Sources: Bills looking to trade up

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Profootballtalk is reporting Bills want to trade up to 3 to get Kalil.

Totally logical as far as I'm concerned, and I suspect this is the first truthful thing we've heard about our draft plans all week. I think they see the draft as having fewer than 10 top-flight talents, and they feel like they can get the same type of talent a in the mid to late teens as they can at 10. Hence all the recent interest in players who make absolutely no sense for us, i.e., Tannehill and Barron, but who could interest a team looking to trade up with us or ahead of us to grab a guy we don't want and push our target or targets closer to our pick. To the extent we can't move back from 10, and to the extent Kalil is the guy the front office wants, it makes sense to take a shot at moving up to get him.

So let's see. The Bills first wanted to trade down...then they were obsessed with Gilmore ....then they were all about Barron....now they wanna trade up for kalil.

Either Buddy Nix is an evil mastermind or everyone finally is paying attention to the bills and no one knows wtf they are gonna do...

I'd love to believe both >:)

This is why PFT is starting to suck. With their immediate contradictions. They did the same thing during Free agency.

It's fun to read this time of year, but they lead you on a roller coaster of contradictions and then when draft day does come...the majority of the stories are false

So let's see. The Bills first wanted to trade down...then they were obsessed with Gilmore ....then they were all about Barron....now they wanna trade up for kalil.

Either Buddy Nix is an evil mastermind or everyone finally is paying attention to the bills and no one knows wtf they are gonna do...

I'd love to believe both >:)

This.

Scare the hell out of 14-18 and make them all think you are taking Barron, which builds value in the #10 pick.

Scare the hell out of 6 and make them think you will trade up and get Kalil, which means they may panic, and we get Blackmon.

Scare the hell out of 3 and make them think you won't offer more than a 2nd to trade up, which sets the bar too high for anybody else to trade up...per the DRAFT TRADE CHART. "Poison the well"!

I am liking this. Buddy is doing maximum damage from his position.

Speaking of wells, "Give them nothing. Take from them, everything!" Thwis is Thwparta!

People need to stop being negative about this post....the bills need a left tackle and have proven this off season that they are willing to make moves..is it such a stretch to believe that they would trade up 7 spots

I really, really wanted the Bills to come out of this draft with 3 starters - I though they could manage to get an OLB, a 2nd WR, and either a CB or a OT. If they give up their 2nd pick to move up for Kalil - at least we can just be done with these lines! I mean, what an offensive line we'd have! Kalil, Levitre, Wood, Ubrik, Hairston/Pears. That would be a very good, young line to grow together and it would give Buffalo one of the best Offensive and Defensive lines in football. You can go a ways with good lines - especially with the running backs we have...

but then it'd be up to our F.O. to get the WR/OLB/CB with the rest of the picks. I think we could land a WR in the 3rd - or an OLB.

Go Buffalo!

I feel like Ben Affleck in Good Will Hunting...

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen...you don't get it....reTAYYYYYYner....

I can't believe the amount of smoke this year. At least its interesting, I guess.

This.

Scare the hell out of 14-18 and make them all think you are taking Barron, which builds value in the #10 pick.

Scare the hell out of 6 and make them think you will trade up and get Kalil, which means they may panic, and we get Blackmon.

Scare the hell out of 3 and make them think you won't offer more than a 2nd to trade up, which sets the bar too high for anybody else to trade up...per the DRAFT TRADE CHART. "Poison the well"!

I am liking this. Buddy is doing maximum damage from his position.

Speaking of wells, "Give them nothing. Take from them, everything!" Thwis is Thwparta!

This ain't Buddy's first train robbery. He can teach these young turks a thing or two about a swindlin'.

GO BILLS!!!

These "sources" are SO all over the place! its comical

Every few hours there is a new "whisper" of who the bills are interested in...

Its seems orchestrated by someone in the organization:

sources tells WGR that they want Barron or Gilmore...source says Bills will make a surprise pick....casserly report the bills want tannehill....then they want to move up for kalil..

i know its a stretch, but the only position NOT mentioned by a "source" is....WR

in fact, the bills have gone out of there way numerous times to point our how deep the WR pool is.... could this be their target?

just seems fishy...

Edited by CherryCoke

I love how everyone is making it seem like all of these rumors contradict each other. The situation is likely this:

1) Buddy knows how badly the Vikings want out of 3. He also knows that Kalil likely won't make it to 10 should the Vikings pick someone else.

2) While some, in recent weeks, have speculated that Kalil is not a top 10 talent, the large majority disagrees. Mayock, Lombardi, etc., all have him as a top 4 players. Point being, no matter how in love the Bills are w/ Barron/Gilmore, Kalil will be higher on their boards.

3) Buddy said on the chat that there is a "no brainer" pick at 10 but he doesn't know if he'll be there. Well, Barron and maybe even Gilmore are likely to be available. To me that is Kalil all day.

4) My point about how these rumors do not conflict. Saying that the Bills are high on Barron/Gilmore at 10 clearly doesn't mean they wouldn't be higher on certain players that will likely be off the board before the Bills are on the clock. I think they are fairly confident that Kalil won't fall to 10. They are also fairly confident that the Vikings are happy to pass on the kid. So..it makes sense to offer a 2nd round pick in order to get a franchise LT. Everyone knows how hard it is to find a franchise LT. They aren't available in free agency and they are rarely available via trade. The only way to acquire a good one is in the draft. Kalil is clearly the better player than both Gilmore and Barron. And I'd be more than happy w/ the pick if they trade up.

this is exactly what the bills should do. Look for elite talent and go get it. We don't need two mediocre prospects. We need a LT. Kalil is the best and only true LT prospect. Make it happen. I would take Kalil over any two prospects we could get with 10 and 41.

The problem is that we will probably have to give up more than just our 1 and 2. I would offer our 1 and 3 along with a 2 and 4 next year.

This is the kind of move that could throw an already excited fanbase into an absolute ticket buying frenzy.

B-) I just received a phone call ... it is a reliable source, can't reveal which of the draftnik's he (or she) has been talking with but this source has reliably stated that they have contacts inside various war rooms ...

There is a shocker in the making ... please remember that this is coming from a reliable source but I can't provide the links, the cell phone number nor the code that was used in passing this information to me but there it was THE CALL and I still am not sure if I like it.

The Bills will be trading for Andrew Luck immediately after the Colts fulfill their promise to Luck to draft him. So in a way this isn't moving up but according to my source the Colts are no longer feeling happy with Luck preferring the interesting options that the number 10 slot is providing this year.

The source I am using has effectively reported the Bills number one picks that last few years following the selections so I have complete confidence in this update.

It's not really a move up but it is bringing us some LUCK that this board all dreamed about last year ... :thumbsup:

These "sources" are SO all over the place! its comical

Every few hours there is a new "whisper" of who the bills are interested in...

Its seems orchestrated by someone in the organization:

sources tells WGR that they want Barron or Gilmore...source says Bills will make a surprise pick....casserly report the bills want tannehill....then they want to move up for kalil..

i know its a stretch, but the only position NOT mentioned by a "source" is....WR

in fact, the bills have gone out of there way numerous times to point our how deep the WR pool is.... could this be their target?

just seems fishy...

You maybe right

I love how everyone is making it seem like all of these rumors contradict each other. The situation is likely this:

1) Buddy knows how badly the Vikings want out of 3. He also knows that Kalil likely won't make it to 10 should the Vikings pick someone else.

2) While some, in recent weeks, have speculated that Kalil is not a top 10 talent, the large majority disagrees. Mayock, Lombardi, etc., all have him as a top 4 players. Point being, no matter how in love the Bills are w/ Barron/Gilmore, Kalil will be higher on their boards.

3) Buddy said on the chat that there is a "no brainer" pick at 10 but he doesn't know if he'll be there. Well, Barron and maybe even Gilmore are likely to be available. To me that is Kalil all day.

4) My point about how these rumors do not conflict. Saying that the Bills are high on Barron/Gilmore at 10 clearly doesn't mean they wouldn't be higher on certain players that will likely be off the board before the Bills are on the clock. I think they are fairly confident that Kalil won't fall to 10. They are also fairly confident that the Vikings are happy to pass on the kid. So..it makes sense to offer a 2nd round pick in order to get a franchise LT. Everyone knows how hard it is to find a franchise LT. They aren't available in free agency and they are rarely available via trade. The only way to acquire a good one is in the draft. Kalil is clearly the better player than both Gilmore and Barron. And I'd be more than happy w/ the pick if they trade up.

Good analysis. None of these rumors are that much of a stretch. They're all pretty believable and could all be true.

If the Bills move up to 3 they arent going to take Kalil. It would be Claiborne.

I would need a new TV if we traded up to 3 and then did not take Kalil. I honestly think my head would explode. I am getting mad just thinking about it.

Our line would be pretty damn impressive if we had Kalil at LT along with Levitre, Wood, Urbik and Pears. Fitzy would go to sleep tomorrow with a smile from ear to ear.

B-) I just received a phone call ... it is a reliable source, can't reveal which of the draftnik's he (or she) has been talking with but this source has reliably stated that they have contacts inside various war rooms ...

There is a shocker in the making ... please remember that this is coming from a reliable source but I can't provide the links, the cell phone number nor the code that was used in passing this information to me but there it was THE CALL and I still am not sure if I like it.

The Bills will be trading for Andrew Luck immediately after the Colts fulfill their promise to Luck to draft him. So in a way this isn't moving up but according to my source the Colts are no longer feeling happy with Luck preferring the interesting options that the number 10 slot is providing this year.

The source I am using has effectively reported the Bills number one picks that last few years following the selections so I have complete confidence in this update.

It's not really a move up but it is bringing us some LUCK that this board all dreamed about last year ... :thumbsup:

Can we start a thread based on what we would all do if this was true? I would imagine we could get some interesting answers.

I don't think we can blame PFT. They simply post links to what other people are posting. They quoted Casserly in ths particular article, so it's not for them. They're simply the middle men.

Not to mention that the page that everyone quotes from and links to is called "Rumor Mill".

I fully believe in this rumor. Kalil has been on the Bills radar for a long time now in my opinion. The relationship that Kelly has with Kalil's dad is too much to overlook. The notion of the Bills trading up to get Claiborne is ridiculous. Especially with Gilmore on the board. There is no doubt in my mind the Bills are trying to do whatever they can to make Kalil a Bill. Between his Dad's history with the team and city, and his friendship with Kelly (his USFL center with the Gamblers) I have to believe that behind the scenes they've been trying to get this deal done. There is not another quality tackle in this draft. You trade what you need to trade and get this guy in here. He is the best tackle to come out since Jake Long & Joe thomas. Any other year, and it takes the 1st overall team 5 seconds to get to the podium with this guys name.

Edited by coseybedaman

Getting Kalil would be sweet. If this happens, what a great offseason. Top LT prospect in the draft, top DE in free agency, another experienced DE with pass rushing ability in free agency and the re-signing of Stevie and other veterans. Combine all of this with (I hope) a healthy Wood, Merriman, Fred and Fitz, and I think we can look forward to the start of the regular season with real excitement.

While I'm going to say I don't believe this, I do however think it would be a good trade for the colts. That's IF and only IF they think Tannehill or someone else is a potential franchise guy. Think about it if your the Colts newly formed FO:

-you have a new GM, HC, ACs

-you lost your starting HOF qb

-you've lost multiple Players to FA

-you proved without your HOF qb your team was at the bottom of the league

-you could recieve 3+ first rounders at a minimum for luck

-you could sure up multiple positions over the next 2-3 years with the assault of draft picks you recieved for luck

-you wouldn't be in the same predicament as before, counting on your qb for everything

-you could also demand other players as well as picks

just saying it works for the colts if you think another QB can be a franchise guy. Or maybe you draft Weeden in the 2nd and if needed trade up with additional draft picks in future years. Obviously it depends on how enamored they are with Luck.

I don't know if the rumor is true, but I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

It's hard to believe the Vikings would trade down that far (making Claiborne and Blackmon unlikely) with a second rounder being the only compensation. Unless of course they are also really high on Gilmore or Floyd.

If the Bills move up to 3 they arent going to take Kalil. It would be Claiborne.

exactly. if we move anywhere, Claiborne is the play.

i hope they sit and take Keuchly at 10 and grab the best receiver available at 41. It's the only way I see us getting two starters.

exactly. if we move anywhere, Claiborne is the play.

i hope they sit and take Keuchly at 10 and grab the best receiver available at 41. It's the only way I see us getting two starters.

sure. because a mediocre LB and a less than mediocre WR will help us so much more than a stud LT.

Don't know why you'd think that. Kalil would be the first overall pick if it weren't for Luck and Griffin.

The Bills have stressed the importance of corners. They are very weak at the position right now. I believe it's the weakest on our team if you include starters and depth.

The Bills also have alot of confidence in Hairston. Why wouldn't they? This team needs depth at LT. They don't need 2 starters at LT in a quick passing offense.

The Bills have stressed the importance of corners. They are very weak at the position right now. I believe it's the weakest on our team if you include starters and depth.

The Bills also have alot of confidence in Hairston. Why wouldn't they? This team needs depth at LT. They don't need 2 starters at LT in a quick passing offense.

they are not a quick passing offense by choice. They are doing it because their line (especially LT) was not good at pass blocking. Maybe if we had a legit NFL LT, we could stretch the field and not have to keep backs and TE's in to help block. We have 4 decent CBs on the roster, we have 1 LT

sure. because a mediocre LB and a less than mediocre WR will help us so much more than a stud LT.

You're making the assumption that Kuechley (or anyone else they can get at #10) will be average, and any 2nd Round WR (or anybody else they can get at #41) will be less than mediocre, while also assuming Kalil will be a stud...Now, I'll give you Kalil...I think he's going to be a very good LT...But if I trust my Scouting Dept, I'll take #10 and #41 any day over #3 alone...UNLESS #3 is a Franchise QB... B-)