Update

And to expand on that even more, can you tell me if I'm "hot" or "cold" when I predict that the Bills will try to trade into the end of Round 1 to take Kaepernick (and that the Ponder Love is a smokescreen)?

Coach. I don't know for sure. But I believe they would be happy with either one if the draft takes them that way.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NGU, any insight (of course this is dependent on who goes in the 1st round) as to the Bills thinking regarding taking a QB in the later rounds. Are they set on taking a QB, or do they have a limited list and would perfer to load up on D this year if none of the limited-list QB's are available?

NGU, any thoughts on blockers? Does the OL seem to be a high priority?

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

I am also hoping they see RT as a priority and even adding another G. Personally, I like James Carpenter. I think he could project to either position.

Dear Delusional,

You seen to be under the impression that NGU is actually Buddy Nix. In fact, he is a poster who is kind enough to stop in at this board and provide us with insights that we would otherwise not be privy to. Why, in your pathetic need to somehow show off to board full of strangers, you have chosen to act as if picking an argument with NGU will change the Bills' draft process, I will never understand (being a person of sound mind myself). Personally, I don't care much for Newton as a person, but I don't see how screaming about it online will make a difference, nor am I foolish enough to think anyone here really cares about my feelings. Please grow up and learn to shut your mouth. Your slurry of unsolicited aggressive responses lessens other peoples' ability to enjoy the board.

Very well said. Thank you for echoing what I assume to be many of our feelings.

Dear Delusional,

You seen to be under the impression that NGU is actually Buddy Nix. In fact, he is a poster who is kind enough to stop in at this board and provide us with insights that we would otherwise not be privy to. Why, in your pathetic need to somehow show off to board full of strangers, you have chosen to act as if picking an argument with NGU will change the Bills' draft process, I will never understand (being a person of sound mind myself). Personally, I don't care much for Newton as a person, but I don't see how screaming about it online will make a difference, nor am I foolish enough to think anyone here really cares about my feelings. Please grow up and learn to shut your mouth. Your slurry of unsolicited aggressive responses lessens other peoples' ability to enjoy the board.

To NGU:

What I would like to hear from NGU is if he has any ideas about the 2nd and 3rd rds of the draft. Has the brass considered that if we go Miller/Dareus in the 1st rd, we would use he 2nd pick for a TE like Rudolph or another QB they like (I like Kaepernick, but that's irrelevant), or is that really not on their radar? Thanks for your time. Always glad to see you post.

I really don't, but it doesn't/shouldn't work that way. They are always aware of needs, but Buddy will simply stick to his board. Not that there can't be a tie between players, but it doesn't happen that often. There are so many holes currently that the team can go best available in every round. At the end of the draft they will fill in any glaring gaps with undrafted players.

I really don't, but it doesn't/shouldn't work that way. They are always aware of needs, but Buddy will simply stick to his board. Not that there can't be a tie between players, but it doesn't happen that often. There are so many holes currently that the team can go best available in every round. At the end of the draft they will fill in any glaring gaps with undrafted players.

Thanks for answering! From your answer I take that the FO really isn't ruling out ANY position based upon the players we currently have in place. I am glad to see us adopt a true best player available strategy over a hierarchy of needs. I feel we have missed out on several good players using the needs-based approach in the past; to our detriment.

NGU - can you clarify if Newton/Dareus in your original post means Newton is 1 and Dareus is 2, or are they equal? Who would they take if they had a chance at both?

Also, assuming the pick is Newton, do you know what their plan is for him? The obvious thought is that he sits for a year under Fitz, Fitz's contract expires, and he is handed the job in year two, with maybe some "Tebow" package in 2011. Has that been talked about at all?

Green would be electrifying. If they are taking BPA at 3 I would grab him or P Petersen. Who the Heck wouldnt want the next Revis on this team. Green may be the next beast reciever in the NFL. I would not past on either. Outside of those 2, in a trade down we would still get a heck of a player as well as another second atleast. Cant wait to see how this plays out.

Just said on NFL network the pick might be Peterson. NGU i know people have been bombarding you about the draft, but is there any truth to this? Is Peterson a possibility?

Not my first choice, but I wouldn't mind the pick as long as we draft a big nasty in the second round. now if we draft Peterson and then follow that with a Ponder, then I'll be fuming.

Thanks NGU!

You rule.

You even took town some off the trolls on this board that many of us ignore. Nice work!

I would love to be in room during the role playing meetings.

#34 is far more interesting than #3.

All 4 of those players can be game changers.

Doesn't sound like a trade down is in the works. I'd personally would jump for joy if we took Cam Jordan, an extra second round, fourth round with our #3 overall than any of the 4 prospects mentioned.

AJ Green is a bad man, 3 months ago I would be in the "throw a brick through the TV" camp but after looking into him more I wouldnt mind. Look at the WRs, Nix was involved in drafting in San Diego.

Fans will lose it if they take Green over Miller. I wouldn't though.

Maybin was a reach by a head coach deperate for a pass rusher. Buddy Nix will not draft a player based soley on need or to sell tickets. You should be happy about that. Everyone is capable of missing on a player. But Nix will only go by his evaluation.

Maybin may have had a clean record, but there is no comparison from an ability standpoint. Newton would probably be a better defensive end than Maybin if they lined him up there tomorrow.

That is awesome news, thank you for that info Ngu and always appreciate your valued insight into the inner workings at OBD

On the last comment, I saw the difference in photos of Maybin pre-combine and at the combine, the kid put on 20lbs of muscle and looked like he had just completed the PX90 program. although he ran a 4.85 at the combine, he ran a much improved 4.59 at his pro day 40.vert leap and Broad Jumped 10' 9'' At 6'4 250 lbs he is very close to Cam Newton physically, BTW Newton ran a 4.58- 4.59 at the combine.... kinda eerily similar

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/maybin_significantly_lowers_40.html

My comparison between the two players was based on how much of a project they both are concerning their abilities to develop into NFL starters, Maybin had a huge learning curve to get thru and still hasn't progressed. Newton's learning curve is much much higher and tougher as an NFL QB he will need to eventually throw from the pocket, read defenses, call protections, learn the verbiage, call alerts et al. The simple fact that he was caught cheating on his exams 3x at Fla makes me think this kid is going to have trouble making the transition into the NFL.

NGU,

Where is Gabbert ranked with the Bills?

Guys, Gabbert is our trade down carrot.

Stop pestering NGU about Gabbert.

The official statement to the NFL is that Nix loves Gabbert and can't wait to pick him.

Thanks for the info, NGU!

This year it looks like most of you have it figured out. Newton/Dareus at the top of the board. Unfortunately both will likely be gone as you all know. It looks like Miller or AJ Green.

I know none of this is earth shattering. Last year there were just alot more scenarios.

If anything changes I wil let you know. It has been entertaining watching Miller move up on most expert's boards. I am sure the AJ Green talk will pick up now.

All 4 of these players are studs. You should be happy. Enjoy the draft!

Guys, Gabbert is our trade down carrot.

Stop pestering NGU about Gabbert.

The official statement to the NFL is that Nix loves Gabbert and can't wait to pick him.

I think the Bills are going to take him... and it's silly to just blow him off like that.

Why?

#1 2nd year HC and GM are not going to gamble their tenure in Buffalo to a journeyman quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick

#2 The Bills have stated they would like to get a QB in the draft and Nix stated in an interview on 103.3 The Edge that the QB's after Gabbert and Newton aren't much better than Fitz (paraphrasing). So it's QB at #3 or no QB at all this draft.

#3 The Bills have stated over and over that if a franchise QB is there they have to take him. In the same interview today on 103.3 Nix said he believes Newton and Gabbert have an above average chance of being a franchise QB.

#4 Ralph Wilson stated on multiple occasions last season that the Bills need to find a QB. I'm sure Nix was listening.

#5 It's a QB driven league and we don't have one. Who are we kidding if we really believe Fitz is going to take us to the playoffs vs. Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc.

All signs point to Blaine Gabbert. Newton is going #1. Dareus will go to Denver. Miller is out... we have Moats who had 3 sacks in 4 games last year and showed he has the ability to play. Green will be a great player but WR is the deepest position on the team. And last time i checked...the top WR's in the league didn't get very far in the playoffs. They are nice to have but not vital to a franchise's success. Peterson would be a luxury pick and won't help us stop the run or rush the passer... and you don't take CB's that high in the draft for a reason. You don't rebuild franchise's around them.

Edited by InDaZone

#1 2nd year HC and GM are not going to gamble their tenure in Buffalo to a journeyman quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick

#2 The Bills have stated they would like to get a QB in the draft and Nix stated in an interview on 103.3 The Edge that the QB's after Gabbert and Newton aren't much better than Fitz (paraphrasing). So it's QB at #3 or no QB at all this draft.

#3 The Bills have stated over and over that if a franchise QB is there they have to take him. In the same interview today on 103.3 Nix said he believes Newton and Gabbert have an above average chance of being a franchise QB.

#4 Ralph Wilson stated on multiple occasions last season that the Bills need to find a QB. I'm sure Nix was listening.

#5 It's a QB driven league and we don't have one. Who are we kidding if we really believe Fitz is going to take us to the playoffs vs. Brady, Manning, Rivers, etc.

All signs point to Blaine Gabbert. Newton is going #1. Dareus will go to Denver. Miller is out... we have Moats who had 3 sacks in 4 games last year and showed he has the ability to play. Green will be a great player but WR is the deepest position on the team. And last time i checked...the top WR's in the league didn't get very far in the playoffs. They are nice to have but not vital to a franchise's success. Peterson would be a luxury pick and won't help us stop the run or rush the passer... and you don't take CB's that high in the draft for a reason. You don't rebuild franchise's around them.

Ummmm...It's hard to argue against your logic. Not sold on Moats and would prefer Dareus. Gabbert is my #2 choice.

Dear Delusional,

To NGU:

What I would like to hear from NGU is if he has any ideas about the 2nd and 3rd rds of the draft. Has the brass considered that if we go Miller/Dareus in the 1st rd, we would use he 2nd pick for a TE like Rudolph or another QB they like (I like Kaepernick, but that's irrelevant), or is that really not on their radar? Thanks for your time. Always glad to see you post.

Where do you guys get this stuff from.... from what I read in this thread Ngu first posted in this forum that Buddy Nix would be the next GM. I'm not under any impression who Ngu is, nor have I ever stated such.

Exactly how am I showing off by stating the truth? Did you actually read who I was responding to, it wasn't Ngu. Another poster made a comment t and all I was doing was responding to it., which is my right. If you don't like what I write then feel free to put me on ignore or don't read my posts, but first I'd suggest you gain some reading comprehension because my post you quoted was not a response directed at Ngu

Why don't you follow your own advice and grow up and learn to shut your mouth! ... better yet go have a beer and relax, the only screaming going on must be inside your head

Very well thought out logic.

However you're missing one point Nix and Gailey have to believe that Gabbert is a " franchise QB." they're not going to just take a QB to take a QB.

Very well thought out logic.

However you're missing one point Nix and Gailey have to believe that Gabbert is a " franchise QB." they're not going to just take a QB to take a QB.

Exactly...

One thing everyone on this Board needs to remember should The Bills pull the upset and take Gabbert is the fact that Chan HAS to be completely sold on the Kid...No way is Buddy going to take a chance on Gabbert unless Chan is literally glowing about the Kid...Gailey is the resident QB expert, and the HC...If he does not see Gabbert as a can't-miss Franchise QB in 2-4 years NO WAY The Bills take that gamble...No possible way...

I've said all along it would be SO hard for Gailey to look at the total package (albeit the completely unfinished total package) that is Blaine Gabbert and not get excited about Coaching the Kid...Name a YOUNG QB in Gailey's NFL Career that scratches Gabbert's potential? I just think with his smarts and athletic ability Gabbert has almost zero bust potential...It's going to take time, and he may not turn out to be a Top 5 QB...But I think in 3-5 years he'll be Top 10, and if that happens he may get WAY better from there on in due to his intelligence...We'll see I guess...I just hate the idea of a guy like Harbaugh getting a hold of that Kid and making him an NFL Star QB taking SF back to prominence...That would suck SO bad... B-)

Taking Green would be so rough. Stevie, Lee, Roscoe, Jones, Nelson, Easley etc. Oh well. Thursday can't come soon enough.

I don't want us to take Green. On the other hand, frankly, bringing a true #1 wideout into the building would be the making of Stevie and the rest IMO.

As it is right now, they are good or potentially good. There's a somewhat controversial book that claims "good is the enemy of great".

A top-notch WR talent would show them what they really have to do to become elite, and no, Stevie, never coming back for the ball, never defending a missed pass, and all those drops...you're good man.

That is awesome news, thank you for that info Ngu and always appreciate your valued insight into the inner workings at OBD

On the last comment, I saw the difference in photos of Maybin pre-combine and at the combine, the kid put on 20lbs of muscle and looked like he had just completed the PX90 program. although he ran a 4.85 at the combine, he ran a much improved 4.59 at his pro day 40.vert leap and Broad Jumped 10' 9'' At 6'4 250 lbs he is very close to Cam Newton physically, BTW Newton ran a 4.58- 4.59 at the combine.... kinda eerily similar

http://blog.pennlive.com/bobflounders/2009/03/maybin_significantly_lowers_40.html

My comparison between the two players was based on how much of a project they both are concerning their abilities to develop into NFL starters, Maybin had a huge learning curve to get thru and still hasn't progressed. Newton's learning curve is much much higher and tougher as an NFL QB he will need to eventually throw from the pocket, read defenses, call protections, learn the verbiage, call alerts et al. The simple fact that he was caught cheating on his exams 3x at Fla makes me think this kid is going to have trouble making the transition into the NFL.

I hear you Harvey. You should have concerns about Newton's character. However every one of the top 5 players has something to be concerned about from their past. Some are just more publicized than others.

Definitely not on board with the Maybin/Newton comparison. Maybin's issues are not based on a learning curve to play DE. It is work ethic and athletic ability. I am sure you can see how stiff Maybin is. That is defintely not Newton. If there were not so many intangibles with the QB position, he would be an easy choice.

Man, i'm on the road for a day and late to the party. But see guys, the guys who kept making threads to ask NGU for updates, he came back just like he said he would when he had something to give us. Let's all remember that next year. :thumbsup:

you don't take a linebacker with a top 3 pick. you usually take the best player available at key positions: qb, left tackle, defensive line and possibly cornerback (i wouldn't unless it was a prime time esque cb). the last linebacker taken in the top 3 was arron curry. that has not worked out at all for seattle.

if dareus is not there, it is very important to trade the pick.

I don't agree with "you dont take a lb at with a top 3 pic". If the man is an awesome game changing player, why the hell wouldn't you take him? What would be the exceptable slot where we would pick him with that thinking? Is 6 or 7 exceptable? And what does arron curry have to do with Von Miller? just because one player in a different draft doesn't make it, doesn't mean squat with a player from this years draft. ala maybin.

A question for NGU if you're out there still: Did Andre Reed make a mistake when he tweeted the Christian Ponder remarks, or was it more of a calculated misdirection - or simply a spur of the moment opinion? I've been thinking for months now that with the talent available in the D-front seven this year, and the depth of QB talent, especially considering how little separates the top 5 or 6 QB's, that the Bills would go D-front seven with their 1st and QB with their 2nd... so, what do you think?

Now why in the world would he divulge that info? If it was a calclated misdirection, do you really think it would be wise to give us that information??

And to expand on that even more, can you tell me if I'm "hot" or "cold" when I predict that the Bills will try to trade into the end of Round 1 to take Kaepernick (and that the Ponder Love is a smokescreen)?

see response above.

So because Moats has showed some ability , we shouldn't pick miller? I don't agree with that at all. For one thing, we still need more help at the position. And secondly, we don't know what Moats will become. Personally I think Moats will be good. But I'd still take Miller in a Spiller minute if Marcell is gone.(and Nix even said something about that recently. or was it gailey? but he said you don't necessarily bypass a player that you already have some players at. you just don't know who might get hurt and it could come back to bite you in the ass.)

and OH, almost forgot, thanks NGU!

You're in college. Someone throws a sex party and invites you as the guests of honor. You're not going to attend? You're a dumb jock trying to get through school to cash in on the NFL... and you're not going to cheat on tests? Someone gives you money for whatever reason... you're not going to take it? Seriously... all while your young and dumb in college. I'm not condoning it.. I'm just saying 99 out of 100 guys would do all of those things. Saying Newton has done it, doesn't necessarily mean he's a horrible person.

Now stealing the xbox. That's just rude man.

BTW.. not to stray off topic completely. NGU... thanks so much for the information and insight. This is the one pre-draft thread I've been waiting for!! Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

No, it doesn't mean he's a horrible person. And you may be right, Dan, that 99 out of 100 guys would do all these things. But I hope you're wrong.

Education has value, in and of itself. The chance to get an education....smart kids take it. In many elite college programs, the athletes take dumbed-down courses and have special help available to them - tutors and the like.

Is there really a reason to cheat in those circs, unless you feel immortally entitled?

Moral values.....Newton is a preacher's son. If he is so insincere about morals and ethics from that background to do as you say, how can one trust he is sincere about anything?

It's like Marshawn Lynch Part II, swiping $20 from ladies in restaurants just 'cuz he feels entitled.

BTW, saying "99 out of 100 guys would do those things" kinda sounds like condoning it to me. The "everybody does that kind of stuff, so how bad can it be?" kinda argument.

Just sayin'.