Fitzpatrick bandwagon

Since the second half of last season I have been critical of Fitzy's arm strength and accuracy. However with QB coach Lee working on his mechanics for the first time ever I am hopeful that he can overcome his flaws and be the franchise QB that we have long waited for because he has decision making and mobility of the top QBs already. I was on the bandwagon last year because I wanted Fitz to be good but then reality hit and got thrown off like a bad accident with no seatbelt. So now I'm officially back on, don't let me down Fitz. 0:)

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Since the second half of last season I have been critical of Fitzy's arm strength and accuracy. However with QB coach Lee working on his mechanics for the first time ever I am hopeful that he can overcome his flaws and be the franchise QB that we have long waited for because he has decision making and mobility of the top QBs already. I was on the bandwagon last year because I wanted Fitz to be good but then reality hit and got thrown off like a bad accident with no seatbelt. So now I'm officially back on, don't let me down Fitz. 0:)

I think we all hope he can improve. He shows flashes of being really good and then he makes some really bad throws at very inopportune times. Hopefully the coaching will help his mechanics and he can get better.

You're taking into consideration the broken rib in the second half of last season, right? The work on his mechanics should help--making a throw to the left with more accuracy = fewer DBs jumping the route and taking it to the house. Right there with you on wanting him to be the guy. He's got that workmanlike quality that fits the Bills and Buffalo. Save me some room on the FitzWagon--I'm climbing back on with my #12 jersey.

I just don't ever see him throwin the ball like a Brady,manning, Rodgers, etc. where we're ultimately headed with him I just don't know.

No, you're right. And there 20+ other teams in the league that would say the same thing about their QB.

But is he "good enough?" I do think so.

Let's Hope! 0:)

Edited by CSBill

He played well during the first 7 games, until injury/injuries hit. If he's been throwing all this time without proper mechanics, there's reason to believe he can improve. This is the first time in his NFL career that he's had a full off-season as the undisputed starter going into a season.

I just don't ever see him throwin the ball like a Brady,manning, Rodgers, etc. where we're ultimately headed with him I just don't know.

Yeah, minus the fabulous hair, super-model wife, and 'lil Wes Welker to dink and dunk to 700 times a game, there is no way he can throw like a Brady. :lol:

Fitz didn't let me down last season, the play calling did! Then after the season when I found that Fitz was honestly injured during the Redskin game in week 8, it even magnified the situation in my view. How does the playcaller keep calling for shotgun, empty backfield 4-5 WR sets with one good WR and a banged up QB the last half of the season?

Even when RB Freddy Jackson was healthy and doing good during some games he was underutilized in games, as was Spiller later on. It seemed that every time the Bills would lose the lead the play caller would go in an all out desperation mode trying to catch up or get the lead. The opponent would then pin their ears back and blitz Fitz and go into constant nickle and dime coverages. So Fitz was constantly throwing right into the teeth of the defense. This constant pass happy tactic was the very last thing I expected out of an experienced NFL play caller and was exactly the same stuff we all saw with rookie OC's in Turk Schonert & AVP.

It was particularly disappointing considering how the season started with Fred Jackson dominating games on the ground. I realize the LT position was banged up early on, but it should be far easier to run block then to pass block.

The wheels came off completely against the Jets in week 9 when center Eric Wood went out for the year, the Bills were never the same after that game. It looked like opposing teams had figured out how to defend the Bills short, quick passing scheme and the Bills OC had no plan B, and didn't want to build a dedicated running attack. It was the same stuff almost every game after that, the Bills lose the lead and go into complete desperation passing mode, and don't use the running game very often.... even when its working very well.

I gotta hand it to Fitz that he was able to even play at all. Cracked ribs are the most painful injury, you can't even breathe. Every move is painful. I can't imagine trying to throw so much and so often. Both Fitz and Stevie Johnson get the iron-man award for last seasons gut it out performances while playing with very difficult injuries.

So since Tally whacker is a dolphin your back with Fitz? :nana:

Well there was a headline linked to tbd yesterday titled FITZ LEARNS HOW TO THROW. It's a Little late for that IMO. Put up or shut up or ride the pine is my advice for fitz. He is average, hopefully he plays well enough for buff to win. I root for the guy but he needs an arm replacement

His ribs....his wrs....his defense....no more excuses......Show me the money fitz !

Fitz is terrible prove me wrong ya bearded big bang theory castoff. Run run and then run again Chan

Well there was a headline linked to tbd yesterday titled FITZ LEARNS HOW TO THROW. It's a Little late for that IMO. Put up or shut up or ride the pine is my advice for fitz. He is average, hopefully he plays well enough for buff to win. I root for the guy but he needs an arm replacement

His ribs....his wrs....his defense....no more excuses......Show me the money baby fitz !

Fitz is terrible prove me wrong ya bearded big bang theory castoff. Run run and then run again Chan

I think that's the saying, right?

Edited by Teen Insight

See this is where I fundamentally disagree with the "bandwagoners" actually. His "decision making" is much more of a myth than a fact. People just assume he is this great decision maker because he went to Harvard and the staff says he is smart. This is a radical difference in being very intelligent (which I have no doubt he is) and a good decision maker. He makes a lot of POOR decisions on the field and it leads to a lot of turnovers, 3 and outs, incomplete passes, dropped gimme INT's by the D, bad sacks, etc. In fact, I would argue that its been his decision making a lot more than his arm strength that has led him to be such a high INT guy.

Frequently, he throws into double and triple coverage when better throws were there. Frequently, he makes a throw too soon or too late. Frequently, he tries to force throws to guys who are not open...etc, etc.

I would love to see this QB coach fix his mechanics, as that would be a big step in the right direction because he is woefully inconsistent with his accuracy. But to say his decision making is already among the top QB's around the league is just not true at this point. He needs to start making better decisions as well. I hope that a better all around team and better mechanics will help in his decision making where he can make smarter throws and not feel the need to push, but only way to know is to get out in the game with the bullets flying.

I remain cautiously optimistic, but still have a lot of concerns over him.

Edited by Alphadawg7

So since Tally whacker is a dolphin your back with Fitz? :nana:

Damn I came to this thread just to post this... beat me to it! B-)

As for Fitz I'm not on the bandwagon yet. Seems every time I climb on he falls off the wagon (see what I did there). Last year the injury def had an effect, as did the injuries around him but I've only ever seen flashes of him being good not long stretches (yes they went 5-2 last year but he wasn't good in all of those games i.e. Giants game). I want to believe and he plays for the Bills so he gets the benefit of the doubt but I'll wait to get on the bandwagon.

Maybe you missed out when Fitz played with cracked ribs last season. I know it's a lameass excuse and all. Did you also know Fitz went to Harvard?

PTR

Cracked ribs didn't do him any favors for sure. If Fitz can consistently hit the deep ball and keep defenses honest, I think he will have a big year. Obviously you need protection for the deep route to develop and receivers that can get off the line and actually catch.

Last year it seemed to me that opposing defenses dared Buff to beat them over the top. The Jets drew the blue print. Jam our WRs at the line, sit on the short routes, and blitz. Fitz isn't afraid to pull the trigger, but those passes need to be completed to back off the D and open up the underneath stuff that Fitz thrives on. A few of those passes went through D. Jones fingers, too many were badly underthrown.

Was it ribs, was it poor protection, poor receiver play, or is the deep ball Fitz's fatal flaw? All of the above? One thing is pretty clear, for the last 4 years, once theres a little game tape, defenses dare us to go deep and we haven't been able to make them pay.

Why does it feel like every year is the make or break year for a Bills QB, and after the season we are no closer to knowing whether the guy can play?

See this is where I fundamentally disagree with the "bandwagoners" actually. His "decision making" is much more of a myth than a fact. People just assume he is this great decision maker because he went to Harvard and the staff says he is smart. This is a radical difference in being very intelligent (which I have no doubt he is) and a good decision maker. He makes a lot of POOR decisions on the field and it leads to a lot of turnovers, 3 and outs, incomplete passes, dropped gimme INT's by the D, bad sacks, etc. In fact, I would argue that its been his decision making a lot more than his arm strength that has led him to be such a high INT guy.

Frequently, he throws into double and triple coverage when better throws were there. Frequently, he makes a throw too soon or too late. Frequently, he tries to force throws to guys who are not open...etc, etc.

I would love to see this QB coach fix his mechanics, as that would be a big step in the right direction because he is woefully inconsistent with his accuracy. But to say his decision making is already among the top QB's around the league is just not true at this point. He needs to start making better decisions as well. I hope that a better all around team and better mechanics will help in his decision making where he can make smarter throws and not feel the need to push, but only way to know is to get out in the game with the bullets flying.

I think it's more accurate to say he makes quick decisions. He gets the ball out quickly often and that helps keep the sacks down. But, yeah, sometimes you wonder what the heck he's doing.

He'll never be a Brady or Brees, but I do think he can a contributing member of a playoff team.

Muscle memory habits are very difficult to break. Just ask Tim Tebow. The thing is he may look terrific in practice, but in the heat of the moment revert back to those habits. He's not a rookie so those bad habits are embedded in him. He's going to have to work extremely hard this offseason if he wants to fix them.

I hope he truly breaks them and can throw with proper mechanics without thinking about it, because we really need him to.

I like Fitz and want him to succeed. I do keep remembering those two interceptions he threw against the Giants (this was before he had the rib injury). In both cases he was throwing to his left down the sideline; in both cases the receiver was open, in both cases he underthrew the ball and was intercepted. I don't think his feet were planted properly on those throws. It cost us the game, I think.

Likewise the underthrown ball in the fourth quarter against the Bears the previous season (though I believe that one was to the right).

So I think there are mechanical issues. If he can correct such errors it will make a huge difference.

The only time Brady has been able to throw the long ball was when he could just chuck it up to Moss

You're taking into consideration the broken rib in the second half of last season, right? The work on his mechanics should help--making a throw to the left with more accuracy = fewer DBs jumping the route and taking it to the house. Right there with you on wanting him to be the guy. He's got that workmanlike quality that fits the Bills and Buffalo. Save me some room on the FitzWagon--I'm climbing back on with my #12 jersey.

No, his throwing sucked the first half of the season too, He still had many knuckle balls and plenty of almost interceptions.

I also found it surprising that he never new how to throw correctly or where to go to fix his Mechanics. That's just nuts bc many fans a aware of QB mechanic coaches let alone an NFL player. Someone should have told him where to go or take some initiative himself to find out where to get better, that's what the best QBs do he should have too. I'm just glad Chan brought somebody in to straiten him out bc as he was we weren't going anywhere.

I'm impressed that he cares enough to get outside help with his throwing motion

Not really, if it wasn't for coach Lee he'd still be throwing like Tebow did. It amazes me for guy so smart he didn't seek out help sooner, Maybe he's a mental Diva where he thinks he is good enough and didn't need any help bc he thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

Muscle memory habits are very difficult to break. Just ask Tim Tebow. The thing is he may look terrific in practice, but in the heat of the moment revert back to those habits. He's not a rookie so those bad habits are embedded in him. He's going to have to work extremely hard this offseason if he wants to fix them.

I hope he truly breaks them and can throw with proper mechanics without thinking about it, because we really need him to.

Sush you'll jinx him.

No, him working on his Mechanics is my only hope that he gets better. It's gonna suck watching Tannehill win superbowls.

:lol:

Perhaps, If the guy lives long enough to fully develop. Lets not forget that this kid needs some time. Its for certain that tallywhacker is going to have good protections with 2 #1's at the tackle positions. The NFL is still a team game tho, I don't see a great team around any Dolphins QB at this point.

Wait, who is the star WR for the Phins?

Fitz is only going to be as good as the team around him! Will there be enough protection to allow deeper throws, and more time in the pocket? Will the Bills find a player that can step into that #2 WR spot and make some plays? Will the TE stay healthy all year?

Edited by Fear the Beard

No, his throwing sucked the first half of the season too, He still had many knuckle balls and plenty of almost interceptions.

I also found it surprising that he never new how to throw correctly or where to go to fix his Mechanics. That's just nuts bc many fans a aware of QB mechanic coaches let alone an NFL player. Someone should have told him where to go or take some initiative himself to find out where to get better, that's what the best QBs do he should have too. I'm just glad Chan brought somebody in to straiten him out bc as he was we weren't going anywhere.

He had 14 TDs and 7 INT in the first half of the season (including Washington game). Not Pro Bowl numbers, but I wouldn't say that his throwing "sucked." There are, and have been, plenty of winning quarterbacks with less-than-ideal mechanics. And just because fans are aware of QB mechanics coaches doesn't mean that every NFL QB uses one. When Fitz gets some help with the nuances, the knuckleballs and near-INTs will drop in frequency.

This is an NFL QB performing at a very high level, not some dub off the street. There are a lot of people on this board wondering about muscle memory and Fitz's ability to change old habits. That's all cr#p. He's a professional quarterback who is paid to throw TDs. If he improves his mechanics, he wins games and his bosses are happy. If he doesn't, he gets benched.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

I was encouraged in the practice highlights from Tuesday. He made the deep left sideline toss into double coverage. He over or under threw that route every time last year. Webster picked him twice in one game on that toss and chan mention throwing left was an issue with mechanics and footwork.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I have argued the opposite, going back to 2010, when I thought Fitz's at the line decision making made Chan look a lot better than he is as an OC.

Fitz has his limitations as we all see. Maybe he'll benefit from working with Lee (not sure who he has corrected mechanically in the past). We'll see.

This conversation reminds me of the continuing Kelsay discussion. There are seemingly three categories of fans:

1 -- Fitz can/will be a "top 15" QB if he stays healthy and has the weapons

2 -- Fitz is an average NFL QB with many limitations

3 -- Fitz sucks

I don't see anyone suggesting Fitz is great or "elite."

Fans in category #1 are encouraged by discussion of working on mechanics, and focus on the first seven weeks of 2011 as well as overall team health. Fans in category #2 think the first seven weeks of 2011 were somewhat lucky, and only mildly factor Fitz' rib injury and other injuries on offense into the 2nd half meltdown. Fans in category #3 think the first seven weeks were the result of crappy opponents' play, and the "real" Fitz is what we saw for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't see anyone changing their minds until the regular season is well under way.

This conversation reminds me of the continuing Kelsay discussion. There are seemingly three categories of fans:

3 -- Fitz sucks

Fans in category #1 are encouraged by discussion of working on mechanics, and focus on the first seven weeks of 2011 as well as overall team health. Fans in category #2 think the first seven weeks of 2011 were somewhat lucky, and only mildly factor Fitz' rib injury and other injuries on offense into the 2nd half meltdown. Fans in category #3 think the first seven weeks were the result of crappy opponents' play, and the "real" Fitz is what we saw for the 2nd half of the season.

I don't see anyone changing their minds until the regular season is well under way.

Good categories.

#1 here

3 -- Fitz sucks

Nailed this one on the head......I am #3 myself.

3 -- Fitz sucks

[/quote}

Hmmm, #1. Superbowl

#2. Cereal bowl

#3. Toilet bowl

Fitz is Cap't Crunch.