Maybin ??

sirebors

Does anyone know what is the real issue with Aaron Maybin is? Why he doesn't play in games, and may possibly even be cut? Like many of you I did not want to draft him, and I have watched every game he has played in as a Bill. But what is the underlying reason why? Why he has sometimes not even dressed for games? Does anyone have any insider information?

Is it because he is too light? Too weak? Not intelligent? Has no heart, desire, drive? Has no mean streak? Doesn't care? Unable to grasp new position? Doesn't understand scheme? Or he just can't play football or isn't a football player?

I am just curious to know if there is any chance for the problem to ever be corrected. Possibly with added weight, weight training, coaching, or even possibly a mentor like Merriman. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by sirebors

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't seem to be cut out to be an NFL player.

His strength, mass and smarts are not up to par.

He was drafted as an impact DE.

He's not one. He's not a decent OLB.

Whomever is responsible for picking him in the first round should be exiled.

I don't care if he miraculously improves and becomes a starter and a decent player in the next 2-3 years.

He was a wasted draft pick. He hasn't produced at all.

Any player picked #11 in the Draft should have a positive impact on their team.

The only impact Maybin's had is on the ledger at this bank.

Even if he could bulk up and get himself physically ready for the position he has no instincts for the game. I have never crticized him for his lack of effort. He just seems lost and in a fog on the field. It would be like me sitting in a graduate physics class at MIT: Totally perplexed and knowing that I would never, no matter the effort, be able to comprehend.

It's too bad he wasn't groomed as a linebacker initially. I think with his athleticism he would have been good at that position. Unfortunately, it looks like its too late in the game to convert him and he simply doesn't have the size and moves necessary for effective DE work.

Another in a long line of first round busts for the Bills.

Does anyone know what is the real issue with Aaron Maybin is? Why he doesn't play in games, and may possibly even be cut? Like many of you I did not want to draft him, and I have watched every game he has played in as a Bill. But what is the underlying reason why? Why he has sometimes not even dressed for games? Does anyone have any insider information?

Is it because he is too light? Too weak? Not intelligent? Has no heart, desire, drive? Has no mean streak? Doesn't care? Unable to grasp new position? Doesn't understand scheme? Or he just can't play football or isn't a football player?

I am just curious to know if there is any chance for the problem to ever be corrected. Possibly with added weight, weight training, coaching, or even possibly a mentor like Merriman. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

First off, where are all of the people who said a year ago it was too early to say whether Maybin was a bust? A player's first year performance provides information that allows intelligent observers to project where that player will be in 3-to-5 year's time. It is not totally random like the "too early to say" people claimed.

What made him a bust? #1 He was too mentally slow/uninterested to be used at OLB under Fewell even though we had a rash of injuries. Fewell suggested Maybin didn't know the playbook. This was a sign of real problems, but people on this board instead pretended the problem was Jauron or a team insistence that the guy stay at DE.

#2 He has a 30-inch waist. This was the reason many scouts had him as a 3rd round pick. Guys built like him aren't well suited to adding 25-to-35 pounds. A 225-lber simply cannot compete in the trenches of the NFL and can only hope to out-run the guy to the outside -- which doesn't work when they know it's coming.

This was a Modrak disaster. He wanted Cushing with the pick, but had a 1st round grade on Maybin and had him rated as the best pure pass-rusher in the draft.

#2 He has a 30-inch waist. This was the reason many scouts had him as a 3rd round pick. Guys built like him aren't well suited to adding 25-to-35 pounds. A 225-lber simply cannot compete in the trenches of the NFL and can only hope to out-run the guy to the outside -- which doesn't work when they know it's coming.

This was a Modrak disaster. He wanted Cushing with the pick, but had a 1st round grade on Maybin and had him rated as the best pure pass-rusher in the draft.

Excellent point. Although Modrak didn't pick him he still evaluated him. He had a first round grade when more discerning scouts for other organizations had him at a lower ranking. Having Modrak continue on as the head scout doesn't make sense. A decade of drafting futility and the same person is directing the scouting department. How much sense does that make?

He has long arms, an explosive first step and excellent change-of-direction ability. Reminds me of Trent Cole of the Eagles. However, very little functional strength, poor techinque, and lack of passrushing moves have hindered him, and they suggest he is uncoachable. In any event he does not fit what Chan and Edwards are trying to do on defense, so if he ever succeeds it probably won't be here.

When Merriman was asked about Maybin, he said something along the lines of: He has the physical tool, but he needs to learn how to play football. To me that makes a lot of sense, he has the physical tools to be a good player, he just really runs around like a spaz out there with what seems to be very little football intelligence.

Even if he could bulk up and get himself physically ready for the position he has no instincts for the game. I have never crticized him for his lack of effort. He just seems lost and in a fog on the field. It would be like me sitting in a graduate physics class at MIT: Totally perplexed and knowing that I would never, no matter the effort, be able to comprehend.

This nails it. He's not a football player, he's a physical speciman, but not a baller. Wish it were otherwise. Maybe Jauron will want him.....

When Merriman was asked about Maybin, he said something along the lines of: He has the physical tool, but he needs to learn how to play football. To me that makes a lot of sense, he has the physical tools to be a good player, he just really runs around like a spaz out there with what seems to be very little football intelligence.

I'm still holding a little hope that Merriman can help bring Maybin along. He's definitely physically talented, he just needs to get it together mentally.

By rule, Cleveland (with Jauron as DC) should be forced to trade their 1st or 2nd round pick for Maybin!!!! Jauron picked him - he should be forced to live with him!!

Keep telling yourself it was all Jauron's fault. It will help you get through the next few years of futility.

At some point, you'll come to the realization that it was Tom Modrak that had a 1st round grade on Maybin and that Jauron's draft day decisions were based largely on the poor player evaluation files presented to him.

Maybin ran a slow 40 and short shuttle at the combine. He's basically a speed rusher with no speed. Should never have gotten drafted that high. No speed, and gets overpowered. Basically worthless. Immature, somebody who hit the jackpot and stopped working. Doesn't study film and parties instead. Evenings are about whores and cocaine. Will never play in another NFL game once the Bills cut him.

He is not very good right now, but i do see an upside to him. Also he is not off running his mouth because he is not playing. Seems like he is willing to do whatever it will take to see the field. Thats about all I like about him at this point. He does have a pretty freakish type body though I must admit.

Keep telling yourself it was all Jauron's fault. It will help you get through the next few years of futility.

At some point, you'll come to the realization that it was Tom Modrak that had a 1st round grade on Maybin and that Jauron's draft day decisions were based largely on the poor player evaluation files presented to him.

I've read elsewhere that Jauron was pushing for Maybin. Influenced the selection.

This is what happens when you bring in a prior head coach to be G.M., and let a head coach (Jauron) in the draft room

who has no business being there. You also get an endless parade of DBs taken everywhere possible.

Someone pointed out on here, or in an article that if we followed the Kiper's of the world we could have Ngata, Revis and Orakpo. Three of the younger and premier players at their position. Instead we have Whitner, McKelvin, and Maybin. Ouch.

In some way I hope Maybin has an amazing camp/offseason and the switch goes on, but I more likely see a cut.

Atleast our drafts the last 2 years other than Maybin have had quality players. I do think/hope Spiller will breakout some this year and I liked what I saw from Troup, Carrington, and Moats, especially Carrington and Moats. Add in some of the undrafteds and quality was added to the team.

Someone pointed out on here, or in an article that if we followed the Kiper's of the world we could have Ngata, Revis and Orakpo. Three of the younger and premier players at their position. Instead we have Whitner, McKelvin, and Maybin. Ouch.

In some way I hope Maybin has an amazing camp/offseason and the switch goes on, but I more likely see a cut.

Atleast our drafts the last 2 years other than Maybin have had quality players. I do think/hope Spiller will breakout some this year and I liked what I saw from Troup, Carrington, and Moats, especially Carrington and Moats. Add in some of the undrafteds and quality was added to the team.

I've often thought the Bills should outsource the draft. Have your G.M. and whatever there, but really go with a group

that act as consultants and really do some work.

They would have been far better off over the years.

I'm still holding a little hope that Merriman can help bring Maybin along. He's definitely physically talented, he just needs to get it together mentally.

Good point, Dorkington. When I read the initial post, I was thinking the same thing. He & Merriman are buds. If I were Maybin, I would be all over Merriman to work w/ me on techniques,lots and lots of film study, workouts,playbook study, whatever Merriman can think of to make me better. And the area(s) I'm the weakest at I'd go at that/those aspects the fiarcest and the longest. Declare war on it. Be a warrior. He has a great resource in Merriman if Merriman is willing to do that. And if he is, Maybin should buy him dinners at his favorite restaurants for months.

I think one of Maybin's problems was that he came out of college way to young and raw. This kid needs a lot of polishing. At any rate, good points Dorkington. just my opinion.

Just a thought. Could he be converted to a tight end? Can he catch a pass? Maybe teach him a few blocking techniques and who knows what you might have?

Another thing I have noticed is the look that comes over Gailey's face when he is asked about Maybin. Go back and watch some interviews. He is BLUNT. I mean, he stops short of saying he is flat out terrible but you can tell he has a professional dislike for Maybin. I might be reading into this a little too much but I just honestly think he is not a real football player. He is a guy who had a decent showing in college against weaker competition but that **** isn't going to cut it in the NFL. He's not a real football player and Gailey doesn't respect him as one. I am with you guys who say he has until the end of the next camp to suddenly make a difference, otherwise he is getting cut. Too many holes and not enough roster spots to be taken up by the likes of this kid. I am sure he is a good person and all and I feel bad that it isn't going to work out. It's not like HE was the one who decided to get drafted where he did. Oh well best of luck to you Aaron hope you invested your millions wisely.

I've often thought the Bills should outsource the draft. Have your G.M. and whatever there, but really go with a group

that act as consultants and really do some work.

They would have been far better off over the years.

That's actually not a bad business idea if you could get some poor drafting team to actually bite on the idea.

From what we have seen so far the answer is YES to all of the above.

He does have speed .... but without size, strength, moves, heart, brains, and football instinct he has a big hill to climb.

He has played for two different coaching staffs in two years and neither one felt comfortable putting him on the field. That says a lot.

Given his age and lack of college experience he will be given another summer to improve.

Maybin ran a slow 40 and short shuttle at the combine. He's basically a speed rusher with no speed. Should never have gotten drafted that high. No speed, and gets overpowered. Basically worthless. Immature, somebody who hit the jackpot and stopped working. Doesn't study film and parties instead. Evenings are about whores and cocaine. Will never play in another NFL game once the Bills cut him.

Nothing, and I mean nothing of what you just said is true! I have never heard a coach say he did not study film, I have never heard a word about excessive partying, Whores, cocaine, dude you are slandering the man. He sucks at football, because he sucks at football, saying those other things are just wrong.

It's some combination of all those factors. He probably has this next camp to show something before we cut him.

PTR

I think you're right in that he only has one chance left and it's not guaranteed to last past minicamp. He's a poor player at this point in time and I don't have any inside information on him, s I can't say why he's not living up to expectations other than to guess at it like everyone else.

I was wondering however, if the comments coming out of OBD regarding him and the OLBs in general have been aimed at getting him more motivated (which I believe is the underlying factor - not in game motivation, but motivation off the field to get smarter and bigger). They added Merriman and have a few players who could help or who they at least need to see mroe of in Moats, Coleman, and Battan. They have to add someone else here just to round out the group of those four plus Kelsey. You'd think all of this activity and spot-putting would turn a light on for him to get his stuff together. I wonder if some of the stuff coming out of OBD is really meant to wake him up than it is for the fans benefit.

By the way, full disclosure: the only reason I'd be against cutting him would be the off chance that he is able to come around. If it takes until minicamp, training camp, week 1, or tomorrow to figure that out, I'm OK with it. I am not in the group of posters who want him gone even if he turns out to be "decent".

From a couple of decades of trying to motivate people and bring them along: the first step is they have to be willing (preferably eager) to be brought.

One doesn't want to over-interpret, but various Maybin interview quotes could be interpreted as him not accepting that he has a lot to learn.

If it's not too much trouble, can I get sources and/or links to substantiate the following statements in bold? I may be wrong but I'm not aware of the Bills (or any team for that matter) releasing information of this sort to the public.

Although Modrak didn't pick him he still evaluated him. He had a first round grade when more discerning scouts for other organizations had him at a lower ranking.

Chan was interviewed by NFL network after senior bowl practice and Mayock asked him if the light has come on for Maybin and said he still waiting and that he needs to learn to play the run and has only one pass rush move and that is speed. Don't know why after two years a guy can't work on his game and figure out what he needs to do to get better. Last chance for Maybe.

seems to me that if after 2 years he hasn't at least learned a second move, then it's time to seriously think about letting him go...with all the needs on this team I could see them keeping him one more season, but after that they should have his replacement.

Take this for what it's worth. At the combine Mayock's opinion of him was that he was a total boom or bust player. The reason for this opinion was that Maybin has all the athletic ability in the world but doesn't know how to play football. He was a project that would take 2-3 years to coach up. Even with that there was no way of telling if he could succeed in the NFL. Any team drafting him was rolling the dice, he was either going to turn out to be a stud or a bust.

Why don't you ask why Gino Torretta or Erik Flowers didn't pan out? Come on! The Guy is irrelevant. He simply can't play Pro Football. He'll be cut when the 53 man roster is finalized. Move long... Nothing to see here.