in Maybin Defense

i truely believe in the right system and coaching Maybin can be an outstandling Football player...but he came to a unstable situation....he has too much raw talent not be effective...Rex Ryan,Tomlin,Billicek,Fisher ect..would have had that guy in a system where he'd get 10 sacks a season... he's not being used correctly...and then soo much pressure from the city and the media calling him a bust and he is just turning 22?...expecting him to be our savior... rather than a 20 year old football player that needed time to develop...

I believe he's have a solid season....

i truely believe in the right system and coaching Maybin can be an outstandling Football player...but he came to a unstable situation....he has too much raw talent not be effective...Rex Ryan,Tomlin,Billicek,Fisher ect..would have had that guy in a system where he'd get 10 sacks a season... he's not being used correctly...and then soo much pressure from the city and the media calling him a bust and he is just turning 22?...expecting him to be our savior... rather than a 20 year old football player that needed time to develop...

As Aaron's stepmom, Violette, it truly is touching to see you speak so highly about your son. You must love him very much.

You have lots of denial -- isn't that a river in Egypt. Maybin has been in two different systems (a 4-3 and a 3-4) and has showed absolutely no ability to make a play in either. He has been so poor and his practice results so pitiful that he was not even able to be active for many games this year. Maybe if he goes against Kenmore West he could be successaful, but with the big boys he's outmatched, both in talent and desire.

Looking good in a uniform on or being able to run fast does not make you a football player. Where is the football playing raw talent? His was a completely wasted draft pick and someone should be fired for making it. A team in need of as much talent as Buffalo is can not afford to make such picks. That's why we continue to be at the bottom.

Kind of how Ryan's been able to do the same with Vernon Gholston right? Face it man, some guys are just busts thats just the way it is. I hope I'm wrong and you are right but I doubt it.

LOL, Don't make me laugh... While you're at it, Can you explain to me why Erik Flowers didn't work out???

You have lots of denial -- isn't that a river in Egypt. Maybin has been in two different systems (a 4-3 and a 3-4) and has showed absolutely no ability to make a play in either. He has been so poor and his practice results so pitiful that he was not even able to be active for many games this year. Maybe if he goes against Kenmore West he could be successaful, but with the big boys he's outmatched, both in talent and desire.

Looking good in a uniform on or being able to run fast does not make you a football player. Where is the football playing raw talent? His was a completely wasted draft pick and someone should be fired for making it. A team in need of as much talent as Buffalo is can not afford to make such picks. That's why we continue to be at the bottom.

Someone was. Dickless Jauron. Everyone knows that Maybin was his luxury pick.

Aaron...that you? Need I point our Moats was a DE in collage and had to transition to unfamiliar waters? Talent rises up and you Mr Mabin, are not a "football player"...physical specimen perhaps, but a football player woudl at least play special teams with some success...

Draft a young guy your going to have growing pains.... i know the frustration but the kid can still be good or atleast solid... but hey, if im wrong i'll still have a job, and if im right i'll still have a job...i just believe the guy has enough ability if used correctly.... and too much was expected of him too soon....but either way...we'll see

Draft a young guy your going to have growing pains.... i know the frustration but the kid can still be good or atleast solid... but hey, if im wrong i'll still have a job, and if im right i'll still have a job...i just believe the guy has enough ability if used correctly.... and too much was expected of him too soon....but either way...we'll see

What makes you think he has enough ability? The few games you might have seen him play that single season at Penn St?

What made you post this today?

Yes, that's exactly it! The problem is not that he has no heart, no work ethic and can't play his way onto the field over undrafted free agents, it's that WE haven't learned how best to use his lack of effort. If only we could devise a scheme where everyone on the defense could play full out and then hold the ball-carrier in one place so Maybin can run in a straight line and hit him, then celebrate unnecessarily for 30 seconds.

Do you mean how another draft bust Vernon Gholston has FLOURISHED under the savior Rex Ryan? :doh: Some guys are busts and it has nothing to do with the coaching they receive.

I suppose you are still holding out hope for Walt Patulski to pan out. The best Maybin analogy that I have read is the TBD poster who compared Maybin being as lost on the football field as the poster would be in an MIT atmospheric physics class. Big deal Maybin is 22. My girlfriend is 24. That doesn't mean she is our answer at linebacker

I don't believe in making full judgments on draft picks until after 3 years, but even I have to admit that Maybin is almost surely a bust. I understood his troubles year 1; very young, not much playing time in college, jump to the NFL, a position that didn't suit him. But the fact that he couldn't even get on the field last year, his second year, in a position that should have fit him perfectly...that says a LOT. It will be almost miraculous if he all of a sudden takes off this year.

I don't have any interest in spitting venom at him like so many seem to, it just sucks to lose out on such a high draft pick like that.

I don't believe in making full judgments on draft picks until after 3 years, but even I have to admit that Maybin is almost surely a bust. I understood his troubles year 1; very young, not much playing time in college, jump to the NFL, a position that didn't suit him. But the fact that he couldn't even get on the field last year, his second year, in a position that should have fit him perfectly...that says a LOT. It will be almost miraculous if he all of a sudden takes off this year.

I don't have any interest in spitting venom at him like so many seem to, it just sucks to lose out on such a high draft pick like that.

Ready to pass judgement on Jamarcus Russel?

He is very explosive..no denying that, he was only 21 when drafted...very raw so there is still time before he becomes an absolute bust. A very bad draft pick..cant argue with that either. I dont see him putting his hand down and becoming a effective DE, once an NFL olinemen puts a hand on him he his like the Magna Carta....history..Linebacker is new for him but he has shown absolutely nothing, cant provide pressure and is lost in coverage, he cant even use his speed to be on kickoff or punt coverage. I really hate the praise you put on coaches...Billicek inherited a superbowl contending Parcells team and accidently found Tom Brady (count the championships since he was busted for spygate..its 0).. Tomlin almost the same scenario from Cowher taking over with a franchis QB and arguably the best D in football. Rex Ryan was handed a very good defense and one of the best olines in football. Fisher? the guy has put together as many average seasons as any coach out there, Granted they all can manage a game better than some of the disasters we have had, Williams, Mularky, and Jauron.

Jamarcus had his 3.. whats the harm in giving maybin a chance before he's a definite bust.

Harm ? (1) being a distraction to the D strategy (2) Cutting him maybe saves some money (3) Does not add any value

Bottom line is that if in this coming offseason and TC if Maybin does not show that he has made significant progress, he should not be on the opening day roster.

I suppose you are still holding out hope for Walt Patulski to pan out. The best Maybin analogy that I have read is the TBD poster who compared Maybin being as lost on the football field as the poster would be in an MIT atmospheric physics class. Big deal Maybin is 22. My girlfriend is 24. That doesn't mean she is our answer at linebacker

Hey lets not rule anything out now.

Whats her 40 time?

I'd like to take the optimistic view and believe that maybe the guy surprises us and turns it around. This team could really use an unexpected positive surprise for once. But it doesn't seem like the most likely outcome here.

I have to admit I don't follow college football that closely and I'm no expert on draft prospects. Not sure if anyone else had similar thoughts, but when the Bills drafted Maybin and I heard that Lavar Arington was one of his close 'advisors' it raised a red flag to me. If I recall, Arington had a lot of 'potential' too but never played to that potential. Rather than buy into the scheme or philosophy of the coaching staff he choose to do a lot of freelancing which put him on the outs with several teams.

Maybe the 'birds of a feather' this guy should be avoided theory at work here? Too bad the Bills couldn't have done a little creative thinking prior to the selection. And if Dick really insisted on the pick then you've got to question the value of an Ivy League education.

The best approach may be, lesson learned, cut your loses and move on here.

He is very explosive..no denying that, he was only 21 when drafted...very raw so there is still time before he becomes an absolute bust. A very bad draft pick..cant argue with that either. I dont see him putting his hand down and becoming a effective DE, once an NFL olinemen puts a hand on him he his like the Magna Carta....history..Linebacker is new for him but he has shown absolutely nothing, cant provide pressure and is lost in coverage, he cant even use his speed to be on kickoff or punt coverage. I really hate the praise you put on coaches...Billicek inherited a superbowl contending Parcells team and accidently found Tom Brady (count the championships since he was busted for spygate..its 0).. Tomlin almost the same scenario from Cowher taking over with a franchis QB and arguably the best D in football. Rex Ryan was handed a very good defense and one of the best olines in football. Fisher? the guy has put together as many average seasons as any coach out there, Granted they all can manage a game better than some of the disasters we have had, Williams, Mularky, and Jauron.

I think implosive is the word you are looking for. But you are correct, being a likely bust now, "there is still time before he becomes and absolute bust". I won't be long though.

Maybin has perm scarred me from believing that any player that needs to PUT ON WEIGHT in order to play well is a player we should not be taking in the first round.....flat out will never want a player like that again.....

Von Miller.....no thanks

Just give me a guy who plays at his natural size and strength that is at a NFL level caliber and THEN has the ability to put on muscle onto a frame to get even better....save those kind of projects for later picks.....that is why my three top choices are

Fairley (will probably not make it to us

and the next two will be there when we draft

Darius (did it in college.....naturally strong.....doesnt need to add weight and keeps himself in good shape....does what we need

Quinn (did it in college....has the size but is extremely athletic......does what we need

One of those two guys should be the pick...and I know that this id detouring from the OP's original post and I apologize in advance

No more small guys with big potential....give me guys that have the natural size and ability and not dream for pie in the sky on POTENTIAL

Maybin has perm scarred me from believing that any player that needs to PUT ON WEIGHT in order to play well is a player we should not be taking in the first round.....flat out will never want a player like that again.....

Von Miller.....no thanks

Just give me a guy who plays at his natural size and strength that is at a NFL level caliber and THEN has the ability to put on muscle onto a frame to get even better....save those kind of projects for later picks.....that is why my three top choices are

Fairley (will probably not make it to us

and the next two will be there when we draft

Darius (did it in college.....naturally strong.....doesnt need to add weight and keeps himself in good shape....does what we need

Quinn (did it in college....has the size but is extremely athletic......does what we need

One of those two guys should be the pick...and I know that this id detouring from the OP's original post and I apologize in advance

No more small guys with big potential....give me guys that have the natural size and ability and not dream for pie in the sky on POTENTIAL

It's hard to argue with your logic.

The grammar police just arrived and want to commend you or your lack of education and suggest you enlist the help of anyone over the age of 10 that can spell and write. Or perhaps you are a graduate of the Regents program and just showing the rest of us up.

Maybin worst draft pick of last decade ever.

Fixed.

When you consider the available communications/technology of the current age vs. past generations, I don't see who you could put lower than Maybin. Sure, Walt Patulski didn't live up to his #1 status, but that pick was probably based on one scout seeing him play from the stands a couple times and maybe watching some grainy tape from one or two games. Today NFL teams are billion dollar organizations with vast resources that have the ability to watch every single play of a college athlete's career in HD. There is simply no excuse for a pick like Maybin other than gross incompetence.

And other thing; it astounds me how many people here are content with the ridiculous "but he might be good in 3 years" rationale. Again, that made sense 30+ years ago where a guy coming out of college was often barely out of puberty and had only learned a very basic college game. Today the college game is vastly more sophisticated than even the pros were a generation ago and the athletes are light years ahead in terms of size, ability and physical maturity. The top college athletes are ready to play and star in the NFL from day one, and spending a high pick on someone that isn't ready is just insane.

Edited by KD in CT

The right system is Pee-wee football. If the parents are willing to let him play with/against their kids, he can dominate.

I would like nothing more than for Maybin to have a breakout season and have to eat everything I've said about the guy. But there is no reason to think a breakout season is coming. The guy doesn't show enough in practice against an average O-Line to even dress for half the games. I hope I'm wrong but it looks pretty bleak for QB killa, league thrilla, Mayhem Maybin. Sadly he's a better ball player than rapper.