Dave Wannstedt expected to talk to Bills

FluffHead

Pure Speculation: George Edwards would be ILB coach where he has experience. Wanny and others will be considered for DC. Chan has realized he needs a strong D coordinator because he ended up spending too much time on the D during the year and it wore him out plus his passion is O...

This may be speculation, but it makes sense. There are a few DC guys out there available right now.

Edited by Vinny4sum

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jauron?

Didn't Dickballs Jauron get another job somewhere? I never even bothered to follow what happened to the guy when he left, I was just glad he was gone lol.

But I'd much rather have him as a DC than a head coach, that's for sure.

We knew we would take a major step back with the move to the 3-4 this past season- our DL's were hardly big enough to play 4-3. With one draft to get ready, we couldn't adjust the personel much. It would have helped if Mr. Overrate Aaron skoobel stayed, but he bailed on us.

There's taking a step back and then there's looking completely inept. I would describe our defense as the second of those two options. Yes, we could use more talent on defense. But, what little talent we had was completely out of position, slow to the ball, and looked uninspired most all season.

If Mr. "Skoobel" is so over rated as you implied, why did his departure have such a drastic effect on our defensive performance? You can't have it both ways. Either Schobel was a very good defensive player that was an important player in our defense. Or he was over rated and the defense shouldn't suffer much from his departure.

I had made the association before Christmas, and was hoping we'd talk to him. Only, I didn't realize the interest he'd get from other teams. Yeah, I'd be thrilled if we canned Edwards and took Wannstedt on as our D-coordinator, even if you had to throw assistant H.C. in there, too. Our present D-personnel looks better suited for the 4-3, in my opinion, and shouldn't at all suffer for the transition; and, we could still run occasional 3-4 looks.

I can see Carrington, Fairley, K.Williams, and Edwards as our D-line, with Merriman, Poz, and Moats as our linebacking corps, with Batten, Coleman, and Maybin - who could be thrown back in as OLB/DE candidate in certain situations... I think Coleman and Moats and Batten are all small enough/quick enough to be 4-3 linebackers.

Yeah, I like this idea. Plus, we could have Byrd back to a position he thrived in, re-sign G. Wilson and keep Scott around - and our secondary would be back, too... and, Troupe would be great rotation in the middle with K.Williams, or just our starter there if we went after, say, Bowers... I'd love to see Bowers, Troupe, Williams, Carrington as a D-line - imagine the pressure we'd get consistently on QB's with just that four man front. I mean, they're all pretty good at bringing the heat, except Troupe who'd serve to sure up the run defense. Yeah, I like the sounds of it. I just hope Gailey and Nix realize the opportunity, to get a guy they're all familiar with, even Whaley... and to legitimize our entire staff.

Edited by sllib olaffub

We knew we would take a major step back with the move to the 3-4 this past season- our DL's were hardly big enough to play 4-3. With one draft to get ready, we couldn't adjust the personel much. It would have helped if Mr. Overrate Aaron skoobel stayed, but he bailed on us.

Well, if we keep Edwards around, I sure hope we see improvement in 2011...unless Nix and Co go full retard on draft day, we should have more talent available on that side of the ball going into training camp.

Didn't Dickballs Jauron get another job somewhere? I never even bothered to follow what happened to the guy when he left, I was just glad he was gone lol.

But I'd much rather have him as a DC than a head coach, that's for sure.

I believe he is the DB coach for the Eagles.

F Wanny. I've never been impressed with him. He had great talent at Dallas 20 years ago, he was a baffoon in Chicago and Miami. If we are relpacing Edwards( keep you fingers crossed) I think Mangini is the preferable candidate. He knows the 34 D and has had some success against Satan. Plus he's still young and could DC for 5 or 6 years and take over for Chan after he wins those back to back Superbowls.

I was just thinking, if we were interested in bringing in another D-coordinator, and Wanny took a job elsewhere, who else might be a really drastic upgrage, and would be out there for hire? Any of these names sound appealing/probable?

Rob Ryan/Eric Mangini (Mangini having, perhaps, the best know-how on how to beat Bellicheck, and Rob Ryan maybe better able to handle the Jets than a lot of others...),

John Fox - should he wish to become a coordinator again,

Mike Singletary?

Tom Cable... I mean, there's really no connection there, but the point is, there are guys out there who could bring credibility to our Defense, if that is what our staff would like to add, and Wannstedt isn't the only option...

but, he'd sure be a nice fit.

Tom Cable... I mean, there's really no connection there, but the point is, there are guys out there who could bring credibility to our Defense, if that is what our staff would like to add, and Wannstedt isn't the only option...

but, he'd sure be a nice fit.

Tom Cable is a former offensive line coach, hiring him as defensive coordinator would bring no credibility.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Note that Gailey was Wanny's offensive coordinator for a little while in Miami.

He was Miami's defensive coordinator for one season, 1999, when the team was 5th in yards but 19th in points. While he was their head coach, their defense was in the top 10 every year in both categories (except one season when they were 11th). His tenure in Dallas was fairly middle-of-the-road, except for one season in the top 5.