Why is does Cam Newton not get more consideration?

TH3

I beleive Bills99999 tried to start a thread - but it got somewhat hijacked:

Seriously - Why does CN not get more consideration for us? To be honest - I could care less about his laptop and his dad - as in I was just in Pittsburgh and people seemed to have forgot about BR being an arse.

Anyway - CN COULD be one of the most game changing QB's in a long time. A bigger stronger Vick. I think he actually led or was near the top of FBS in passing accuracy (seems hard to say he is inaccurate or can't read defences)- against the SEC South - the toughest conference - he led comebacks, routs, he went un-freaking-defeated.

He will make a bad offensive line look great.

Take away the off the field stuff - seriously - how could one not seriously consider him?

Seriously - Why does CN not get more consideration for us? To be honest - I could care less about his laptop and his dad - as in I was just in Pittsburgh and people seemed to have forgot about BR being an arse.

Anyway - CN COULD be one of the most game changing QB's in a long time. A bigger stronger Vick. I think he actually led or was near the top of FBS in passing accuracy (seems hard to say he is inaccurate or can't read defences)- against the SEC South - the toughest conference - he led comebacks, routs, he went un-freaking-defeated.

Take away the off the field stuff - seriously - how could one not seriously consider him?

I think above all else, considering the number of variables that will be coming into play between now and the draft, it is far too early to be focusing on one player. Heck Newton could be the #1 pick if he scouts well and Luck stays in school. Plus I think after the Tebow overload on the board last year it would be wise to hold off on these threads until closer to draft day.

Ok..he is one quarterback it would be very hard to say no to. Discipline in in decision making is going to mean looking to the person who can best help this team get to the playoffs, and that discipline has us going for the best defensive lineman or linebacker and a great offensive lineman. But even I have to admit I'd swallow very hard before passing on CN.

My argument against Newton is based on risk management and sample size, primarily, but also character secondarily. I tend to subscribe to the analysis put forth by Bill Parcells when it comes to QBs, in that he suggests drafting QBs that meet these four criteria…

1.He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

2.He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasnt ephemeral and that he has lived as the guy for some period of time.

4.He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

I have my own 5th, which is Wonderlic score, that is one above a 22. If you do the research on available QB Wonderlic scores, Super Bowl winning QBs, which if I recall correctly the exception being Bradshaw, all have a Wonderlic of 22 or higher. Think about the QBs and your perception of their intelligence, particularly the greats of the past 20 years Elway, Montana, Young, Aikman. All smart and cerebral. Even the ones you generally might not consider intelligent or high thinkers whove won in the last 20 years scored 22 or more.

Im not saying a dummie cant get you to the playoffs (its happened) or that all-brains, no athleticism brainy QB will. Im saying that if a Super Bowl win is your goal, picking a JP Losman again surely wont get you there.

Not sure where Newton will be on the score, but he doesnt measure up to all four Parcells variables. He wasnt a three year starter. He has 24 wins, but 11 were at a juco in Texas and hardly worthy of consideration in Parcells variables. I dont think Parcells was talking about juco stats. Listen, he got 11 wins at Blinn, but thats not even the same level of competition as UB has in the MAC.

Its about not picking the best athlete per se, its about having the most information and then making an educated decision on who the best QB is.

When you factor everything into the equation, you then have to consider the personality issues. Caught cheating at Florida makes me question his commitment to hard work.

So youre looking to invest money in a leader, lots of money. The face of your franchise. Can you risk the one year starting stats of Cam Newton? I wouldnt. Id much rather take the same risk with a cheaper QB in later rounds and grab a better impact player first.

The difference between bad drafting teams and good ones, I think, is the inability to have a detached, unemotional attachment to player and physical attributes and numbers without putting them into context.

Edited by zonabb

Actually, I was telling some friends while watching the games this weekend that I have a feeling Cam is going to be a Buffalo Bill next year. To clarify, I wasnt saying he should be or that he is my preferred choice, just stating that I have a feeling that Chan is going to want this kid.

Personally, if we could get him in the 2nd, I would be all for it...I think that is a pipe dream though and he more than likely is a first round pick. That being said, I dont like him at where we will pick in the first. There are better and safer prospects at other positions of need that will be available that I like better. Besides, if by some miracle Luck is available at our pick, that is the guy I want.

Why is does. Lol

Also because people compare him to Russel in Oakland. People want a QB like Matt Ryan or Bradford because so far they have looked like solid starters.

Why do they compare him to Russel? Russel is nowhere near the athlete Newton is.

My guess, as sad as it is....he's black. I'd take Newton over any QB in this draft not named Luck. Not sure what other reason, other than the color of his skin, that he doesn't get the respect. He's got size, strength, speed, sees the rush coming and decent touch on his passes. He may not be the most polished "passer", but he's nowhere near where jamarcus was in college, he's much better.

I'm not a big fan of Newton, but I do think he's got a good chance to help a team win in the nfl.

cam and vick are 2 completely different types of runners. vick is much smaller and shiftier. look at QBs who run the spread option. its much different than a normal spread. he blew up the stats and he is far and away the best player in college this year. but many of his passes were short dump offs and yes he made some college Ds look silly. IMO he will not have the same impact at the nfl level. his release and throwing motion needs some work too.

the bills need impact players now. not project players that maybe could be good. he is very much like tebow. a better runner but not as good of a passer.

front 7 impact guys now is the move i hope

My argument against Newton is based on risk management and sample size, primarily, but also character secondarily. I tend to subscribe to the analysis put forth by Bill Parcells when it comes to QBs, in that he suggests drafting QBs that meet these four criteria…

1.He must be a senior, because you need time and maturity to develop into a good professional quarterback.

2.He must be a graduate, because you want someone who takes his responsibilities seriously.

3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.

4.He must have at least 23 wins, because the big passing numbers must come in the context of winning games.

Not sure where Newton will be on the score, but he doesn’t measure up to all four “Parcells” variables.

Neither do Luck, Locker or Mallett. Or Tom Brady.

But, hey, Chad Henne does.

im pretty sure theres a thread debating this every other day. he gets a lot of conversation and i see both sides

pro: big, fast, most athletic guy on the field, seems to have an NFL arm

cons: tremendous lapses in judgement off the field, runs a spread option offense which does not remotely transfer to the nfl, small sample size (one year at an SEC school)

I get why Cam is so appealing to many Bills fans. He undoubtedly is the the best college football player in the country. That level of talent is enticing, especially for a team that hasn't had much to be excited about in a very long time.

My concerns is that Newton may not be the best NFL ready QB prospect, and that he would require 1-2 years of grooming before he deserved to be the starter. I really don't think that the bills have the luxury of spending their first round pick on someone who would not be an immediate contributor.

I am concerned that he has not played in a pro-style offense...he currently plays in a shotgun spread type offense. I also am concerned about the character issues. Unless he is available in the 2nd round, which he will not be, I say pass on Newton. IMO....Fitz has proven that he is a more than capable starting QB, and he will only get better. Let's build around him.

For fans there's no way of us knowing if his talent will translate. He needs to sit in a film room with coaches and breakdown what he's seeing for them and where he should go with the ball. He obviously has the physical tools it's a matter if he has the football smarts. Also, how quickly can he process information and how is his accuracy when he doesn't have a stone wall of an offensive line in front of him to give him all day to throw?

Personally, he reminds me of Daunte Culpepper but with a bit more speed and (at the college level) more accuracy.

I get why Cam is so appealing to many Bills fans. He undoubtedly is the the best college football player in the country. That level of talent is enticing, especially for a team that hasn't had much to be excited about in a very long time.

My concerns is that Newton may not be the best NFL ready QB prospect, and that he would require 1-2 years of grooming before he deserved to be the starter. I really don't think that the bills have the luxury of spending their first round pick on someone who would not be an immediate contributor.

I am concerned that he has not played in a pro-style offense...he currently plays in a shotgun spread type offense. I also am concerned about the character issues. Unless he is available in the 2nd round, which he will not be, I say pass on Newton. IMO....Fitz has proven that he is a more than capable starting QB, and he will only get better. Let's build around him.

Expecting immediate contribution from any draft pick is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

IMO, the fact that Fitz has proven to be a better-than-serviceable QB gives the Bills MORE ability to take Newton. With the full expectation that he will sit the entire 2011 season to learn the offense from 1. The best offensive/QB-minded coach the Bills have ever had, and 2. the 5th smartest athlete in all of professional sports.

NOW is the time to get a young QB. No pressure to start him for at least another year, which could be stretched into 2 if need be.

If we decide to go Dline, I'll be just as happy. I'm just saying I understand if we do pick him, and not to expect anything from him (or any other QB we draft) next year.

My only knock on Newton is that he has only proven himself over 1 season.

Mr. Hammersticks, Simply out of curiosity where did that "whose chair" diatribe under your postings come from? Every time I read it I laugh. :thumbsup:

On YouTube, look up "drinking out of cups." Watch the clip with the little cartoon lizard. It's a sound clip of some crazy musician who is allegedly tripping-out on acid or something. The sound clip is sync'd to an animated lizard which makes it even more hilarious. The first time I watched it, my wife and I laughed and laughed until we were crying!

Expecting immediate contribution from any draft pick is a recipe for disaster and disappointment.

IMO, the fact that Fitz has proven to be a better-than-serviceable QB gives the Bills MORE ability to take Newton. With the full expectation that he will sit the entire 2011 season to learn the offense from 1. The best offensive/QB-minded coach the Bills have ever had, and 2. the 5th smartest athlete in all of professional sports.

NOW is the time to get a young QB. No pressure to start him for at least another year, which could be stretched into 2 if need be.

If we decide to go Dline, I'll be just as happy. I'm just saying I understand if we do pick him, and not to expect anything from him (or any other QB we draft) next year.

Agreed...but why do we need to draft a developmental QB in round one? I just feel that this team desperately needs to upgrade it's defensive front, and that a defensive lineman would be a much less risky pick than would Cam Newton.

Not having enough experience is a reasonable concern about a qb prospect. What mitigates that concern is that he has performed at an exemplary level in a very high level conference. In addition, he won a national championship with his junior college team.

As you noted, with the Bills having Fitz as their starter there is no need to rush him.

If you get a chance listen to the radio link on a prior posting #12 on this same topic in which the scout compares Newton and Mallett.

Edited by JohnC

I agree. It makes me feel good just reading that. Who would have thought when they made the hire that however many months later we would be 3-10 and still making statements like that? This season has been everything we could've realistically hoped for.

Chan Gailey is the best. I love that man.

Mr. Hammersticks, Simply out of curiosity where did that "whose chair" diatribe under your postings come from? Every time I read it I laugh. :thumbsup:

On YouTube, look up "drinking out of cups." Watch the clip with the little cartoon lizard. It's a sound clip of some crazy musician who is allegedly tripping-out on acid or something. The sound clip is sync'd to an animated lizard which makes it even more hilarious. The first time I watched it, my wife and I laughed and laughed until we were crying!

Agreed...but why do we need to draft a developmental QB in round one? I just feel that this team desperately needs to upgrade it's defensive front, and that a defensive lineman would be a much less risky pick than would Cam Newton.

quite frankly because any qb is developmental and if you see one you think can develop into a HOF'er or even probowler, you take him. you cant go back and get him 2 years from now if you are 8-8 and 8-8. you need to have a disaster season or trade a kings ransom to get to the top of the draft. If you are picking in the top 5 or so odds are you dont have that guy on your roster unless you picked him last year in the top 5. If you believe in the guy at that pick you are absolutely nuts to pass him even if you have an average to slightly above average qb. now its just a matter of whether they see that guy.

im not saying you cant get that qb elsewhere, but that is the most reliable place to do so.

Edited by NoSaint

Thanks. I found it. Now every time I see the quote I'm going to visualize that stoned wise-ass lizard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCV2L0c6K0

Why is does. Lol

Also because people compare him to Russel in Oakland. People want a QB like Matt Ryan or Bradford because so far they have looked like solid starters.

Fair or not, the Jamarcus Russell factor will scare a lot of teams away from picking Newton. I agree, though, that Newton is a better athlete and QB than Russell ever was. Perhaps a better comparison would be Vince Young--they are very similar athletes coming out of college. Both also have serious character issues.

Why do they compare him to Russel? Russel is nowhere near the athlete Newton is.

My guess, as sad as it is....he's black. I'd take Newton over any QB in this draft not named Luck. Not sure what other reason, other than the color of his skin, that he doesn't get the respect. He's got size, strength, speed, sees the rush coming and decent touch on his passes. He may not be the most polished "passer", but he's nowhere near where jamarcus was in college, he's much better.

I'm not a big fan of Newton, but I do think he's got a good chance to help a team win in the nfl.

Isn't the comparison to Russell a consideration of their athleticism vs. their behavioral IQs?? Whatever the reason, I haven't really heard that comparison all that often. In any case, jumping to the conclusion that it MUST be about race is less valid than a Russell comparison.

Conversations like this are just crazy. the OP starts by asking the question, "Why doesn't CN get more consideration?".

Well,

1) It's December and most of us know the draft is in April.

2) Can anyone think of a college player that's getting more press - both good and bad - than Newton?

3) Who knows how much consideration the Bills FO is giving this one player?

4) Who cares how much consideration TBDers are giving him, and how can you judge that anyway? Are CM posters the only one considering his future value in the NFL?

5) Contrary to one of the themes of this thread and certainly one of the main themes of the other thread, it's pretty hard to back up any claim that Buffalo, as a team and as a city, is somehow bigoted against black players - QBs or otherwise.

Because we don't need a QB...

Isn't the comparison to Russell a consideration of their athleticism vs. their behavioral IQs?? Whatever the reason, I haven't really heard that comparison all that often. In any case, jumping to the conclusion that it MUST be about race is less valid than a Russell comparison.

Conversations like this are just crazy. the OP starts by asking the question, "Why doesn't CN get more consideration?".

Well,

1) It's December and most of us know the draft is in April.

2) Can anyone think of a college player that's getting more press - both good and bad - than Newton?

3) Who knows how much consideration the Bills FO is giving this one player?

4) Who cares how much consideration TBDers are giving him, and how can you judge that anyway? Are CM posters the only one considering his future value in the NFL?

5) Contrary to one of the themes of this thread and certainly one of the main themes of the other thread, it's pretty hard to back up any claim that Buffalo, as a team and as a city, is somehow bigoted against black players - QBs or otherwise.

I thought when I read the title of this...consideration for what? The 4th - 8th pick in the draft? Too many variables. Let's wait to see what plays out in the next few months before we start accusing the front office and/or fanbase of imcompetence or worse, racism. That's the problem I had with the first thread on the subject. Too much conjecture and not enough fact-based realism.

Edited by Erik

I don't like drafting one season wonders. He's done it one year -- not a full resume of performance. Maybin was a one season wonder. How did that work out?

In todays world some people will try to win no matter the cost :devil: , weather it be how bad they do some one else , how much money they spend or how dishonest they are be reaching their goal :pirate: . I believe that Newton has caught everyones eye including Buddy Nix he's not a stupid man dispite what a lot of Bills fans think .

With that being said i think they will do there due diligence in looking into every person that they consider for the team , and will make a decision on what they feel is best over all for this team .

One thing that Chan always preaches is character which is all right by me :thumbsup: ! I'm not saying that Newton is a bad character type of kid but some times the baggage that comes along with some things in life just ain't worth it !! And along with Newton comes his family of which has had an awful lot of say in what Cam does & doesn't do so that is probably another thing Nix & company is

considering .

Winning at any cost is not (IMHO) always the best way to do things 0:) although that is what todays world is all about but what ever Nix & Gailey do i'll be behind there decision 110% rather than what a lot of these fans think !!! :nana:

Cam looks like an interesting possibility for a draft pick. I'm not totally on the Cam bandwagon for several reasons.

I haven't seen him play much. I plan to watch the bowl game and will then decide on that.

He only started 1 year. A one hit wonder. Maybe he's another Derek Anderson?

The while laptop stealing thing. We don't want to draft a nut job for the most important position on our team. The guy that will carry us to the SB.

His Dad trying to auction him off. If this is the example he got growing up that it's OK to cheat if it help you, then he may have "issues". Needs to be thoroughly looked into.

And, I'd rather see us draft for a position of major need this year. Preferably on the defense (except DB) or Offensive Line.

This is the absolute truth. Tattoo it on the forehead of everyone who cares about this team.

As I said on the other thread it would be a terrible pick. He is a 50/50 chance at best to succeed in the NFL. He won't overrun NFL safeties and linebackers like he has in college. When he can't do that his ability to scramble becomes less effective and his accuracy will thus be more important. Because his running ability has been so hard to stop in college teams have blitzed non stop on him and it's a lot easier to pass on man coverage.

He's a one-season wonder.

Does anyone really see Cam Newton making quick decisions and delivering the ball with accuracy in the face of an oncoming defender? I just don't.

I'll admit, his passing stats are very good, but I just don't see him making quick decisions like the top 1/2 of QBs, or even Fitz, can do. And the people who say, "well, Vick finally got better and did it" should realize that Vick has a solid o-line. Most of his passing is down the field stuff, not quick hitting, smart read stuff that Gailey has molded the offense around.

3.He must be a three-year starter, because you need to make sure his success wasn’t ephemeral and that he has lived as “the guy” for some period of time.

I have my own 5th, which is Wonderlic score, that is one above a 22. If you do the research on available QB Wonderlic scores, Super Bowl winning QBs, which if I recall correctly the exception being Bradshaw, all have a Wonderlic of 22 or higher. Think about the QBs and your perception of their intelligence, particularly the greats of the past 20 years Elway, Montana, Young, Aikman. All smart and cerebral. Even the ones you generally might not consider intelligent or high thinkers who’ve won in the last 20 years scored 22 or more.

I’m not saying a dummie can’t get you to the playoffs (it’s happened) or that all-brains, no athleticism brainy QB will. I’m saying that if a Super Bowl win is your goal, picking a JP Losman again surely won’t get you there.

Not sure where Newton will be on the score, but he doesn’t measure up to all four “Parcells” variables. He wasn’t a three year starter. He has 24 wins, but 11 were at a juco in Texas and hardly worthy of consideration in Parcells’ variables. I don’t think Parcells was talking about juco stats. Listen, he got 11 wins at Blinn, but that’s not even the same level of competition as UB has in the MAC.

It’s about not picking the best athlete per se, it’s about having the most information and then making an educated decision on who the best QB is.

When you factor everything into the equation, you then have to consider the personality issues. Caught cheating at Florida makes me question his commitment to hard work.

So you’re looking to invest money in a leader, lots of money. The face of your franchise. Can you risk the one year starting stats of Cam Newton? I wouldn’t. I’d much rather take the same risk with a cheaper QB in later rounds and grab a better impact player first.

The difference between bad drafting teams and good ones, I think, is the inability to have a detached, unemotional attachment to player and physical attributes and numbers without putting them into context.

How does Fitzmagic fit in this equation?

You can look at Cam Newton's future in the NFL this way: it depends on where he ends up. If some team were to draft him that expected him to be something he isn't, or to play in a system not ready and willing to mold to his abilities, then he might end up a mess. However, if he goes to a team that has a good QB coach, that has a clear grasp of what he can and cannot do, and then builds the offense around those skills - which are considerable - then he'll do good.

I mean, imagining him with a D. Jauron type coach, who couldn't adapt, you could see him fail. But, imagining him with a Bill Belicheck, who would know how to use his skills to the team's advantage, then you could easily see him succeeding.

Then there is the question of whether or not he really has the mental skills to react and to think quick enough for the NFL game - and I don't know if there is a way to determine that ahead of time or not.

Imho opinion, it would be a luxury pick if we take CN. But I wouldn't be all that upset either. If we don't take a QB in the 1st round, then we don't need to draft one period! We still have Brohm and Brown! What Nix and Gailey need to be considering is how to get more picks. I guess we'll just have to leave it up to them. But it is still early. We have to wait and see how the bowl games go and the combine.

Hmmm...Where to start with this thought... :unsure:

Ok...Luxury Pick...You do realize your talking about the same GM and Head Coach who selected a Running Back at #8 overall when they had one RB in-house coming off a 1000 yard Season, AND the other in-house RB was a former 1st Round Pick, #12 Overall just a few years ago? So with this bunch you can throw that "luxury pick" logic right out the window...

Plus lets face the facts here...The assumption that we will Draft a Defensive Player in the 1st Round that is going to have some kind of incredible immediate impact is just that, an assumption...The 1st two Draft picks on the Defensive Side from the 2009 Draft have been average NFL Players...BJ Raji was the 3rd and he's been a little better than average...Aaron Maybin was the 4th...The Bills currently have a 6th Round pick (Moats) that's outperforming a #11 overall pick (Maybin) by a country mile...At the same position no-less...Even though the 6th Rounder was actually Drafted to back-up at a different position...So I kind of have to chuckle when I see the thought, and it's only a though at this point, of Drafting a QB as a luxury pick...Because without knowing how these Kids are going to play in the NFL, and realistically none of us truly knows, how can we possibly determine what is the right or wrong move ahead of time?

So lets turn this around hypothetically...Lets say the Bills pass on Newton and take Fairley for example...Fairley goes on to be a decent player but struggles a bit with injuries...Fitz still plays well but never reaches that elite status...The Bills make the Playoffs once in the next 5 years...Meanwhile Newton goes to The Cowboys and in 3-4 Years has them in the Super Bowl...Everyone on this board knows what the general consensus would be...We passed on the star QB...How in the world could The Bills of all Teams pass on the star QB???

Now that was a complete hypothetical, and you could turn it around just as easily...We take Newton, and pass on Fairley...Newton struggles vs NFL Defenses and Fairley becomes the next Bruce...What I'm getting at is this...Who really knows? And if you trust your Scouting Department you have to go with the consensus...If the consensus from this FO is Newton it's NOT a luxury because Fitz, as adorable and Fan friendly as he is, probably falls short of being an elite NFL QB...So if Gailey and Nix LOVE Newton there's no way they are passing on him and thinking it's a luxury pick...They're thinking he's the QB that is going to lead The Buffalo Bills to the Super Bowl in 3-5 years...That's all they're really thinking about...Just saying...B-)

If we don't take a QB in the 1st round, then we don't need to draft one period! We still have Brohm and Brown!

We could also pick up a backup QB in FA. Tavaris Jackson and Troy Smith will be FAs along with some others. And some guys will get cut that have had success and still have some tread left on the tires. Then we could use those draft picks on more glaring needs,

Hmmm...Where to start with this thought... :unsure:

Ok...Luxury Pick...You do realize your talking about the same GM and Head Coach who selected a Running Back at #8 overall when they had one RB in-house coming off a 1000 yard Season, AND the other in-house RB was a former 1st Round Pick, #12 Overall just a few years ago? So with this bunch you can throw that "luxury pick" logic right out the window...

Plus lets face the facts here...The assumption that we will Draft a Defensive Player in the 1st Round that is going to have some kind of incredible immediate impact is just that, an assumption...The 1st two Draft picks on the Defensive Side from the 2009 Draft have been average NFL Players...BJ Raji was the 3rd and he's been a little better than average...Aaron Maybin was the 4th...The Bills currently have a 6th Round pick (Moats) that's outperforming a #11 overall pick (Maybin) by a country mile...At the same position no-less...Even though the 6th Rounder was actually Drafted to back-up at a different position...So I kind of have to chuckle when I see the thought, and it's only a though at this point, of Drafting a QB as a luxury pick...Because without knowing how these Kids are going to play in the NFL, and realistically none of us truly knows, how can we possibly determine what is the right or wrong move ahead of time?

So lets turn this around hypothetically...Lets say the Bills pass on Newton and take Fairley for example...Fairley goes on to be a decent player but struggles a bit with injuries...Fitz still plays well but never reaches that elite status...The Bills make the Playoffs once in the next 5 years...Meanwhile Newton goes to The Cowboys and in 3-4 Years has them in the Super Bowl...Everyone on this board knows what the general consensus would be...We passed on the star QB...How in the world could The Bills of all Teams pass on the star QB???

Now that was a complete hypothetical, and you could turn it around just as easily...We take Newton, and pass on Fairley...Newton struggles vs NFL Defenses and Fairley becomes the next Bruce...What I'm getting at is this...Who really knows? And if you trust your Scouting Department you have to go with the consensus...If the consensus from this FO is Newton it's NOT a luxury because Fitz, as adorable and Fan friendly as he is, probably falls short of being an elite NFL QB...So if Gailey and Nix LOVE Newton there's no way they are passing on him and thinking it's a luxury pick...They're thinking he's the QB that is going to lead The Buffalo Bills to the Super Bowl in 3-5 years...That's all they're really thinking about...Just saying...B-)

To the contrary, I don't believe you could consider the Spiller selection to be a "luxury pick." First of all...Spiller was irrefutably the #1 RB in the 2010 draft class. Secondly, I suspect that the front office knew that they had to address the RB position due to Marshawn Lynch's character issues, and his sub-par performance during the 2009 season. Marshawn was one screw-up away from a year-long suspension, and having 2 strong running backs is a necessity, particularly for a cold weather team like Buffalo. With that in mind, it is quite possible that Buddy & Co. felt that they were drafting a position of need, and also the best player available on their draft board.

At this point in time, Cam Newton is not considered to be the top QB prospect in this draft class. I know a lot can change between now and the draft with regard to who declares/who stays in school, the combine, performance in bowl games, etc... That being stated, Cam could end up being the #1 QB prospect come draft time.

I consider Cam Newton to be a "luxury pick" for Buffalo because we already have a good QB in Fitzpatrick, and we have much greater needs on defense. I agree that draft picks are always a gamble, regardless of their position. IMO, however, I would rather take a gamble on a guy like Fairley or Bowers than draft a guy like Newton who is likely going to ride the pine for 1-2 years.

I would like to see this team make a run at the playoffs next season, and I see this as being entirely feasible with the right personnel moves.