Some Indy Insight into Polian's firing

Polian's an ass. I've heard that in articles for a while now. When he wins, it's all hunky-dory, but when the ship seems to stall out, he becomes intolerable.

Polian is no picnic when things are going well, either. He just has a volatile personality and always wears his heart on his sleeve. He's also a very nice guy most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

The Indy Star's Bob Kravitz wrote some damning articles about Polian even before his ouster.

But none of the disclosures are particularly surprising.

This is the same guy that we knew in Buffalo back in the late 80's.

Unlike most people, Polian is brilliant.

Like most people, he is flawed.

Some of his flaws were pretty hard to ignore.

The writer says Irsay has class!!!??? How about the class he showed in stealing FA Will Wolford from the Bills years ago with the poison pill contract offer. Real classy!! Say what you will about Polian and his not being nice, but Irsay is a d*ck.

The writer says Irsay has class!!!??? How about the class he showed in stealing FA Will Wolford from the Bills years ago with the poison pill contract offer. Real classy!! Say what you will about Polian and his not being nice, but Irsay is a d*ck.

Hmmm… I would be totally on board with calling Bob Irsay a d*ck but I've actually heard lots of great things about Jim Irsay.

Also, don't you think that Wolford's agent (and therefore Wolford himself) was complicit in the offer sheet made by the Colts?

Wolford was born in Kentucky and played at Vanderbilt which is in Nashville, Tennessee.

Indy is pretty close to home for Wolford.

I would not assume he was an innocent party in that whole affair.

Part of it might have also involved making his kid the successor as GM. Apparently Junior was in charge of the last few drafts and, well, you can see the results.

PTR

"Doesn't play well with others" seems to matter more when the stack in the L column is tall and the stack in the W column skimpy

Both points seem very true.

With the Polians it was an all or none deal. Irsay couldn't have one without the other.

And winning covers up a lot of warts.

A friend on mine in Indianaplois said that Polian had long worn out his welcome there due to his arrogance.

He shouldn't have been too arrogant this year when it became obvious his team sucked moose meat without Manning.

Did he draft any other talent?

Other teams lose their QB without falling apart like Indy did.

I got over that awhile ago. Time to let it go.

He shouldn't have been too arrogant this year when it became obvious his team sucked moose meat without Manning.Did he draft any other talent?Other teams lose their QB without falling apart like Indy did.

The Bears certainly are not among them, and thus lost their GM as well, and are rumored to be interested in Polian (and the wheel goes round and round).

If you think Jim Irsay is a dic, his father was the biggest dic in the history of the NFL, to his players in particular.

It must be nice for an NFL owner to have the time to "twitter" to all his fans

I suppose the Colts fans base and its writers forget what that Franchise was like before Bill Polian, back to back 3-13 seasons. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Colts slide back to what they were before Polian, a crap org with crappy coaches and GM's.

PS I could care less if Polian was a complete bastage to everyone, just as long as the team wins :D

Edited by Fear the Beard

Irsay spends more time on Twitter then a 14 year old girl...says all you need to know about him

Polian is no picnic when things are going well, either. He just has a volatile personality and always wears his heart on his sleeve. He's also a very nice guy most of the time.

GO BILLS!!!

Very much this.

Even in the Super Bowl years the rumors/inside baseball were that he was tough to work for and with.

I understand everyone loves to work for someone that is cordial and nice. Dick Jauron was a nice guy to his players and staff, but the team was not successful. While Bill Polian was abrasive and a d*ick, he's been very successful in three different organizations (Bills, Panthers & Colts). The Bills were 2-14 before Polian took over, and took them to multiple Super Bowl trips. The Panthers were an expansion team that he took to the NFC Championship game. The Colts were a 3-13 team before he turned the team around, and made them a Superbowl champion.

I'm in the camp that Polian had to go, because Chris had to go. Some of these guys get so powerful, they think they own the business and try to employ their families.

Bill is a great GM, Chris hasn't proven himself in any way. Chris would do well to join a team as a scout and work his way up - THAT is how Bill did it.

If we had hired Marty Schottenheimer, would we have wanted Brian as the OC? Based on the NYJ experience, I'd say no.

If we had hired Shanny, would we want Kyle shoved down our throats - no.

Expertise is not transferable via DNA, except maybe in the case of Archie, Peyton & Eli. (LOL)

These guys would have been wiser to call in a favor and get them some job within the NFL and let them earn their own stripes. If any of them were to pan out (show expertise), Dad could always ask them to join him wherever he is. But to start and be give a role of critical importance is a lot of pressure to bear for the offspring.

Edited by Never NEVER Give-up

I understand everyone loves to work for someone that is cordial and nice. Dick Jauron was a nice guy to his players and staff, but the team was not successful. While Bill Polian was abrasive and a d*ick, he's been very successful in three different organizations (Bills, Panthers & Colts). The Bills were 2-14 before Polian took over, and took them to multiple Super Bowl trips. The Panthers were an expansion team that he took to the NFC Championship game. The Colts were a 3-13 team before he turned the team around, and made them a Superbowl champion.

:thumbsup:

You wanna bet, if Manning doesn't sit out the season, and the Colts go 13-3, or 12-4, Polian and son are still employed by the Colts. It is all about wins and losses, in the end. Finishing with the first pick in the draft, is a sign of something gone wrong....being arrogant and difficult, doesn't help. So, Irsay just thought, maybe rightfully, it was time to make a change. That doesn't mean that Polian will have any fewer suitors. And it shouldn't. You can argue that he isn't a nice guy, but you can't really argue with his track record.

I suppose the Colts fans base and its writers forget what that Franchise was like before Bill Polian, back to back 3-13 seasons. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see the Colts slide back to what they were before Polian, a crap org with crappy coaches and GM's.

This is exactly what happened to us in Buffalo.

RTB

Edited by RunTheBall

How did he turn the Colts around? Thats right, he chose Manning over Leaf. I think it looks much worse on his reputation that even with Manning, he could only win one SB. Being the GM of a team with a QB like Manning, or Brady, should be one of the easiest jobs in the league to have.

How did he turn the Colts around? Thats right, he chose Manning over Leaf. I think it looks much worse on his reputation that even with Manning, he could only win one SB. Being the GM of a team with a QB like Manning, or Brady, should be one of the easiest jobs in the league to have.

So, you're saying you wouldn't be happy if the Bills won only 1 Superbowl? There were so many Bills fans that wanted Bill Cowher to come to Buffalo, but he only won 1 Superbowl as well, guess you didn't want Cowher either? I remember Leaf was hyped up just as much as Manning was. Plus, Polian made a very sweet deal with New Orleans to trade all of their draft picks, plus the following year's #1 pick, just so Ditka could get Ricky Williams. But I'm sure you feel anyone could have pulled that kind of deal off. I guess you forget how pathetic the Bills were before Polian took over as the GM.

So, you're saying you wouldn't be happy if the Bills won only 1 Superbowl? There were so many Bills fans that wanted Bill Cowher to come to Buffalo, but he only won 1 Superbowl as well, guess you didn't want Cowher either? I remember Leaf was hyped up just as much as Manning was. Plus, Polian made a very sweet deal with New Orleans to trade all of their draft picks, plus the following year's #1 pick, just so Ditka could get Ricky Williams. But I'm sure you feel anyone could have pulled that kind of deal off. I guess you forget how pathetic the Bills were before Polian took over as the GM.

You may want to rethink that one.

However, Polian did end up drafting whom many thought was the better RB that draft when he selected Edgerrin James.

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting ... I guess the truth is that everyone puts up with the ugly stuff while the team is winning but it wears thin when they lose. His behavior may not be all that unusual as compared to many successful people. To reach that level of success you have to be very driven and probably make a significant number of personal sacrifices. In light of this you may very well not give a flip about other people. I'm not condoning just saying it's maybe not rare behavior.

Interesting ... I guess the truth is that everyone puts up with the ugly stuff while the team is winning but it wears thin when they lose. His behavior may not be all that unusual as compared to many successful people. To reach that level of success you have to be very driven and probably make a significant number of personal sacrifices. In light of this you may very well not give a flip about other people. I'm not condoning just saying it's maybe not rare behavior.

Once again the Polian situation has been nicely nutshelled in this topic… except one thing I personally don't understand…

Why do some parents believe in nepotism?

From a purely biological standpoint of course, it makes sense… preservation of the bloodlines, etc.

But personally I believe that a parent should want their child to work for what they earn in the world… and not have it given to them.

You may want to rethink that one.

However, Polian did end up drafting whom many thought was the better RB that draft when he selected Edgerrin James.

GO BILLS!!!

Ditka stated he was willing to give up every draft pick he had that year so he could move up and draft Ricky Williams. Bill Polian wanted to see if he could get Ditka to agree to all of that year's draft picks, plus the following year's #1, and Ditka agreed to it. I'd say that was a bold & smart move on Polian's part.

Ditka stated he was willing to give up every draft pick he had that year so he could move up and draft Ricky Williams. Bill Polian wanted to see if he could get Ditka to agree to all of that year's draft picks, plus the following year's #1, and Ditka agreed to it. I'd say that was a bold & smart move on Polian's part.

I'm confused then, Jerry. Ditka and the Saints made the trade with Casserly and the Redskins so I don't understand Polian's role in any of it.

GO BILLS!!!

We all know what Polian did in the past. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" results driven business.

The fact is: whatever personality traits Polian has, were tolerated while the Colts were winning and arguably within sight of another SB trip. He wasn't fired because he was abraisive, he was fired because it became brutally evident that beyond Manning, the Colts have nothing. And it's on Polian to field a team, not to bet the whole enchilada on one human playing an injury-prone position.

The sensible conclusion is, whatever Polian has done to build teams in the past, he hasn't done it much lately.

I would love it if they won one, but it doesn't mean that I wouldn't want/expect them to win more, especially if the team was built with a player the caliber of Manning. Do you think Colts fans are satisfied with only 1 SB win? As for Cowher, I knew he wasn't coming back to coach when Buffalo was looking, and unless he was bringing over the same players and coaching staff to Buffalo, I don't know if he would have the same success here. As for the trading of picks, did Polian go out and initiate and convince Ditka to make that deal or did the Saints come calling and made the offer? If its the later, then yes, anyone could have made that deal. What did Polian do with all those picks he got in the deal? Nothing because the Picks went to the Redskins

Edited by apuszczalowski

We all know what Polian did in the past. This is a "what have you done for me lately?" results driven business.

The fact is: whatever personality traits Polian has, were tolerated while the Colts were winning and arguably within sight of another SB trip. He wasn't fired because he was abraisive, he was fired because it became brutally evident that beyond Manning, the Colts have nothing. And it's on Polian to field a team, not to bet the whole enchilada on one human playing an injury-prone position.

The sensible conclusion is, whatever Polian has done to build teams in the past, he hasn't done it much lately.

Injury prone position? Manning hadn't missed a game in his first 13 seasons.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm confused then, Jerry. Ditka and the Saints made the trade with Casserly and the Redskins so I don't understand Polian's role in any of it.

GO BILLS!!!

You are right: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/10/20/rewind-remembering-the-ricky-williams-trade

Gotta eat some crow on this one. Sorry about that. I remember watching a story on the NFL network about the Ricky Williams trade, but somehow got Bill Polian tied in with it, instead of Charlie Casserly.

I don't know if Bill Polian's son is to blame for the Colts being so bad minus Manning. It's possible that Bill was hooking up his son with the GM job, instead of Chris Polian becoming a scout and working his way up the ranks. If that's the case, then it definitely falls on Bill Polian's shoulders for putting his son in that position.

I just look at how successful the Bills were with Polian, compared to how successful they were without him. The Polian era was the most successful era in Bills history. 2nd, would be during the AFL Championship days, 3rd, the John Butler era. Would the Bills be in a 12 year playoff drought if Polian was still here in Buffalo? I highly doubt it. Polian is a d*ck, then again, so was Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and others during their time in Buffalo. I'd rather have a team of S.O.B.'s that win, compared to a bunch of nice guys that lose.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

You are right: http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/10/20/rewind-remembering-the-ricky-williams-trade

Gotta eat some crow on this one. Sorry about that. I remember watching a story on the NFL network about the Ricky Williams trade, but somehow got Bill Polian tied in with it, instead of Charlie Casserly.

I don't know if Bill Polian's son is to blame for the Colts being so bad minus Manning. It's possible that Bill was hooking up his son with the GM job, instead of Chris Polian becoming a scout and working his way up the ranks. If that's the case, then it definitely falls on Bill Polian's shoulders for putting his son in that position.

I just look at how successful the Bills were with Polian, compared to how successful they were without him. The Polian era was the most successful era in Bills history. 2nd, would be during the AFL Championship days, 3rd, the John Butler era. Would the Bills be in a 12 year playoff drought if Polian was still here in Buffalo? I highly doubt it. Polian is a d*ck, then again, so was Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and others during their time in Buffalo. I'd rather have a team of S.O.B.'s that win, compared to a bunch of nice guys that lose.

Join the club. Happens to the best of us.

I'll say this, if Polian had made that trade with Ditka, I bet he would have gotten much more than the Redskins did out of all those picks. And they weren't the end-of-each-round picks that Polian has made for the last 10 years, either. Casserly really didn't do much with them except to package a deal to move up to select Bailey, who will end up a HOF CB.

GO BILLS!!!

Join the club. Happens to the best of us.

I'll say this, if Polian had made that trade with Ditka, I bet he would have gotten much more than the Redskins did out of all those picks. And they weren't the end-of-each-round picks that Polian has made for the last 10 years, either. Casserly really didn't do much with them except to package a deal to move up to select Bailey, who will end up a HOF CB.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree 100% that Polian would have gotten more out of that deal.