DO NOT PAY STEVE JOHNSON!

26TrapDraw

Exactly right!

It cracks me up when I read all these trolls ripping on the OP for making a valid point...I'm not saying The Bills should not retain Stevie because he is a good Player and the last thing The Bills need is to lose talent...But anyone who thinks Stevie Johnson is a legit NFL #1 WR is delusional...And thus he should not be paid like one...And I'll go out on a limb and say no other NFL Team is going to pay him like a legit #1 WR either...Not a single one...

The Bills still need a legit #1, and Stevie would be one of the best #2 WR's in the League...That's the way this Offense needs to be built...The Bills still need a #1 WR either through Free Agency, Trade, or the Draft... B-)

Exactly right IMO. Every effort should be made to retain Steve Johnson. He deserves a lucrative contract. You would be paying for one of the very best #2 wideouts in the game. Given that the Bills are a team needing talent, and you are trying to build something here, you maybe even pay him something more than the going rate. But he is clearly not a premier, #1 receiver.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he won't get anything ridiculous but we need to keep him. Who cares how much money he gets. Stop being so concerned about money. Keep the players that are good. Draft good ones instead of ones that don't develop. Keep them too. Repeat. It's the only way.

Hear me out. Stevie Johnson wants to be extended and be paid like a number 1 receiver right? Well i think the prerequisite for making number 1 money is playing like that. I remember hearing Fitz say that he thought Stevie Johnson was one of the best receivers that he has ever seen getting off the line when the defense press covers. Yet in the last 2 games he has been jammed at the line almost all game. I got news for everyone on here and all the people that think we have arrived. Think again. Charlie casserly just did a piece on this. The bills are a timing based offense. We throw quick hitch routes and timing slants. That is how our offense operates. Take that away and this offense is sunk. We do not have the physical receivers to fight through being jammed at the line anywhere on this roster. Stevie Johnson wants 9 or 10 million dollars a year?!?! WTF!?!? The persona that this latest edition of Buffalo Bills is developing is that of a creampuff which is soft and susceptible to a physical team. I am through with the speed guys and the " high motor" guys. Until we get big tough strong physical receivers and overall players for that matter. This is what we will see from here on ot getting overmatched physically on offense and defense. Stevie wants number 1 money he should be a number 1 receiver period. In a contract year he is disappearing and playing mediocre football. Flame away

What would Siri say??

This is yet another thread to prove that Ralph is not nearly as cheap as the fans that follow this team.

Does it really friggin matter how much they pay Stevie? Is it your money? The Bills are well under the cap. They have the money to spend. The team is better with Stevie than without him.

I don't care how much they pay him; just pay him and keep one of the few decent players on the team... on the team.

He is going to get #1 money somewhere.

I like Stevie as much as most, but I completely disagree with that statement...Who exactly is going to give Stevie #1 WR cash?...Future UFA WR's like Welker, DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Lloyd, and Dwayne Bowe may all be ahead of Stevie in most NFL GM's minds come this off-season...Heck after that Group there is Pierre Garcon, Mario Manningham, Braylon Edwards, and Jordy Nelson...

Now...Before anyone gets their panties all up in a wad, I'm not saying all those WR are as good as Stevie...What I am saying is with all these WR's potentially out there, and a REAL decent group coming out of College in April, what Teams GM in his right mind is going to pay Stevie Johnson #1 WR cash?...It's not going to happen...And it shouldn't in Buffalo either... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

32 whole yards minus 1 catch. Its tough to feel confident in an argument based on one play. I even like Stevie and think you grasping to this as iron clad proof is a bit much.

Don't think I ever said that my statement was "iron clad." The OP stated Stevie wasn't playing like a #1, I countered back with a fact. The fact is that Stevie played better against Darelle Revis, better than ANY other #1 receiver that Revis has seen in 3 years. Does it matter that one play was for 52? Not in the least. He made a great move off the line and he made the effort to get open. It wasn't some fluke play. So unfortunetley in the REAL world we have to include those 52 yards in his stats. Plus the 32 yards on 2 catches equates to 16 yards a catch. Not bad against one of the best corners to ever possibly play the game. Is it Stevie's fault he wasn't targeted more? no. Even #1's have down games. Ex. 1 Vincent Jackson 1 catch 20 yards Thursday. Not to mention, Stevie doesn't have any one opposite him that can take the heat off. Does this all mean that Stevie is a #1? Possibly and thats the argument i'm giving the OP.

<br />Don't think I ever said that my statement was "iron clad." The OP stated Stevie wasn't playing like a #1, I countered back with a fact. The fact is that Stevie played better against Darelle Revis, better than ANY other #1 receiver that Revis has seen in 3 years. Does it matter that one play was for 52? Not in the least. He made a great move off the line and he made the effort to get open. It wasn't some fluke play. So unfortunetley in the REAL world we have to include those 52 yards in his stats.  Plus the 32 yards on 2 catches equates to 16 yards a catch. Not bad against one of the best corners to ever possibly play the game. Is it Stevie's fault he wasn't targeted more? no. Even #1's have down games. Ex. 1 Vincent Jackson 1 catch 20 yards Thursday.  Not to mention, Stevie doesn't have any one opposite him that can take the heat off. Does this all mean that Stevie is a #1? Possibly and thats the argument i'm giving the OP.<br />
. He's a number 1 because he caught 2 passes vs revis? He's a number 1 because we don't have anyone better. He's a pretty good WR. He might be worth 10 mill a year to this team or possibly another team that doesn't have any better WR options, but I don't think he's a good number 1. He's a good #2. Not worth 10 mill in my book. Hopefully he'll take 7-9 per to stay in buffalo. I like the guy a lot, but he's not a true difference maker.

. He's a number 1 because he caught 2 passes vs revis? He's a number 1 because we don't have anyone better. He's a pretty good WR. He might be worth 10 mill a year to this team or possibly another team that doesn't have any better WR options, but I don't think he's a good number 1. He's a good #2. Not worth 10 mill in my book. Hopefully he'll take 7-9 per to stay in buffalo. I like the guy a lot, but he's not a true difference maker.

I totally agree. He had a good year (and caught the league by surprise) as a #2 last season, that doesn't automatically mean he is going to be a good #1.

Exactly right IMO. Every effort should be made to retain Steve Johnson. He deserves a lucrative contract. You would be paying for one of the very best #2 wideouts in the game. Given that the Bills are a team needing talent, and you are trying to build something here, you maybe even pay him something more than the going rate. But he is clearly not a premier, #1 receiver.

:thumbsup:

100% agree... B-)

84 yards against Revis. Most by any receiver in 3 years against Revis. Better than A. Johnson, L. Fitzgerald, B. Marshall, W. Welke, R. Moss.. He flat out beat the #1 CB in the league on a 52 yard strike. But yea he sucks, doesn't play like other #1's..... Oh wait.

Good point and a point I noticed that all but one commentator neglected to mention. I think it was Dan the man patrick that gave about 5 minutes of it on his radio show last week. No one has put that many yards on Revis this year or in the past few years. Steivie was thrown to 5 times and caught 4 passes against Revis.. Not bad, certainly we should CUT SJ now.. Sarc/

Tim-

Not bad, certainly we should CUT SJ now.. Sarc/

Sarc/ or not I don't think anyone has come remotely close to saying we should CUT Stevie Johnson... This entire thread is about whether or not Stevie is a #1 WR who deserves #1 WR cash...It's a common misunderstanding that this Board was built on the power of over-exaggeration...But I appreciate your effort to pitch in... ;)

I'm sure he won't get anything ridiculous but we need to keep him. Who cares how much money he gets. Stop being so concerned about money. Keep the players that are good. Draft good ones instead of ones that don't develop. Keep them too. Repeat. It's the only way.

I don't know. Look at Fitz's contract. I would not rule out ridiculous for Johnson at this point.

Stevie Johnson SHOULD BE payed like a number one receiver. He's a solid number one. Who else did you have in mind to be our number one receiver? And please spare me the talk of thinking that we are going to pay another number 1 receiver from another team to come in. And there's not a player on our current roster who can step into a number one roll unfortunately.

It never ceases to amaze me some of the knee jerk reactions that get posted on this board after a win or a loss. Example you say?

sure... we're 4-1 with the worst defense in the league, and people are talking playoffs...

or

We lose a few games and now nobody can find another win on the schedule....

Go ahead and look, these are out there for you to find right now... Maybe a little perspective on the season, sprinkled with just a smidge of restraint before you post would do this board wonders.

yep, lets cut the guy, trade CJ, and punch leodis mckelvin in the face..... good god people. This team is still developing, and the future looks much better than it did a year ago, but they are not a playoff team just yet, so can we please try to enjoy the ride this year? there will be ups and downs the rest of the way, so a grip is something that should be pursued here.

Better to have zero #1 receivers and a quality #2 than zero of both. Sign Stevie.

If I took the time to bother, I would say that off the top of my head SJ is the number one receiver on most teams in the NFL. I can only think of a handful where he wouldn't be number one, and those dudes are making sick cash.. SJ is worth a handsome contract but one where the benefits are tied to performance.

Not to mention, even those teams that have outstanding number 1 receivers would gladly take SJ off our hands and pay him what we would pay him for our number one, what they would for their number two.. So? Offer him 6 million a year for 7 years, with 15 million Gauranteed.. Only an idiot wouldn't take that kind of money!

Tim-

Stevie Johnson SHOULD BE payed like a number one receiver. He's a solid number one. Who else did you have in mind to be our number one receiver? And please spare me the talk of thinking that we are going to pay another number 1 receiver from another team to come in. And there's not a player on our current roster who can step into a number one roll unfortunately.

It depends on your definition of a solid #1 WR...If Fitzgerald, Calvin and Andre Johnson are outstanding #1 WR's then, to me at least, a Player like Dewayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Anquan Boldin would be a solid #1 WR...Stevie Johnson is currently 17th among NFL WR's in yards and his 12.1 average per catch is low for a #1 WR (TE's Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Fred Davis all have better yards-per-catch averages than Stevie)...Stevie's numbers would be great for a #2...He's not a solid #1 though IMHO...As a #1 he's slightly below average...

Why can't the Bills get a decent #1 WR through Free Agency or the Draft?...A guy like Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Gordy Nelson would be 1A to Stevie's 1B if you want to say Stevie is still a #1...This Draft is deep at WR if all the Underclassmen come out as well...I see no reason why The Bills can't pay Stevie like an exceptional #2, or a lower paid #1, then go out and get another solid UFA WR to put on the other side...In fact I think they HAVE to do it in order for this Offense to take the next step...They can't just throw somebody out there next year...They have to get a legit threat on the other side of Stevie...Because Stevie is just not good enough to be a stand-alone #1...He's good, but not THAT good... B-)

Stevie is the perfect guy for the franchise tag. If some team is willing to pay him 10 million a year, you have to let him go. If he gets a reasonable offer, match it and keep him.

I really hope to see him stick around, but overpaying for marginal talent isnt something a margainally talented team does to get better.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

It depends on your definition of a solid #1 WR...If Fitzgerald, Calvin and Andre Johnson are outstanding #1 WR's then, to me at least, a Player like Dewayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Anquan Boldin would be a solid #1 WR...Stevie Johnson is currently 17th among NFL WR's in yards and his 12.1 average per catch is low for a #1 WR (TE's Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Fred Davis all have better yards-per-catch averages than Stevie)...Stevie's numbers would be great for a #2...He's not a solid #1 though IMHO...As a #1 he's slightly below average...

Why can't the Bills get a decent #1 WR through Free Agency or the Draft?...A guy like Bowe, Vincent Jackson, or Gordy Nelson would be 1A to Stevie's 1B if you want to say Stevie is still a #1...This Draft is deep at WR if all the Underclassmen come out as well...I see no reason why The Bills can't pay Stevie like an exceptional #2, or a lower paid #1, then go out and get another solid UFA WR to put on the other side...In fact I think they HAVE to do it in order for this Offense to take the next step...They can't just throw somebody out there next year...They have to get a legit threat on the other side of Stevie...Because Stevie is just not good enough to be a stand-alone #1...He's good, but not THAT good... B-)

Time for another installment of....MATH!

If there are 32 teams in the NFL and SJ currently ranks 17th in receiving statistics, as you've stated, how many WRs are better than SJ? I'll give you a hint, THE ANSWER IS 16. Since 17 is less than 32 it suggests that SJ is indeed a #1 WR.

So are there only 16 legit number 1 WRs in the league? Or do 16 lucky teams have all the #1 WRs in the NFL? Just because SJ is not Megatron, Andre or Larry doesn't mean he's not a top WR.

Time for another installment of....MATH!

If there are 32 teams in the NFL and SJ currently ranks 17th in receiving statistics, as you've stated, how many WRs are better than SJ? I'll give you a hint, THE ANSWER IS 16. Since 17 is less than 32 it suggests that SJ is indeed a #1 WR.

So are there only 16 legit number 1 WRs in the league? Or do 16 lucky teams have all the #1 WRs in the NFL? Just because SJ is not Megatron, Andre or Larry doesn't mean he's not a top WR.

Thanks for the math lesson Mr Professor...

You're point is still off...For numerous reasons I'm too tired to bring up anymore...Math lesson or not...

Genius... :lol:

Thanks for the math lesson Mr Professor...

You're point is still off...For numerous reasons I'm too tired to bring up anymore...Math lesson or not...

Genius... :lol:

Now that you're rested care to give it a shot?

Please explain how the 17th best receiving stats in the league prove without a doubt that SJ is not a #1 WR? Also elaborate how many #1 WRs there are in the league and on what criteria you make that distinction.

You don't have to be a professor to understand that not being a top 5 or top 10 producer at your position does not mean that SJ is not in the top 32. Nice cop out though.

Edited by Jauronimo

Man I knew this would happen. Now that there is no Lee Evans stretching the field and drawing double coverage Stevie looks rather ordinary doesn't he?! I'm not saying Lee was the best WR the Bills have ever had but some people don't realize the contribution that some of these guys make that aren't statistically tracked.

I can't wait for the "Stevie Johnson is not a #1 WR" argument. Of course it won't be from the same people that continually tooled on Evans claiming he wasn't a #1 WR. They did this even though he was really good when he had a QB that could get him the ball deep, really fast and a super class act. I used to think it was just some of the idiots at the top that continually try to run talent out of town. I now realize the fans are as much or more to blame than the front office. It's this idiotic bashing of good players that is at the heart of our problem. We have so many below average guys why people spend time bashing the better performers is beyond me. Fans have called for probowlers and above average performers to be run out of town because they want fair market value for their skills. IT'S NOT OUR MONEY!!! It's Ralph's. He is cheap enough without our support.

There is one indisputable truth of team building in my opinion. Good teams keep their probowl and above average talent and bad teams trade or release their's. How many years have we spent draft picks restocking the same positions over and over? When you get somebody that works and does the job...KEEP THEM. Save your draft picks and focus them on positions that SUCK! If a guy busts his ass and turns from UDFA to repeat probowler pay the damn guy market value for his services.

SERIOUSLY! Really think about that! I'm not saying these guys are the best ever but we have let the likes of Antowaine Winfield, Willis McGahee, Pat Williams, Jason Peters, London Fletcher and Nate Clements leave town because we didn't want to pay them. Those guys are ALL still playing well enough and are starters at their positions. NOW think of how many draft picks we have spent replacing those guys every few years! Just looking at first round picks. We have spent 2 first round picks on DBs. We spent 2 first round picks on RBs. We spent 1 first round pick on DT. (Love Dareus by the way) Imagine if we kept those solid to probowl players on our team and spent draft picks on actual positions of need like RT, G, LBs, pass rushers or WRs? We could be contenders with something we haven't had in a very long time. DEPTH! You can't build depth if you keep using your picks to restock the same 3 or 4 positions ignoring others or using quantity over quality with lower draft picks. Instead of using the draft to fill our holes we create the same holes over and over again because we let our good talent walk.

CAVEATS

1) I was actually ok with letting Nate Clements go because he wanted an ENORMOUS amount of money but would have been ok with retaining him

2) Please spare me the "Player X didn't want to play here" BS. If we took care of them financially and didn't dick them around they would have stayed.

Edited by PDaDdy

Now that you're rested care to give it a shot?

Please explain how the 17th best receiving stats in the league prove without a doubt that SJ is not a #1 WR? Also elaborate how many #1 WRs there are in the league and on what criteria you make that distinction.

You don't have to be a professor to understand that not being a top 5 or top 10 producer at your position does not mean that SJ is not in the top 32. Nice cop out though.

I agree and apply the same philosophy regarding Lee Evans. Since the early 90's every time this team gets two WRs that appear to be pretty good we cut one loose and then complain that the guy left behind isn't as good as we thought. Good teams have multiple good WRs not one pretty good guy that gets double covered constantly.

Edited by PDaDdy

He is a number one pay him like one end of discussion. He isn't a top five guy but he is certainly a top 20 WR and I would put him in the top 15. (And being only 32 teams in the league that makes you a legit number one)

Pay him.

Edited by billsfan89

Here is the thing... Obviously Chan likes running multi-WR sets. So doesn't it stand to reason that to run these 4 (and sometimes 5) WR packages, you would want to have multiple quality receivers? It is imperative that the Bills keep Stevie AND find a suitable 2nd WR (either via the draft or free agency) as well. I am happy with Nelson in his current role, but the Bills need a speedster opposite Stevie to stretch defenses -- someone who sees the ball in the air and says, "That is MINE!"

Like him or not, Stevie is a quality receiver. No, he doesn't deserve Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald money. However, he is a decent middle-tier WR1 and deserves to be paid accordingly. I think it is fair to rank him in the same category as, say, an A. Boldin or S. Holmes. It shouldn't break the bank to retain him AND sign another quality WR too.

This is actually a well thought out post by the OP. We could prob get someone w/ Steve's talent in FA for less money. Also, there is the draft. The money is better spent on getting O-line and pass rusher upgrades.

Why not pay the guy with Stevie type talent who is already on the roster? I think his name is Steve Johnson. Then we can draft an offensive lineman and a pass rusher.

Why not pay the guy with Stevie type talent who is already on the roster? I think his name is Steve Johnson. Then we can draft an offensive lineman and a pass rusher.

It makes so much more sense when you break it down scientifically.

GO BILLS!!!

Hear me out. Stevie Johnson wants to be extended and be paid like a number 1 receiver right? Well i think the prerequisite for making number 1 money is playing like that. I remember hearing Fitz say that he thought Stevie Johnson was one of the best receivers that he has ever seen getting off the line when the defense press covers. Yet in the last 2 games he has been jammed at the line almost all game. I got news for everyone on here and all the people that think we have arrived. Think again. Charlie casserly just did a piece on this. The bills are a timing based offense. We throw quick hitch routes and timing slants. That is how our offense operates. Take that away and this offense is sunk. We do not have the physical receivers to fight through being jammed at the line anywhere on this roster. Stevie Johnson wants 9 or 10 million dollars a year?!?! WTF!?!? The persona that this latest edition of Buffalo Bills is developing is that of a creampuff which is soft and susceptible to a physical team. I am through with the speed guys and the " high motor" guys. Until we get big tough strong physical receivers and overall players for that matter. This is what we will see from here on ot getting overmatched physically on offense and defense. Stevie wants number 1 money he should be a number 1 receiver period. In a contract year he is disappearing and playing mediocre football. Flame away

Lets see how you would play with a lingering groin issue.

yeah we have way to much talent at receiver.......

What part of "in FA" or "the draft" did you not understand?

The issue is not "paying" him, the issue is "paying him" 10 mill a year, which he IS NOT worth. Let's not make another Brad Smith type investment. Wait till he show's he's a #1 before paying him as a #1. 7 mill a year, ok, but no more.

Also, is it correct that we are about 25 million below the cap (I can only seem to find figured from the pre-season). If this is true, we had better spend some money to get an OLB or O-line help in the offseason.

Edited by RyanC883

I don't think Revis believes in garbage time. He wants to shut you down.

Fact is it was garbage time, the game was already on ice. One catch doesn't prove anything. Something happens once its luck, twice a coincidence, three times starts a trend.

SJ is a good #2 receiver at best, just like Lee Evens was!! Pay him what he deserves and bring in a legit # 1.

By this board's standards, if Stevie is a "#2" WR, then there are maybe 8-10 #1 WRs in the entire NFL.

I have had this discussion before. I have always been a Lee Evans supporter and said that despite his production numbers due to play calling and QB incompetence he was a #1. If he wasn't in the "#1 WR" category then there weren't more than 15 or so in the league.

His critics "coincidentally", typically used to think that Trent Edwards was a #1 QB and his lack of production was because Lee wasn't a #1 WR. We obviously know the story about Trent. It remains to be seen what Lee can do if he ever gets healthy and plays. Flacco is a pretty decent QB who at least has a big arm.

I guess Stevie is the new Evans on this site

Pretty much...and it goes on and on and on.

Edited by PDaDdy