A Bold Prediction Concerning the QB's

I predict that the offense will suck as bad with Fitz at the helm, as it has with Edwards at the helm (I actually prefer Fitz's suck to Edward's suck, but it isn't really more effective, just different).

I also predict that the offense will suck WORSE with Brohm at the helm than with either Edwards or Fitz.

I post this to collect in one place, and make easy to find, all the Brohm lovers foolish claims. Stuff about "What is there to lose? and "We don't KNOW that he sucks yet". The coaches know. They see him everyday. I can picture an offense so bad that they will almost exclusively run the ball, and have at least one game without a completion beyond the line of scrimmage.

I know this is not news to most, but there seem to be some people that think this change is progress.

Edited by ThrowIt

I predict that the offense will suck as bad with Fitz at the helm, as it has with Edwards at the helm (I actually prefer Fitz's suck to Edward's suck, but it isn't really more effective, just different).

I also predict that the offense will suck WORSE with Brohm at the helm than with either Edwards or Fitz.

I post this to collect in one place, and make easy to find, all the Brohm lovers foolish claims. Stuff about "What is there to lose? and "We don't KNOW that he sucks yet". The coaches know. They see him everyday. I can picture an offense so bad that they will almost exclusively run the ball, and have at least one game without a completion beyond the line of scrimmage.

I know this is not news to most, but there seem to be some people that think this change is progress.

I really think you need to keep your suck preferences to yourself...children may be reading this.

Edited by WotAGuy

THROWIT,

Despite all of the prognosticators, in all of the newspapers, I think you nailed it.

GO JILLS!

:worthy:

Did you read what I wrote? I know YOU understand PTR, but there plenty that seem to think Brohm is this diamond in the rough that just hasn't had a chance to sparkle.

Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta put it under the microscope to prove it's cubic zirconia, though. :devil:

I'm so glad we as fans have great football minds such as yours to turn to , to help clarify the things that our puny little minds just don't understand about the game -------

Thank You so Very much i will look forward to your daily post so i know just what way to think about the future of the team ..... Again Thank You !!!! :w00t:

The coaches also chose Edwards to be the starter thinking he could do it. Two games in, Edwards has been benched (probably for good).

The coaches made choices. Which one was a wrong one?

Edited by Cynical

Would these be the same coaches that went all off season, through training camp, preseason and into the season with Trent Edwards as the #1 QB? Now after 2 weeks of completely inept football, they've concluded what many of us have known for a year... Trent isn't a starter in this league.

So, excuse me if I don't have as much confidence as you do in our coaching staff to know who is or is not the best player to start. So far, they've done little to nothing to impress me or show a basic level of competence.

I hear Jeff George still wants to play. The Bills should give him a call.

I really think you need to keep your suck preferences to yourself...children may be reading this.

You know what? Sometimes when I am responding to posts I think to myself "This is probably some 13 year old".

If you are indeed serious, I suggest you home school your children

The coaches also chose Edwards to be the starter thinking he could do it. Two games in, Edwards has been benched (probably for good).

The coaches made choices. Which one was a wrong one?

The point is, there is no real choice!

Would these be the same coaches that went all off season, through training camp, preseason and into the season with Trent Edwards as the #1 QB? Now after 2 weeks of completely inept football, they've concluded what many of us have known for a year... Trent isn't a starter in this league.

So, excuse me if I don't have as much confidence as you do in our coaching staff to know who is or is not the best player to start. So far, they've done little to nothing to impress me or show a basic level of competence.

This is the kind of post I was looking for!

Does anybody else wonder what would have happened if TE had completed that screen pass to Freddie, the very first play of the Miami game.

No

These coaches gave Edwards every chance to prove he was an NFL quarterback and he failed. So now they are moving on.

Simple as that! And I thought they were grasping for straws....

Does anybody else wonder what would have happened if TE had completed that screen pass to Freddie, the very first play of the Miami game.

yes, actually i do. the dude had momentum and confidence in the pre-season and he's the type of guy who needs those 2 intangibles to be successful and without those 2, he's an absolute joke.

but ive thought about it - mostly after the first game. that single incompletion deflated that pre-season momentum he had and he went RIGHT back to being the 09' trent.

but thats the difference between a good nfl qb and a guy like him. he just doesnt have the demeanor needed among many other things.

I don't recall anyone here anointing Brohm as a savior, or the QB of the future. Everyone has acknowledged that he would struggle as a starter. The difference is, he has room to grow and improve. The prior starter has had over 3 years of playing experience at the NFL level and has FAILED to improve. That is fact. Somehow, this fact made its way past Chan Gailey. Actually, I believe Gailey was arrogant enough to think that he could make Trent into a serviceable QB.

The argument was such: rather than seeing a veteran continue to fail, why not bring in the young guy, who has at one point enjoyed a level of success (10,000+ yds and 70 TDs at Louisville). I understand that you dislike Brohm as a player, but you have absolutely no reason to hate him just yet. He has not proven to play "Trentative" on the field..

Edited by JayBaller10

I don't recall anyone here anointing Brohm as a savior, or the QB of the future. Everyone has acknowledged that he would struggle as a starter. The difference is, he has room to grow and improve. The prior starter has had over 3 years of playing experience at the NFL level and has FAILED to improve. That is fact. Somehow, this fact made its way past Chan Gailey. Actually, I believe Gailey was arrogant enough to think that he could make Trent into a serviceable QB.

The argument was such: rather than seeing a veteran continue to fail, why not bring in the young guy, who has at one point enjoyed a level of success (10,000+ yds and 70 TDs at Louisville). I understand that you dislike Brohm as a player, but you have absolutely no reason to hate him just yet. He has not proven to play "Trentative" on the field..

Nailed it.

Your statement would be true if the Bills had actually assembled an NFL ready offensive line in front of him. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

These coaches gave Edwards every chance to prove he was an NFL quarterback and he failed. So now they are moving on.

Your statement would be true if the Bills had actually assembled an NFL ready offensive line in front of him. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Wood, Levitre, Bell, and Meredith all have less experience than Edwards. Yet, you're convinced the OL is completely at fault, and the 4th year QB Edwards is still on the bubble?

given the fact that you thought it necessary to start two threads on qbs in the span of eight hours, and acknowledged that this is really "not news to most," and then contradicted yourself in your opening paragraph by attempting to explain how you prefer one to the other but kinda maybe don't, let me then take issue with how this could at all be quantified as you put it, "a bold prediction"?

scratchingmyhead-emoticon.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Fitz has better legs in the pocket when there is one for you guys, his mobility is a lot better than Edwards too, he can buy more time while waiting for routs to develop down the field for you guys. I'm convinced that Edwards is not the answer for the Bills, he's had one year of injury and has proven nothing else.

Although, it must be hard to be a decent QB with such an O-Line.

Unfortunately, sometimes you gotta put it under the microscope to prove it's cubic zirconia, though. :devil:

2010 regular season is no different than pre season. Winning and losing are relevant but not so much as other years. Give Brohm a shot. In a home game. Lets see them all. Not sure the coaches know what they have. Who cares? Give us Levi Brown.

Trent's NFL career is probably over. Not sure he is even Todd Collins. I do not think he even gets a sniff at backup QB. And to think we were pulling for him for pro bowl less than 24 mos. ago.

Since we are making predictions.... I believe Fitz will be more effective, take less sacks, run for positive yardage and rally the team.

Brohm will have problems with Sacks but make some really pretty throws. Brohm will need much better protection then Fitz and I doubt that will happen this year.

given the fact that you thought it necessary to start two threads on qbs in the span of eight hours, and acknowledged that this is really "not news to most," and then contradicted yourself in your opening paragraph by attempting to explain how you prefer one to the other but kinda maybe don't, let me then take issue with how this could at all be quantified as you put it, "a bold prediction"?

scratchingmyhead-emoticon.

jw

You seem like a deep thinker. Do you think I consider it a bold prediction?

Here ya' go. None of the QB's are gonna get it done, and clamoring for Brohm when the guy has basically been declared marginal by 2 teams is silly. And this offense could actually get worse.

Well, I happen to think it is progress.

Not because Fitz is markedly better than Edwards, but for another reason: it shows that the coaching staff will hold players accountable. It shows that Gailey believes that piss poor play is unacceptable, and I don't think it's the last example of that mindset that we'll see. I think it will continue. Guys like Cornell Green, Chris Kelsay, etc. who's play is not up to par will be benched. Now, there may not be anybody else on the roster that can do the job better, and that's the part that--as a fan--sticks in your craw, but the simple idea that a player needs to perform to keep their job is a much-needed jolt to this team.

Like I said, I can only hope it continues with other players and positions (and with Fitzpatrick, assuming he also performs below an NFL level).

Give Fitzpatrick a few games, if he can actually complete passes to wide receivers, then let him have the rest of the season. He is a serviceable NFL backup on ANY team and I believe he may be auditioning for that role here long term. If he sucks every bit as bad as Edwards, you HAVE to let Brohm play the rest of the season no matter how bad he sucks.

Here ya' go. None of the QB's are gonna get it done, and clamoring for Brohm when the guy has basically been declared marginal by 2 teams is silly. And this offense could actually get worse.

Actually, I don't think he's been declared 'marginal' by any team - just a few posters on TSW - but let's see...Kurt Warner was cut by Green Bay, then (after a stint as a HyVee grocery store stock boy) sat on the bench in St. Louis as their #3 QB behind Tony Banks and Steve Bono.

So yeah, let's not see how Brohm might do with our starting WRs and offensive line - 'cause there's no chance that a guy might step up, given the opportunity.

(And I really find it hard to believe this offense could get worse - if it does, we should really reconsider the 'offensive guru' we hired.)

Edited by The Senator

Not because Fitz is markedly better than Edwards, but for another reason: it shows that the coaching staff will hold players accountable. It shows that Gailey believes that piss poor play is unacceptable, and I don't think it's the last example of that mindset that we'll see. I think it will continue. Guys like Cornell Green, Chris Kelsay, etc. who's play is not up to par will be benched. Now, there may not be anybody else on the roster that can do the job better, and that's the part that--as a fan--sticks in your craw, but the simple idea that a player needs to perform to keep their job is a much-needed jolt to this team.

Preach on.

If the starter refuses/is unwillingly to produce like he supposed to, play the damn back up.

This team needs to find people who want to win, who will bust their azz in order to do so.

This is just a start. Expect more.

You seem like a deep thinker. Do you think I consider it a bold prediction?

i try to dispel any notion of thinking at the best of times, and yet, despite that, i still can't fathom what's considered truly bold here especially when you couch your prediction by suggesting "things could actually get worse." yes, as a matter of fact, they could. by your own account, you open the door that things may actually get better.

maybe you should bold what you regard as being bold to help the rest of us.

jw

I hear ya but there are gamers and there are practice guys. They may have to see that Fitz or Brohm could be gamers. Hopefully the coaching staff was honest and Trent truly did win the starting job in practice and preseason. They thought he was their best option to open the season with.

They unfortunately had to see first hand that Trent is NOT a gamer. We know what we'll get with Fitz. Competent but not stellar play with a little game. Brohm could turn out to be a real gamer for all we know. I do not think he will or won't be a gamer and have nothing to base either claim on. We won't know anything until he gets a chance if Fitz doesn't provide the "spark" they are looking for.

I don't care who we go with as long as we don't waste one more down with Trent.

Edited by PDaDdy

Fitzpatrick did more with less last year, and as I posted yesterday, that video of Fitzpatrick's throw to Owens during the Jacksonville game graphically demonstrates the differences between Fitzpatrick and Edwards.

Fitzpatrick attempted that throw. Edwards wouldn't have dared.

The change in quarterbacks was the right move. And yes, it will make a difference.

Like I said, I can only hope it continues with other players and positions (and with Fitzpatrick, assuming he also performs below an NFL level).

I can accept this reasoning. It is good to send that message, but I think the effort is there. The quarterbacks are all below par talent-wise, and the offensive lineplay just magnifies their deficiencies. They don't need a jolt, they need better players. The QB's and offensive line will be in constant rotation if that approach is used.

i try to dispel any notion of thinking at the best of times, and yet, despite that, i still can't fathom what's considered truly bold here especially when you couch your prediction by suggesting "things could actually get worse." yes, as a matter of fact, they could. by your own account, you open the door that things may actually get better.

maybe you should bold what you regard as being bold to help the rest of us.

jw

Did you read each of the posts, or do you have a plate in your head?

I don’t see why this is so tough to get. There were 3 QB's, based on camp and practice. One guy looked better and the decision makers didn't know there was a game pressure issue, how would they? The game time pressure we saw in games one and two were not seen in camp and practice. They hoped a good O scheme would lead to success and I am sure any good coach thinks if a guy has the physical tools they can fix any head cases.

They gave Trent a shot, he failed now he is done. Not sure why everyone chooses to keep harping on it. Lets move on. We will see Fitz be a grittier play making better calls on the field, but he is going to miss a lot of throws.

Where does the bold prediction part enter into it?

I don’t see why this is so tough to get. There were 3 QB's, based on camp and practice. One guy looked better and the decision makers didn't know there was a game pressure issue, how would they? The game time pressure we saw in games one and two were not seen in camp and practice. They hoped a good O scheme would lead to success and I am sure any good coach thinks if a guy has the physical tools they can fix any head cases.

They gave Trent a shot, he failed now he is done. Not sure why everyone chooses to keep harping on it. Lets move on. We will see Fitz be a grittier play making better calls on the field, but he is going to miss a lot of throws.

You're right, they probably didn't look at his previous three years and 30+ starts worth of tape. If they did, there's no way he would've been favored from the start.

WotAGuy, on 20 September 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

You know what? Sometimes when I am responding to posts I think to myself "This is probably some 13 year old".

If you are indeed serious, I suggest you home school your children

Aww, c'mon Dude...you gotta admit you left yourself open for that one.....it's all in jest....at least for me! B-)