conversation. He played amazing last year. He's 2 for 3 as far as really good years in this league. I do believe he will be one of the best in the league, just not sure it will be this year already. I do have to give DJ some credit for drafting Byrd. With the exception of Maybin, that 09' draft was pretty darn good. Wood, Levitre, Byrd alone would be an a++ draft class.

Byrd is under-appreciated by many Bills fans due to his exception ball hawk skills in his rookie year and the diminishing returns in subsequent seasons. However, he has improved and excelled in so many other areas, many so small that they are easily forgotten once the play or game is over. However, those small things are what win games. One example would be Byrd tapping the ball out of Brandon Marshalls hands in the endzone. Small, not flashy, easily forgotten, but incredibly important.

pet peeve here but it's JAIRus not JarIUS. And while we're on the subject its MarceLL DaREUS not MarceL DarIUS.

You beat me to it Fluffhead, can we finally get his first name spelled correctly.

Byrd had a very good season in 2011, but I am not ready to put him in the Polamalu or Reed category yet. I am greatly pleased with his much improved tackling skills.

The potential to be a great safety is there, and it is vital that the Bills re-sign Byrd and Andy Levitre before they become UFA's. We need to keep players like them, if the Bills are going to have any success.

I don't know what he did, but he became a tackling machine last year. I'd take Troy P before him, but he really could be top 5.

At this point in his career Troy is not the player in pass coverage that he once was.. He is still a beast against the run and blitzing, but can't cover anywhere near as well as Byrd..

Byrd is a free safety and agree he has improved in his overall game where you will see our safety play as a real strength. This will be especially true given not only the rush, but having guys in their natural positions in the 4/3. Reed had that benefit, I agree so we'll see. Troy p. Is a strong safety so comparing apples to oranges. Now in a recent rating scale where one of those kind of sites rated strong safeties in the NFL, and those analysts placed George Wilson second in the NFL behind Troy P.

Can't wait to see some pics from these guys this year.

Go Bills!

NFL game rewind is amazing first off. I have watched every game several times and have come up with several conclusions. The first one is that Jarius Byrd will be the best safety in the NFL next season.

No wonder your cousin and you don't get along. I never see him doing retrospectives on Bills subjects… and you, Captain Hindsight still insist on making predictions.

C'mon man!

You beat me to it Fluffhead, can we finally get his first name spelled correctly?

Chris Kelsey (Kelsay) and Torrell Troup (Troupe) are currently preparing a reply to your question… stand by…

I have to agree with the OP. Byrd is everywhere. I watched an INT video from this past season, where every (almost every) Bills D INT was on it, and Byrd was almost always the lead blocker if he didn't have the ball. He is a great player and a great defender and as someone said, under-appreciated. :thumbsup:

I know this is supposed to be a highlight video but......... (my thoughts)

@ :10 - Horrible throw by Sanchez. I think anyone could have made that pick. Additionally he ran out of the end zone and only made it to about the 17.

@ :30 - Blind side blitz with no blocking. I hope any player could make that sack.

@ :43 - Decent tackle on speedster DeSean Jackson, however DeSean had already stopped forward progress and had no room to go anywhere

@ :54 - Another decent tackle, however, the RB was already stopped with no place to go. Line was collapsed with defenders everywhere.

@ 1:06 - Great hit! WR still held onto the ball. Maybe he shoulda tried for a pick or deflection. IMO this is more of a highlight for the receiver than Byrd.

@ 1:12 - Nice play.

@ 1:25 - What the hell is Byrd doing in this play. He taps the ball and the receiver loses control (a good thing). However, he seems to have no commitment to either hitting the receiver or going for the pick.

@ 1:28 - Byrd is late getting to the play. The receiver has already caught the ball and started moving down field. We are lucky he doesn't protect the ball and we get the turnover. Additionally, look at Byrd's tackle (or lack there of) here. He is using only his arms. Weak.

@ 1:52 - Wonderful pick. Poor throw.

@ 2:19 - Great open field tackle.

@ 2:29 - Nice blitz. Byrd came in unblocked with a lot of support.

@ 2:35 - great defense by Byrd.

@ 2:44 - Hahahahha. The receiver fell down. Easy Pick.

I know this post makes me look like a hater, however for a highlight video this looks like any safety in the league. 90% of these highlights are from C grade quarterbacks. If this video displays our "#1 safety in the league" I am signing up to play in the NFL next year.

I think at the very least he is one to watch this year beyond the new additions, and has the potential to have a pro bowl season. Who's to argue though that he shouldn't be considered a top 5 safety in the league if his solid play continues this year?

If an over exposed clown like Whitner can be considered good for the 49ers, just think what Byrd can do now that he has a pass rush to assist him.

I've said a few times he was our best player on Defense last year. I don't think he'll be the best S next year, but top 5 is OK for me.

The one highlight I really remember was when McCoy had like a 30yd run and Byrd absolutely blew him up in the open field. I know it was a huge gain, but it was a snapshot into how much his tackling has improved.

ProFootballFocus has Byrd as the #3 overall Safety right now.

1 Troy Polamalu PIT

2 Adrian Wilson ARZ

3 Jairus Byrd BUF

4 Eric Weddle SD

In pass coverage, they have him #2 to Wilson.

Byrd comes up lower in run coverage. I'd say Weddle and Adrian Wilson are in the conversation for overall best.

Edited by Astrobot

I don't know - it's like comparing great fighters, or WR's, or even RB's - people are always going to prefer one style or package over another. There are some very talented Safeties in the NFL this coming season. Chiefs have Berry, who I think might end up being the "best" safety, or the safety most others in the NFL are compared to. It is such a crucial position, especially now, in todays NFL, when teams are passing so much but also running out of those passing formations.

Anyway, the Bills - and other NFL teams - knew about Byrd coming out of college. He has done nothing but get better, and he has exceeded expectations, I think. We have a safety who is smart, is around the play a lot, who we all know can catch!, and who is now better than average at run defense and tackling. He is certainly set up, with the other defensive additions this year, to be in the pro-bowl as one of the top 5 or 6 at his position in the league.

I really am excited to see if he can regain some of the interception numbers. If he managed to come down with 7 or more interceptions this year, there's no doubt he'll be mentioned as a top safety. And if the Bills were smart, they'd do everything they can to lock up Byrd and Levitre before they just add to their proven history of consistency and push themselves into elite salary contention with great years.

Byrd isn't there yet but he's going to be. he has played well for 3 seasons and now with that pass rush Ed reed has had his whole career in front of him, he will be even better

this...also I can't remember the last free safety I've watched besides maybe ed reed that has the ball skills byrd has. HE really does have a nose for the ball and if you watch highlight videos of him, he really does have amazing recognition skills. With the dline causing the kind of hell that they should this year it would not surprise me to see double digit picks for him this year.

this...also I can't remember the last free safety I've watched besides maybe ed reed that has the ball skills byrd has. HE really does have a nose for the ball and if you watch highlight videos of him, he really does have amazing recognition skills. With the dline causing the kind of hell that they should this year it would not surprise me to see double digit picks for him this year.

AND you can see what excellent football instincts and athleticism he has when he gets the ball in his hands.

There's no doubt that if Byrd were to be used as a return man on special teams that he would be excellent at it.

ProFootballFocus has Byrd as the #3 overall Safety right now.

1 Troy Polamalu PIT

2 Adrian Wilson ARZ

3 Jairus Byrd BUF

4 Eric Weddle SD

In pass coverage, they have him #2 to Wilson.

Byrd comes up lower in run coverage. I'd say Weddle and Adrian Wilson are in the conversation for overall best.

I would question any survey that has Polamalu at the top. His skills have eroded horribly. He played in the bottom half of all safeties last year and was on the field in a playoff loss to Tebow in which he threw for over 300 yards. He is just not very good and living on reputation at this point.

I said all last year that as bad as our defense was with Byrd, it would have been down right frightening without him. Countless times he was the last man to beat and was never beaten. I don't think his tackling needs improvement still. He is the full package and our best defender. With Mario here that might not be the case, but it's damn close IMO. I realize everyone thinks Byrd is a good player but he's still underrated...