Haynesworth Demands Trade

FLFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5290404

I did not see this posted anywhere (so maybe nobody cares) but as expected Fat Albert is a no show in Washington and demanding a trade. This is one Snyder mistake that will keep paying dividends for the Redskin's opponents for quite some time. It will be interesting to see if Shanahan can actually instill some team first attitude with the rest of the players. Haynesworth is the epitomy of the problem with this team for years. Not Bills related really (unless someone thinks we should trade for this turd) but kind of funny given last year's hype over the signing.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to side with him. He is not an NT and never has been. Apperantly the Skins have been thinking of going to the 3-4 before they signed him and he said he never would have signed with them knowing that.

He got a 20 mill bonus in April, he may have to repay that in order to get traded. Also I don't know who the hell is willing to eat that contract.

The prime example of whats wrong with professional sports, and why there may be no NFL next year.

Guy just made 34 million dollars in 13 months and now he want to be traded. Shut up and do what you are asked and stop being a little sally about it.

The prime example of whats wrong with professional sports, and why there may be no NFL next year.

Guy just made 34 million dollars in 13 months and now he want to be traded. Shut up and do what you are asked and stop being a little sally about it.

in fairness, his beef is NOT about money. it's about playing a position he is not suited for, or doesnt want to play.

if the Redskins would have tried moving Bruce Smith from DE to OLB, he would've been pissed too.

but I agree that the situation the team and player finds themselves in with that huge contract, is a great example of what is wrong with professional sports.

Again he is doing nothing wrong. He never would have went to Washington if they had been straight with him on their desire to play the 3-4. he is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. He penetrates and disrupts the backfield, not sit and take up space.

I would agree to give back a prorated portion of the signing bonus in lieu of a trade.

Again he is doing nothing wrong. He never would have went to Washington if they had been straight with him on their desire to play the 3-4. he is a 4-3 DT, not a 3-4 NT. He penetrates and disrupts the backfield, not sit and take up space.

I would agree to give back a prorated portion of the signing bonus in lieu of a trade.

there is a point on that side... but players change positions all the time. theyre not asking him to change to the offensive side of the ball. Stroud isnt pissing and moaning about our change. for $100mil, go play where ever they ask you to.

London Fletcher has some VERY interesting things to say here...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5292862

"Albert made a very selfish decision," veteran linebacker London Fletcher said. "When you decide to play a team sport, you have to look at it and think about everybody involved in the situation. This is not golf, tennis, things like that, where it's an all-about-you sport. What he's decided to do is make a decision based on all-about-him.

"It's no different than his attitude and approach to last year's defense, about wanting everything to revolve around him and him making plays. And if it didn't benefit him, he wasn't really willing to do it."

and ICE, in response to:

you have this:

Coach Mike Shanahan revealed that the Redskins told Haynesworth in February that they would agree to release him and let him go to another team -- in exchange for not paying him a $21 million bonus due April 1.

"Obviously, he took the check," Shanahan said, "so I was surprised he wasn't here today. ... Don't take our check and then say that, hey, you don't want to be part of our organization."

so you tell me...

I did not see this posted anywhere (so maybe nobody cares) but as expected Fat Albert is a no show in Washington and demanding a trade. This is one Snyder mistake that will keep paying dividends for the Redskin's opponents for quite some time. It will be interesting to see if Shanahan can actually instill some team first attitude with the rest of the players. Haynesworth is the epitomy of the problem with this team for years. Not Bills related really (unless someone thinks we should trade for this turd) but kind of funny given last year's hype over the signing.

Phew. I though this was going to be a "lets trade for Albert" post. Agree with everything you say. Sure he would rather play the position that he's fit for, but London Fletcher is right- This is a team sport and he should be there with his team.

Personally, I get a warm fuzzy feeling reading this stuff. Dan Snyder's a punk ass know it all who thinks b/c he knows car dealerships he knows football. I love watching this guy eat it.

This could have a positive ripple effect too as owners may be less inclined to guarantee that kind of money for fear of a similar situation.

I have to side with him. He is not an NT and never has been. Apperantly the Skins have been thinking of going to the 3-4 before they signed him and he said he never would have signed with them knowing that.

He got a 20 mill bonus in April, he may have to repay that in order to get traded. Also I don't know who the hell is willing to eat that contract.

He got 41 million not 20, and he's 350 lbs. How much bigger do you think you have to be in order to play nose. Another reason why the NFL is out of control. Some owners pay huge bucks to have a guy say he's not comfortable???? If you get that kind of money, you better play. What's he want to go to another team and demand a pay raise too I bet. Make him sit it out and fine him and then make him ride the bench until he is of no use to anyone. If you make your bed, then sleep in it.

I hope the folks who think caving in to a player's money demand is always the answer pay attention to this. When they want to be the highest paid, they stopped caring about the game.

PTR

Just like Peyton Manning.

What a difference between this piece of S..t and some of our own Bills. We switch to a 3-4 and you see Stroud, who has not played DE come to OTAs having lost weight so he can transition to a new position. We move Kelsey from DE, which he wasn't that good at, to OLB, he takes it in stride and will bust his ass to make the transition. Kyle Williams goes to the probowl as an alternate as a DT, we draft a natural NT, who will take some plays from Williams, yet we haven't heard Williams B word a bit.

We may not win as many games this year as we all want them to, but I really like the attitude of a lot of our players. In the immortal words of Darryl Talley, "This is a team dammit!"

I hope the folks who think caving in to a player's money demand is always the answer pay attention to this. When they want to be the highest paid, they stopped caring about the game.

PTR

That is why Carolina was willing to let Peppers walk. I am really praying that the next CBA that comes out reduces the salary cap and owners quit paying huge bonuses to these clowns.

He got 41 million not 20, and he's 350 lbs. How much bigger do you think you have to be in order to play nose. Another reason why the NFL is out of control. Some owners pay huge bucks to have a guy say he's not comfortable???? If you get that kind of money, you better play. What's he want to go to another team and demand a pay raise too I bet. Make him sit it out and fine him and then make him ride the bench until he is of no use to anyone. If you make your bed, then sleep in it.

IMO, it's not that he isn't big enough, it's more about the nature of the NT position. The NT position is a two gap position, so Albert would be responsible for watching two spots on the line, all while having two 300+ lb. offensive linemen banging on him. It's a tough position to play, which is why good NT's are so hard to find.

Sounds like Albert doesn't think that big check he took earlier this year is enough.

Someone should step on HIS face. :devil:

IMO, it's not that he isn't big enough, it's more about the nature of the NT position. The NT position is a two gap position, so Albert would be responsible for watching two spots on the line, all while having two 300+ lb. offensive linemen banging on him. It's a tough position to play, which is why good NT's are so hard to find.

Sounds like Albert doesn't think that big check he took earlier this year is enough.

so that first $100million only buys watching ONE spot on the line?

Haynesworth needs to stay in a 4-3. Im surprised that they would put him at the NT, and not try him at DE. He may be a little big, but his strength and penetration ability would be huge against the run. And DE in a 3-4 seems a little more like what he would be used to....

I also said penetration ability...

get it.

Haynesworth needs to stay in a 4-3. Im surprised that they would put him at the NT, and not try him at DE. He may be a little big, but his strength and penetration ability would be huge against the run. And DE in a 3-4 seems a little more like what he would be used to....

I dont think it matters which position they make him, it sounds like he doesnt want to be anywhere in a 3-4, or anywhere other than at DT. i dont know though.

I also said penetration ability...

get it.

LOL :devil:

I'm not sure how that could have been predicted considering it is a completely different coaching staff?

Also, they gave him the ability to seek a trade before the April 1st bonus was to be paid out. He opted to accept the $20 million bonus.

This is embarrassing. Both for the Redskins, and for Fat Albert (even though he's too ego-driven to understand).

I applaud London Fletcher coming out and blasting Fat Albert today. London is a guy I wish we still had, and to hear him come out and call Haynesworth for what he is is priceless.

I dont think it matters which position they make him, it sounds like he doesnt want to be anywhere in a 3-4, or anywhere other than at DT. i dont know though.

Yeah its obvious that he just wants the money and the ability to disappear on gameday. Those two "huge" seasons he had were both contract years. That was the big knock on him was his lack of desire in non contract seasons.

I love that the 'skins are so screwed up too.

just saw Shanahan's full comments on ESPN. What was missing from the article, I added in bold:

"Obviously, he took the check," Shanahan said, "so I was surprised he wasn't here today. If you take that check, we expect you to be the best Defensive End, best Nose Tackle, the best FREE SAFETY if we decide to play you at Free Safety... that you can be.... Don't take our check and then say that, hey, you don't want to be part of our organization."

and i agree. unless something is specifically stated in his contract, and it doesn't seem like there is, then for $100million (or even the $21mil roster check he took), he should show up and do whatever they want him to do.

he had until 4/1 to find a new team. he didnt. he took the redskins check instead. he is theirs.

in fairness, his beef is NOT about money. it's about playing a position he is not suited for, or doesnt want to play.

Sorry guys, but that's a load of crap. He is suited to play NT just fine. He just doesn't want to play NT because he won't have as many stats. He's a selfish POS and I'd feel sorry for the team that bought into his hype --- if it wasn't the Redskins.

Just like Peyton Manning.

There was no question that Peyton was going to be the highest paid QB. There wasn't a lot of acrimony in that situation. He didn't demand to be the highest paid, he played like he was the highest paid. The situations are incredibly different.

If you disagree then you're likely reaching to try to make a point.

Sorry guys, but that's a load of crap. He is suited to play NT just fine. He just doesn't want to play NT because he won't have as many stats. He's a selfish POS and I'd feel sorry for the team that bought into his hype --- if it wasn't the Redskins.

You nailed it. Haynesworth, if his heart was in it, could end up being a GREAT NT. He has all the physical tools you'd want in an NT and more. I don't buy the crap about only being suited to a 4-3, either. He's a great tackle. Period. He'd give centers and guards nightmares with his strength and quickness, freeing up LBs to make tackles.

Gee, I think I just described the function of a 3-4 NT.

GO BILLS!!!

i agree completely.

The Redskins did not know that they were going to a 3-4 defense in 2010 when they signed him in 2010....A new regime came in and felt that their best shot at winning is a 3-4 defense. The team can either coax a player to convert to the new system or ship them out. Unfortunately, due to the contract shape and size, the second alternative is not feasible. The Redskins understand that their hands are tied, but that is not their fault.

It is one of those strange things that happen in life...Haynesworth has to suck up the problem and play...It is not like he is being asked to move to Safety...

The problem (as explained in NFL Network a while ago) is as follows: Hayneswoth is a attacking DT who likes to create havoc in the backfield as a free lancer. He gets sacks and has parlayed that into a huge contract. Now playing the NT means you stick to your position and the # of sacks go down, which means his highlight reels go down....Also, the NT takes a physical toll since you are now blocked by the Center and the Guard....

My point is that you took so much money, you have to be flexible enough to move around for the team. That is where you show whether you are a team player or not.

That is why Carolina was willing to let Peppers walk. I am really praying that the next CBA that comes out reduces the salary cap and owners quit paying huge bonuses to these clowns.

I disagree...This is a violent sport and without these players this league is nothing. They deserve all the money.....Now once they get that money, they need to play as a TEAM.....

+1

If he put his mind to it, he could be the best NT in the NFL.

This is embarrassing. Both for the Redskins, and for Fat Albert (even though he's too ego-driven to understand).

I applaud London Fletcher coming out and blasting Fat Albert today. London is a guy I wish we still had, and to hear him come out and call Haynesworth for what he is is priceless.

I completely agree. I'm glad London told it how it is. Screw the selfish bastards. Only team players need apply.

They also offered to cut him before the bonus was paid so he could go find a 4-3 team as a FA, but he said no, I want the $$$, and now he's crying.

sorry darth, but there is something very wrong about that.

they offered him the perfect solution. instead he took the $$$. Grow up Albert and play out the contract you agreed to.

Darth, Nice comment. Most people don't have a friggin clue. All they can come up with is statements like....."If they paid me XXX amount of dollars to play a kids game, I would shut up and take it like a man. Not many can look outside of their own box. Good stuff.

I completely agree. I'm glad London told it how it is. Screw the selfish bastards. Only team players need apply.

i remember the days of people complaining about London Fletcher and the old 'he makes tackles ten yards downfield'. Hindsight is 20-20, but that guy has got to be one of the top 10 players to have ever played the game considering enthusiasm, durability, athleticism, heart, span of career, and leadership by example. good for him.

haynesworth is who he is, and if not this, something else. he is not london fletcher.