Marty talking about Buddy

bkc

Sorry, but those are all RIDICULOUS excuses.

1) Chan reports to Nix. If you're saying that Chan has free reign on his hires, then it's even more reason for concern about Nix's performance as GM.

Seriously?

I'm sure Nix gave his opinion on Edwards as a DC, but Chan's the hiring manager and should have final say.

You know this how?

With the Lions, at least, they pretty much publicly stated they were looking for Best at the start of the draft. He was the back that they felt best fit their system.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Lions, at least, they pretty much publicly stated they were looking for Best at the start of the draft. He was the back that they felt best fit their system.

Teams don't publicly state much of anything before the draft about specific players. If the Lions did say what you say that they said then perhaps someone can find a link.

1) Chan reports to Nix. If you're saying that Chan has free reign on his hires, then it's even more reason for concern about Nix's performance as GM.

2) There were plenty of good players available in FA and via trade who would've helped this team. PLENTY. I'm not going to document each one of them, but I wish folks would stop repeating that there was no one available (or that those players who were on the market wouldn't have come here). B.S. This team chose to sit out, for whatever reason, while quality right tackles like Jamaal Brown and Flozel Adams changed venues. Think Scheffler would've helped at TE? The list goes on and on.

3) Interesting revisionism there considering that they drafted specifically to implement a 3-4 defense to stop the run. It's not like Troup and Carrington were injured - they were benched.

Which is why I said there are "some concerns."

Not ANY first rounder does, for this used car franchise.

Some would say Nix has been given an impossible mandate...

Not sure if "RIDICULOUS excuses" is called for...

As to a coach hiring his own staff of assistant coaches and coordinators - that is actually the norm. Coach's leave when GM's and owners start meddling with their staff, so Nix's behavior in that regards is in no way an indictment on his management abilities.

As to the Free Agent pool - I agree that there were opportunities out there for some solutions to some of our personnel gaps, but they were not sought after. Many free agents are up there in age and perhaps the Bills brass felt that with the amount of rebuilding needed, they did not want to fork over the guaranteed money and longer contracts that older quality FA were looking for. Perhaps Ralph is just cheap like some folks claim - dunno.

Edwards and Chan stated from the beginning that they wanted to implement a 3-4 defense, not sure if there is ever a good time to try to totally change your base scheme, but had more success stopping the run with an extra tackle than with an extra LB. Not sure if that is an indictment of our DT's and DE's not being dominant enough to occupy enough blockers, or a lack of talent at the LB position shedding blocks and taking good angles. As with most things I suspect it is a combination of both.

Not quite ready to throw the baby out with the bath water when it comes to Edwards - his biggest failing in my mind was not the attempted switch, but rather an unfamiliarity with the players we had and their ability to take on new roles - that, and the long-term signing of Kelsay that they may come to regret. I already do.

I suspect that defense will be a heavy focus on draft day because our defense still does not generate nearly enough pressure on opposing QB's, and we flat out stink against the run particularly if the opposing offense holds any real threat of throwing the ball.

there's an "If" missing there. My eyes are seriously failing on me today.

Got it. Cool

I have no problem with that. But that really wasn't what I was responding to. In this case, Detroit preferred Best, if that info is correct.

Yes and that bothers me. Take some time, even if it's just cosmetic.

But the truth is, the Bills could have been working offers for days. They knew they had the #9 pick. I would expect they took many calls, just not at that moment on draft day.

Buddy Nix isn't really at the top of my list of deceptive people, so I tend to think it all went down pretty much as he said. Wheeling and dealing picks on draft day just isn't part of his repertoire.

Buddy Nix isn't really at the top of my list of deceptive people, so I tend to think it all went down pretty much as he said. Wheeling and dealing picks on draft day just isn't part of his repertoire.

Again, they may have fielded offers and had discussions leading up to draft day. You should have a pretty good idea of who is looking for what, and what they are willing to deal by then. Particularly with the 1st round pick.

On draft day, I'd still prefer they take time and just pretend they are looking at all the options, even if they aren't.

I am fine with the Spiller pick and I am in the BPA camp ( within reason ) I don't see why people want to take the 4th best offensive tackle with the 9th pick. The only guy that was an option in my opinion before the draft was Dez Bryant, which would have been a reach given where he went but is it in hindsight? That would have really set TBD on fire. What will happen this year if they walk up to podium and announce Prince or Patrick Peterson?

Edited by agardin

Why does Tom Modrake still collect a paycheck?

Bluenews, you beat me to it!

Why does Modrak still collect a paycheck from OBD?

Has he mastered in psychology, because he certainly has done a number on Wilson...

Marty Shottenheimer was talking to Peter King about his days In S.d . One of the things he mentioned is how Buddy was the Go to guy when it came to evaluating players for the draft . He said the A.j relied heavily on Buddy for all matters on draft day . He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix. Take it for what it is worth, form your own opinions. That said I think Buddy is doing a great job. Look at all the talent brought in either through undrafted Free agents or through the waiver process. While the Bills are still lacky in several areas the top to bottom quality is greatly improved in his first year. Can't wait to see what he does in his first offseason after having a year to evaluate his current talent.

I don't care for the mercurial way Schotts handled it when it was prognosticated that he would be a candidate for our then-vacant HC position last offseason...but I do respect him and the job he does building clubs to get to the playoffs (once in, its a different story).

But I think any goof ball can come on here and trumpet his ignorance as to why Nix is not good.

Yet these same baffoons will defend Modrak for his decade of ineptitude, while Nix only helped turn San Diego into a powerhouse (along with the Bills) and has only been with us for 2 seasons now.

Funny thing is...both last years and this years drafts have been better than the prior decade combined. Wood, Levitre, Byrd...I think Easley will NOT be another Hardly...Troup and Carrington will develop...and our receiving corp?

And while we're at it...let's give Whaley credit for NOT being John Guy. Whaley brought in guys like Urbik, Wrotto, Ganther, Martin, Ayodele, Pears, that LB from Miami...Merriman from San Diego...now, none of these guys are currently torching the league, and none may even be with the team during the next season...BUT all of these guys are better than the scrubs were had been holding onto and have helped to make the Bills competitive every week and fun to watch again.

Or Bulaga or Anthony Davis, both of whom have developed into very good right tackles already.

bulaga was benched at some point this season. anthony davis has been extremely inconsistent this year. Jax plays a 4-3 not a 3-4. alualu is 6'4 304, far, far too small for a 3-4 NT. Carrington, Moats and Troupe all had increased PT as the season went on, not decreased. Throw Antonio Coleman in there too until he was hurt. It's almost like some of you guys just spew BS without knowing anything about football.

if you guys watch the bills you will see a few things: 1.) Troupe doesn't get moved off the ball often, but is still struggling to shed blockers. Kyle has been double teamed a ton (the Pats did it ALL game to him, Sullivan is an idiot for not noticing this) 2.) Carrington is going to be very solid, but needs to learn his position more. He saw a lot of increased playing time with Dwan out. Expect him to challenge Stroud next year (if they cant unload stroud for a pick or two to a 4-3 team). 3.) Moats is our new pass rushing OLB. He was given a ot more coverage responsibility as the season went on. Sure, hes about as good at it as Poz at this point, but he's a converted DE. His ceiling is Dumervil basically.

Edited by rpcolosi

I like our draft and undrafted rooks this year. Batten, Moats, Coleman, Carrington, Troup, Easley, Spiller, Nelson, Roosevelt, Jones, Wang and Howard have great upside as starters or good depth. Buddy's waiver wire picks have promise. I would have like to have seen Spiller explode as the top pick but his talent is obvious.

I agree we need more production and some solid acquisitions on D next year (especially at LB) either from the draft or FA. We need a RT and a TE as well. But no one bats 1,000 and it's going to take a few years to stock a talent-barron team with good players. As critical as we can be, I don't have the time and desire to maintain a negative burn about our picks. We've made headway this year after a decade of aimless drifting. This thread began with some props to Buddy and I second the notion. Okay, have at it TSW corrosives.....

bulaga was benched at some point this season. anthony davis has been extremely inconsistent this year. Jax plays a 4-3 not a 3-4. alualu is 6'4 304, far, far too small for a 3-4 NT. Carrington, Moats and Troupe all had increased PT as the season went on, not decreased. Throw Antonio Coleman in there too until he was hurt. It's almost like some of you guys just spew BS without knowing anything about football.

if you guys watch the bills you will see a few things: 1.) Troupe doesn't get moved off the ball often, but is still struggling to shed blockers. Kyle has been double teamed a ton (the Pats did it ALL game to him, Sullivan is an idiot for not noticing this) 2.) Carrington is going to be very solid, but needs to learn his position more. He saw a lot of increased playing time with Dwan out. Expect him to challenge Stroud next year (if they cant unload stroud for a pick or two to a 4-3 team). 3.) Moats is our new pass rushing OLB. He was given a ot more coverage responsibility as the season went on. Sure, hes about as good at it as Poz at this point, but he's a converted DE. His ceiling is Dumervil basically.

I notice you don't mention Spiller (and I didn't mention Alualu).

I'd take a solid young RT like Bulaga or Davis any day, over what we have on the roster. And every year, they're there for the taking and the Bills' braintrust passes on them in favor of some shiny new skill position toy. It amazes me that Bills fans still defend this team's insistence on starting yet another season without five NFL-caliber offensive linemen. It's classic Stockholm Syndrome.

This team needed (and needs) to look to the future in the draft, not just the next year. I believe Chan and Buddy felt he NEEDED an offensive player like Spiller for this offense to work effectively. It may not have been the biggest need for this season, but you have to look further ahead than that when you are rebuilding.

You can certainly argue Spiller wasn't the best choice, but your ideal of "need" seems far too narrow.

Or maybe it was the simple fact that they didnt think there was a defensive player worth that draft slot in the 1st? They did in fact select Troupe with their very next pick and Carrington immediately after.....

I just dont understand people sometimes....THIS TEAM WAS IN SHAMBLES....they did NOT expect to win this year. They will get more defensive reinforcements when they draft Bowers......

This team needed (and needs) to look to the future in the draft, not just the next year. I believe Chan and Buddy felt he NEEDED an offensive player like Spiller for this offense to work effectively. It may not have been the biggest need for this season, but you have to look further ahead than that when you are rebuilding.

You can certainly argue Spiller wasn't the best choice, but your ideal of "need" seems far too narrow.

Word.

If the theory goes it takes a while to season a rookie, and if you are rebuilding a team in the image you would like it to be, and you have a multi-year plan, why wouldn't you take the player you feel helps you get there? It's Gailey (and Nix, of course) plan, he/they should work it as he sees fit. The ultimate proof of success/failure isn't at the end of 2010, it's where he ends up with this team in the future.

I could give less than a rats arse if they took a punter in the first round if they put a team on the field that can compete week in/week out, and God forbid maybe even play a game in January. If they are unable to do so, we hop on the "Spiller was a terrible choice!" bandwagon. There's always extra seats to be had, and they are always free.

Edited by timmo1805

2) There were plenty of good players available in FA and via trade who would've helped this team. PLENTY. I'm not going to document each one of them, but I wish folks would stop repeating that there was no one available (or that those players who were on the market wouldn't have come here). B.S. This team chose to sit out, for whatever reason, while quality right tackles like Jamaal Brown and Flozel Adams changed venues. Think Scheffler would've helped at TE? The list goes on and on.

3) Interesting revisionism there considering that they drafted specifically to implement a 3-4 defense to stop the run. It's not like Troup and Carrington were injured - they were benched.

Which is why I said there are "some concerns."

Not ANY first rounder does, for this used car franchise.

Some would say Nix has been given an impossible mandate...

Chan or any Head coach picks their staff or they walk.

The Free agent pool was very week Brown was a trade if I recall and adams was out there all offseason and nobody wanted him. Pittsburgh oline has been their only weekeness this year.

Thinking that two rookies a second and third round pick were going to instantly turn around the defense is no realistic

Pieces are being put into place . Half the Board wanted to get rid of Bell who now appears to be on his way to being a solid left tackle, they wanted to draft Claussen ,when Fitz is playing at a level Claussen can only hope to reach in three years.

By the way Buddy never said he wasnot going to be involved with Free agency he said he was not going to build the team through free agency . Like he did in S.D AND like the steelers have been doing forever.

If you want to build a team with free agents you can root for the Redskins how is that workig out by the way

I notice you don't mention Spiller (and I didn't mention Alualu).

I'd take a solid young RT like Bulaga or Davis any day, over what we have on the roster. And every year, they're there for the taking and the Bills' braintrust passes on them in favor of some shiny new skill position toy. It amazes me that Bills fans still defend this team's insistence on starting yet another season without five NFL-caliber offensive linemen. It's classic Stockholm Syndrome.

You would take "solid RT" that either struggled or were flat out benched? I am just trying to understand that comment....are you just saying that they will end up being solid and better next year? That is a fair stance.

But I present to you that I think Troupe, Carrington, Easley, and Moates will all be better next year. Especially Troupe and Carrington who I saw flashes of doing good things (unlike Maybin who NEVER did anything to make a person feel that way) both of them possess the "country strong" strength to be able to play the position.

What has Buddy really done now that he's been on the job a full year? Their UFA's haven't made much impact, aside from perhaps Dwan Edwards before he was injured. Andra Davis was IR'd, will be 32 next season and Cornell Green was as bad as we thought he was. The top pick RB who was supposed to be instant impact hasn't done that, although he's by no means a bust. The 2nd and 3rd rounders are on the field, but both seem to be 34 projects right now.

No one's judging the draft after one year, but the UFA class has yielded little. They will need a better starting QB, more talent at both OT's, and lots of help in the front 7, particularly pass rushers. Maybe RW is right that it'll take 3 more years, but a solid GM could do it sooner.

You would take "solid RT" that either struggled or were flat out benched? I am just trying to understand that comment....are you just saying that they will end up being solid and better next year? That is a fair stance.

But I present to you that I think Troupe, Carrington, Easley, and Moates will all be better next year. Especially Troupe and Carrington who I saw flashes of doing good things (unlike Maybin who NEVER did anything to make a person feel that way) both of them possess the "country strong" strength to be able to play the position.

They are rookie RTs. They had their ups and downs and both of them finished the season extremely well. Davis was downright dominant the last few games. Yes, I would literally KILL for that right now.

I don't have a problem with the Troup/Carrington picks, other than the fact that they may have been drafted for a defensive scheme that has since been scrapped - it remains to be seen. I'm talking about the Spiller pick, and why it would've been better spent on someone who stands in front of the QB.

They are rookie RTs. They had their ups and downs and both of them finished the season extremely well. Davis was downright dominant the last few games. Yes, I would literally KILL for that right now.

I don't have a problem with the Troup/Carrington picks, other than the fact that they may have been drafted for a defensive scheme that has since been scrapped - it remains to be seen. I'm talking about the Spiller pick, and why it would've been better spent on someone who stands in front of the QB.

Dominant is a bit strong. Bulaga is starting by attrition as well. They both wouldn't have upgraded our team more than Spiller. I think the jury is out on all three. Here's a few snippets from a recent article on Davis...

My link

Davis acknowledges his own first year has been humbling.

It was the worst game of the season for Davis, who has become a symbol of the 49ers' inconsistent offensive line.

Davis has six false starts this season. The only players with more are Baltimore's Michael Oher (eight), Indianapolis' Ryan Diem (eight), Minnesota's Phil Loadholt (seven) and Tennessee's Jake Scott (seven)

The 49ers are among the worst pass protectors in the league, according to the New York

Edited by stony

Dominant is a bit strong. Bulaga is starting by attrition as well. They both wouldn't have upgraded our team more than Spiller. I think the jury is out on all three. Here's a few snippets from a recent article on Davis...

My link

Davis acknowledges his own first year has been humbling.

It was the worst game of the season for Davis, who has become a symbol of the 49ers' inconsistent offensive line.

Davis has six false starts this season. The only players with more are Baltimore's Michael Oher (eight), Indianapolis' Ryan Diem (eight), Minnesota's Phil Loadholt (seven) and Tennessee's Jake Scott (seven)

The 49ers are among the worst pass protectors in the league, according to the New York

I love how players we didn't draft are all so amazingly awesome.

PTR

The contributions of all the late round draft picks and UDFA's suggest Modrak is a genius. Typically the head scout has the least say about early round picks, and the most for later picks and UDFAs. Is that how it works for the Bills? I don't know, and I would bet you don't, either.

The 2010 draft eligible class will be looked at as one of the deepest in a long, long time. There was much talent to be had for all and all around the league there are teams that are getting tremendous returns from mid-late picks and free agents. And the early rounds were loaded with impact too, check the Pro Bowl rosters. And this was to be anticipated, the general consensus was that this was going to be a strong draft class.

Unfortunately, the Bills didn't have a lot of picks and were inclined to pick for need because of their switch to a 3-4. There isn't really even one player from the Bills class that looks like a lock to be a good starter next season and that is where much of the disappointment comes from. Even the Maybin draft yielded obvious starters in Wood and Levitre. But there are a lot of players this past class with the potential to be good starters. In the end it's not inconceivable that there could be 6-8 starters from this one draft. Time will tell.

again anyone taking shots at the Spiller pick has to give a realistic name on who you wold have drafted at number 9

How about any one of these 5?

Anthony Davis

Mike Iupati

Jermaine Gresham

Bryan Bulaga

Dez Bryant

Any one of these would have been a better pick. I'll certainly crawfish if Spiller turns out to be good. But so far, as the #9 pick in the draft, he's not.

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

I hope they draft what they NEED this time around.

Why not take Spiller? Their offense was near the bottom as well. Add no excitement and near the bottom. Spiller will pay off eventually.

Edited by purple haze

...He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix....

Oh really? What about Scott Pioli, who built the 3 Pats SB's with Belicheck and now has turned the Chiefs around from garbage last season into AFC West Champs this year. I'm not saying Buddy is swiss cheese, and I agree some of the late rounders and free agents look pretty good so far, but Shotty's exagerating just a "bit" to say Buddy is the best at evaluating talent. I mean if that were true, no way would he have allowed Gailey to waste so much time on Trent Edwards which basically killed the Bills' offense until Fitzy was into the 9th game or so! Buddy should have cut Edwards his second day on the job, if he was that good at evaluating "talent".

I think you're taking this football thing a little too far.

Memory truly is a little rusty on this.....but didnt Brad Butler retire right before the season?

Carrington is not known for his pass rush....but is extremely raw. I actually love Troupe for both defenses because while he is a massive person he can actually play both......

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

I hope they draft what they NEED this time around.

Buddy clearly stated that they wanted PLAYMAKERS for the team. They fel CJ was a playmaker and was the best available at that spot at that time. Sure we could have got a Mathews but that is 20/20.

Can all you Buddy Nix apologists explain the Chris Kelsay re-signing? 4 years and $24 million? I accept the excuses for the poor 2010 draft class production and the lack of big-name 2010 free agents, but the Kelsay contract is !@#$ing inexcusable. It reeks of the same foul stench that permeated Marv Levy's GM tenure.

Whenever I read about the criticism Nix and Gailey get for drafting Spiller, the first thing that comes to mind is this: they knew they weren't going to be competing for the S.B. in 2010. Spiller - as well as guys like Carrington and Troupe - were drafted to give the Bills developed players at certain positions, not in 2010, but in 2011 or 2012, when we might be competing for the playoffs.

Spiller is obviously just as quick as we thought - he just needs to learn to run differently after the handoff, and learn to block a little better. I agree with another post, as well, and am excited to see what Nix and Gailey will do this offseason knowing better what they have already on their roster. Looking at some of the talent they've added up to now, the tail end of our roster will see some tougher cuts next year, especially places like WR and, I presume, after this offseason, the DL and maybe even LB corps.