Kent Hull Passed Away

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite Bills of all time. Great, great player. I was thinking of changing my Sestak avatar to Kent Hull just the other day.

An excerpt from a Buffalo news article, shows his sense of humor and wit:

•  
    By coincidence, Hull's plane arrived in Buffalo 45 minutes ahead of Kelly's. Kelly rode in a limousine from the airport to a downtown news conference. Hull rode right behind in an equipment van.
    "The way I like to describe it is, Jim rode in on a limo and I rode in on a load of pumpkins," Hull once said.

What a sad day. I remember that story someone related about Kent riding in the equipment van behind Jim Kelly's limo. That seems so appropriate for this blue collar gentleman.

Check out the video where he is visiting the children's hospital.

What a guy. Rest in peace, #67.

RIP Kent :cry:

Jim Kelly's statement:JK

"Words fall short when the pain runs so deep. I’m finding it hard to describe what this loss means to me and my family.

Kent Hull was my best friend.

A man of great courage, faith and character.

He will be missed and never forgotten.

My family and I will continue to pray for Kent’s wife Kay and his two children, Drew and Ellen as they grieve the loss of this great man. "

Came to TBD tonight to announce the birth of the newest Bills fan, as my second son was born this afternoon. Terribly saddened to read this news about Kent. Older fans loved him. You younger ones may not know of him as well as you know Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Bruce and others. But you should. Hell of a player and by all accounts a hell of a man. RIP.

Bills website also put out this

A few tweets from around the league and qoutes from former teammates

"teambryanscottBryan Scott

The Bills family lost a member today... My thoughts and prayers are with the Hull Family.

GWilson37George Wilson

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Hull family. May God guide and keep u all during this difficult time.

mortreportChris Mortensen

Just read about former Bills great - and I mean great - center Kent Hull dead at 50. How devastating. Always felt he should've been in more Pro Bowls & was HOF-debate worthy.

viccarucci: When Hull retired in '96, those covering #Bills held a luncheon for him. He was our consummate go-to guy in that lockerroom.

SI_PeterKingPeter King

One of the most underrated centers, Kent Hull, has died. I knew Kent well, and he was one hell of a guy. I covered the Bills glory teams a lot, and other than Talley and Tasker, Hull was my go-to guy. Honest, helpful, and one heck of a center. Hull once told me before a playoff game: "I love this team. I love this town. We're all so lucky to be here, like Marv [Levy] says, ‘The men who appreciate where they are and what they have and know they're at a special moment in time--those are the men I admired a lot.”

"

This was a dreadful night. Didn't deal with Kent much, but the few times I did, he lived up to his larger than life reputation. Best comment I got was from Thurman:

"We have suffered a tremendous loss. Kent was a teammate, big brother and best friend. My heart breaks for His amazing family. My heart breaks period. He will be a best friend and in my heart forever."

Former Buffalo Bills C Kent Hull dies at 50

Rest in Peace, Kent.

John Wawrow.

I'm only 19 so I missed all the Super Bowl years. My grandmother has been a season ticket holder for almost 30 years and Kent Hull was her favorite player. She loved the guy, absolutely adored him. She is just devastated by this. We had a chance to meet him a few years back at the fieldhouse and got his autograph. What a great guy and a class act. This is so sad and he will be greatly missed. RIP Kent

Wow lost for words, RIP Kent and condolences to your family and friends. All these 90s team guys are my age (Kent a year younger), makes one think about mortality even more.

I am not sure if it is in a link here but Hull came here from the NJ Generals when Kelly was coming from Houston. Sad, sad day for all involved with the Bills.

Truly one of the greats, and that doesn't even compare to the lives he touched off the field.

I remember when I used to subscribe to the old "Shout" magazine (pre-dating internet access), I read an article where Kent Hull was asked to compare the Bills to his stable of horses that he dreamed of owning (or already owned...can't remember now). What he said isn't really important to this topic, but it was just something I enjoyed reading at the time, and I remember thinking that Kent Hull made this offense go. If Jim Kelly was the field general, Kent Hull was his Colonel.

So, so sad. I loved watching him play. I never knew anything about the center position until he came along and demonstrated how important it is. Sounds like a great person, too. RIP.

Maybe Kent will walk up to the Football Gods and give em a stare down .

" Come on now you mean 4 Super bowls and we didn't win one?? You owe us a playoff birth this season ..."

I think the Bills will continue to get timly breaks this season we have some serious help now.

Had to break up the sad tone....glass half full always. RIP Kent ;)

Anybody know the reason for his death, still try to wrap my head around this.

Betweent the pounding from the game and the painkillers and steroids they likely had him on trying to lead a normal life afterwards, there's only so much a body can take. This is a mean freaking game; you don't see a whole lot of old ballplayers.

Andy Levitre needs to start thinking about a new number, 'cuz the #67 needs put away permanently.

See ya Kent and thanks for everything. Wherever you're at brother, I hope it don't hurt no more.

Betweent the pounding from the game and the painkillers and steroids they likely had him on trying to lead a normal life afterwards, there's only so much a body can take. This is a mean freaking game; you don't see a whole lot of old ballplayers.

Andy Levitre needs to start thinking about a new number, 'cuz the #67 needs put away permanently.

See ya Kent and thanks for everything. Wherever you're at brother, I hope it don't hurt no more.

I'd be careful about making any comment WRT that kind of stuff. While it's a generalization for guys who played in that era in the early part of his career, we have NO idea if Kent Hull had issues with that. Unless you know or can reference this as a fact that contributed to his passing, please show some respect until an official cause is released. Using "likely" is a cop-out.

Besides being "the man in the middle" for so long, you couldn'e meet a more down to earth person. I read in the paper on the day he signed his contract he rode to practice in the back of a van? Not sure if anyone else mentioned it. Sorry.

RIP.