Cassell allegedly has cracked ribs

CBD

Sep 4, 2011 - If Nick Wright is to be believed, then Matt Cassel has suffered a cracked rib going back to the last preseason game -- a contest that also cost the Chiefs Tony Moeaki for the season among other smaller injuries. That means his status for the opening week contest against the Buffalo Bills might be in question. Everything is conjecture at this point and it's only a Twitter rumor, but it could prove more to the injury Cassel suffered where he said he simply got the wind knocked out of him.

If the rumors are true, it also exacerbates the quarterback situation for KC heading into the regular season since Ricky Stanzi is obviously inexperienced as a fifth round rookie who didn't even play the last preseason game. Tyler Palko is the only other quarterback on the roster, and no Chiefs fan can feel good about him playing any role whatsoever in 2011. Simply put, without Cassel, the Chiefs have some major issues on their hands.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2011/9/4/2404865/kansas-city-chiefs-matt-cassel-reportedly-suffers-cracked-rib

Here's the tweet from Nick Wright, who appears to work for 610am in Kansas City:

@getnickwright nick wright

SCOOP - Matt Cassel suffered a cracked rib in the #Chiefs final preseason game. Status for week 1 is not yet determined.

Edit, another report:

Matt Cassel could miss the season opener against the Bills with a rib injury.

Coach Todd Haley reportedly told backup QB Tyler Palko, "You'd better be ready to play Sunday." Cassel suffered the injury when Packers DT Howard Green planted him in the second quarter of the preseason finale. Cassel originally said he only had the wind knocked out, but it now looks more serious. With Tony Moeaki (ACL tear) also lost for the season, Haley will be second-guessed for playing his starters deep into the final exhibition game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/211713/football-headlines?r=1 Edited by Carey Bender

I think KC was something like 30th in passing yards last year. They only asked Cassell to manage the game while they ran the ball down peoples' throats. Obviously it means something when the starting QB is hurt, but is less meaningful on a team that doesn't ask the QB to do a lot. (Assuming the philosophy is the same this year as last).

They will also be handicapped at TE, they put Moeaki on IR so hes out.

If they are without Cassel also and we can stop the run game the Bills could come out of Arrowhead with a huge upset win.

They will be sky high if they win this game and I think they can with or without Cassel.

Cassel or no Cassel, beating the Chiefs will come down to stopping the run.

Even with him, the Chiefs will look to pound it down our throats all day. W/O, it would be the same just a bit harder for them to spread us out.

Which is why this game should show us just how much the run defense has really improved this season. I wish it was this Sunday!

Edited by CodeMonkey

Which is why this game should show us just how much the run defense has really improved this season. I wish it was this Sunday!

True that. At least we won't allow them to run the same play repeatedly like last year. I remember Weis saying something to the extent that they did so and our defense, specifically the LBs did nothing to alter their formations. Sad. But I don't see that crap happening w/ Wanny and our new backers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/report-cassel-could-miss-opener-with-rib-injury/

"The Chiefs lost their second leading receiver from 2010 Tony Moeaki for the season because of an injury in the game. Their starting quarterback is also banged up.

Nick Wright of 610 Sports and Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reports Matt Cassel has a rib injury that could keep him out of the season opener against the Bills. Wright reports Cassel has a cracked rib. And that could expose one of the shakiest backup quarterback situations in the league."

Things are looking very good for us on Sunday.

you know what they say...the best defense is a bad opposing offense...or something like that...

He probably won't be on the field much.

Merriman, Kyle Williams and Dareus are the QB killas now.

that's the plan...3 starters wear 'em down and moats comes in and ends their career... x13 different teams = fitzpatrick is the only one left standing for the probowl...

Edited by madtowntobuffalo

Schefter just speculated on ESPN that Cassell will play Sunday.

I have a feeling they'll run the ball ALOT if he's playing injured. The Chiefs know what Williams, Dareus and Merriman are capable of. Obviously I think they'll pass when necessary, but expect a large dose of Jones/Charles if Cassel isn't 100%

Kansas City is beatable, and even more beatable without Cassell. It would be great to start the season with a win and would probably let other teams know we're in it to win it. I really think this team will be the definitive statement of what kind of team we have this season.

I'm looking for discipline and aggressiveness on defense. No dumb penalties, aggressive pass coverage, and more than anything else, run-stopping AND pass rushing from the front seven.

I think we can establish a very good running game with Jackson, open up the passing after we've done that, and hope for the best.

One game at a time.

Update:

Cassell practiced today:

Cassel was in pads to take snaps on Monday at Chiefs practice, according to the Kansas City Star. Multiple reports in Kansas City said Cassel was at risk of missing practice; Nick Wright of 610 Sports reported Cassel has a cracked rib.

Rib injuries are often a pain tolerance issue. If Cassel can throw passes at practice Monday, the odds would seem fairly good that he’d at least try to throw them Sunday against the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/matt-cassel-practices-following-rib-injury/