Who is the GREATEST Bill of All-Time ??

papazoid

EDIT: i'm talking players only.....on-field.

i'm going to say Thurman Thomas......

League MVP.....and best all around all purpose RB to ever play the game !!

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

**EDIT (stolen from the "wildrabbit"):

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OJ Simpson - everyone else a distant 2nd.

regarding Thurman thomas I can argue he's only the 4th best RB we ever had behind Cookie & OJ & Joe Cribbs

Cribbs was 4 yrs and 4 probowls....returned punts and led the Bills in both receiving and rushing in 1983.

Thurman had good fortune to come along as the RB in the no huddle....while Thurman was taken out of the game on 3rd downs his rookie year....joe Cribbs was running & receiving and returning punts to a start in the pro bowl his rookie year starting alongside earl campbell...

In general I think the players from the Knox era are a bit overlooked when it comes to all time selections

regarding Thurman thomas I can argue he's only the 4th best RB we ever had behind Cookie & OJ & Joe Cribbs

Cribbs was 4 yrs and 4 probowls....returned punts and led the Bills in both receiving and rushing in 1983.

Thurman had good fortune to come along as the RB in the no huddle....while Thurman was taken out of the game on 3rd downs his rookie year....joe Cribbs was running & receiving and returning punts to a start in the pro bowl his rookie year starting alongside earl campbell...

In general I think the players from the Knox era are a bit overlooked when it comes to all time selections

OJ and Cookie can't argue those choices. OJ was clearly the best Bill but he is not the politically correct answer.

Joe Cribbs and Thurman I would reverse just because of longevity but Cribbs was a monster. He carried the the Bills. I hated to see him go. He had HOF potential but decided to go for the USFL bucks.

Can't leave out Bruce as well.

its tough to say o.j had the electric co. cribbs had fergie and thurmun had kelly and reed.you could say bruce smith but he had guys up front that made him who he is.its a tough callbut i would say BRUUUUUCE

You realize what OJ had on opening day of his 2003 season?

QB was a rookie 3rd round draft pick starting 1st game ever

TE Paul Seymour starting his 1st NFL game ever

OG Joe D was starting his first game ever

gee you think they might have put 8 in the box? He still rushed for 250yrds that day

its tough to say o.j had the electric co. cribbs had fergie and thurmun had kelly and reed.you could say bruce smith but he had guys up front that made him who he is.its a tough callbut i would say BRUUUUUCE

Please inform us all who bruce had up front to help 'make him' ????

If anything bruce produced in spite of not being placed in a 4 man front like Reggie White had the luxury of playing in

It's tough to decide. Gilchrist was the best all around player, absolutely no question, plus he won a championship. However, he was only with the Bills 3 seasons, so I'm not so sure. OJ was the best pure runner, Kelly the best QB and Smith was the best overall defensive player but none of them produced a title. Thomas might also merit consideration, but again, no championship.

I'm going to go ahead and say Jim Kelly. He never played for another NFL team and was the face of the franchise from the day he arrived, for 11 season. He led the team to it's most prolonged period of success and although never won the big one, he did help the team get there 4 times and played pretty well in two of the four games (and left a third due to injury with his team in the lead).

I love Thurman. Don't get me wrong. Incredible running back who had quickness, versatility and great vision. That being said, I think that Thurman benefited greatly from the Bills offensive philosophy, dangerous passing game and incredible beast of an Oline.

Thurman is not nearly as productive without those factors...

Bill Polian. He drafted some of the greatest players in Bills history. With out Bill, I don't know if we would have been to 4 consecutive superbowls.

If this isn't exclusive to players. I have to say Ralph. He made it all possible. Polian is a good choice though.

The greatest pure talent: O.J. Simpson

Bruce Smith was the greatest defensive player

Jim Kelly was the most important player. On top of that he was the only one of these three who stayed in WNY and can be seen on most gamedays in the stadium, long after his retirement.

So, for his time on the field, off the field & post retirement career, plus the fact he's the only player Ralph has seen fit to retire his number, my vote goes to Jim Kelly.

EDIT: i'm talking players only.....on-field.

#1- Thurman

#2- Bruce

#3- O.J.

#4- Cookie

#5- Kelly

OJ Simpson. Even though he is a :beer: of a human.

OJ was the best Bill. Anyone who saw him play on a consistent basis would probably agree with that. In terms of being illusive in the open field no one who ever played the game came close, including Jim Brown. How many times did two defenders come from two different directions to tackle OJ and he faked out both of them at the same time such that the two defenders smacked hard into each other and ended up on the ground while he sped through them for a touchdown. When OJ got past the line of scrimmage a thrill used to go down my back because of the potential for something amazing to happen on every play.

I loved Cribbs and Thurman and of course Kelly and Bruce but OJ was a one time only in history NFL talent. Other RBs may have had better numbers and better strength, but no one did what OJ did on the field.

I love Thurman. Don't get me wrong. Incredible running back who had quickness, versatility and great vision. That being said, I think that Thurman benefited greatly from the Bills offensive philosophy, dangerous passing game and incredible beast of an Oline.

Thurman is not nearly as productive without those factors...

What most fail to realize is... the Bills used the running game to set up the pass. The Bills used to run more then they threw the ball in the Kelly era. While the Bills O line was better then most, it wasn't even close to what Emmitt Smith had in Dallas.

If you go back and look at what Thurman Thomas did, 5x pro bowls-1991 NFL MVP-1992 NFL offensive player of the year.

Thurman Thomas is the only NFL player to lead the league in total yards from scrimmage for four consecutive seasons.

Now considering he almost never caught the ball while in college it is amazing that he is one of six NFL backs to have over 400 receptions and 10,000 yards rushing. He is also one of five backs to have rushed for over 1,000 yards for 8 consecutive seasons. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of playoffs stats and other stuff. Just think, this kid kept Barry Sanders on the bench in College.

The guy was like 70% of the offense in Buffalo, he gets my vote.

OJ was the best Bill. Anyone who saw him play on a consistent basis would probably agree with that. In terms of being illusive in the open field no one who ever played the game came close, including Jim Brown. How many times did two defenders come from two different directions to tackle OJ and he faked out both of them at the same time such that the two defenders smacked hard into each other and ended up on the ground while he sped through them for a touchdown. When OJ got past the line of scrimmage a thrill used to go down my back because of the potential for something amazing to happen on every play.

I loved Cribbs and Thurman and of course Kelly and Bruce but OJ was a one time only in history NFL talent. Other RBs may have had better numbers and better strength, but no one did what OJ did on the field.

Bruce and OJ are the only two Bills that are clearly in the top 3 all time at their respective positions maybe Tasker but thats it. At the time of retirement OJ was #2 in rushing yards second only to Jim Brown. Bruce is #1 all time sacks. No other Bills have this type of status. Believe it or not I believe Andre Reed was in the top 3 in yards or catches when he retired as well.

If the question is greatest player, I'd go with OJ...just edging out Bruce. For sheer talent, he was spectacular. In any game, at any time, wherever the Bills were on the field, he was a threat to go all the way.

On a side note, it's amazing how lucky Buffalo sports fans were in the 70's. You had OJ playing for the Bills. Gil Perreault & the French Connection on the Sabres, and Bob McAdoo on the Braves.

If yer talking pure talent, it begins and ends with Bruce Smith. All the other players are great...but Bruce is an all world great.

It is a difficult call, no question. You could make a case for any of them. Clearly though, on the defensive side it was Bruce Smith.