The Myth of Lee Evans

1B4IDie

It looks like the rest of this season is myth busters time for Lee Evans

Now that Stevie is tied for 4th in TDs, and is clearly Fitzie's favorite target defenses can't "double Lee" all game long.

Plus you have the emergence of Shawn Nelson (besides the forward progression fumble he had a nice game) the field is going to get a lot bigger for Lee.

So Lee appears to have a QB that everyone can agree is atleast competent if not much better.

Its time to see if Lee Evans is a difference maker.

Stevie Johnson 25 372 5 TDs maybe 388K

Lee Evans 21 286 4TDs about 23 X 388K

And in a similar vein Buddy Nix has to address Stevie Johnson's contract this off season.

He is under contract until 2011 season, but you don't wait until he is a restricted free agent to get someone that is clearly working hard and performing under contract. You get a new contract done the off season before free agency comes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't disagree with you... I am still going to wait a few more games before anointing Johnson a clear #2 WR. How much of this is due to defenses playing with the lead and blitzing us constantly?

We lead almost that entire game against Baltimore. When we were driving to tie the game, Baltimore was in mostly coverage

One career game and there's talk of a contract extension for a guy whose deal doesn't expire for another year plus. Wow.

Its not 1 career game, are you even watching the games?

Stevie has as many TDs with 4 games of playing with Fitzy as TO had all off last year and only 2 away from the Mysterious Lee Evans' 7 TDs in 2009

Nice Post but I think Roscoe may need an extension and a raise as well.

It's not 1967 and the player's don't play for Potato Chips and sodas.

Stevie has worked hard the whole time he has been on the Bills.

If Stevie is in the long term plans of the Bills you renegotiate a contract when there is 1 year left in the contract not when he is a Restricted Free Agent.

I'm not saying you start at Lee Evans numbers, I'm saying you pay the man if he has a good 2010.

How Many WRs come into the league and do diddly squat, its clear he is working hard at it SHOULD pay off for him.

Nix gets a chance to prove that if a player is drafted and plays well they will get paid.

This is how you build a team through the draft you prove to the drafted players that hard work will pay off with a nice new contract.

All's i got to says is it's a good thing by reading some of the reply posts on here & it's painfully obvious why they don't allow fans to be coaches !!!

It's very apparent that Chan & Buddy not only have to change the mindset of the players to a winning one but also have to change that of the fans too !!

Because from what i'm reading you guys wouldn't know a talented wide out if they walked up & bit you in the ass !!!!!

Especially with anointing Evans to #1 all these years and basically no real production !!

Look at what Steve Smith does in Carolina year after year as #1 he produces & you can't say there QB's have been much better !!

Keep up the great observation of talent Bills fans !!!

All's i got to says is it's a good thing by reading some of the reply posts on here & it's painfully obvious why they don't allow fans to be coaches !!!

It's very apparent that Chan & Buddy not only have to change the mindset of the players to a winning one but also have to change that of the fans too !!

Because from what i'm reading you guys wouldn't know a talented wide out if they walked up & bit you in the ass !!!!!

Especially with anointing Evans to #1 all these years and basically no real production !!

Look at what Steve Smith does in Carolina year after year as #1 he produces & you can't say there QB's have been much better !!

Yes, I can, and will. If Lee Evans entire career was consistent with the games he's played w/ Trent Edwards under center you'd have a good point, but when Bledsoe was there he produced, when Losman was there he produced, with Fitz in there now he is producing.

I also saw Johnson drop a pass because of fear a few weeks ago. Its hard to get past that.

So one dropped pass completely negates the last 4 solid games he's played? Understandably we can't get too carried away and start anointing him the next Jerry Rice. Can't we all just enjoy the fact that just maybe one of our recent draft picks may pan out to be successful contributor to the Bills team and enjoy the ride?

Lee Evans is going to be double covered for as long as Fitz can make them pay for single coverage (the TD pass into triple coverage on Sunday notwitstanding. That was a ballsy throw). It doesn't matter if Stevie Johnson is the other wideout or not. Taking nothing away from Stevie, I like him, but he's yet to prove he has what it takes to be a consistent threat. Johnson will have to continue to exploit the single coverage he's enjoying because of the attention paid to Evans. Johnson's TD pass on Sunday was a perfect example of that; their safety was a bit preoccupied with Evans, he cheated too far over to that side and, again, Fitz made them pay.

But like I said, he has to show that for more than the few games he's shown it so far. Especially against great corners like the Jets have.

Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

It's very apparent that Chan & Buddy not only have to change the mindset of the players to a winning one but also have to change that of the fans too !! Because from what i'm reading you guys wouldn't know a talented wide out if they walked up & bit you in the ass !!!!!

They could start by conjuring up a single win.

= Peerless Price

There is also the possibility the bills do the same thing to him as they did to Jason Peters, who, though hurt now was doing a decent job for the eagles. Make him unhappy when he deserves a new contract and be forced to trade him so a position of strength is now a liability .

Not all bad qb play is created equal- someone throwing up the ball and throwing picks because he's taking too many risks will likely have WRs with bigger numbers then a guy that refuses to force it.

Now that Stevie is tied for 4th in TDs, and is clearly Fitzie's favorite target defenses can't "double Lee" all game long.

Plus you have the emergence of Shawn Nelson (besides the forward progression fumble he had a nice game) the field is going to get a lot bigger for Lee.

So Lee appears to have a QB that everyone can agree is atleast competent if not much better.

And in a similar vein Buddy Nix has to address Stevie Johnson's contract this off season.

He is under contract until 2011 season, but you don't wait until he is a restricted free agent to get someone that is clearly working hard and performing under contract. You get a new contract done the off season before free agency comes.

Take into account as well that Stevie is an unknown commodity right now and he has Evans on the other side freeing up coverage. We also have a QB that is doing his job in disecting the defense. I'm not ready to proclaim Stevie J a superstar just yet, but I am excited about the improvement he has shown. It's not just one man involved though.

Said Chris Kelsay.

Take into account as well that Stevie is an unknown commodity right now and he has Evans on the other side freeing up coverage. We also have a QB that is doing his job in disecting the defense. I'm not ready to proclaim Stevie J a superstar just yet, but I am excited about the improvement he has shown. It's not just one man involved though.

Exactly with Stevie getting 5 TDs and more yards than Lee Evans, defenses can't focus solely on Evans any more.

Defenses have to focus on the hot hand, so lets see what Lee Evans can do with a "bigger field" meaning less double covering.

Its show and prove time for Lee Evans.

Um, SJ still has a lot to prove himself. Dont get me wrong, I like this kid alot and liked him coming into the season, but honestly he has only been relevant in 2 games, and how relevant in one of those is debateable.

If you look at his games with Fitz, he was largely irrelevant in the 3 games coming into Balt until the game was all but over:

NE: 2 rec, 39 yards, 0 TD's for almost the whole game until a garbage time TD with 4 min left on the clock when NE was playing prevent and we were down 15

NJY: 2 rec, 18 yards, 0 TD's for the entire game until a garbage time 13 yard TD against backups and prevent with 2 min left in a blow out game

Jax: 4 rec, 39 yards, 1 TD until he got his 2nd TD of the day (another garbage time TD) against prevent with 1 min left in the game when we were down 16

Outside of the 1 TD earlier in the Jax game, he didnt have one TD that wasnt a late garbage time TD against prevent defenses until this past week. Not to mention a few key drops along the way. He is getting better, had a really good game against Balt, and I have always been high on him, but he really has only had one game where he was relevant during the parts of the game that mattered. So I would say, he still has a lot to prove himself before we start talking about him like he is pro bowler.

PS: Lee has been no slouch the last 2 weeks either with 11 rec, 192 yds, 17.5 ypc, and 4 TD's...thats a pretty impressive stat line...

Edited by Alphadawg7

Stevie = Moulds; Evans = Price. I've said all along Evans is a #2 WR. He had a good game last week because he was the secondary target.

I would be willing to bet you that opposing defenisve coordinators dont share this opinion with you as they dont view SJ as more dangerous then Lee or see SJ as the #1 target and the must stop guy.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I would be willing to bet you that opposing defenisve coordinators dont share this opinion with you and view SJ as more dangerous then Lee or that SJ is the #1 target and the must stop guy.

That's what I said, man. SJ-1, LE-2.

Stevie = Moulds; Evans = Price. I've said all along Evans is a #2 WR. He had a good game last week because he was the secondary target.

Evans had a good game last week because his QB took advantage of the few times Evans was singled up.

Stevie had a great game because of the double coverage Evans was getting most of the time and his QB was fantastic at recognizing it and exploiting it. Good for SJ that he was able to take advantage. His TD pass is a great example of the safety cheating too far to Evans' side and not being able to recover in time.

As long as Evans remains the primary deep threat, teams will continue to make him the focal point. Fitz will need to continue to make defenses pay for singling SJ or Evans.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

That's what I said, man. SJ-1, LE-2.

No, I am saying I would be willing to bet that opposing DC's dont see it as SJ 1 and LE 2. There all still game plan to stop Lee first and see him as the more dangerous option. You do realize that outside of the Balt game, SJ has been almost non existent between opening kickoff all the way until the final few minutes of the game against prevent D's because we were down big with just minutes left right?

So, I am sorry, but Lee is a highly respected threat across the league, and I can assure you that they are more afraid of him then an unproven 2nd year WR who has only had one really effective game, a game in which Lee had 3 touchdowns in.

The good news is that with Roscoe, Lee, and SJ they will have to respect the team more and not focus solely on Lee which will open the whole passing game up. SJ is a promising young WR, but he isnt the focal point of opposing DC's over Lee

Edited by Alphadawg7

really what you have seen is someone able to beat there man coverage....AND the quarterback throwing it them

that simply loosens things up for Evans and now you have two weapons at wide out.

I think the Myth is that LE is not a very good WR .

He would be Harrison in the Colt's system or Holt in the old Rams system if you will... Same guy for the most part. Same abilities for the most part.

This team is nowhere near the cap so I don't understand (never will) why we gotta get all over one of the team's few good players.

Yes, I can, and will. If Lee Evans entire career was consistent with the games he's played w/ Trent Edwards under center you'd have a good point, but when Bledsoe was there he produced, when Losman was there he produced, with Fitz in there now he is producing.

Produced, Produced what?

Lee Evans had 1 good season in his Career. 2006, when JP had that good year.

And 1 Ok year. 2008 when we started 4-0.

Other than those 20 games, Lee Evans has been garbage.

A true #1 can overcome a double team. Steve Smith hasn't had a decent receiving partner or QB in a long time but still has more 1000 yard seasons and TDs than Lee Evans.

And this this thread is about the fact that teams can't double Evans all game anymore so lets see what Lee can do.

I would be willing to bet you that opposing defenisve coordinators dont share this opinion with you as they dont view SJ as more dangerous then Lee or see SJ as the #1 target and the must stop guy.

Stevie has more targets, more yards, more TDs and more receptions, why would D-Cos not game plan for a team's #1 threat.

The point is now teams can't double Lee Evans because Stevie has made them pay the last 4 game.

BTW he only has 2 drops, Fred Jackson has 4 drops.

Um, SJ still has a lot to prove himself. Dont get me wrong, I like this kid alot and liked him coming into the season, but honestly he has only been relevant in 2 games, and how relevant in one of those is debateable.

If you look at his games with Fitz, he was largely irrelevant in the 3 games coming into Balt until the game was all but over:

NE: 2 rec, 39 yards, 0 TD's for almost the whole game until a garbage time TD with 4 min left on the clock when NE was playing prevent and we were down 15

NJY: 2 rec, 18 yards, 0 TD's for the entire game until a garbage time 13 yard TD against backups and prevent with 2 min left in a blow out game

Jax: 4 rec, 39 yards, 1 TD until he got his 2nd TD of the day (another garbage time TD) against prevent with 1 min left in the game when we were down 16

Outside of the 1 TD earlier in the Jax game, he didnt have one TD that wasnt a late garbage time TD against prevent defenses until this past week. Not to mention a few key drops along the way. He is getting better, had a really good game against Balt, and I have always been high on him, but he really has only had one game where he was relevant during the parts of the game that mattered. So I would say, he still has a lot to prove himself before we start talking about him like he is pro bowler.

PS: Lee has been no slouch the last 2 weeks either with 11 rec, 192 yds, 17.5 ypc, and 4 TD's...thats a pretty impressive stat line...

Nice breakdown, only nit picking here, but I doubt a team plays Prevent with 4 mins left in the game up by 2 Td; At least I wouldn't in Madden, I don't think Titychek would in real life.

Either way teams have to respect other receiving options going forward.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Produced, Produced what?

Lee Evans had 1 good season in his Career. 2006, when JP had that good year.

And 1 Ok year. 2008 when we started 4-0.

Other than those 20 games, Lee Evans has been garbage.

A true #1 can overcome a double team. Steve Smith hasn't had a decent receiving partner or QB in a long time but still has more 1000 yard seasons and TDs than Lee Evans.

And this this thread is about the fact that teams can't double Evans all game anymore so lets see what Lee can do.

Stevie has more targets, more yards, more TDs and more receptions, why would D-Cos not game plan for a team's #1 threat.

The point is now teams can't double Lee Evans because Stevie has made them pay the last 4 game.

BTW he only has 2 drops, Fred Jackson has 4 drops.

Nice breakdown, only nit picking here, but I doubt a team plays Prevent with 4 mins left in the game up by 2 Td; At least I wouldn't in Madden, I don't think Titychek would in real life.

Either way teams have to respect other receiving options going forward.

My only point was that outside of the Balt game, SJ was largely irrelevant through about 55 to 59 min of each of the previous 3 games, much like all our recievers. His two best games clearly are his last two, but over that same stretch Lee Evans has 11 rec, 192 yards, and 4 TD's. Seems to me that when we have a competent passing attack Lee is a pretty darn good WR. If Fitz can keep this up...more importantly, if the O Line can keep it up...then people we see just how bad DJ, Trent, and co. really stalled Lees career.

Lee is definitely the guy that scares other DC's and he is doubled every single game of pretty much the bulk of his career. With Roscoe also a dangerous threat to compliment these 2, and our running attack still dangerous, its going to be very hard to give any one player too much attention if they keep this up and that will open this up more. That is assuming that this Balt game (which is just one game) isnt a fluke and Fitz and the O Line can perform at good to high level moving forward.

I hope so as I picked up Lee and Fitz in fantasy...lol

Edited by Alphadawg7

How Many WRs come into the league and do diddly squat, its clear he is working hard at it SHOULD pay off for him.

That would be Steve Johnson except for a few games.

He has been here 3 years and because of a couple of games the Bills "SHOULD" pay him.

I hope so as I picked up Lee and Fitz in fantasy...lol

I did too.

I'm in a 12 team 27 man roster, dynasty league and when Trent Edwards got cut I dropped him and picked up Fitzy, because of BYE weeks I had to start him against the Pats.

I was ridiculed mercilessly before the games, after a top 5 QB performance of the week and a W for me the other guy got real quite.

I haven't had the balls to start him again though, but home vs DET is looking like a good chance.

(Incase there are any doubters, I'm the Freakin Ricans: http://football21.myfantasyleague.com/2010/weekly?L=35856&W=4)

That would be Steve Johnson except for a few games.

He has been here 3 years and because of a couple of games the Bills "SHOULD" pay him.

If thats what you think, you haven't been paying attention to how hard he has been working last year and this year. Not talking about stats.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Produced, Produced what?

Sorry, but Jake Delhomme has been a solid QB for all but 2 seasons of his career, and Steve Smith has played opposite either Musshin Mohammed or Keyshawn Johnson for the bulk of his career.

Somebody posted a stat line, and I don't have the time or inclination to track it down, but it showed that when anyone besides TE is QB Lee's numbers are on par with what you would expect of a top receiver in the league. Whether you want to call that a #1 or #2 I don't give a ****.

Sorry, but Jake Delhomme has been a solid QB for all but 2 seasons of his career, and Steve Smith has played opposite either Musshin Mohammed or Keyshawn Johnson for the bulk of his career.

Somebody posted a stat line, and I don't have the time or inclination to track it down, but it showed that when anyone besides TE is QB Lee's numbers are on par with what you would expect of a top receiver in the league. Whether you want to call that a #1 or #2 I don't give a ****.

Dude, Key retired in 2006 and Mush was in Chicago from 2005-2007.

Anyway. I'd like to see that state line.

JP's only pass was to close his eyes and rip long and hope Lee could catch it.

Produced, Produced what?

Yeah, I somehow missed this the first time around. This comparison is so played out and so far off base its not even funny. Jake DelHomme is light years better than anything Trent Edwards has ever been in college or the pros. Smith played on better teams. Smith for most of his career had a pretty good #2 opposite of him.

More importantly, the great Steve Smith isnt very good when his QB's arent very good. Look at his stat line this year:

Week 1 - 5 rec, 75 yds, 1 TD

Week 2 - 3 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD

Week 3 - 3 rec, 22 yds, 0 TD

Week 4 - 2 rec, 11 yds, 0 TD

Week 5 - DNP

Week 6 - Bye

Week 7 - 4 rec, 50 yds 0 TD

Thats a total of 17 rec, 224 yds, 2 TD's in FIVE games. Do you think Smith suddenly lost all of his talent, or maybe, just maybe his stats blow because his QB's absolutely blow this year too and there is no other talent at WR or TE around him.

Or what about 2009 when DelHomme had a dreadful year and Smiths totals were 65 rec, 982 yds, and 7 TD's...look familiar? Looks a lot like Lee's numbers when he has been stuck with ATROCIOUS QB play every year since his big year in 2006.

Yet all these people foolishly say Lee isnt a #1 while proclaiming Smith is, yet their careers exactly mirror the same results when playing with equally bad QB play. Thats the true Myth, not this thread

Edited by Alphadawg7

Yeah, I somehow missed this the first time around. This comparison is so played out and so far off base its not even funny. Jake DelHomme is light years better than anything Trent Edwards has ever been in college or the pros. Smith played on better teams. Smith for most of his career had a pretty good #2 opposite of him.

More importantly, the great Steve Smith isnt very good when his QB's arent very good. Look at his stat line this year:

Week 1 - 5 rec, 75 yds, 1 TD

Week 2 - 3 rec, 66 yds, 1 TD

Week 3 - 3 rec, 22 yds, 0 TD

Week 4 - 2 rec, 11 yds, 0 TD

Week 5 - DNP

Week 6 - Bye

Week 7 - 4 rec, 50 yds 0 TD

Thats a total of 17 rec, 224 yds, 2 TD's in FIVE games. Do you think Smith suddenly lost all of his talent, or maybe, just maybe his stats blow because his QB's absolutely blow this year too and there is no other talent at WR or TE around him.

Or what about 2009 when DelHomme had a dreadful year and Smiths totals were 65 rec, 982 yds, and 7 TD's...look familiar? Looks a lot like Lee's numbers when he has been stuck with ATROCIOUS QB play every year since his big year in 2006.

Yet all these people foolishly say Lee isnt a #1 while proclaiming Smith is, yet their careers exactly mirror the same results when playing with equally bad QB play. Thats the true Myth, not this thread

Myth: an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

"Lee Evans is a great WR with a bad QB, its OK to pay him 9.5 million a year."

The point of this is Stevie Johnson is slightly outperforming Lee Evans, Lee Evans gets to move from Myth to Hero if he can perform up to his potential now that the offense is showing signs of life a few weeks in a row.

The Jury is still out.