Bengals

symbiant

Its all about talent evaluation.

Incoming talent, and the "talent" already on your roster.

The main unstated point of the OP is that "if they can do it, why couldnt we?"

Evaluation of talent.

Its not "Ralph is cheap" to pay players. But it sure seems like its "Ralph is cheap to pay front office."

Bengals record without having played Baltimore & Pittsburgh: 9-3

Bengals record after having played Baltimore & Pittsburgh: 9-7

No doubt the Bengals have played better, but have they really turned it around?

And yet the Bills were within one dubious officiating call of beating them in Cinci.

Evaluation of talent.

Its not "Ralph is cheap" to pay players. But it sure seems like its "Ralph is cheap to pay front office."

Yet your comparison point is the cheapest team in the league with regards to scouting.

With a LOWER pick, they managed to get a franchise quarterback/WR tandem.

They dumped TO and Ocho cancers and managed to trade Carson Palmer...

And they made the playoffs... in one year.

Sigh

What if they give that catch to Stevie Johnson and we beat the Bungles that day? We kill more time, put some points on the board and win.

How different would the season have been?

Yes I know -- you are your record.

Sigh

Doesn't a LOWER pick mean they were already a better team?

Also don't forget the Bengals were a playoff team two years ago and won their division. Its not like the team lacked talent. Everything fell apart last season for them

I do love when a very talented team underachieves and then goes back up and it's proof of one year rebuilds. Next year: San diego!

Of the one year rebuilds- I tend to see a lot of these good underachievers and then a lot of mortgage the future for 1-2 seasons. Rarely does a bad team get good without a process.

I think this is a fair statement. RW has always hated to pay for top coaches and FO personnel. It's been my major beef with him.

And the bengals are really spending big on both their scouts. Or do they have 3 people in the department these days?

As long as we're comparing teams, Cincinnati versus Buffalo is what I would consider equally difficult conferences, how about this:

Points Allowed: Cincinnati 323 Buffalo 434

Points Scored: Cincinnati 344 Buffalo 372

Point Differential: Cincinnati +21 Buffalo -62

Division Record: Cincinnati 2-4 Buffalo 1-5

Playoff Appearances since 2005: Cincinnati 3 Buffalo 0

Team Record: Cincinnati 9-7 Buffalo 6-10

5 year team record: Cincinnati 34-45-1 Buffalo 30-50

Hard to tell if the Bengals turned it around yet, but they received solid QB play from a rookie, have a veritable #1 WR, and a good but not outstanding defense. All of this is in spite of an owner who is among the worst in pro sports. For the Bills to win, they'll need to follow this blueprint, but early returns give Cincinnati a huge edge at this point.

They are in the Playoffs, we are not. What team did the better job. The Bengals.

As long as we're comparing teams, Cincinnati versus Buffalo is what I would consider equally difficult conferences, how about this:

Points Allowed: Cincinnati 323 Buffalo 434

Points Scored: Cincinnati 344 Buffalo 372

Point Differential: Cincinnati +21 Buffalo -62

Division Record: Cincinnati 2-4 Buffalo 1-5

Playoff Appearances since 2005: Cincinnati 3 Buffalo 0

Team Record: Cincinnati 9-7 Buffalo 6-10

5 year team record: Cincinnati 34-45-1 Buffalo 30-50

Hard to tell if the Bengals turned it around yet, but they received solid QB play from a rookie, have a veritable #1 WR, and a good but not outstanding defense. All of this is in spite of an owner who is among the worst in pro sports. For the Bills to win, they'll need to follow this blueprint, but early returns give Cincinnati a huge edge at this point.

Yes, and its quite depressing to see the Lions and the Bengals make the playoffs befroe us after last season. I'm a Pirates fan, and it reminds me of every time I see Tampa or Florida make the playoffs and go deep (or win). I'm banging my heading thinking why can't we do that.

Evaluation of talent.

This is a fantastic point.

With one win against a team with a winning record!

Are they in the playoffs? Did they beat us? Then who gives a **** who they did or didn't beat during the regular season? They are in the dance and we still suck. Let me finish with this, NO ONE on this board would B word if the Bills were in the playoffs and only beat one team with a winning record

Sigh

3 winning seasons in 21 years. One playoff appearance doesn't mean their fortunes are turned around yet.

Are they in the playoffs? Did they beat us? Then who gives a **** who they did or didn't beat during the regular season? They are in the dance and we still suck. Let me finish with this, NO ONE on this board would B word if the Bills were in the playoffs and only beat one team with a winning record

In fact, I'm curious - without looking- if we handled our business against chumps and lost only to playoff teams what would be our record?

What if they give that catch to Stevie Johnson and we beat the Bungles that day? We kill more time, put some points on the board and win.

How many times are we going to say "what if stevie did this" before we get sick of it?

3 winning seasons in 21 years. One playoff appearance doesn't mean their fortunes are turned around yet.

I'd take a playoff appearance from us and some extra real picks from team cancers any day.

I seem to recall a lot of "at least we're not the Bengals" comments last offseason. Now look.

We're right back where we started.... watching the other cellar dwellers climb out while we swim in ineptitude.

They are in the Playoffs, we are not. What team did the better job. The Bengals.

I was not comparing the Bengals to the Bills. Nor did I say that the Bills had a better season than the Bengals.

My point is, that while the Bengals did a lot better than everyone thought they would do, I am still not 100% sold on the fact that they have completely turned it around after this season.

As I stated before when it came time for the Bengals to play the Ravens & Steelers, they ended up getting swept by both teams.

They may have done better than the Bills, but I would hardly call the Bengals an "elite" team.

Also a playoff victory over a Texans team without their top QB will prove little.

The bengals are an example of why fans should have patience instead of wanting to blow up the staff every 2 or 3 years.

They can be patient because they have Marivn Lewis as their HC and he is a pretty good coach..Not like the stiffs we have had around One Bills Drive.

Evaluation of talent.

What about the amount of key injuries to their team this year , I didn't see many key starters missing from there roster !!!

I'm not real sure but that just may have had something to do with our team not playing well , but try telling that to some Bills fans is like trying to get an elephant to play with a mouse !!!

Not knocking them.... bengal were 0-8 against teams with winning records...as a matter of fact the only team they beat with a winning record at the time was against the Bills....very overrated team....won't be back in the play-offs next year book it

Wow they went 0-8 against winning teams yet still finished 9-7 with a win against 9-7 Tennessee, that is pretty amazing.

Yet your comparison point is the cheapest team in the league with regards to scouting.

A fair point. I did think about that while I was posting.

But 2 things. (1) I dont think we should be trying to be like the Bengals. Its just an example of how almost every team has gotten back up after being down. If the Bengals can do it with cheap Mike Brown, we should have been able to do it earlier if we had been willing to get and keep the right people, no matter the cost.

(2) Just think how much faster we could have had our own rebuild if we hadnt had to rely on the "blind squirrel finding an acorn" drafting technique. So the Bengals found a couple acorns? That doesnt mean i'm due to find some. How about spending a little on some Lazik surgery and getting off this 12 year treadmill to nowhere?

I do love when a very talented team underachieves and then goes back up and it's proof of one year rebuilds. Next year: San diego!

Of the one year rebuilds- I tend to see a lot of these good underachievers and then a lot of mortgage the future for 1-2 seasons. Rarely does a bad team get good without a process.

And the bengals are really spending big on both their scouts. Or do they have 3 people in the department these days?

They have drafted unbelievably well the past few years. Where we got Torell Troup, the Bengals got Geno Atkins in a later round. Where we got Carrington, they got Michael Johnson in a later round. They got Mauluga. That's not even considering Green and Dalton. The Bengals have stockpiled young talent and hit on their picks. For anyone to say otherwise is delusional. And they did rebuild in one year. Losing the starting QB and his top wide receivers is a rebuild.

As for Buffalo, while our 2011 draft looks promising, the 2010 one was a black hole. An empty draft class will haunt a team for years.

I have a lot of friends in Cincy. They are excited about playoff run, but also sure Mike Brown will find a way to screw it up. Just like the Bills in the East, I will believe in the Bengal when they beat Pitt and Balt and are competitive in a playoff game. Til then...anomaly.

Sigh

And they let Justin Smith and Jonathon Joseph walk...drafted Akili Smith, David Klingler and half the known felons in the league....a true model franchise.