Bills Talking Contract Extension with Parrish

Arkady Renko

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, you're another one I respect greatly here. But I don't get this post. Roscoe is not a "gadget player." He is our starting slot receiver, he brings much-needed speed to the offense, and he happens to be one of the greatest punt returners in NFL history. As long as the extension doesn't prohibit them from addressing other needs, I can't see why anyone would complain about this.

I would rather them extend Stevie and Freddy first, but as long as the Bills get contracts for the right players, I really cannot complain.

Roscoe is definitely ballsy with the routes he runs across the middle, but he is injury prone because of it. He is a great punt returner, and wasn't appreciated under DJ. I'm glad to see him develop more under Chan.

He had one year with the highest return avg. But even in that year, he returned a lot fewer punts than other return leaders (Devin Hester was, by far, the best punt returner that year). The next year, he only returned 21 punts all year and went from 2 fair catches to 10. The year after that (2009), he only returned 24 punts, his avg had dropped to an incredible 5.5 yds and he fair caught 13 and fumbled 4.

Clearly, Parrish's days as "the best punt returner in NFL history" are way behind him. He's lost interest ("disappeared")in that part of his game.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I hated the Evans trade, and I think it's sort of unconscionable that they couldn't come up with a way for him to be part of the game plan, but that being said... is it so far-fetched that Gailey would have said as much to the FO, and that Nix and Overdorf conferred on it and Overdorf took it from there? I still don't like the value they got for him, or the notion that Overdorf would be pulling the strings... but it's true, they do seem to be spending *some* money, if not enough. An extension for Roscoe is either proof that they do spend on things they want, or of the extremely upsetting idea that they'd overpay some guys to show the public that they are willing to spend money.

An extension for Roscoe should cue Fred Jackson to go postal on OBD, though. I know you should pay for anticipated future production as opposed to past work, but what reason has Roscoe ever given to show he's not the least bit replaceable? He can be an asset in this offense, that fourth round draft pick in the 2012 season might turn out to be equal to or better than his work. Fred, OTOH, has done some special things for this offense - special things that we're still waiting for CJ Spiller to do.

He had one year with the highest return avg. But even in that year, he returned a lot fewer punts than other return leaders (Devin Hester was, by far, the best punt returner that year). The next year, he only returned 21 punts all year and went from 2 fair catches to 10. The year after that (2009), he only returned 24 punts, his avg had dropped to an incredible 5.5 yds and he fair caught 13 and fumbled 4.

Clearly, Parrish's days as "the best punt returner in NFL history" are way behind him. He's lost interest ("disappeared")in that part of his game.

This ^

You are more than welcome to your opinion, but just because yours is different doesn't mean mine is "wrong". Roscoe will go over the middle I never disputed that, however it usually ends up with him leaving the game....The guy HAS iffy hands, if you don't agree with that I understand. He has made some pretty nice catches, I will admit. He also has dropped many catches that other receivers would normally make. This isn't a talent thing, he is short, has short arms, and small hands...he can only do so much.

Almost all of Parrish's injuries happened in practice, and/or weren't the result of normal contact getting hit hard. His two major injuries were to his wrist. He was also out from a thumb injury for several games. It's arguable that because his wrists are small he is more apt to get them hurt but that is a stretch. His first one came from diving for a pass in practice and landing wrong on it. His current injury was a hamstring in practice. I went back and looked at all his injuries from Rotoworld news and only found one game he missed because of a normal contact injury when he hurt his knee in a game 15. He also missed half a game from a hamstring. He was nicked up a lot and missed practice a lot but didn't miss games. He's absolutely fearless, and has great hands, IMO.

An extension for Roscoe should cue Fred Jackson to go postal on OBD, though. I know you should pay for anticipated future production as opposed to past work, but what reason has Roscoe ever given to show he's not the least bit replaceable? He can be an asset in this offense, that fourth round draft pick in the 2012 season might turn out to be equal to or better than his work. Fred, OTOH, has done some special things for this offense - special things that we're still waiting for CJ Spiller to do.

Well said

I hated the Evans trade, and I think it's sort of unconscionable that they couldn't come up with a way for him to be part of the game plan, but that being said... is it so far-fetched that Gailey would have said as much to the FO, and that Nix and Overdorf conferred on it and Overdorf took it from there? I still don't like the value they got for him, or the notion that Overdorf would be pulling the strings... but it's true, they do seem to be spending *some* money, if not enough. An extension for Roscoe is either proof that they do spend on things they want, or of the extremely upsetting idea that they'd overpay some guys to show the public that they are willing to spend money.

And the legend of "Fred Jackson" continues to grow...

Dont get me wrong, I love Freddie, but looking at his production I fail to see these "special things" that have people believing he deserves to be first in line for a new contract (with 2 years remaining on his deal).

2010 927yds, 5 TDs, 2 RecTDs, 5 Fumbles

2009 1062 yds, 2 TDs, 2 RecTDs, 2 Fumbles

Thats about it...

If Roscoe is easily replaceable, Fred is even more so.

Dont get me wrong, I love Freddie, but looking at his production I fail to see these "special things" that have people believing he deserves to be first in line for a new contract (with 2 years remaining on his deal).

Thats about it...

I beg to differ. Roscoe is an underachiever - always an excuse about why he has not lived up to his potential. FJ on the other hand has performed consistently no matter the situation and also blocks well - a strong requirement to support our weak OL and to account for blitzes.

Thats about it...

You're forgetting that he's never been the #1 back over the course of an entire season, and that the run blocking has been dismal during his tenure. He has been a versatile all-purpose back who does whatever you ask him to, and as a between-the-tackles option there is no one better here. If it were so easy to replace him, the so-called most talented RB in last year's draft would have done so when given the chance. I'm a believer in Fred. He is not Chris Johnson, but he doesn't bring his baggage or attitude, and he is the kind of team player the Bills are usually rewarding. Roscoe has been more of a malcontent (mostly due to the way Jauron used him - I can't blame him) and has rarely played a full season. He's a nice player to have as your #5WR with some designed plays out of the slot. He is fearless. But he is definitely not irreplaceable.

I beg to differ. Roscoe is an underachiever - always an excuse about why he has not lived up to his potential. FJ on the other hand has performed consistently no matter the situation and also blocks well - a strong requirement to support our weak OL and to account for blitzes.

You just don't understand that Roscoe is Wes Welker without the smarts, durability, and production.

thats kind of surprising. might not be a bad move but i think i'd rather wait to see if he can stay healthy before extending him

Agreed. The guy is small and can't take a hit without being injured. Thanks Donahoe, Ugh...

Thats about it...

I think most people would agree that Fred Jackson has been better than all of our 1st round draft pick RB's going back quite some time. I would argue that Thurman Thomas and Travis Henry (he's a dirt bag, but was good with the Bills) were the only backs in recent history that we have had that are better than Jackson. So it doesn't seem he's so easily replaceable to me...

We've had such guys as Antwan Smith, Willis Mcgahee, Marshawn Lynch, and now Spiller (I still think he can prove himself, but he is Jacksons backup right now)...All 1st round picks...all except spiller moving on with out proving themselves to be starters. The numbers you have shown for Fred are pretty impressive considering his limited playing time and awful o-line.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Thats about it...

He got 927 yards at 4.2 yards a CLIP on a 4-12 team, and it is NOT his fault he is underutilized! Talk about taking a lame angle and trying to bend it to your argument. Here ya go:

1062 yards, 236 attempts, 4.5 ypc 11 STARTS, 46 receptions, 376 yards

927 yards, 222 attempts, 4.2 ypc 13 STARTS, 31 receptions, 215 yards

Thurman Thomas's second year:

1989 Buffalo Bills, 9-7

1244 yards, 298 attempts, 4.2 ypc STARTS: 16, 60 receptions, 670 yards

So NOW it is Fred Jackson's fault the offense is putrid? NOPE, not buying it. He's underappreciated on a bad team, and now he has to be disrespected by some here when all he does is PRODUCE when the opportunity is presented itself?

SHAME

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article541137.ece

If moving Evans was only a cost-cutting move, why wouldn't they move Parrish instead at $3.3M a year?

Because, in limitted action last year, Scoe proved that he's more of a well rounder WR. He's faster than Evans = deep threat, and he can catch the ball in space and make plays...this equates to a better WR, IMHO.

Hester is by far the greatest punt returner I have ever seen. But I still believe that Roscoe is up there in regards to current returners. He is explosive in the open field and can make people miss. He wasn't given many opportunities after that fumble against Cleveland a few years back, which was an awful play.

The question you should be asking is why in the hell we would resign Parrish who is ALWAYS hurt, and not resign Fitzpatrick? Now I am COMPLETELY convinced they have no future plans that are in any way logical.

The reason why Fitz isn't being extended yet is the Bills want to see if last year was a fluke or not, and because re-signing him, a QB, is an order of magnitude higher in money than Roscoe would be. Speaking of which, I'm all for a reasonable deal for Roscoe. But anything more than what he was making ($3.3M/year) is overpaying, unless there are provisions for missing games due to injury.

Guess this proves two things to the collective group of naysayers ...

#1 - Roscoe is not going to be one of the surprise cuts of 2011

and

#2 - As already stated in this thread ... the Lee Evans trade (yes, we should have received more back from the Ravens then a lousy 4th rounder) was not about saving Ralph some cash. Although we may never know whether it was Lee asking for a trade, Gailey's not being happy with his lack of interest in over the middle plays, the over abundance of talent (hopefully) at wideout or something else.

parrish is a great player and a dangerous weapon, but how many more of those types of player do WE need?

why not let him walk and then use the saved money to invest into the offensive line. there are plenty of people on our team that can play the slot, starting with spiller.

Fred Jackson is really going to be pissed now.

Thats about it...

In the last 3 years we have watched Fred Jackson outproduce 2 1st rd round RBs. How is he easily replaceable?

So "the offense being horrible, and the coaches under-utilizing him" is an ok excuse for Fred, but does not apply to Roscoe throughout the Jauron years?

Ok guys...

Quite the opposite Dr., FJ produces despite all these factors hampering him. Roscoe has not. Only place I think FJ lacks is EZ production.

A fickle group we are here at the stadium wall.

All part of the fiendish plot to spend money to hide the fact that Ralph is cheap. Bwah-hah-hah.

PTR

And everyone thinks the front office is so dumb. It takes a lot of intelligence to be cheap but to hide it at the same time.

As for my take on Parrish, I see nothing wrong with extending his contract. He showed what he can bring to the table last year. Not too many people can stay with this man one on one. He is a dangerous weapon. And whether he has had his share of injuries or not, he helps this team. A lot of u guys are always biatching that we don't keep our players. Now we are trying to keep some of our players and it's still not good enough. Fickle I say.

So "the offense being horrible, and the coaches under-utilizing him" is an ok excuse for Fred, but does not apply to Roscoe throughout the Jauron years?

Ok guys...

Point is that FJ was STILL under utilized by gailey until about 1/3 of the way thru the season. Roscoe was very much utilized until he proved once again that durability is a question for him. Jauron certainly didn't know what to do with him, or with anybody on offense, for that matter. This doesn't change the fact that the Bills FO appears to have respect for Roscoe when at least the same is due Freddie.

Thats about it...

Did you factor in the number of games where he was the feature back? Because for both years, it wasn't until something like 3 games in. He wasn't seeing the ball all that much at the beginning of the seasons. I believe Roscoe is more replaceable than Freddie, but in all honesty, I think both are necessary for the team to improve.

I like this move if only because the guys shown that he can play in this system. Evans did not, why wouldnt we extend the guy that plays the ideal slot for us. Hes fast enough, but where he gets people is that he is really quick, and tougher than the 175 lbs he is. Good player who never fit what we were trying to do here when he was under contract for the past few years.

I dont get it, reminds me of extending Kelsay. A 175lb slot receiver who can't stay healthy and will be 30 next year? Here's the reality. Parrish's career stats in 6 years are are 133 receptions for 1486 yards. Thats a per season average of 22 catches for 248 yards. His season high for receiving TD's is a whopping 2, his career high for receiving yards is 400. He does have 13 career fumbles with 6 lost though. His production is as imaginary as Spiller's 50 yard TD runs. He's averaged 11 games played a year for the last 3 years. So actually it makes perfect sense, in a Bills dysfunctional front office way.

I don't disagree with anything that you say and if you look at it from the "dysfunctional" front office view, I guess it's perfectly clear.

The only thing I disagree with your stats is that if you took what he did last year in 8 games and if you carry those stats through the year, those are some pretty decent numbers. Can't argue the staying healthy fact because so far he can't but IF he can, it does promise at least some entertainment out of the slot.

The most important thing that I need to know though billsfan714, who is that in your avatar???? Good Lord!!

Edited by flomoe

Can I ask a question to all of you who are griping about this?

As long as it's a reasonable contract with language that protects the Bills in the case of injury (which I'm sure they'd insist on), and it doesn't preclude them from spending money in other areas (it won't - that's a Bills Fan Myth), why do you freaking care? It's not like it's your money.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

As long as it's a reasonable contract with language that protects the Bills in the case of injury (which I'm sure they'd insist on), and it doesn't preclude them from spending money in other areas (it won't - that's a Bills Fan Myth), why do you freaking care? It's not like it's your money.

Actually, I would argue it IS our money. Where do you think that money comes from? Us, every time we buy a ticket or purchase merchandise.

That being said, so long as the contract is reasonable it isn't a big deal...It just seems like it would make a whole lot more sense to see if Parrish can actually stay healthy and be a productive player for a whole season first. Personally I think I'd rather see the young prospects make this team over him.

You may have forgotten that much of what happened was the result of the way teams punted to the Bills that year BECAUSE he is such a weapon.

I know that there are a lot of Roscoe haters and Evans lovers on this board. The one thing that I always found amusing is that, notwithstanding the difference is size, Roscoe never had a problem going over the middle. Evans on the other hand . . . .

I like this move if only because the guys shown that he can play in this system. Evans did not, why wouldnt we extend the guy that plays the ideal slot for us. Hes fast enough, but where he gets people is that he is really quick, and tougher than the 175 lbs he is. Good player who never fit what we were trying to do here when he was under contract for the past few years.

Chan needs another wild cat QB 0:)

For 8 games last year Roscoe = Maybin. Yep sounds like he deserves an extension to me.

I do not understand what the rush to extend him is. At least wait until the season is half over to see what his play is like and if he stays healthy. I would do the same thing with Stevie and Fitz. Last year may have been an aberration you know like Jairus Byrd’s rookie year.

Hester is by far the greatest punt returner I have ever seen. But I still believe that Roscoe is up there in regards to current returners. He is explosive in the open field and can make people miss. He wasn't given many opportunities after that fumble against Cleveland a few years back, which was an awful play.

Roscoe is a mediocre punt returner at this point--steadily declined after his "record year". In fact, now that he is the slot, I bet he doesn't want to return punts anymore.

The reason why Fitz isn't being extended yet is the Bills want to see if last year was a fluke or not, and because re-signing him, a QB, is an order of magnitude higher in money than Roscoe would be. Speaking of which, I'm all for a reasonable deal for Roscoe. But anything more than what he was making ($3.3M/year) is overpaying, unless there are provisions for missing games due to injury.

Why wouldn't the Bills want to see if Roscoe's 8 games of productivity (and health) were a fluke or not?

As for my take on Parrish, I see nothing wrong with extending his contract. He showed what he can bring to the table last year. Not too many people can stay with this man one on one. He is a dangerous weapon. And whether he has had his share of injuries or not, he helps this team. A lot of u guys are always biatching that we don't keep our players. Now we are trying to keep some of our players and it's still not good enough. Fickle I say.

I don't think anyone is saying "don't keep Roscoe". Just don't see why we have to extend him now when he hasn't seen a snap since Nov 7, 2010.

Can I ask you a question? Let's say Roscoe has a great September and then is injured and is out for a few more games, or goes on IR (there is a high probablility this happens). Would you extend him then? Would you look back and say "I'm glad we etended him in preseason?

You may have forgotten that much of what happened was the result of the way teams punted to the Bills that year BECAUSE he is such a weapon.

I know that there are a lot of Roscoe haters and Evans lovers on this board. The one thing that I always found amusing is that, notwithstanding the difference is size, Roscoe never had a problem going over the middle. Evans on the other hand . . . .

His average dropped to 5.5 yards and he fair caught 13 balls. If he took 2 giant steps and laid down, he wouuld have had longer average return. Those aren't good numbers. DeSean Jackson and Josh Cribbs were still fielding a lot of punts.....

Anyway, Evans looked good going over the middle in the week 2 Balt game last week. At what point did he tell the coaching staff that he refused to go over the middle? Does he simply run a different route than the opne called in the huddle?

I'm cool with it. The way he looked last year before his injury was eye opening to say the least. Gailey can salvage this guy and make him a serious threat in the slot. Just keep him healthy.

"before his injury" is the key phrase here. Roscoe is a very small guy. Not like short small, like slight small.