Buddy Nix press conference today @11am

Buftex

Buddy, get rid of McKelvin. Keeping him around may tempt you to use him on defense; anyone else would be better.

Buddy specifically said they want to add TWO corners via the draft or free agency. Also praised Aaron Williams. Sounds to me like McLovin is gonzo.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the entire thing. Here's what I got:

1. Nix said Ralph has never said no to him regarding anything he wants to do, including spending. Ralph has disagreed but never said he couldn't do something.

Do you think that was a gentle way of saying Littman is pulling the strings on Ralph like a marionette?

Jeffery seems like a great player but he doesn't have the same separation ability as CJ/Randy Moss.

True...But how many WR's with that type of size and talent catching the ball have had the separation ability CJ/Moss have?...Like I said a few days ago Jeffery had a couple steps deep in the 1st Half of that Bowl Game going up against a potential 1st Round CB...He's got enough speed...Not elite speed, but enough...He does have elite size, hands and ability to use his body properly...I mean...I'd rather have Megatron too...But there's only one of those...Jeffery pretty much fits exactly what the Bills need, and will make an awesome compliment for Stevie...Just hoping he makes it to #10 Overall... B-)

Mario Williams, but I didn't get the same vibe from his comments as you. I heard it as a purely hypothetical "we'll spend if a guy's there," without any implication that a guy actually is there.

Sort of. To paraphrase Buddy, don't worry about it. Said 47% of snaps this year were with a 4-man line anyway, pointed out how often Wade Philips "the granddaddy of the 3-4" (actual quote) uses a 4-man line, mentioned that a 4-3 base will still sometimes use 3-man rush, etc. Was a little peeved (in a friendly way) when reporters brought up Buddy's pre-draft quotes from last year about scouting for a 3-4.

Buddy's looking for a little more than just size -- his quote was something along the lines of "he's open even when he's not open." Specifically mentioned a Calvin Johnson type. David Nelson is 6'5", but he's not the kind of guy you can just throw it up to and he'll go get it. I think Buddy saw one too many highlights of Andy Dalton throwing a wounded duck floater into double coverage and AJ Green catching it anyway. But whatever the reason, count me in.

I am not sure if Blackmon is that guy either. he is 6'0 and is a run after the catch WR.

If buddy wants a "Calvin Johnson" type WR, then we can start taking pre-orders for Alshon Jeffrey jerseys. He is exactly the type you can just chuck the ball up to and he'll go get it.

Agreed, an absolute stud he has it all. roght out of the CJ/Fitzgerald mode. had their been a decent QB at SC this year he would have blown up. Legit top 5 guy.

If buddy wants a "Calvin Johnson" type WR, then we can start taking pre-orders for Alshon Jeffrey jerseys. He is exactly the type you can just chuck the ball up to and he'll go get it.

except that he is no where as dominant or as fast as Megatron.

There is no way they let Williams walk. Now he is coming off a serious injury so that may be an issue but I think you see him stay with a big contract. Otherwise I would love it...

With his injuries and maybe he wants to go back to DE (like Poz did to MLB) we might have a shot at him.

After listening to that I think we draft/sign 2 DE/OLB 4/3ish types (highest priority #1 pick if there is one they can get they like), a left tackle (3-5th round IMO), sign VJ if available, if not draft (with a early pick 2nd?) a big good guy.. resign Chandler (if he is affordable), would not surprise me if they drafted a late guy. Interior line men he thinks we can keep or not (I think there are some contracts to be done there as well), he seems to think we have serviceable depth there. CB or 2,"can't have enough good CBs" - thank you Dick Jauron ;) I wonder if they would keep Leodis for returns? (mid to late round)

He thinks injuries were a big issue but didn't say much about addressing it (I felt like he just wants to get rid of any injury plagued players though). Fitz is unquestionably THE QB, "he got it done, when we had the people in there.. took too much on himself to do it and we need to reel that in a bit (paraphrasing)." (maybe RUN the damn ball CHAN!!) I think they won't draft one, honestly.

Not happy we have a bunch of guys that get injured, I think that is one reason he liked Pears so much. Merriman is still a wait and see gamble. Sounds like players are involved in a big way in recruiting FAs (good on him for that). Sounds to me they will play in FA more this year. And keep guys they would have trouble replacing or like a lot.

One thing I didn't love Fred will have to wait, maybe a upto a month..maybe more? got the feeling Fred saying the sooner the better is getting on his nerves, but in anycase he has all the time in the world since he is under contract still. Maybe trying to get the press to back off on FJ a little, (expecting a holdout? hope not sign the man)

Seem to have no problem with Chans scheme (unless the reel in Fitz comment was aimed at him as well) but did think the D was just too hard for guys (missed assignments) and it needs simplification.

I love that he is straight forward, old school football guy. Always entertaining to listen to. The money thing was actually same line as last year with the "Ralph will open the wallet for us, hasn't said no"...although this year he said "we do disagree a bit about some things at times."

Because most of your pass-rushing (regardless of down) happens in the nickel or dime, when you use a 4-man line. Von Miller is a LB in the Broncos' base D, but plays DE against pass sets.

I do think the Bills will be closer to a true 4-3 next year, but the real problem wasn't what label was put on the scheme, but the poor quality of the scheme.

In theory the only reason any defense doesn't succeed is the talent. And trying to find 2 guys who can play with a hand in the ground or standing up is a very tall order. Denver has Dumervil and Von Miller, but most 40 fronts can't say the same. Baltimore runs Suggs out in a similar manner, and the Giants have a stable of them, but most teams don't. Finding one guy like this is tough, but two is a wish and a prayer.

They don't want to admit their base package is returning to a 40 front, but I suspect it is. Three base defenses in 4 seasons.

I truly appreciate Nix' frankness as a fan.

But I thought he wasn't giving Chandler very much respect. While true the guy had only one catch prior to coming here, he has been great for us. He basically said Chandler would likely not be successful somewhere else and that if he could find a better deal then so be it.

Listened to the whole thing Live...

Mark it down now...I'm going to go out on a limb here... :nana:

The Bills will take Alshon Jeffery if he's still there at #10...He is the exact WR Nix said the Team needed...I'm surprised he did not slip and mention Jeffery by name...

Now Y'all have until late April to tell me I'm wrong... B-)

or Michael Floyd

But I thought he wasn't giving Chandler very much respect. While true the guy had only one catch prior to coming here, he has been great for us. He basically said Chandler would likely not be successful somewhere else and that if he could find a better deal then so be it.

However that might be true... These mega tight end are becoming more prevalent and I'd say chandler while great for buf is no, Graham, Finley, Grisham, Gates or Gonzalez. He is not even a Whiten. Maybe they think they can land someone better for what he is asking?

Uh, so you expect us to trade up? You do know that theres less than 1% chance he's there for us at 10 right?

I am hoping that we can trade up at a reasonable cost and get Blackmon. He is the one player I would truly like to have out of this draft if I could pick one. I know, also, there is no way in the world he makes it to #10. Just wait till his Combine performance when he puts up Calvin Johnson type numbers.

Here's how you may be wrong: Jeffery may not be there at #10.

There are going tyo be multiple options at # 10. The best player who fits the system may be Kirkpatrick (CB), or an OT, or a WR or a DE. I would hope that they go with a DE or a OT but if Kirkpatrick is a pro bowl lock down corner who is head and shoulders above the other options then go for it.

I listened to the entire thing. Here's what I got:

1. Nix said Ralph has never said no to him regarding anything he wants to do, including spending. Ralph has disagreed but never said he couldn't do something.

2. I think he's going to draft a offensive tackle in the third or 4th round.

3. Pass rusher top priority. He commented on size, likes the 6-4 260 lbs and taller guys.

4. Doesn't sound like they're going to re-sign Roscoe because he's never finished a full NFL season. He alluded to the same thing with Bell at LT. I don't think they'll pay for either one of those guys next year.

5. He seemed to think Fitz's midseason slump was from losing his WR's and not having enough weapons. He talked about adding a big receiver. Likes Donald Jones a lot but you can tell he's frustrated with injured dudes. Easley too. He mentioned Easley's strength and bad luck getting on the field.

6. He was asked about Chandler and said they'd like to keep him.

7. Thinks we will take a big step next year with one more solid draft like last year. Commented that our rookies (hairston, searcy, shep, dareus and aaron W) all got solid experience this year, and CJ got better as well.

However that might be true... These mega tight end are becoming more prevalent and I'd say chandler while great for buf is no, Graham, Finley, Grisham, Gates or Gonzalez. He is not even a Whiten. Maybe they think they can land someone better for what he is asking?

You need two TE's Chandler is fine for one of them.

I really hope that his unwavering confidence in Fitz is just a front to not create controversy. If they think there is a good qb there in round 1 or 2 they have to grab him. I do agree that he didn't have the best weapons to throw to, but I remain very unconvinced that he's a franchise guy.

I really hope that his unwavering confidence in Fitz is just a front to not create controversy. If they think there is a good qb there in round 1 or 2 they have to grab him. I do agree that he didn't have the best weapons to throw to, but I remain very unconvinced that he's a franchise guy.

Either way short of Luck or RG3 falling to us I don't see a guy in the draft that is going to supplant Fitz as the starter next year.

There is no way they let Williams walk. Now he is coming off a serious injury so that may be an issue but I think you see him stay with a big contract. Otherwise I would love it...

I cant see them making him an elite offer to play OLB for them. It just seems like a poor fit for those dollars, and I'd have to guess Williams would like to get back to end.

With the injury it would be hard for either party to feel good signing longterm with huge dollars. Just not a ton of time to get comfortable with a new position.

Just speculation though.

Edited by NoSaint

Mario Williams

Buddy's looking for a little more than just size -- his quote was something along the lines of "he's open even when he's not open." Specifically mentioned a Calvin Johnson type.

I have been thinking the Texans would let Mario Walk and would cream myself if we signed him.

That is the exact type of WR I think we need. Is Floyd liek that? I think the other two could be gone at 10.

I have been thinking the Texans would let Mario Walk and would cream myself if we signed him.

I don't think Houston can afford him. He's going to want a contract similar to Peppers, which is about 6yrs and $90 million. Can you picture a Buffalo News headline that reads "Bills land Williams with $90M deal?" I sure can't.

I think a more realistic target is Cliff Avril. He'll probably command about half that and is a much better pass rusher than most people think.

I think it was more like "...we gave you a shot when no one else did so why not stick around and help us make a winner?"

PTR

Sounds like he's not just looking for a receiver but a receiver with size. Which is interesting because they already have pretty good size with the guys they got. I also wonder if Vincent Jackson will be a target if Stevie walks.

James Hardy is available :worthy:

he is TALL

Enter Justin Blackmon :thumbsup:

My guess is that he is gone before the #10 pick.

Because he's not a "big time receiver".

Buddy didn't say anything about getting WR's PLURAL - unless they lose Stevie.

He said they want another ONE top starter to go with SJ.

There's nothing wrong with Jones your #4/#5 guy. That's has nothing to do with trying to bring in a Vincent Jackson, etc. or sign a 1st-round stud WR.

That doesn't mean they won't go for more than one, either.

I'd take haggin over jones.

I would, too.

He said if you can get QB pressure with your front 4, that is a good defense. So I guess he is leaning to the 4 -3.

He talked at length about 3-4 vs 4-3.

Basically he said that on passing downs, teams almost always rush 4 men.

He also said that the Bills played 4-3 on 47% of snaps this past year.

Personally I think the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate is much more an issue with the fans than it is with the team.

Like many teams, the Bills will use multiple fronts.

Hopefully they'll acquire the best players available and scheme around those specific players.

Personally I couldn't care less what scheme they run.

Personally I think the 3-4 vs 4-3 debate is much more an issue with the fans than it is with the team.

Hopefully they'll acquire the best players available and scheme around those specific players.

I'm not too concerned about the scheme.

But if we were to invest a first round pick on a pass rusher, be it a DE or an OLB I want to get a guy theta gonna be on the field almost every play.

So the only reason I care about the scheme is to know what type of defensive players would best help the Bills. I really don't want to see a "Maybin" type rusher that can only do 1 thing.

I like what Buddy is doing and his direction of the team and all. It seems like he is saying the right things but we will have to wait and see if he pulls the right strings. If he resigns Stevie, brings in Bowe or Jackson, maybe even a guy like Meachem, and has a strong draft 2012 class, I can see the Bills making the playoffs as a distinct possibility this year. I mean look at their schedule. Besides New England, the Jets, Houston, and San Fran (who knows what Indy will be) every single team is mediocre or below average. The way I look at it, I see the Bills losing 1 of the no-brainer games and pulling one out against the above teams to go 10-6 (w/ a good free agency and draft). But its way early to be predicting records. Buddy is optimistic about Stevie and I hope and think he will sign him.

I agree philosophy is more important, then scheme. We could be a running team with the spread for instance :ph34r: (please).

Great Presser.

That was super candid.

Looks like #10 will be:

Alshon Jeffrey

Michael Floyd

Dre Kirkpatrick

Maybe

Jonathan Martin

(Assuming Claiborne & Blackmon are gone by #10)

I thought we drafted Maybe in 2009?

I don't know know if it's buddy's country accent or what or how he would pronounce or "who what" but, he somehow got me excited about free agency and the draft......

He's got a little of that old snake oil country shuckster in him don't he?

A little of the old Mr Haney?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsEhXE5IUCQ&feature=related

True...But how many WR's with that type of size and talent catching the ball have had the separation ability CJ/Moss have?...Like I said a few days ago Jeffery had a couple steps deep in the 1st Half of that Bowl Game going up against a potential 1st Round CB...He's got enough speed...Not elite speed, but enough...He does have elite size, hands and ability to use his body properly...I mean...I'd rather have Megatron too...But there's only one of those...Jeffery pretty much fits exactly what the Bills need, and will make an awesome compliment for Stevie...Just hoping he makes it to #10 Overall... B-)

I would love to have Jeffery on the team. He is my favorite WR in the draft. He may not be the fastest, but he would be a great compliment to Stevie. Jeffery did not have as good a year as before, mostly because South Carolina ran the ball a lot more.

He would be the best option for getting a Calvin Johnson type WR for the Bills. Unless the Bills try to get Vincent Jackson.

Listened to the whole thing Live...

Mark it down now...I'm going to go out on a limb here... :nana:

The Bills will take Alshon Jeffery if he's still there at #10...He is the exact WR Nix said the Team needed...I'm surprised he did not slip and mention Jeffery by name...

Now Y'all have until late April to tell me I'm wrong... B-)

That is exactly what I've been thinking as well. Unless they surprise us and somehow manage to land VJ.