Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

. . . The Bills and Texans DE Mario Williams have reportedly agreed to a contract in principle which will make Williams the highest defensive player in the league, but the deal has yet to be finalized. . . .

I believe the part about highest paid defensive player

I believe the part about "agreed . . . that he will be the highest paid." The big blank on the contract is the name of the employer. We all knew he was going to be the highest paid defensive player in the league after the dust settled anyway.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - if this happens (at least, Williams) then it just goes to show Nix has the power to really spend when he sees fit - and, last year he knew the team wasn't ready to truly compete, and the best pieces were not there, etc. Not that he could foresee this, but I've got to believe Wanny and Nix and Gailey were thinking this for months, and carried that money over from last year to make this work.

Excellent. Nix is turning out to be a very shrewd GM. He got Stevie Johnson for much less than he would have on the market - a few million less a year, I'd say, than a team like Washington would've given him. He's managed to keep the good players, make them happy, and now he's gearing up for a real run.

Our young players got a lot of experience these past two years - guys like Aaron Williams, Searcy, Shepphard, and Carrington - who I really hope we keep (I think he'd be a force on the other end of the line, opposite Williams) - all got a chance to get their NFL feet under them, so to speak. Add a few more early round NFL ready players - and a few gems in the later rounds, as we're coming to expect from these guys, and our team will be as able as any to compete for a playoff spot.

By the way - we land Mario, and are able to secure a LT with our first pick, a shutdown LT, then our offensive line suddenly is one of the best in the league, to go with two very exciting running backs... and we're going to be trouble for opponents! And, we're a young team!

Would a D-line of Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and either Carrington/Rookie (maybe Coples?) be as good or better than any in the league, including Giants, Lions? Potentially 3 pro-bowlers!

I'm going to be perpetually crapping myself for the next 24 hrs...I thought this was all about posturing for one or both sides...I had no idea we were serious about signing this dude. I hadn't heard about Meachem before today, so that's a nice surprise as well.

This would be a huge signing.

I believe the part about "agreed . . . that he will be the highest paid." The big blank on the contract is the name of the employer. We all knew he was going to be the highest paid defensive player in the league after the dust settled anyway.

Yeah - except that the national reports are also saying that the offers were already put out there and the Bills offered the most - which is why he's in Buffalo right now...

Why in Hades must so many Bills fans insist on being so negative...? :wallbash:

Exactly!

Nix is going to aggressively get some sleep the night before and then he will aggressively sign other players cut by teams trying to clear cap space.

You guys that think the Bills will even make a legit offer to either Vincent Jackson or Mario Williams are delusional.

:oops:

Is Rusty still in the Navy?

Without a doubt the best funniest thread in a longtime! When people are happy and excited the comedy is great! A Vacation quote and I recall a Seinfeld one too, it's great! We need a thread of obscure but hilarious movie quotes!!!

Yeah - if this happens (at least, Williams) then it just goes to show Nix has the power to really spend when he sees fit - and, last year he knew the team wasn't ready to truly compete, and the best pieces were not there, etc. Not that he could foresee this, but I've got to believe Wanny and Nix and Gailey were thinking this for months, and carried that money over from last year to make this work.

Excellent. Nix is turning out to be a very shrewd GM. He got Stevie Johnson for much less than he would have on the market - a few million less a year, I'd say, than a team like Washington would've given him. He's managed to keep the good players, make them happy, and now he's gearing up for a real run.

Our young players got a lot of experience these past two years - guys like Aaron Williams, Searcy, Shepphard, and Carrington - who I really hope we keep (I think he'd be a force on the other end of the line, opposite Williams) - all got a chance to get their NFL feet under them, so to speak. Add a few more early round NFL ready players - and a few gems in the later rounds, as we're coming to expect from these guys, and our team will be as able as any to compete for a playoff spot.

By the way - we land Mario, and are able to secure a LT with our first pick, a shutdown LT, then our offensive line suddenly is one of the best in the league, to go with two very exciting running backs... and we're going to be trouble for opponents! And, we're a young team!

Would a D-line of Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and either Carrington/Rookie (maybe Coples?) be as good or better than any in the league, including Giants, Lions? Potentially 3 pro-bowlers!

Agreed. Nice summary.

WGR550 is reporting from an unknown source that both Meachem and Williams are expected to be signed within the next 24 hours. This news would not surprise me given the inspired front office move to corner the Mario Williams market by jetting him directly to Buffalo. This is the sort of professional football front office maneuver that, in the past, would occur right after G. Gordon Liddy defected to the USSR.

My interpretation of today's events are that Nix, Gailey, Wannstache, and whomever else has FINALLY got through to Wilson that he can't take the $#%&@*% money with him and he owes it to himself to make a run for the Lombardi Trophy. More importantly, they have convinced him that they are the people who can bring it to him if they can get financial latitude.

My interpretation is that Nix etc, with the aid of the upcoming CBA provisions that mandate teams spend near the cap, have convinced Littman (and therefore Ralph) that they should be allowed to spend up to the cap, and that they should be allowed to pick the players that will make up that spend. And, because they cheaped out for the last couple of years... they have the money... even under cash to cap. The fact that the cap stayed basically the same from last year could only have helped their case.

Listening to ESPN radio earlier, the host made it sound like it would be so disappointing if Mario signs with buffalo. Its like our team/city is not sexy enough?!?!. He said Chicago or New Eng would be a perfect fit. Gimme a break!

I was listening to WEEI (Boston) this afternoon on the way home and they said Mario would be in Buffalo tonight. Then these a-holes decided to start putting down Buffalo. "They better put a bag over his head so he does not see what Buffalo looks like"..."Mario won't be out of there anytime soon. There aren't enough flights going out of that Buffalo airport". Crap like that. I hope we sign this guy. Brady would be wetting his pants with the front four we could put up.

"So Mario, do you have any problem wearing diapers and making some "goo-goo" sounds during the press conference tomorrow?"