Buddy Nix press conference today @11am

Buftex

James Hardy?

Was thinking more along the lines of Nelson, Easley, and even Stevie if we resign him. Our smallest receiver would be Donald Jones and he is taller than Evans, Reed, and Roscoe who we ran with as our top 3 for how many years? It's a similar philosophy that that Chargers use at WR. Hardy was a dumb pick by a bad regime.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was thinking more along the lines of Nelson, Easley, and even Stevie if we resign him. Our smallest receiver would be Donald Jones and he is taller than Evans, Reed, and Roscoe who we ran with as our top 3 for how many years? It's a similar philosophy that that Chargers use at WR. Hardy was a dumb pick by a bad regime.

Do we really need Donald Jones on our roster?

Good stuff. I love listening to Buddy and Chan for that matter. Let's face it, Denver is in the AFC semi's and we smoked them a couple weeks ago (without Freddie J, Wood, etc..). The Bills aren't really that far away.

IMO (and I know there are posters here who will call me delusional) the Bills are not far off.

Nix and company will continue to add pieces, the injuries will abate, and the team will be improved next year in the W-L column.

I dearly want the playoffs… I would settle for a 9-7 season.

With New England, the Jets, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore all teams with aging core players the AFC will be wide open in years to come. Houston is ascending as is Tennessee. Cinci might be as well. Will the Bills?

The Bills need to stay the course on their master plan and continue their organizational commitment to their core beliefs. John Guy and Tom Modrak are gone. Nix, Doug Whaley, Tom Gibbons, Chuck Cook and Darrell Moody deserve to show what they can build here.

Hopefully they can transcend the constraints of Ralph, Littman and Overdorf.

I admit I may be overinterpreting - but I really took what he was saying as implying they intend to USE their cap THIS year.

Who is a big pass-rusher likely available in FA? He really sounded like he was going to spend hard to get one.

Mario Williams, but I didn't get the same vibe from his comments as you. I heard it as a purely hypothetical "we'll spend if a guy's there," without any implication that a guy actually is there.

Did he give any indication as to the team's preference on a 3-4 or 4-3?

Sort of. To paraphrase Buddy, don't worry about it. Said 47% of snaps this year were with a 4-man line anyway, pointed out how often Wade Philips "the granddaddy of the 3-4" (actual quote) uses a 4-man line, mentioned that a 4-3 base will still sometimes use 3-man rush, etc. Was a little peeved (in a friendly way) when reporters brought up Buddy's pre-draft quotes from last year about scouting for a 3-4.

Sounds like he's not just looking for a receiver but a receiver with size. Which is interesting because they already have pretty good size with the guys they got. I also wonder if Vincent Jackson will be a target if Stevie walks.

Buddy's looking for a little more than just size -- his quote was something along the lines of "he's open even when he's not open." Specifically mentioned a Calvin Johnson type. David Nelson is 6'5", but he's not the kind of guy you can just throw it up to and he'll go get it. I think Buddy saw one too many highlights of Andy Dalton throwing a wounded duck floater into double coverage and AJ Green catching it anyway. But whatever the reason, count me in.

Depends on if Easley is ready to come in and finally contribute next year. Assuming we get Stevie and a new outside guy or two new outside guys Nelson is locked into the #3 spot. Jones wasn't too bad his rookie year (actually he wasn't too bad last year, just not a good #2). I'd give Jones the edge over Easley right now for that fourth slot.

I assume that GR will be carrying it...but can't confirm that.

Comments on Bell were most enlightening. My understanding was that they are not going to back up the truck for him. His injury history is a problem and will factor into negotiations. I think they will try harder for Stevie than for Bell. I suspect that Bell may leave because once free agency starts the Bills are in no better position with a player like Bell than any other team. Signing or no signing they will add a Tackle.

Buddy Nix may fail as GM. But IMO, fans are way to hard on him and put the last 12 years on his shoulders. You do build teams through the draft. That takes time but it is the right way to do things. Draft picks are cheaper and generally most elite players are guys you draft. Very rarely do superstars hit the open market.

So Nix needs to keep plugging along. His 2 drafts are finally starting to make some plays for this team. But there is finally a plan and so far, it is moving forward. Though probably not as fast as the hot pocket people want.

Why would you have a problem if a young, talented guy was the 4th or 5th receiver on our team?

Do you think he won't improve?

Do you understand that he has very good physical tools?

Don't you think it's possible that he gets bumped down the depth chart but stays on the roster?

Listened to the whole thing Live...

Mark it down now...I'm going to go out on a limb here... :nana:

The Bills will take Alshon Jeffery if he's still there at #10...He is the exact WR Nix said the Team needed...I'm surprised he did not slip and mention Jeffery by name...

Now Y'all have until late April to tell me I'm wrong... B-)

Actually the dumbest thing they can do would be letting him go and drafting a WR. Who would ever think it would be dumb to sign and add??????

that would be the fan's worst nightmare and the classic sideways move thats been going on at one bills drive for the last decade.

If buddy wants a "Calvin Johnson" type WR, then we can start taking pre-orders for Alshon Jeffrey jerseys. He is exactly the type you can just chuck the ball up to and he'll go get it.

Exactly...I just wrote the same thing...Sry I did not see this Post prior... B-)

The Bills will take Alshon Jeffery if he's still there at #10...He is the exact WR Nix said the Team needed...I'm surprised he did not slip and mention Jeffery by name...

Here's how you may be wrong: Jeffery may not be there at #10.

I really thought it sounded more like he wants to draft an OT at #10 if he's there and that they are targeting a FA WR (Vince Jackson?) to ADD to Stevie as a starter.

If buddy wants a "Calvin Johnson" type WR, then we can start taking pre-orders for Alshon Jeffrey jerseys. He is exactly the type you can just chuck the ball up to and he'll go get it.

But Jeffrey is not as fast as Johnson, and Johnson's speed/size combo is a huge part of his game.

Edited by jjmac

I assume that GR will be carrying it...but can't confirm that.

I cannot hear from work, but from the summaries here, I am glad that:

- he did not preach 'patience'

- Did not talk about needing 'runners'

- Acknowledged skill gap in WR & pass rushing corps

Let us see who they actually draft, but I still think we should draft a QB high if there is one the FO likes. Let him learn behind Fitz.

Free Agent wide receiver list is quite extensive and can be found here:

Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson are both good choices. Perhaps Earl Bennett as a wild card but not too sure about him.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Why would you have a problem if a young, talented guy was the 4th or 5th receiver on our team?

Do you think he won't improve?

Do you understand that he has very good physical tools?

Don't you think it's possible that he gets bumped down the depth chart but stays on the roster?

If he is so good, why is Buddy talking about getting WRs? I see Nelson returning, a FA signee, Nelson, Easley, and a draft pick as our top 5.

Let us see who they actually draft, but I still think we should draft a QB high if there is one the FO likes. Let him learn behind Fitz.

I did hear Nix say addressing QB (and this is essentially what he said last year), "we'll take one if the right one is there at the right time."

Two things that were not addressed in the time I was listening (and I'm looking forward to GR's Audio Vault replay) were:

1) Quarterback issues

2) Play-calling issues

I think essentially that Nix is happy with Gailey and Fitz for the time being.

He commented favorably on Gailey and didn't mention upgrading QB talent as one of the offseason priorities.