Dave Wannstedt expected to talk to Bills

FluffHead

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A serious question for you all. Even before this came up when Chan mentioned running multiple schemes I wondered whether that's a viable prospect long term or whether it was simply a way of transitioning from the 4-3 to the 3-4. So I guess my question for you guys is, is it possible to run both 3-4 and 4-3 on a permanent basis with positive results seeing as some people are 3-4 guys and some are 4-3 guys? Would this mean most of the roster would be taken up by front 7 players so we have the different ones to run the schemes that suit them best? I hope I have explained myself clear enough, apologies if not.

Three teams with hybrids that come to mind are new Orleans, NE, and Baltimore

Hiring Dave Wannstedt as either the assistant head coach, defensive co-ordinator or a combination of both would be a strong move. I would love for this to happen. :thumbsup:

This would definitely bring some excitement to these boards.

Agreed! I always hated him when he was with rival teams (Cowboys and Fish), but always respected him as a DC and really like what he did at Pitt.

He reminds me of a Gregg Williams situation, very strong DC, "ok" HC at the pro level.

Would LOVE to bring him in as AHC. It would be a huge, and early, win to begin the offseason.

FWIW -

If early reports by ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen are accurate, former Miami Dolphins and Chicago Bears coach Dave Wannstedt could be returning to the AFC East on the same staff as Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey, only this time Wannstedt will be the assistant and Gailey will be the man in charge.

Link - Dave Wannstedt and Chan Gailey May Reunite in Buffalo

From local TV reports, sounds like DW would be ass't HC running the D, similar to the role DW had in Miami under JJ, and much like Dick LeBeau's Buffalo role under Jauron. (Gailey was Wannstadt's OC in Miami.)

(BTW - if this does happen, I would look for the Bills to draft injured Pitt DE Greg Romeus in the late rounds. Romeus is a favorite of Wannstadt, and was projected as a round one pick before tearing his ACL.)

Not to nitpick, but LeBeau didn't work in Buffalo under Jauron. Wasn't he the DC/asst. HC for Mularkey?

I guess my point was that if he is not able to play OLB, and we run 3-4 33% of the time, then our best player that so much has been invested in is either not on the field 33% of the time or is not as effective.

In other words, does saying we are a hybrid pigeon hole players just as much as saying we are strictly a 3-4 or 4-3, because now they have to find players that fit both schemes.

Bowers goes 6'4" and 275. Thats big enough to play 3-4 end, but also flexible enough to play 4-3 end, and potentially 3-4 rush LB. You're never going to ask the guy to cover a TE or RB, but there's no reaosn why he couldn't rush the passer from an upright stance.

Exactly. I would rather have a coach that can admit his mistakes over a bull-headed coach who can't adapt. He made the wrong call on Trent, but he corrected it in the best possibly way - by booting him. It gave Fitz job security for the year and silenced the lunatic fringe that would still be clamoring today that Trent should start.

Trent was the starter based on the fact that he was going to be traded and Chan and Co wanted to showcase what little talent he had in the hopes someone would bite. Same thing with Lynch and Freddie, that actually worked though. Let's stop saying Chan doesn't know what he is doing. Fitz won the job in camp, but they told us in the beginning that there were going to be a lot of bumps in the road. They kept saying that all off season. Wether you believe it or not as a fan base this team is going in the right direction. I back the Spiller pick 100%, we needed a game breaker. Lee was double covered and we had no #2, insert Stevie into the equation and Rosco coming back from injury. We will be a better ball club once we get healthy and consistent.

As for the Stache, as a D coord, bring him on, Edwards seemed to be lost out there. He was a dam good LBers coach at miami tho.

Does anyone not think it would be possible for Merriman, assuming he's healthy, to play RE? Draft fairley or dareus and have carrington play LE. Merriman-fairley-Williams-carrington. It wouldn't be out of the question, Merriman could be a stand up DE, like usc uses. Sign an olb with speed (Thomas Howard) and draft a big true LB like Herzlich in the third. It would be a hybrid 3-4, 4-3.

Trent was the starter based on the fact that he was going to be traded and Chan and Co wanted to showcase what little talent he had in the hopes someone would bite. Same thing with Lynch and Freddie, that actually worked though. Let's stop saying Chan doesn't know what he is doing. Fitz won the job in camp, but they told us in the beginning that there were going to be a lot of bumps in the road. They kept saying that all off season. Wether you believe it or not as a fan base this team is going in the right direction. I back the Spiller pick 100%, we needed a game breaker. Lee was double covered and we had no #2, insert Stevie into the equation and Rosco coming back from injury. We will be a better ball club once we get healthy and consistent.

As for the Stache, as a D coord, bring him on, Edwards seemed to be lost out there. He was a dam good LBers coach at miami tho.

So, this season was a total sham to the paying public? Put players on the field, not with intentions to win ballgames, but with intentions to pull the wool over another FO eyes?

Does anyone not think it would be possible for Merriman, assuming he's healthy, to play RE? Draft fairley or dareus and have carrington play LE. Merriman-fairley-Williams-carrington. It wouldn't be out of the question, Merriman could be a stand up DE, like usc uses. Sign an olb with speed (Thomas Howard) and draft a big true LB like Herzlich in the third. It would be a hybrid 3-4, 4-3.

So, this season was a total sham to the paying public? Put players on the field, not with intentions to win ballgames, but with intentions to pull the wool over another FO eyes?

That's one way of putting it. Chan kept saying "we have to see what we got". I am sure they new what they had in Trent. I am not saying they just threw the season away. But if we all stop and listen to everything Buddy and Chan say instead of what we want to hear they pretty much lay out there intentions and somewhat of a direction.

That's one way of putting it. Chan kept saying "we have to see what we got". I am sure they new what they had in Trent. I am not saying they just threw the season away. But if we all stop and listen to everything Buddy and Chan say instead of what we want to hear they pretty much lay out there intentions and somewhat of a direction.

Agreed. I dont think they didnt care at all about winning. Of course they wanted to win this season. And of course they prepared to win some games this season.

But, was winning games and going to the Super Bowl their #1 priority this year? Highly doubtful

Nix and Gailey were brought in to right the ship. You cant just go full motor when you dont even know where the leaks in the hull are.

I believe that assessing the entire team, in ACTUAL GAME settings was the first priority of the new regime. And it should have been. There was no telling what we had given the schmucks on the prior regime.

I didn't read the whole thread so it may have been mentioned but wasn't Chan the OC under Wanny in Miami?? George Edwards was also on that staff...not going to crap all over the idea totally but we would look a lot like the MIA coaching staff from 2003...

Any move to get Edwards out of the DC role is a big +++++++ in my book.

Usually you have good insight in your posts, but this one, IMO, is really off base. Edwards clearly won the starting QB job in training camp, it wasn't even close. If he was being showcased at any level, why cut him?

As for Lynch being showcased, there's been a lot of people have made that leap. I guess it's possible, but Chan seems so hell bent on winning, I find it hard to believe. If you combine that with a recent report that the Bills didn't shop Lynch, why would they showcase him if they weren't going to shop him to any and all teams? We'll never know, but it sounds even less likely now than it did before.

In the case of Wanni, Adam Schefter seems confident that it's an ass't HC position, not a DC...

RT @1BBFAN: Is the Bills DC in trouble with news of Wannstedt talking to Buffalo? ... Not at all. Different role. Wannstedt, Gailey close.

and

RT @bighank3: Any chance wannstedt back to cowboys as DC? ... Doesn't sound like he's in play there. He's looking mostly for asst HC role.

Usually you have good insight in your posts, but this one, IMO, is really off base. Edwards clearly won the starting QB job in training camp, it wasn't even close. If he was being showcased at any level, why cut him?

As for Lynch being showcased, there's been a lot of people have made that leap. I guess it's possible, but Chan seems so hell bent on winning, I find it hard to believe. If you combine that with a recent report that the Bills didn't shop Lynch, why would they showcase him if they weren't going to shop him to any and all teams? We'll never know, but it sounds even less likely now than it did before.

In the case of Wanni, Adam Schefter seems confident that it's an ass't HC position, not a DC...

and

but isn't an Asst HC usually a Coordinator? What else would they do?

Not to nitpick, but LeBeau didn't work in Buffalo under Jauron. Wasn't he the DC/asst. HC for Mularkey?

Yes, of course. My bad. Off by a season. (They all seem to blend together, lately.)

As I recall now, Jauron tried to retain LeBeau - but Lebeau told him to :censored: off !!!

Edited by The Senator