Dave Wannstedt expected to talk to Bills

FluffHead

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Adam Schefter, Vic Fangio was talking to Dallas and with all the Wandstat talk looking at us, We should totally go after this guy because his defense is very physical and creative and would be a huge upgrade for us and would bring some competitiveness to our D.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Wanny may not end up in Buffalo, but if Edwards is replaced after 1 season, that's an indication Gailey got another big decision wrong. First it was moving to the 34, naming Trent as the starting QB, then Spiller and Lynch at RB, and maybe the DC. That's a lot of bad decisions in one year, even though he's much better on offense than DJ or his underlings ever could dream to have been.

Edited by BillsVet

Have you seen this team? They are strictly a 4-3 team. Watching them play a 3-4 was a joke.

My bet is that during the offseason we start moving towards 3-4. That is what the guy who makes the decisions wanted when he came here.

Wanny may not end up in Buffalo, but if Edwards is replaced after 1 season, that's an indication Gailey got another big decision wrong. First it was moving to the 34, naming Trent as the starting QB, then Spiller and Lynch at RB, and maybe the DC. That's a lot of bad decisions in one year, even though he's much better on offense than DJ or his underlings ever could dream to have been.

Yeah- if it doesn't work in year 1, it must be wrong. Maybe we should just let fans run the team- is it possible to get negative wins for a season- I'm sure the "best fans in the league" could do that.

Edited by Adam

you are correct and let's hope that he gets it right with the 2nd decision.

Wouldn't mind seeing Wannstedt brought onboard. His experience would give the Bills D an instant shot in the arm.

I've had a lot of conversations with people who have tried to defend George Edwards and the excuse that comes up time and time again is that the Bills simply didn't have the talent to be a good defense.

While I agree that the Bills currently don't have the talent to be a top ten defense, they should have been around the middle of the pack.

Their d-line isn't as bad as some make it out to be, as Dwan Edwards, Kyle Williams, and Marcus Stroud would all start for a majority of teams in the NFL. However, in regards to their linebackers, while they aren't bad from a talent aspect, they really struggled with their run fits this year. If you watch some games over again you would see Torbor and others continually taking bad angles or trying to cut around blocks which left huge holes in the defense.

With all that said, my two biggest problems with George Edwards were his inability to put players in a position to succeed, and the complete lack of blitzing during the early part of the year.

Why did it take Edwards almost half the season to realize that Kelsay couldn't operate in space as an OLB? However, once Kelsay was brought back up to the line his play improved significantly. I would also say that a large reason why Byrd didn't a great season was due to how much Edwards had him in the box. For some reason Edwards decided to keep Donte in coverage and brought Byrd up in the box for a majority of plays during the second half of the season.

In regards to blitzing Edwards sent five men or more on just 3 percent of pass downs against New England, 8 percent against Jacksonville and 9 percent against Baltimore (all according to unofficial News statistics). But the Bills blitzed 25

percent of pass downs at Kansas City (7 of 28) and 36 percent versus Chicago (12 of 33). Last year the Bills blitzed 28 percent overall, which is a little less than average.

Not only did Edwards not call enough blitzes, but I rarely saw any creative packages to help generate pressure. There were a couple of plays were he called some DB blitzes, but other than that there were maybe three blitz calls that succeeded due to the call alone.

Edited by DaBills51

In Chan's defense, it's not as if he had a ton to choose from as far as a DC went. Also, he seems to notice when something isn't working and tries to fix it rather than just going with it pretending like the problem will solve itself.

Seriously Dude? Have you ever heard the expression, "you can't make a cake without breaking a few eggs"? Or, how about "you can't win if you don't try?"

Give Chan and Buddy some credit. It's their first year! They are making mistakes, but obviously see the mistakes and are taking immediate and decisive action to fix them. Everyone screws up, it's what you do after you screw up that makes the difference.

Leave it to you to turn what many of us consider a good develpment into a negative.

Maybe they aren't going to replace edwards but add to him. And maybe Gailey wanted Wanstedt last year but he wasn't available so he went with his second choice, someone familiar with a scheme change.

As for going with Trent, big deal. We all know he looked best in pre-season but failed in live games. All the qb's were close in the competition as was stated. He moved on the the next qb fast and it turned out pretty good.

Spiller starting was because the other guys were hurt in pre-season. Then Lynch was showcased so he could be traded. Again, big deal.

And for switching to the 3-4, most here were all for the change. And Chan from the beginning said it wouldn't be a complete switch. So again, big freaking deal.

Gailey and Nix are trying to improve the team. This is a good thing. Stop your bitchin.

Making mistakes isn't nearly as bad as failing to correct them.

So you're saying you'd rather he not fire Edwards?

My take is that they are looking for someone with experience running the 4-3 defense. They seem to like the idea of running a hybrid, so maybe they are looking to bring him in as assistant DC? Edwards is purely a 3-4 guy, so someone is needed to come in an coach if they are serious about the hybrid.

Making mistakes isn't nearly as bad as failing to correct them.

Exactly. I would rather have a coach that can admit his mistakes over a bull-headed coach who can't adapt. He made the wrong call on Trent, but he corrected it in the best possibly way - by booting him. It gave Fitz job security for the year and silenced the lunatic fringe that would still be clamoring today that Trent should start.

Edited by QCity

Here are the Pittsburgh players that are eliible for the draft:

1 30 Pittsburgh Jason Pinkston OG Pittsburgh

2 42 Washington Jonathan Baldwin WRF Pittsburgh

4 102 Arizona Jabaal Sheard OLB34 Pittsburgh

5 158 Pittsburgh Greg Romeus OLB34 Pittsburgh

Sheard and Romeus in RD4-5, with Wanny to coach linebackers?

If Mr. "Skoobel" is so over rated as you implied, why did his departure have such a drastic effect on our defensive performance? You can't have it both ways. Either Schobel was a very good defensive player that was an important player in our defense. Or he was over rated and the defense shouldn't suffer much from his departure.

Got any stats to back that up?

2009 32 sacks

2010 27 sacks

Is 5 sacks difference drastic?

2009 - 2501 rushing yards against

2010 - 2714 rushing yards against

Is 213 yards drastic?

2009 - 2948 passing yards against

2010 - 3072 passing yards against

124 yards difference.. still not drastic..

So I conclude that losing Schobel was not a drastic loss especially since we also have a whole different defensive scheme.

Edited by markinsd

2009 32 sacks

2010 27 sacks

Is 213 yards drastic?

So I conclude that losing Schobel was not a drastic loss especially since we also have a whole different defensive scheme.

I don't know why you even did all that work. Comparing the Bills 2009 & 2010 defenses is like comparing apples to oranges. So much changed; a whole new defense philosophy and over 1/2 the players. Based on that, one could never be able to compare them and say the differences are just due to Mr skooby.

Pure Speculation: George Edwards would be ILB coach where he has experience. Wanny and others will be considered for DC. Chan has realized he needs a strong D coordinator because he ended up spending too much time on the D during the year and it wore him out plus his passion is O...

That seems like sound speculation to me.

2009 32 sacks

2010 27 sacks

Is 213 yards drastic?

Looks like I stand corrected, Edwards is a good coach and Schobel is over rated.

2009 32 sacks

2010 27 sacks

Is 213 yards drastic?

Actually, when you combine all of these together, the numbers are significant. More importantly, note how you left out the all important category of turnovers, many of which are the result of d-line pressure.

What i have read about Wannstedt is that he has coached most all the positions at some point at Def and Off. Obviously HC too.

He would be an asset if employed correctly. Heck maybe Chan would bring him on as OC? So he ( Mr. Gailey )could now focus on the Project Bills Superbowlers' as a whole. I think we mostly agree Chan has evaluated his players and staff this season.

Quote from above "Making mistakes isn't nearly as bad as failing to correct them." good call.

I have a renewed enthusiasm for the Bills recently. Quite alot actually.

Although we are adjusting with what we had coming in pre C. Gailey, and had a poor season, but kinda fun, we are going to have more better next year.

We have to keep G.E. I cant believe that we know what he can do yet. He deserves another go at it. If this year does not improve alot on defense he will see it coming, his walking papers at the end of next season. Buddy and Chan will try to give what he thinks he needs this year to succeed. Be it coaches or players.

If Wannstedt can offer some big upgrade somewhere for us i bet we tender him an offer. But that could also be said of the many coaches that are available

Logic says to me.. no we do not get him. he is more valuable to others. imho

bingo

Not sure I would want to switch back ,but fairley /williams combo in a 4/3 would sweet

anything is possible, Belichick was listed as a DB coach with the Jets so it is all relative I guess. The more good coaches the better

this isn't a bad idea, if he is willing to run some 3-4 as well. I'd love George as our DC and Wannstedet as our Asst Head Coach. I think the 2 of htem could scheme up some good things. Also, Wannstedet would really take the load off of Gailey on the D side of the ball. They worked together in Miami if I'm not mistaken. would love to see this happen....

Seriously Dude? Have you ever heard the expression, "you can't make a cake without breaking a few eggs"? Or, how about "you can't win if you don't try?"

Give Chan and Buddy some credit. It's their first year! They are making mistakes, but obviously see the mistakes and are taking immediate and decisive action to fix them. Everyone screws up, it's what you do after you screw up that makes the difference.

Or perhaps you can't build a team without busting a few first and second rounders, right?

If I was George Edwards and heard the team wanted to talk to Wannstedt about a coaching job, even if it wasn't DC, I'd grow eyes in the back of my head. The fact Buffalo might only be interested in him as an ILB/AHC tells me they're not enthused with the way he coached. And you can be darn sure Edwards knows this, because this interest clarifies that.

And for the record, at the NFL level when you make mistakes, the results transfer onto the field real fast. No one executive or team is perfect, but the good ones don't make a lot of bad decisions. Buffalo has for many years now and the result is obvious whereas teams like NE, BAL, ATL, IND, GB, et al aren't known for huge mistakes in personnel or schematically.

I'm all for this.

But why in the world would he pass up a really good defense in San Diego?

I love Buffalo with all my heart, but it would be really hard to pass up all the goodness in SD. At the same time, I believe SD is strictly a 3-4 team. He might like the flexiblity to help put his imprint on the Buffalo d. Also, AJ Smith isn't the easiet guy to work for.

Tweet from Schefter:

RT @1BBFAN: Is the Bills DC in trouble with news of Wannstedt talking to Buffalo? ... Not at all. Different role. Wannstedt, Gailey close.

interesting/confusing

But, but - what about all of the theories / conspiracies already posted in this thread!?!

A guy with the experience of DW is not coming to Buffalo to be a linebackers coach.

The thinking may be more like this:

DW as assistant head coach. GE as DC. May or may not hire new ILB coach or let Sanders coach LB.

DW quietly takes over many of the DC duties that GE is over his head on and frees Chan to focus on O, his passion.

What happens when the coaching staff div's up their duties, stays with the coaching staff

Everybody saves face.

I would love this.

The thinking may be more like this:

DW as assistant head coach. GE as DC. May or may not hire new ILB coach or let Sanders coach LB.

DW quietly takes over many of the DC duties that GE is over his head on and frees Chan to focus on O, his passion.

What happens when the coaching staff div's up their duties, stays with the coaching staff

Everybody saves face.

I would love this.

So similar to how Curtis Modkins is the OC but Chan makes all the O decisions.

So similar to how Curtis Modkins is the OC but Chan makes all the O decisions.

Something like that. I agree with the folks who say Edwards is over his head.

I also agree with the folks who say Chan can't fire him after 1 year - he'd look like a fool.

It wouldn't work except with someone Chan is very much "on the page" with. DW could be that guy.